test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 6: Another Season 4?

azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
I can't help but to think Cryptic is rushing out Season 6 too fast and we are about to have another Season 4 disaster.

There are many bugs that yet to be squashed with the new events and with Fleet Starbases, which really needed at least another week of testing. And there are people validly concerned with how Fleet Starbase handle contributions towards projects. Then of course Fleet Ships themselves in how some ships are missing (like the Fleet Prometheus), some ships not meeting fans standards (like the 5th Engineering Console and Universal Ensign slot with the Fleet Galaxy), or the changes to the Fleet Sovereign and it mysteriously disappearing without knowing if it was pulled to be reassessed or the Dev Team taking the "out of sight, out of mind" approach.

All in all, I for one don't think Season 6 is ready and needs more time.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Great, another post whinging that a season release is going to be full of bugs.

Just what we all wanted to read. Again. For the hundredth time.

We heard you the first time.

Couple of points to add:

When has a season release not been plagued with bugs and server crashes?

How do you know they haven't fixed the majority of the bugs? (Unlikely, but possible).

We weren't even playing on the most recent build, they stated quite clearly that the build they were putting on tribble was a relatively stable but old build, they're a few versions ahead.

Just wait and see, whinging and moaning won't make the slightest bit of difference!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The only way Season 6 would be a repeat of Season 4 was if the new Foundry changes and auto-republish being done as a result of said changes when Season 6 does go live, hosed the Foundry player database for another month. Other than that (which was a MAJOR TRIBBLE up of epic proportions), most of the rest of Season 4 worked well, and was seen as a major improvement to the game in a majority of other areas.

Also, given Tribble (even during a test weekend) never really sees the same type/kind of server load Holodeck does; even if they got it 100% de-bugged (something I've never seen ANY MMO developer achieve with any major content patch) on Tribble, they'd STILL encounter issues that Tribble testing didn't reveal (and I'm sure we'll see that when Season 6 hits Holodeck; and they'll have a few 'Unscheduled Emergency maintainece' periods, and some quick 'fix it' patches); and wouldn't revel no matter how long they kept it in testing on there.

The hard truth is: Content updates are never 100% ready to release for any MMO, past or present; and the first few days are always a bit rocky as they actually see how everything behaves under a real world server load.

Personally, I hope it goes Live Thursday (as I suspect it will); and we get the new Fleet Starbase system and other Level 50 content in so we can start playing (and they can continue tweaking) it in an enviroment that counts.

YMMV of course.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    While I share your concerns Azurian , right now (if S.6 will hit in 2 days) all I can do is punch Brace for Impact ... hard . :o

As to the ships , things will change down the road I hope , but I will not pile stability and bug issues together with Starbase issues and Starship issues .
    All are valid points , but vastly different categories , and I would rather see these issues approached one at a time .
  • Options
    darren0kitlordarren0kitlor Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The issues I have aren't bugs but are design issues, i.e. lack of fleet contribution caps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The only way Season 6 would be a repeat of Season 4 was if the new Foundry changes and auto-republish being done as a result of said changes when Season 6 does go live, hosed the Foundry player database for another month. Other than that (which was a MAJOR TRIBBLE up of epic proportions), most of the rest of Season 4 worked well, and was seen as a major improvement to the game in a majority of other areas.

Thankfully after that major disaster they put in safeguards for the Foundry. Actually out of all of Season 6, I'm looking forward to some of the Foundry improvements (though they didn't listen very good regarding some annoying things like the small Text Boxes).
    Also, given Tribble (even during a test weekend) never really sees the same type/kind of server load Holodeck does; even if they got it 100% de-bugged (something I've never seen ANY MMO developer achieve with any major content patch) on Tribble, they'd STILL encounter issues that Tribble testing didn't reveal (and I'm sure we'll see that when Season 6 hits Holodeck; and they'll have a few 'Unscheduled Emergency maintainece' periods, and some quick 'fix it' patches); and wouldn't revel no matter how long they kept it in testing on there.

The hard truth is: Content updates are never 100% ready to release for any MMO, past or present; and the first few days are always a bit rocky as they actually see how everything behaves under a real world server load.

Personally, I hope it goes Live Thursday (as I suspect it will); and we get the new Fleet Starbase system and other Level 50 content in so we can start playing (and they can continue tweaking) it in an enviroment that counts.

YMMV of course.

I realize that not all bugs get squashed, but there was some pretty significant ones with the Tholian Event (some still there), some even with Fleet Bases as well.

But the major issue is the Q&Aing like Fleet Ships not being tested at all regarding PvP, New Fleet Gear being tested for PvP (which there are some pretty signficant effects they added ground equipment). Given their claims for more focus on PvP, they sure aren't showing their commitment to the PvP community as they promised. With Fleet Bases, like said above, they sure didn't do the really requested sliders for commodities and such. Nor the negative effects that Large Fleets or small fleets have reported.

Its like our input is not being acknowledged again and we are there just stress testing for tribbles. Which only just gives the long-term players (the real supporters of this game) something to frown at. We put our hearts, souls, and income into this game because we believe in it, but its Cryptic that needs to reflect that they care more about us as well.
  • Options
    arcademasterarcademaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Honestly considering how long in real time the starbase projects take I prefer it that they launch that as soon as possible so i can get cracking on them already. I can live with a few buggy events in the meanwhile. If they release the Tholian invaion as it was on Tribble to holodeck that would be kind of embarassing, but I had no problems with any of the other new events.
  • Options
    wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I can't help but to think Cryptic is rushing out Season 6 too fast and we are about to have another Season 4 disaster.

There are many bugs that yet to be squashed with the new events and with Fleet Starbases, which really needed at least another week of testing. And there are people validly concerned with how Fleet Starbase handle contributions towards projects. Then of course Fleet Ships themselves in how some ships are missing (like the Fleet Prometheus), some ships not meeting fans standards (like the 5th Engineering Console and Universal Ensign slot with the Fleet Galaxy), or the changes to the Fleet Sovereign and it mysteriously disappearing without knowing if it was pulled to be reassessed or the Dev Team taking the "out of sight, out of mind" approach.

All in all, I for one don't think Season 6 is ready and needs more time.

The only bugs I noticed were a couple of Server not reponding's/disconnections and some minor rubber-banding on the Tholian Invasion ground map, I'd say it was ready
  • Options
    thedukeofrockthedukeofrock Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    As a Foundry author, I am always hesitant since the memories of Season 4 are just now fading.

I believe that Cryptic remembers that as well and as such, have prepared everything in advance to make it as smooth a transition as possible. Try to have a little faith my friends.
    I am sure there will be bugs, but I think they will be managable and think the events of Season 4 are far behind us.

Crossing my fingers for a smooth transition.
    :)

Duke-of-Rock
    ABI-Artificial Borg Intelligence by Duke-of-Rock Available on Holodeck
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Also play Spawn of Medusa - The 5 Part series
    by Duke-of-Rock Available on Holodeck
  • Options
    cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yes, you guys have faith on Cryptic, but I am going to withdraw my mission, like I did in S4 and 5.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The issues I have aren't bugs but are design issues, i.e. lack of fleet contribution caps.

Yes, but they aren't likely to delay release based on "feature requests". They won't muck with the basic design for anything less than a show-stopper at this point.

They probably will change stuff afterward, depending on player feedback and data mining.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If They released it without any BUGS...

We wouldn't have anything to pizz & moan about on these forums...

Stop trying to ruin our fun... :P
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    daveyny wrote: »
    If They released it without any BUGS...

We wouldn't have anything to pizz & moan about on these forums...

Stop trying to ruin our fun... :P

I know right? It's not like Cryptic is trying or anything. :P