test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Question] Automated Defense Turret

archer586969archer586969 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I've recently begun the Romulan episodes as a Commander and I find myself getting more and more irritated with their Plasma Torpedo's. After a quick search on the wiki I have come across this device; the "Automated Defense Turret", and I was wondering If there is somewhere to purchase one? Are they available on the exchange?

Or would it be simpler to find myself Plasma Weapons of my own?

Thanks a bunch!,
Archer5869
(Formerly Archer5869, then this transfer came along)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by archer586969 on

Comments

• Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It was only offered with the STO Collector's Edition. You might be able to find one still out there, like with Amazon.

The only alternative is the console from the Thunderchild that's available in the C-store.
  • Options
    disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    it was a special unlock for purchasing the digital deluxe edition of the game. so no the only way to get one is to have bought that version of the game.

Try bringing a fire at will or equiping neutronium armor.
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • Options
    archer586969archer586969 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Right, thanks guys!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    geordiecraigstageordiecraigsta Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I have had this since Beta when I ordered the digital delux version, and it just isn't worth the time spent making it.

It does very little damage and takes up one of your precious tactical console slots, for which you are best using to add a damage console.

I did try to equip it in a STF once just to see if it made any difference to the one-shot kill Borg plasma torpedo of death, and guesse what - nothing. I still got shot down by the doom torp.
  • Options
    cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    On the other hand I use mine in every ship I have, it's been very useful and means I don't have to waste time switching to the torps.
  • Options
    retunred4goodretunred4good Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I find it extremely underpowered and a waste of a tactical console slot.
    -It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-- Mark Twain.
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I find it extremely underpowered and a waste of a tactical console slot.

the only reason its there is for taking out mines/ HY torps and harassing attacking fighters. think of it as the "poor mans point defense system"
  • Options
    commadorebobcommadorebob Member Posts: 1,223 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Equip Fire At Will (FAW) and at least one beam array. Whenever you see a plasma torpedo launch, activate FAW. It'll target the torpedo and destroy it.

This is a lot better than using a turret.
    "If you have never used Cello, I'm not interested in your browser opinion."
    edited July 2012
    tenkari wrote: »
    the only reason its there is for taking out mines/ HY torps and harassing attacking fighters. think of it as the "poor mans point defense system"

Which it doesn't do. I don't expect it to do any kind of offensive damage, but it doesn't even help with mine or torps. Really, it's only useful at Lt..
    -It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-- Mark Twain.
  • Options
    flyingshoeboxflyingshoebox Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    so is the thunderchild point defence console just a renamed automated defence turret? I?ve never seen it in use and the description makes them sound the same
  • Options
    wildmousexwildmousex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'ld beg to differ, I've carried it through all my toons and it's proven it's self usefull - it won't one shot a fighter, but if you ignore the fighters and take out the carrier, it'll have them clear by the time you've dropped your target....it won''t stop a wall of mines unless you speed up faster then them and get them following you, but it will reduce the number of them that does hit you by one or two - - - and it surely does keep the HYT's off you, i catch the radiation from my own high yield plasma torps far more times then i get hit by someone elses - the big borg ones can't even be one shotted with a hyt of your own, those things take several hit's to drop no matter what you're shooting them with.

a side benefit that i've found is if someone sneaks up on you while your attention is on another target, it'll get you to check your six when it starts going off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Me playing UT2k4 (red guy) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz0DnP7wXnU
  • Options
    mandrake45mandrake45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The biggest flaw with is that it's a tac console. If it was universal it would be much improved.

That said, it's highly viable for the romulan/reman missions at whatever level you happen to run them but really not worth it for stfs.
    Having trouble with ground STFs? Looking for help?

Join the STFHelp channel
  • Options
    dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    mandrake45 wrote: »
    The biggest flaw with is that it's a tac console. If it was universal it would be much improved.

That said, it's highly viable for the romulan/reman missions at whatever level you happen to run them but really not worth it for stfs.

If it was a device like it should be, it would be even more improved.

The ADT and several other consoles make much more sense as devices. The cloaking device for example.
  • Options
    verlaine11verlaine11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I have 1 on my Delta Flyer so then i have 3 weapons on it, unless you are in the first few ranks its not that good on the mid - later ships as you need the slots for the damage consoles
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    so is the thunderchild point defence console just a renamed automated defence turret? I?ve never seen it in use and the description makes them sound the same

They are not similar in any way.

The automated defense turret does 45 plasma damage and fires more or less continuously. You don't control it in any way- there's no button to click. It just does its thing, and its thing is shooting down high-yield torpedoes (and doing negligible damage to other enemies). It is the weakest weapon in the game.

The point-defense console does phaser damage totaling in the tens of thousands. It is a tray ability, so you have to activate it, then it fires for ten seconds at a time, followed by a several minute recharge. It is absolutely devastating against frigate-class enemies. It is the most powerful weapon in the game (when used right).
  • Options
    rrincyrrincy Member Posts: 1,023
    edited July 2012
    I never leave home without it , no matter what ship im using , its useful just to forget about the little things , it always takes down torps for me , can usually take a fighter out if im lucky and it chips away at minefields too , true it could be better as a device im sure , but its nice to have
    12th Fleet
    Rear Admiral , Engineering Division
    U.S.S. Sheffield N.C.C. 92016
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,788 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I like the Automated Defense Turret. Yes, it is very weak but I am not a PvP player, so I don't care. It is just nice to not have to worry about about High Yield Torpedoes. It has saved my tushy more than once when the Borg Cubes decided to up and fire off their invisible HYT of Insta-Death.

Plus, it is just plain fun to set on an All-Turret Cruiser. :D
  • Options
    carmenaracarmenara Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    it was a special unlock for purchasing the digital deluxe edition of the game. so no the only way to get one is to have bought that version of the game.

Try bringing a fire at will or equiping neutronium armor.

OP will not get Neutronium armor until RA level, but he can use Monotanium which, while being much cheaper than Neutronium, offers twice the kinetic resistance, which is the primary damage type for most PvE enemies.
    STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel
  • Options
    naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012

No, the Thunderchild one is far superior in some ways. It will singlehandedly wipe out a trio of romulan frigates without you needing to fire any other weapons.

Unfortunately it has a long cooldown.
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,846 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    mandrake45 wrote: »

Here here...I would love to see this thing as a universal console, I mean it doesn't really do enough damage to make it OP if it were in a science or engineering slot.
  • Options
    notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    it would have been nice if defense turret could be used in device slot.
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    proteus22proteus22 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    get thunderchild and armitage put both point defense modules on aritage fly into a group of spheres and let hel fly first phaser module then photon one spheres go pop
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,846 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    proteus22 wrote: »
    get thunderchild and armitage put both point defense modules on aritage fly into a group of spheres and let hel fly first phaser module then photon one spheres go pop

Those have long cooldowns and like its been said before are nothing like the ADT. :P