test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Guest Blog: Join a Fleet

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
A veteran member of the community has written a Guest Blog about getting involved with Fleets in Star Trek Online.

Link to the Blog.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• flywizflywiz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I love fleets, everyone should join one! LD
  • drasketodrasketo Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    So, join a fleet. Get to know other players who share a passion for this game. And take advantage of the benefits fighting as a team brings. You will not regret it. I know I don?t.

Except for when season 6 hits and fleets by and large turn into grist mills for ripping people off.

Right now its just a chat channel. Whenver 6 goes live, it will be a chat channel with *drama.*
  • commadorebobcommadorebob Member Posts: 1,223 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Wow, what a great blog entry! That writer has such talent. :D
    "If you have never used Cello, I'm not interested in your browser opinion."
    Well said sir.
    A good fleet and DOFFing are the two things which have kept me interested in the game in 2012. It's not always easy, especially in a larger fleet with lots of veteran members. But there is always a cycle to things, people step away from the game and return, new players come in and need guidance, and you just never know when you'll click with someone through humor or a well-timed offer of assistance.

Now it's Starbases. Spending time understanding the system so that I can answer any question thrown out in fleet or voice chat. Posting a "primer" and screenshots in our fleet forum for those not on Tribble. Being an ambassador to meet other advanced Tribble fleets. Building up the bank reserves and flying in tactical wings to grind out Marks. Season 6 is the right system at the right point of this newly F2P game. The growing pains are there too, but we all know to expect it.

You don't have to appreciate the social component of a MMO to enjoy the mechanics of the game, but it's most definitely there to be appreciated. Sometimes it's good to leave the forum pessimism behind, and see people you recognise who are stoked about inviting you to their new ship's bridge. People who just want to blow some stuff up with you. Or actually being pleased that someone else got the rare drop. It changes the game. It makes the "daily grind" just that much more of an escape from the real daily grind. ;)

@Brackynews
    - Proteus / House of Proteus Officer
    =/\= Transwarp 10.0 Victory Achieved on 26-July-2012, Six Months After F2P =/\=
  • robpivarnikrobpivarnik Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Our solo-gaming stories sound similar, though I've yet to PvP even once, let alone join a fleet, though your post has me rethinking things.

After hearing horror stories of PvP-noob massacres, I'd always shied away from MMORPGs. In fact, STO was my first. It had to be. I was in front of our family's 25" B/W console on the evening of 8 September 1966.

Now, my main fear is, as a fleet novice, I'd be "holding up the game." But that sounds like my problem, since hearing about your great experience. Fleet quests would certainly open up a lot of new content for me. And, to be honest, I'd would sincerely appreciate some help kicking some Crystalline Entity TRIBBLE.

As to the title of this post, I wonder... You praise the fleet folk for their patience. Could it be that the community here is more forgiving and eager to help BECAUSE this is "Star Trek"? Let's face it: Even the most bloodthirsty, Klingon gamer-warrior has to have some affinity for the vision of The Great Bird of the Galaxy. A hope in one's heart for a future where everyone is cooperative, peaceful, evolved, and content. Most Trekkies I've known tend to be kind, generous people. Why shouldn't that spill over into our virtual reality, as well?

Peace and long life, Commodore.
    Un ami est quelqu'un qui te connait bien, mais t'aime quand meme.
  • drmoxdrmox Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Guilds traditionally have been the lifeblood mechansim for player retention in mmos if the content and direction of developpment failed expectations. If they were not properly supported they also became the "mass exodus" achilles heel of mmos as well.

Given that friendships created within these communities can last throughout the life span of the game and move onto new games etc; they are highly rewarding just on that count alone.

Finding a community that suits you both in what you can contribute and what you want out of it is half the fun. When you find the right community, you'll wonder why you stayed "solo" for so long, having missed a whole new world of gaming benefit that mmos were initially designed for.

Enjoy your new community Commadore Bob
    ! :)
  • logang19logang19 Member Posts: 13,843 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    well i can say that i love fleets i after spending some time in a fleet to figure out the ins and outs started my own recently and we all are good friends already. we are looking forward to season 6 and working together to work toward a common goal. love fleets they still keep me in the game and help make it a little more fun.
    " Now the gate has been unlatched headstones pushed aside; corpses shift and offer room ,a fate you must abide."
  • darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited July 2012
    I just happen to be a member of said fleet, it is a joy to be a part of :D
  • kalanikalani Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Just a shameless plug

If your a solo player who is interested in joining a fleet to utilize the upcoming Fleet Bases and you want a place where you can be left alone and have no one trying to tell you what to do, send an in game mail to @Body_Surfer for more info

The only rule will be that if you want to buy stuff at the Star Base you have to contribute.

If even just a hand full of solo players work together we can have a full base for a fraction of the cost to one solo player.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2012
    kalani2 wrote: »
    Just a shameless plug

Well, not just...

Me writing about my experiences with joining a fleet would only be relevant during a period of time when the fleet system is going to be expanded and thus everyone is talking about it.

The shameless plug part is just a bonus. :D

To quote Picard: "Worf asked first..." ;)
    I rather think he was describing his own post.

I considered doing the same thing he is, turn my alt-fleet in an open fleet of some kind, free of some of the idiosynchrosies that bugged me so much in other fleets. (Drama mostly, not just the 'bad kind'. I can actually shrug that off relatively easily. It's this whole 'we're a family' thing that makes my skin crawl. And the ranks. Specifically the existance of lower ranks. I tend to prefer to pretend none of this Vega Colony ensign-in-command stuff ever happened, so I replaced them with clearance levels myself.) But I'm having some utterly mindboggling technical SNAFUs right now, so this is hardly a good time for me to go and make sudden, unannounced absenses on my part into a potential problem for others anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
    edited July 2012
    hrisvalar wrote: »
    I rather think he was describing his own post.

Huh, you may be right. :o
    Awesome write up Commadore_Bob.
  • sharpk1ll3rsharpk1ll3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Good post about the benefits of fleets! I joined my fleet five years ago, and I've never regretted that decision. I hope everyone takes the time to find the fleet that's the right fit for them as we move into fleet-centric Season 6.
  • brackynewsbrackynews Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Good post about the benefits of fleets! I joined my fleet five years ago, and I've never regretted that decision.

Wow you've been playing STO for 5 years? You must be level 100 Uberthrawnmegazord Admiral. :D:D
    But yeah, good on you for finding a second home. My adoptive fleet began its guild life in CoH (another classic Cryptic product), and has grown to over a thousand members/characters across all its games. (I'm pretty sure the last update said 2000 but I don't want to misquote since I can't see in-game email from the forum.)
    =/\= Transwarp 10.0 Victory Achieved on 26-July-2012, Six Months After F2P =/\=