test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Latinum - What is it good for, anyway?

thetratzthetratz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Not much.

My suggestion is that we make it a trade-able commodity. Or at least, add more items to the game (maybe illicit items for duty officers?) that depend on Latinum. A black market would be pretty cool. Then give players the option to exchange latinum between eachother for energy credits. Then you could launder credits/stolen goods. Suppose players were allowed to attack/engage other players who are busted for smuggling and laundering stolen goods/contraband were one of the ways you could loose the heat. That would be pretty cool!

There's no reason that this currency has to be so damned useless.
Post edited by thetratz on

Comments

• Options
    venataciavenatacia Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    What do the Ferengi use it for? Buying a small shuttle, a small moon and other business adventures. You would of thought anything todo with Ferengi in this game would be bought with latinum. So far I bought some Jem'hadar holo ship, why I did that?... no idea, still have it sat in my bank. Both my fed and kdf have over 200k of it sat there doing nothing - there must be some rule of acquisition about that!. You would of thought thats how you buy the ferengi ship that I keep seeing flashing up on the screen but I think they come from some weird lockbox.
    Maybe I was exspecting to much but when I first got some latinum I really thought it would be used to buy ferengi outfits and ships, not some holo ships and some kind of trophy for your ship - like anyone will ever visit my ship and go wow! you have a trophy.. it would be more like "wow! you have a lot of time on your hands". Or maybe after something like 3 months of playing this game I have missed out on where you spend it.
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I've always thought that cross faction sales would be a good touch for the black market. Costume pieces, consoles, faction specific combat pets. Considering the great lengths a ferengi would go to to make a profit, i'd say that adding better items for Latinum would be a lot better of a system than the Lobi crystals seeing how even in the show they're mentioned as worthless. Plus it would make more sense for the lobi store to be latinum since there ARE ways to get latinum other than lock boxes.
  • Options
    aexraelaexrael Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Instead of adding the Lobi currency Cryptic could have used the GPL currency instead, would have been a way for Cryptic to funnel some of the excess EC out of the economy.
  • Options
    verlaine11verlaine11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    You can use it to get Photonic Doffs from the special deal assignments on a crit, common all the way up to very rare
  • Options
    vinru821vinru821 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    They should REALLY just let you convert it to EC if you want.

1=100 or as PWE would prefer 1 Latinum = 97.3 EC lol
    :eek:
  • Options
    maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    they said too may players have latinum so if they add stuff to a lat store people would be able to buy it all thats the reason why nothing is going to come off latinum apart from a few doff missions
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    aexrael wrote: »
    Instead of adding the Lobi currency Cryptic could have used the GPL currency instead, would have been a way for Cryptic to funnel some of the excess EC out of the economy.

But why would people buy Keys to open the lock boxes?
  • Options
    woghdwoghd Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    they said too may players have latinum so if they add stuff to a lat store people would be able to buy it all thats the reason why nothing is going to come off latinum apart from a few doff missions

That is far and away the stupidest reason I have ever heard of for something like that. So basically they are saying, "We screwed you, deal with it" We duped you into buying SOOOOO much latinum that we fear the tidal wave of purchases that would come of it if we ever opened a store...so...enjoy your worthless latinum!
    [SIGPIC]HTTP://RABIDPANDARANCH.COM/images/grazcity.png[/SIGPIC]

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: CHANGE THE FORUMS BACK !!!
  • Options
    foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Then they need to do what any other MMO does when a currency is hoarded. Create a Currency sink.

Something that takes no time or effort on PWE/Cryptic's part, gives the players something "neat" and consumes MASS amounts of the hoarded currency.

EX:

Introducing the new PERMANENT Ship Holo-emitter, only 500,000 GPL! The All new Phase Compression High Density rifle with auto remodulator, only 1 million GLP!.

Just some new items at EXTREME prices. Items people will want.

OR use GPL to buy respecs for a limited time. TRade GPL for Dilithium to a special vendor.

There's a plethora of things they could introduce to remove the massive glut of hoarded GPL. They would rather add another Curency though, one that uses an inventory/bank slot forcing the player to buy yet another Bank/inventory upgrade.
  • Options
    aexraelaexrael Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    foundrelic wrote: »
    But why would people buy Keys to open the lock boxes?

For the ships and the other items they shove in the boxes. The Lobi crystals should never have been a part of that.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Last time I looked at the Latinum Store there was nothing I really want. So I hadn't focused my time to get them. To me there are not worth my time to mess with.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    kimmerakimmera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    woghd wrote: »
    That is far and away the stupidest reason I have ever heard of for something like that. So basically they are saying, "We screwed you, deal with it" We duped you into buying SOOOOO much latinum that we fear the tidal wave of purchases that would come of it if we ever opened a store...so...enjoy your worthless latinum!

How were you duped into buying latinum? You can buy as many arcade tokens as you like (well could back in the day when there were arcades), but just because you could buy as many as you want doesn't mean it is reasonable to expect that to make the arcade games better, or to make them trade-able for a new car or something.

It sounds more like you got duped by a third party site than Cryptic, and even then, why would you spend any extra effort/cash on a blind assumption of value?
  • Options
    majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    To be totally honest the Latinum should have been what is Energy Credits today, the standard currency.
    aexrael wrote: »

I would agree with that, GPL is worthless in my eyes and the stuff you can buy with it isn't worth the time you need to take to gather the GPL. I would have rather the Lobi Store had been the Latinum store and just had it more available at more locations or like how the Lobi Store is now.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I've had similar feelings for a LONG time. Latinum, I don't deny should be a currency of...extras, not super-stuff. But we should at least be able to get things of purpose out of it.

I wouldn't complain about buying any of the following:

Anything Ferengi-based. Aka, costume parts, maybe the Energy Whip, and so on.

Rarer foods and drink, especially for cross-faction stuff (like more easily gotten Blood Wine for Fed players). Maybe even a few new things.

Also, DOFFs. As for what kinds, it'd be interesting, maybe even just one-time deals, like...5 Nausicaans (and very few questions), who would be various security/tactical guys of at least green quality.

A Ferengi lock-box, or at least the Mystery Box, maybe one with a slightly better chance of getting a gold box?

A Master Key? Just a one-time purchase either per character, or per account.

'Acquired' equipment from 'reliable' sources? Like an impulse engine that boosts your weapons, aux, and shield power like the efficient engine, but only has half the max speed at full impulse? Or a rifle that has a lot of power, but tends to 'lock' up?

A low-class trip to Ferenginar? See it's 'beautiful' torrential rains?

A high-class trip to Ferenginar? Even getting a brief 5-minute visit with the Grand Nagus himself?

A small amount of Gamma Quadrant Commodities? (To keep it fair, maybe only once a day, or even only once a week you could get them)

Another latinum wall trophy, so I can stop having to have a ship or accolade trophy on the wall with my lovely latinum slips, strips, and ingots. I don't care what it's called, how it looks, or even how much it costs, I just want one already.

Your own Leela hologram (maybe as a DOFF as a seperate thing) and a Dabo table for your ship and/or space station.

Give me things to buy with my latinum, and for every character I have, I will gladly spend hours sitting at Drozana or DS9 listening to Leela say the same things OVER and OVER while I play Dabo.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    johnynormusjohnynormus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Fluffing out the gpl store doesn't make Cryptic any profit. It doesn't pay the developer salaries. Anyone who understands ferenginomics can clearly see that for it to be improved using developer time, it has to bring home some cash to pay for the work involved.. If someone can come up with a way Cryptic can make money off the gpl store like latinum + zen or latinum + dilithium for items i can see this happening.
  • Options
    venataciavenatacia Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Fluffing out the gpl store doesn't make Cryptic any profit. It doesn't pay the developer salaries. Anyone who understands ferenginomics can clearly see that for it to be improved using developer time, it has to bring home some cash to pay for the work involved.. If someone can come up with a way Cryptic can make money off the gpl store like latinum + zen or latinum + dilithium for items i can see this happening.

Might not make them profit striaght away but if you think about it, the more things to gain in a game and build your charactor up, the more your going to play and stay attached which in the long run will keep you here donating... thats the way I see it. There needs to be enough in the game to keep me interested.... interested = donations. If everything in this game comes down to money then what kind of game is it - a gambling game? instead of a Star Trek game where money was ment to have been rid-of for the betterment of humanity - this game goes totally againts what Star Trek stood for. I really don't feel i'm playing Star Trek when it comes down to eveything has to have a dollor sign attached to it.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    venatacia wrote: »
    Might not make them profit striaght away but if you think about it, the more things to gain in a game and build your charactor up, the more your going to play and stay attached which in the long run will keep you here donating... thats the way I see it. There needs to be enough in the game to keep me interested.... interested = donations. If everything in this game comes down to money then what kind of game is it - a gambling game? instead of a Star Trek game where money was ment to have been rid-of for the betterment of humanity - this game goes totally againts what Star Trek stood for. I really don't feel i'm playing Star Trek when it comes down to eveything has to have a dollor sign attached to it.

Its a company run by board members who answer to shareholders who want a return on their investment. Lets not kid ourselves. Its not a gambling game, its a product made by a business whose goal is to turn a profit.

Reality check is there are metrics that decide where the resources go. If the metrics don't show latinum fluff turning a profit versus the investment then it doesn't get worked on. You mentioned how this game is not very star trek - to help put it into perspective imagine Cryptic as a Ferengi business. They won't give stuff away in hopes you spend money. That is very star trek, just maybe not star fleet so you seem to be confusing yourself with the two. Sorry its not to your liking but that's how the real world works.
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Special deals on entertainment provisions. The critical reward is a nice doff.

That's pretty much all I use GPL for.
  • Options
    lpthomasmariklpthomasmarik Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm surprised Latinum hasn't shown up as a commodity needed for Starbases.

Maybe they will be added for Colonies or some other holding later on.

Of course I also think Latinum should be what Dilithium currently is.
  • Options
    lpthomasmariklpthomasmarik Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Adding stuff to the Latinum store will make people want to get Latinum

People trying to get latinum will be in game more

People in game more will be more apt to buy the Cstore shineys.

Following your logic they should never ever add free content. We shouldn't have Starbases or the new Tholian mission.

Yes Cryptic wants to make money. I'm all for it and if they want to put stuff I want on the C-store I will happily buy it. Cryptic also has a lot of good devs that want to have as much fun as we do. Not every decision or addition to this game has to be monetized. The vast amount of content in Season 6 proves it.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Adding stuff to the Latinum store will make people want to get Latinum

People trying to get latinum will be in game more

People in game more will be more apt to buy the Cstore shineys.

Following your logic they should never ever add free content. We shouldn't have Starbases or the new Tholian mission.

Yes Cryptic wants to make money. I'm all for it and if they want to put stuff I want on the C-store I will happily buy it. Cryptic also has a lot of good devs that want to have as much fun as we do. Not every decision or addition to this game has to be monetized. The vast amount of content in Season 6 proves it.

Hey I totally agree with you, but obviously the developers have different metrics than the players do. That's why the gpl store hasn't been upgraded in almost 2 years.

Lets be honest with ourselves - the fleet star base system will retain more players than adding to the gpl store. I'm not saying they won't add to it. You just have to prioritize your projects when you have such a tiny staff.

The fleet star base system is also monetized - it uses dilithium in case you didn't realize.
  • Options
    thetratzthetratz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012

This totally makes sense.

Here's how I see it. Why not make GPL available on the C-Store market, then make useful items available in game for GPL only (black market stuff?)...now here's the kicker, remove the ability to play Dabo with energy credits in exchange for latinum. If you play with EC, then you get EC. You play with Latinum, you get Latinum OR energy credits.

Done deal.
  • Options
    archer586969archer586969 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    vinru821 wrote: »
    They should REALLY just let you convert it to EC if you want.

1=100 or as PWE would prefer 1 Latinum = 97.3 EC lol

Yeah I agree, I dont have much latinum but I find myself using EC an awful lot! So yeah.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    thetratz wrote: »
    This totally makes sense.

Here's how I see it. Why not make GPL available on the C-Store market, then make useful items available in game for GPL only (black market stuff?)...now here's the kicker, remove the ability to play Dabo with energy credits in exchange for latinum. If you play with EC, then you get EC. You play with Latinum, you get Latinum OR energy credits.

Done deal.

This would be a good idea but some players already have tens of millions of gpl grandfathered on their characters.