test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do you know what 'Klink' really means? (see inside)

snowlilisnowlili Member Posts: 34 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Klingon Discussion
UPDATE: Link

After finding out that 'Klingons' were named after an American cop (Wilbur Clingan) and, at the same time, compared to TRIBBLE in ST6, you're on your own. If someone is stupid enough to compare themselves to a TRIBBLE, that's their problem. :)

==========================

Have you ever heard of 'Colonel Klink'?

It's a TRIBBLE character from an American show, who was always terrified of being sent to the Eastern Front in WW2.
Post edited by snowlili on

Comments

• maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    i use klink all the time tho i see nothing wrong in doing so i dont find it as an insult. i only play kdf so i have have alot klingon doh.... klinks

never heard of this tv show nor do i think that this is the reason why most of us call our selfs klinks.

i guess the main reason why i use klink its its shorter than typing klingon tho not by much lol.

ps. that tv show looks TRIBBLE.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • woody898woody898 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Actually, if you've ever studied language patterns, you know that "shortening" words into a single syllable is quite common.

You will also realize that it is not unusual to associate a hard consonant sound at the end of a shortened word if it follows the native speakers' speech pattern.

For example, says KLINGS out loud ten times and you will see what I mean.

If you pay close attention, you will hear the "kay" sound slip in, ever so subtly.

As to your hypothesis about Colonel Klink... it is actually disproved by the simple fact that your cited reference is NOT the origin of the word KLINK.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~ I don't want the world... I just want your half!
  • jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Why do you think people use it "out of spite"? As you suggest a lot of people may no even know about the show, so its not meant in the same context then. I personally know about the show and always had a good laugh over it when I was younger "Hogaaaaan!" Having grandparents survive German occupation in Europe in WWII I have no problem making fun of them btw.
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Hogans heroes is not the birthplace of the term klink in reference to klingons.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I must be missing the point. Are you suggesting Klink is an offensive term because it's the same as the name of a fictional character from a TV show?
  • lokikinlokikin Member Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Ummm...

The word "klink" (actually "clink") is an old slang term for prison or jail, derived from the sound of a jail cell door closing and being locked. It's much older than Hogan's Heroes. That's exactly why Col. Klink was named what he was...

That was the joke...

:)
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'll take a crack at this.

Where does the slur klink originate from in reference to the derogatory term for Klingons?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
  • raambraamb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Actually Hogans Heroes was a very hilarious show. Its all about making fun of the TRIBBLE then anything else. I would suggest watching the show before ripping it. Also star trek and hogans heroes was running at about the same time, the mid to late 1960's, so I don't think one has anything to do with the other.
    [=/\= ================= =/\=]
    Asset Steven Kenter
    Section 31 - Beta Squad
    Current Mission: [Classified]
    Current Location: [Classified]
  • maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    jexsamx wrote: »
    I must be missing the point. Are you suggesting Klink is an offensive term because it's the same as the name of a fictional character from a TV show?

same here i dont get how its offensive or why the op is trying to sturr up TRIBBLE
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    TRIBBLE... Everywhere.

http://memegenerator.net/instance/23143893

ehh... close enough.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
  • bladeofkahlessbladeofkahless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Woody898's post about shortening words is true.
    Historically, words changed completely from accents, use, shortening, etc...

A perfect example is Acadian -> Cajun.
    ;)

Besides, if you're trying to make a racist, derogatory connection, using TRIBBLE is pretty far out in left field.
    Looking at how the TOS Klingons more closely align with asian (some names, and traditions), one would be more inclined to draw a connection to a certain other racist, derogatory word.
    Just saying.
    ps. that tv show looks TRIBBLE.

Actually, it was pretty funny.
    I was really young (my parents watched reruns), and I still liked it.
    Sgt. Schultz was cool.
    "I see nothing!" :D

It's me, Chrome. [Join Date: May 2009]

"Oh, I may be captain by rank... but I never wanted to be anything else but an engineer." ~Montgomery Scott~
  • ssargonssargon Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Here I thought Klink players were Pokemon fans.
  • captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    ssargon wrote: »
    Here I thought Klink players were Pokemon fans.

Gen 5 lolz

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It's also a derogatory term for homosexuals who target elder men...
  • retunred4goodretunred4good Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I don't see any connection whatsoever to anything outside of a shortened play on the word Klingon. But I do think it sounds stupid and don't use it personally.
    -It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-- Mark Twain.
  • beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I know noth-ing.
    in the UK (at least where i live) klink (possibly with a different spelling) is used as a term for prison.

I.E. "He got sent to the klink, for 5 years"
    Untitled_1.jpg

Executive Officer of Alpha Squadron
  • daggermoondaggermoon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
  • mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Actually, it was pretty funny.
    I was really young (my parents watched reruns), and I still liked it.
    Sgt. Schultz was cool.
    "I see nothing!" :D

TV Guide did a poll many years ago and it was in the top 3 of shows that folks wished had a series finale or movie. edit: My googlese sucks today. I can;t find a reference link.

The last scene is just Bob Crane's character making out with a female spy.

Which if you know who Bob Crane was *cough* most interesting. The man had some kinks. Kinks not Klinks.
  • pyrophilepyrophile Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'll take a crack at this.

Where does the slur klink originate from in reference to the derogatory term for Klingons?

I wasn't aware that it was inherently derisive, just a funny nickname. I call my own KDF toons kinks.

Also, why is your avatar just a shot of a female character's TRIBBLE and midriff? You're giving off a very bad first impression here.
  • mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    pyrophile wrote: »
    Also, why is your avatar just a shot of a female character's TRIBBLE and midriff? You're giving off a very bad first impression here.

Because no one had reported them yet since we dont have a report function and jumping through the hoops that PeeWee wants us to is a pain?

We have 2 full nude avatars here. Can't wait until you see those.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Because no one had reported them yet since we dont have a report function and jumping through the hoops that PeeWee wants us to is a pain?

We have 2 full nude avatars here. Can't wait until you see those.

No digression, please... we need to stick to the bare facts. ;)
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Well an TRIBBLE can mean a donkey, or... butt...

it all depends on the meaning you force on the word...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    anazonda wrote: »
    Well an TRIBBLE can mean a donkey, or... butt...

it all depends on the meaning you force on the word...
    EXACTLY!

Slang sucks. Why? because it takes words and twists their meaning until they don't resemble what they did originally.

and yes, Hogan's Heroes was one fo the best TV shows EVER MADE!!!! Yes, you heard me it was THAT awesome! Heck it's so awesome they've shown it on TV in modern Germany. Apparently the Germans think it's funny too.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • thoroonthoroon Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    FYI Klink is also a nice place in Germany, first mentioning being over 650 years ago :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • daharmasterklagdaharmasterklag Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I agree that the derisive term 'klink' should be phased out of use. I've seen it used all too often by trolls/haters in game as well as the forums. If people insist on using what has become an antagonistic slur they shouldn't be surprised when they are ignored or are responded to in an unfriendly manner.

For those who feel the word Klingon is too long, they could just use KDF instead, it is a lot shorter and less likely to stir up ill will.

• dkshadow9498dkshadow9498 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Um, is this a serious post? Or did I miss some inside humor along the way?

Ok let's start a list:

No more calling Klingon's "Klinks"
    No more calling Gorn "Skinks"
    No more calling Orions "Kinks"

No More calling Cardassians "Spoon Heads" or "Cardies"

No more referencing female caitans as "good looking pussies"

No more calling Vulcan's "Greenbloods"
    No more calling Andorian's "Bluejobs"
    No more calling Romulans "TRIBBLE" or "Rooooomans innnnn spaaaaccceee"
    No more calling Androids "Droids" or "Bots"
    No more calling Riegilians "pig headed"

Or am I going too far off base here?

Are we saying that Klingons are "space TRIBBLE's" or are we using it as a derogatory term to say that they are afraid to go fighting?

Either way, to draw that conclusion is.... weird

Human - man
    Klink - Klingon....

I'd rather be called a Klink than a Klinger (if we want to reference old war comedies), or a Kling-On which is sometimes a reference to... certain leftovers, after going to the bathroom. Or even just Kling.
    VADM William "Darkshadow" Shadow | Join Date: Apr 2009 |
    USS Immortal NX-93608-F (Oddyssey Tactical Cruiser)
    VADM Rogueshadow IRW Kirino Kosaka (Valdore Retrofit)
    LT General Morbo IKS Karac (Bortasqu War Cruiser)
    LT General Posu IKS Saya Takagi (Chel Grett Warship)
  • mspfuelermspfueler Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    So are the PC Police coming after me since I suggested naming our KDF Starbase "Stalag 13"?

;)
    Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

• bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Hogan!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • zev92zev92 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    So where is Sargent shultz then, for the ones that use it negitive.