test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Time gates AGAIN?

kamipoikamipoi Member Posts: 365 Arc User
Really you snuck that one in again tholian reward of fleet marks will be time gated i and many of my own fleet will probably be boycotting this content:mad:

as much as you where gaining momentum forward with changing the lock boxes into doff boxes and making more content (with randomized foes) and stuff for us to do

you turn out another time gated mission if you think logically how does this work it is really only good for one region games your a GLOBAL game don't fall into the trap of the Asian gameplay aspects please don't become another failed game due to time gating

you want to become the triple A title this game should be then start thinking logically please.
Post edited by kamipoi on

Comments

• Options
    hossinatorhossinator Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    /signed.
    -Hossinator
  • Options
    abcde123123abcde123123 Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    lol, who plays ground anyway?

ppl grind ground for the ground set visuals but after that... I don't really know...
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    this is just another forced thing on us by PWE until proven otherwise

just saying

but i agree with the OP :(
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    yonazakiyonazaki Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    After seeing it on Tribble I was really looking forward to Nakura.. I expected a 20hr cool down or something like that but this.. But like Defara it's just going to be another nonexistent piece of content that we'll never be able to play without staying up to 4am.

Nice work Cryptic. -_-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    abcde123123abcde123123 Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The business logic is simple

* Give the players incentive for another 6 months to grind same 3 missions
    * Feed them lockboxes and other cash purchases while they are at it
    * ???
    * PROFITT

After all this game is a business, and a good business generates profit. Would be nice if there was more balance to content vs profit ratio, but...
  • Options
    tebsutebsu Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    the ground missions never have been very popular but with those gate?s, you make them even more unattractive. i think this is pretty unfair if i think about the developer or the developers who have spend their time for this, knowing that probably only a very low percentage of people will ever play those missions

gated missions do not mean fun in any way. think about something else how you can make ground missions attractive. you started with the last FE and it was really good (if i compare it to every other ground mission i have played before,.. well.. infected is still funny) but now you start again with such low quality stuff like gating a demon class planet. really?

i barely look at the event calendar so i wont even know, when the specific times are. i usually log on and just play for an hour, i wont wait for a mission. its not like i have that much time a day. maybe you create something like the "red alert" popup, then people will know when its time and you will have more success even with gated things but you completely rely on the event calendar which is a fatal mistake
    What ? Calaway.
  • Options
    shimmerlessshimmerless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, I pretty much lost any remaining interest in doing this thing (the only good will I had left over was from the lovely art work and the Tholians being interesting in of themselves). I'm not rearranging my life to suit a video game, sorry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
  • Options
    bubblygumsworthbubblygumsworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I agree with the OP... Time gated events suck. I know that Nakura is available 24/7 but to my knowledge you only get fleet marks/rewards during the event.

I should be able to play a game when I want, I shouldn't have to be restricted by time gated bs.

I will be boycotting Nakura. PWE fail
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
  • Options
    xavithaxavitha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I can't say too much, I wasn't interested in Nakura ground missions at all anyway and was very disappointed in the fact that's all i got to deal with in tribble. Had no intention of willingly doing it. I wanted to fight battleships. Honestly outside of being pretty this game has been one big disappointment since beta, I preordered just to ensure my friend and I would have a good MMO...we were Rear admirals by the end of the free trial period, and that was as high as we could go at the time. Time gating events, this perfect world change over, Honestly its only on my hard drive at this point because I haven't removed it. I'm not going to do too much more, this is just keeping me entertained until I can get on Star Wars The Old Repblic, I'd rather pay and play a good game, that listened to its testers.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    i just thought they had learned their lesson about our thoughts on time gating apparently we will have to go over this again with them.it just means content they spent valuable time making will be untouched mostly...

we are not cattle we cant be herded and the times are very inconvenient to top it all off.
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    kamipoi wrote: »
    i just thought they had learned their lesson about our thoughts on time gating apparently we will have to go over this again with them.it just means content they spent valuable time making will be untouched mostly...

we are not cattle we cant be herded and the times are very inconvenient to top it all off.
    just remember, time-gating is a very eastern type thing. and Cryptic has to listen to PWE.

even if Cryptic knows we don't like it, but PWE says it must go in, they have no other choice.

it doesn't exactly help, but it's the most likely thing
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm surprised that by now the OP didn't see this coming. Welcome to the ways of Pakled World Entertainment people...

Oh and /signed btw
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • Options
    sp74656sp74656 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Total BS.

/Signed.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I can see using time-gating in some circumstances, like a mission isn't an often-played one but requires a team so you wanna make sure 5 people are all looking for it at once. But when something is popular, why lock it down? Can't we just play without jumping through hoops?
  • Options
    palek2000palek2000 Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The new missions are not really gated, from the release notes:

Fleet Marks
    Fleet Marks are earned by playing any of the new Season 6 content, and are a requirement in most fleet projects.
    The content that grants these Fleet Marks includes but is not limited to:
    Starbase Fleet Defense: 20-Man
    Starbase Blockade: 5-Man
    Fleet Alerts: 5-Man
    No Win Scenario: 5-Man
    Colony Rescue: 5-Man
    All of these maps are available 24 hours a day with a 30 minute cooldown for repeating the same mission.
    There is a calendar event that grants additional fleet marks to any of the missions above.

So basically you can play anytime but during the gated times you get extra rewards.
    Former Forum Moderator - 10.28.2016 2:04pm-4:06pm
    PC LTS - Launch
    XBox Freeloader - Launch
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    So they're like the KDF raid missions?
    <3
  • Options
    tupperswearingtupperswearing Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I've never played the Defera invasion thing because of the stupid time windows.

I will not be playing nankura for the same reason.
  • Options
    tebsutebsu Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    palek2000 wrote: »
    The new missions are not really gated, from the release notes:

Fleet Marks
    Fleet Marks are earned by playing any of the new Season 6 content, and are a requirement in most fleet projects.
    The content that grants these Fleet Marks includes but is not limited to:
    Starbase Fleet Defense: 20-Man
    Starbase Blockade: 5-Man
    Fleet Alerts: 5-Man
    No Win Scenario: 5-Man
    Colony Rescue: 5-Man
    All of these maps are available 24 hours a day with a 30 minute cooldown for repeating the same mission.
    There is a calendar event that grants additional fleet marks to any of the missions above.

So basically you can play anytime but during the gated times you get extra rewards.

well, that changes everything. i thought they completely gate the missions. in that case, i unsign :P
    What ? Calaway.
  • Options
    bludaggerbludagger Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    tebsu wrote: »
    well, that changes everything. i thought they completely gate the missions. in that case, i unsign :P

They did gate the reward worth anything. Read the whole entry, not just the clip.

For the others, :D, did you really expect anything else with all the "hype" they were presenting with this?

1. When a company begins hyping something up, rarely does it live up to expectations.
    2. always read the small print on the packaging.
    3. anything that is too good to be true, usually is.

Just saying team, go back and look at the history. They are a small company with possible big hit on their hands that is just too much for them to handle. Kudos to them for taking it on, but signs are showing they are struggling. Shame too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    palek2000palek2000 Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    bludagger wrote: »
    They did gate the reward worth anything. Read the whole entry, not just the clip.

For the others, :D, did you really expect anything else with all the "hype" they were presenting with this?

1. When a company begins hyping something up, rarely does it live up to expectations.
    2. always read the small print on the packaging.
    3. anything that is too good to be true, usually is.

Just saying team, go back and look at the history. They are a small company with possible big hit on their hands that is just too much for them to handle. Kudos to them for taking it on, but signs are showing they are struggling. Shame too.

Can you please quote where it states that these are gated? I have read the entire release notes and I see that you can run the missions all the time but if you run when the events that are gated are active you get EXTRA rewards.
    Former Forum Moderator - 10.28.2016 2:04pm-4:06pm
    PC LTS - Launch
    XBox Freeloader - Launch
  • Options
    warpedcorewarpedcore Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This is why I stopped subscribing to this game, Cryptic. You starve us for content for a year, then when you make it available, it's all time gated! If this wasn't a Star Trek game, I'd have just uninstalled by now.
  • Options
    muftytuftymuftytufty Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    xavitha wrote: »
    I can't say too much, I wasn't interested in Nakura ground missions at all anyway and was very disappointed in the fact that's all i got to deal with in tribble. Had no intention of willingly doing it. I wanted to fight battleships. Honestly outside of being pretty this game has been one big disappointment since beta, I preordered just to ensure my friend and I would have a good MMO...we were Rear admirals by the end of the free trial period, and that was as high as we could go at the time. Time gating events, this perfect world change over, Honestly its only on my hard drive at this point because I haven't removed it. I'm not going to do too much more, this is just keeping me entertained until I can get on Star Wars The Old Repblic, I'd rather pay and play a good game, that listened to its testers.

I got bored with Eve and STO season 6 was round the corner so decided to sub swtor for a month or 2, very good story driven game well worth the ?8.99, and after reading all the furry on the forums about season 6 guss i wont be playing STO until they make some changes to it.
  • Options
    anthonyxmas1anthonyxmas1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    To me, the time gates and limited time events have a clear purpose: to ensure that there are enough players funneled into that time period to have enough players participating.

It's a trade-off. Many players cannot participate due to time constraints (such as scheduled when most Europeans are asleep!), but if it were to be 24/7, there will be many maps with not enough players.

So now events like Starfleet Academy and Tholian missions have enough players in the same map to ensure some competition ... everyone running around, trying to get the particles scanned or free Fed or KDF NPCs from Tholians, or whatever.

Otherwise, wandering around on a nearly empty map and getting loot is a boring PvE cakewalk.

It's not PvP or Open PvP, but it's not boring PvE either.

I listen to STO podcasts and occasionally read some STO forum posts, and no one seems to see this aspect ... limit the time to increase the population of players on a map.

Agree? Disagree?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    LAUREN RULZ !!!!!!!!
  • Options
    goldendharmnygoldendharmny Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    You have the option to run them at any time now. You just get bouns to run the during time Gated Events. I can live with that but I have no real plains to go out of my way to do the time gated stuff.
    "Of course you know, this means war!" Bugs Bunny
  • Options
    julissa2julissa2 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Making it gated for the EXTRA awards controls how fast people get the materials needed to cap out the new stuff you can buy. I find it silly that people are in an uproar about that. If you want to play the mission...go play it. If you want to get the extra marks, you have to play it at a certain time. Also the time at which it is gated changes every day...so you dont have to stay up till 4am every day. If they didn't gate the extra materials people would rush through the content really fast and ***** that there wasn't enough to do, and you are deluding yourself if you think otherwise.

The shuttle event is a good example. I love the Vault mission and I am glad they unlocked it for regular play with Dilithium being the award. If I really need the Reman items, I gotta check out when its Gate is open and play it then...fine by me.

For those of you thinking about Star Wars the Old Republic...I played that from opening day till about 2 weeks ago. Going through it with a couple of characters is really fun. The stories for each of the classes are superbly written and voice acted. Thumbs up from me. It will not hold you for extended periods though because there is not enough content to keep you from repeating the same stuff over and over. By the time your second character hits 50 your are pretty much bored off your TRIBBLE from PvP, PvE, and Space Content (at least that was how it was for me). Guild Wars 2 will be my next adventure when it comes out August 28th.

STO will be around for a long time, and I know that I will be spending time on it even while playing other games, cause it is just well done. The one thing I am disappointed with was the lack of new Episodal content, I really was expecting new missions.
  • Options
    anthonyxmas1anthonyxmas1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    You have the option to run them at any time now. You just get bouns to run the during time Gated Events. I can live with that but I have no real plains to go out of my way to do the time gated stuff.

Yes, you can run Tholian missions any time, but do you get fleet marks for them?

It was great getting 5 or 10 fleet marks for every run on Tribble.

I'm hearing conflicting information about fleet marks for Tholian missions now on Holodeck/Season 6. Zero and Stahl posted that there would be NO fleet marks for Tholian missions, unless in the Event time window.

Have you seen or heard otherwise on Holodeck since Season 6 launched yesterday?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    LAUREN RULZ !!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    they keep forcing an EASTERN style game-play on WESTERN players. In some Asian countries they only have a couple hours of internet access a day and need these types of events to pick what time they want to play to be most efficient for what they are choosing to work on.

now i was under the impression they wanted to introduce something different with Tholians the missions should provide fleet marks at all times so that you have something to do when you have no teammates from your fleet and you don't want to pug fleet events.

unfortunately they chose to make the fleet mark reward time gated instead of rewarding 2-5 and then during event rewarding 5-10 fleet marks bad decision my books time gating takes away from the content they made making it a 1 time through then forget about it.

P.S. Time gating does nothing to remove the fact that this game is content light atm and spending time on working with time-gating wastes time that could have been used on other projects.