test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How about a merchant on Nukara Prime?

cusashorncusashorn Member Posts: 461
I know that Nukara Prime is almost the last type of environment to set up shop, but with all the loot that the Tholians drop, is there any chance that a simple merchant, a quartermaster, if you will - can be added to the base camp? Just something we can dump all those excess EV suits and tribbles on instead of taking the bare minimum from the replicator.
"My frozen dairy-based confectionery attracts all the males of the species to the facilities. They all agree on it's superiority. Indeed, it is superior to yours. I could teach you the finer details but that would require monetary recompense on your part."
-The Milkshake Song: Vulcan Edition
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by cusashorn on

Comments

• cusashorncusashorn Member Posts: 461
    edited July 2012
    Nobody else is tired of warping to sector space just to summon the Azura to sell off your stuff or just take bare minimum from the replicator?
    "My frozen dairy-based confectionery attracts all the males of the species to the facilities. They all agree on it's superiority. Indeed, it is superior to yours. I could teach you the finer details but that would require monetary recompense on your part."
    -The Milkshake Song: Vulcan Edition
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • binarylogicbinarylogic Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I completely agree, there absolutely needs to be someone at the base camps that you can sell all your unwanted drops to. Considering that after the first time that fought the Tholians I came away with 4 EVA suits!
    I mean if Cryptic needs a reason to add a quartermaster to the map for us to dump our drops then they could have them sell you Tholian related items and consumables for EC's and Dilithium.

P.S. I wouldn't mind having the exchange and bank access, but I suppose that those are reserved for social maps only.:(
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I do like it, although a good idea is to just not open the boxes you get until you are ready. That helps a lot on not getting a flood of items so quickly.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    You can see Drozana station from Nukara prime.

So what 10 seconds to beam up, 15 to fly over, 10 seconds to warp in, and 10 seconds to beam aboard.

OMG those are 35 seconds of my life I'll never get back!! :eek:

Really people? Would you like the Tholians to line up for you too? :(
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    No thanks. I feel its important to keep the choice in for people to either recycle their loot via replicator or make the effort to get a better return elsewhere. That might sound like a punishing game mechanic unfit for this era of games, but I like it that way.

We already have far too many services "on demand". Sure its the 25th Century, but its also supposed to be a game. A multiplayer one at that. Going off to the shops is one of the few ways we get to even see other people in this game and it fosters the chance to meet and speak to people.

(I was very glad to see they didn't actually add an EV suit vendor to Nukara either, despite the obvious option of the D-Store. It made some people think "Where can I get my hands on an EV suit then? hmm, perhaps I'll try and find out." A game should challenge one's thinking in more ways than just boss fights.)
  • kimmerakimmera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    nynik wrote: »
    No thanks. I feel its important to keep the choice in for people to either recycle their loot via replicator or make the effort to get a better return elsewhere. That might sound like a punishing game mechanic unfit for this era of games, but I like it that way.

We already have far too many services "on demand". Sure its the 25th Century, but its also supposed to be a game. A multiplayer one at that. Going off to the shops is one of the few ways we get to even see other people in this game and it fosters the chance to meet and speak to people.

(I was very glad to see they didn't actually add an EV suit vendor to Nukara either, despite the obvious option of the D-Store. It made some people think "Where can I get my hands on an EV suit then? hmm, perhaps I'll try and find out." A game should challenge one's thinking in more ways than just boss fights.)

While that is true, if it is a mining colony one would think they would have very efficient refining equipment....
  • tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    kimmera wrote: »
    While that is true, if it is a mining colony one would think they would have very efficient refining equipment....

Not necessarily. Given how easy spaceflight is in Star Trek it might be more economic to ship ores off world for refining. Also the planet is meant to be extremely inhospitable (at 1st on Tribble things like Turrets and Drones were failing after a few seconds in the atmosphere; kind of like the 1st probes we sent to Venus) so they might not want to place expensive refining gear on the planet. Heck on Voyager we saw old Mk1 EMHs doing mining; the only mining gear on this planet might just be an armor plated holoprojector and some pickaxes.

There are nations today that while resource rich never invested in more than extraction of the resources for one reason or another.
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • mgmirkin426mgmirkin426 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    cusashorn wrote: »
    I know that Nukara Prime is almost the last type of environment to set up shop, but with all the loot that the Tholians drop, is there any chance that a simple merchant, a quartermaster, if you will - can be added to the base camp? Just something we can dump all those excess EV suits and tribbles on instead of taking the bare minimum from the replicator.

And for that matter a place to BUY an EV suit if you don't already have on on you when you beam down? Even a USED one? I know the first time I beamed down, I didn't have one...

Just saying... Maybe even selling some Sonic weapons of some sort? Common quality, etc.?

~MG

P.S. I'm kind of surprised there isn't some kind of "Defend Base Camp" mission. I doubt the Tholians like having all these Federation/Klingon types around & I'm surprised they haven't "attacked" the base camp en masse to try to rid the planet of the the presence?
  • mgmirkin426mgmirkin426 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I completely agree, there absolutely needs to be someone at the base camps that you can sell all your unwanted drops to. Considering that after the first time that fought the Tholians I came away with 4 EVA suits!
    I mean if Cryptic needs a reason to add a quartermaster to the map for us to dump our drops then they could have them sell you Tholian related items and consumables for EC's and Dilithium.

P.S. I wouldn't mind having the exchange and bank access, but I suppose that those are reserved for social maps only.:(

You must not have been playing long to only get 4. We played for about 3-4 hours and probably a good 1/5-1/4 of my inventory ended up being EV suits, with another 1/5 being stupid shutdown codes for the portals (at least we can finally DISCARD them "all," well only all the ones in a single slot not actually "ALL" all, so it still takes a while to get rid of every last damned one of them). Not including all the ones I'd already offered up to the replicator G-d for a pittance, keeping only the purple level ones...

~MG
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Selling off to a vendor doesn't get you that much more than the replicator does, so that's not really a good reason to put one down in a combat zone. And I think we can all agree that Nukara Prime is probably not a good place for a Mail or Exchange terminal, if immersion or role-play is any concern.

From Cryptic's point of view, it's probably a great reason to buy more inventory slots.

I do agree that they should sell a basic EV suit on site, but anybody can play "Boldly They Rode" and get one for free and it sounds like lots of them drop so there's a pretty good case for assuming you can get what you need without a store.

If there's a good reason for putting in a store, it would be for consumables or possibly other things you might reasonably need without leaving the planet altogether.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • haelishaelis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'd say that at least the Base "Commander" should at least sell a basic EV suit. I don't think that would be asking too much. Well that's my 2 cents worth.
    And I'm old, not dead.
    If your're so smart how come you don't own everything? :D
    Proud Member of Starfleet Elite Task Force & Klingon Elite Task Force for 4 yrs
  • happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If the EVA suits were worth anything I'd suggest that two people could roll a couple of Ferengi and set up shop on Nukara. One buys people's unwanted spoils for half way between replicator prices and those of a real vendor. The other takes the wares and freighters them to Drozana for sale when an inventory full of purchases is made.

Unfortunately the replicator gives 40% returns, while a vendor gives 50%. So you'd get a 5% return on each item. So you'd make about 15EC per EVA Suit. A VA has 72 Inventory slots. That's only 1080EC per run. SooooOOOOOoooo not worth it.
  • abcde123123abcde123123 Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Vendor would be nice...

but what will definitely be nicer to increase the stack of all tholian drops to 250, boxes and "datasamples" or whatever they are called.

Nukara is a terrible farming world so it is, hot and heavy lag, but a merchant would be great :)
  • kevlintallfellowkevlintallfellow Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Nothing that drops on ground missions is even worth going back to the base camp to sell. All of those EV suits are only worth like 350 EC each, you're only going to get a couple thousand EC for green weapons that drop, and much less for any armors or shields that drop.

Frankly, the only item drops in this game that are worth going back to a vendor to sell are starship components: engines, deflectors, and shields. Everything else is so significantly less in value that it's not worth the trip to haul that junk somewhere to sell it when you can just melt it down in the basement of your space castle.
  • abcde123123abcde123123 Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Vendor is a lot faster to sell to than replicator.

open up vendor, click sell, position the window so that active item at the same position as the confirmation window yes button, and click click click.

selling to replicator: right click discard, confirm etc. tedios. like all things in this game.
  • happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    selling to replicator: right click discard, confirm etc. tedios. like all things in this game.

Unless it got changed recently (as I don't generally sell at the replicator and wouldn't notice) then you should be able to click the replicator button at the bottom of your inventory, click the sell option like at every other vendor, then sell there. I've never had to use the right-click and discard option.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I want a BANK at Nukara. I hate having to LEAVE THE SYSTEM just to bank something.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg