test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Officer of the watch dailies

admiraljt#1430 admiraljt Member Posts: 452 Arc User
As a Fleet leader I thought the first mission I got was quite appropriate. It was the "Inspect the Cadets" mission. But today I got a little upset with the officer of the watch, when he told me I needed to go and inventory some weapons lockers. I'm sorry I am a Fleet Admiral such menial tasks are beneath me. I've fought hundreds of battles, made first contact more times than I can count, and negotiated with some of the most hostile factions in the Galaxy. And after all that I am expected to inventory some weapons lockers.
Post edited by admiraljt#1430 on

Comments

• eiledoneiledon Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Just think of it as one of those "Back to the floor" type deals - like when a CEO goes back and works on his factory production line for a day to experience what their company is like for the grafters at the coalface.
  • admiraljt#1430 admiraljt Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    But I don't want to play "Under cover Admiral"
  • josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    But I don't want to play "Under cover Admiral"

Ok, then think of it as a morale thing. The people who work 'under you', since you are an Admiral, will be more apt to do a good job, if they see that you are willing to do the work that they do.
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
  • skipenguinskipenguin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I think of it this way (and this comes from me running Star Trek PBeM sims for years):

Part of a CO's job is to make sure that all elements of the ship/starbase are running smoothly. While we *may* take time to sit in our office(s) and catch up on paperwork, there are times when we have to get our hands dirty and do things ourselves.

Things like recalibrating the phaser rifles could be a training exercise; new protocols come in from Starfleet Security and you make sure that your senior officers know what is supposed to be done, so they can tell their departments.

:) Simplistic, I know, but that's my take on it. As an admiral, I have no problem helping out the lower ranks if I have time to do so.
  • dinkelsendinkelsen Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I think you are victim to a misunderstanding. YOU are no Admiral, your TOON is an Admiral, you are "just" a gamer playing a game. And as a gamer, you might be interested in playing this mission, or not.

If you are roleplaying, you have 2 options:

1.) Reject the mission since it is unter your pride to do. As an Admiral you have every right to do so. You can stamp your foot and yell at the officer to still give you the fleet marks... it would be good RP... :-)

2.) Create a different costume at the tailer and call it "Lt. Soandso". Change his face. Switch to this costume and do the mission. Since now you are playing a Lt. the mission would be appropriate. And as having multiple toons on one account is standard, having multiple identities in one char might not be that unusual. (I have tons of those)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

To Borgly Go Webcomic - Season 1, Season 2, Season 3
    Dei schware Pheisa Launzn trifft'n Robotazombiewiarfl und schlitzt eam fui auf. 50.000 Schodn, oida.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited July 2012

I received a daily to locate a missing PADD. Which had fallen off the communications grid and couldn't be tracked. Should I come across it, I was tasked with entering a unique code on the PADD, so as to make it detectable again. I did locate the PADD. Although, the resolve was instantaneous. Just return to the Officer of the Watch.

What I missed was the step to actually enter the code which the OoW was rather specific about. Perhaps a multiple choice of three codes to choose from?
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    As a Fleet leader I thought the first mission I got was quite appropriate. It was the "Inspect the Cadets" mission. But today I got a little upset with the officer of the watch, when he told me I needed to go and inventory some weapons lockers. I'm sorry I am a Fleet Admiral such menial tasks are beneath me. I've fought hundreds of battles, made first contact more times than I can count, and negotiated with some of the most hostile factions in the Galaxy. And after all that I am expected to inventory some weapons lockers.

In all sarcastic humor:

And how many changeling spies have you discovered? What if one of them was in charge of your locker inventories??? :P

As far as Starfleet knows, the only rank they can trust is Vice Admiral, heck, 5 VAs (or BG Klingon equivalents) are mandatory deployments on certain anti-Borg deployments (what we commonly call Elite STFs), and this might explain why the military has ballooned to 50,000 Vices...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Humour: Note to self: Create NPC mopping floors whenever I get access to the foundry. Name him after jackswaggert ;)

edit: I do accept that the poster had a valid point. I just see the humour in it.
  • havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Humour: Note to self: Create NPC mopping floors whenever I get access to the foundry. Name him after jackswaggert ;)

thread winner
    edited July 2012

edit: I do accept that the poster had a valid point. I just see the humour in it.

Please do this, almost nothing would make me happier.
  • daskippadaskippa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    'They also serve who only inventory
  • mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Please do this, almost nothing would make me happier.

Well maybe some day I'll get access....
  • hothspurhothspur Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Today I got an OoW assignment to fly to the weapons test satellite and defeat the ship.

I only battled the ship for a moment and it warped out.

I then could not either restart the mission or turn it in.

Not sure if this has already been reported but...
  • mgmirkin426mgmirkin426 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    So , I got the mission to inventory freighters. It tells me to read the manifest and then inspect the freighters' cargo to make sure they're carrying the right things.

Well, so I read the manifest and it goes like this:

Freighter 1:
    Freighter 2:
    Freighter 3:
    Freighter 4:
    Freighter 5:

Yep, all blank! Nothing listed.

So, I go over to talk to the freighters via console, and it tells me to select items to requisition from each freighter. 1) Officer of the watch didn't tell me to requisition anything, he told me to check the inventory to make sure they were carrying the right things. That's not quite the same as requisitioning things from the freighters. 2) Since the manifest was blank, I have no idea what to request from each freighter. I tried randomly clicking different items from the same freighter like 10 times, but finally gave up and submitted a bug request. If there was something else I was supposed to do, it really should have been made more clear. The Fed side inspect cadets was fine...
  • mgmirkin426mgmirkin426 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Sine we have missions that require we be in Starbase / Fleet Space, we really need a beam-out option from the starbase to our ship IN Fleet Space or Starbase Space and NOT in sector space.

That is, I got an officer of the watch mission that had me flying around to the different objects in our system around our base. However, when I beamed out I got beamed to sector space and had to then fly back into the starbase space to do the mission. I'd rather have not had to map-transition twice, but just beam out once and be in the right place...

More-or-less it needs to be similar to Starfleet Academy where you can beam to ESD, Earth Space or Sector Block. For that matter, it would be nice if ESD has beam out options for Earth Space OR Sector Space and not just Earth Space. Heck, throw SFA on the list too. If they're all in the same area, shouldn't they all have the same basic beaming options? Seems silly to have inconsistent menus that way.
    edited July 2012
    Sine we have missions that require we be in Starbase / Fleet Space, we really need a beam-out option from the starbase to our ship IN Fleet Space or Starbase Space and NOT in sector space.

That is, I got an officer of the watch mission that had me flying around to the different objects in our system around our base. However, when I beamed out I got beamed to sector space and had to then fly back into the starbase space to do the mission. I'd rather have not had to map-transition twice, but just beam out once and be in the right place...

More-or-less it needs to be similar to Starfleet Academy where you can beam to ESD, Earth Space or Sector Block. For that matter, it would be nice if ESD has beam out options for Earth Space OR Sector Space and not just Earth Space. Heck, throw SFA on the list too. If they're all in the same area, shouldn't they all have the same basic beaming options? Seems silly to have inconsistent menus that way.

When I got the mission to check the Tactical satellite, I went to the transporter pad. There was an option to return to ship, and that sent me into the space station system not sector space.
  • hyoukihyouki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    psiameese wrote: »

I received a daily to locate a missing PADD. Which had fallen off the communications grid and couldn't be tracked. Should I come across it, I was tasked with entering a unique code on the PADD, so as to make it detectable again. I did locate the PADD. Although, the resolve was instantaneous. Just return to the Officer of the Watch.

What I missed was the step to actually enter the code which the OoW was rather specific about. Perhaps a multiple choice of three codes to choose from?

Ha, the code is an old tech support reference...ID-ten-tango....ID-10-T....ID10T.

An ID10T error occurs when the user is an idiot. :P

EDIT: Oh, and while ppl might complain about this being under their dignity....do you not notice that the first thing the Officer asks is "Don't you have a job to do?", as in, YOU are the one approaching the Officer of the Watch for work. Don't feel the work is appropriate? Don't ask for it; some redshirt will get eaten by a grue while looking for that missing PADD, never fret.

He should get the fleet marks for it, too. Posthumously of course. :P
  • hyoukihyouki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Also, can we cut back on the cadet inspections? That one keeps popping up for me (and the missing PADD too), I'm really starting to get sick of it. Especially since all my cadets have problems. It'd be nice if they showed up and actually, you know, PASSED inspection for once...
  • mrbrownflkmrbrownflk Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I think there is a bug in the inspect the cadets mission. You can't resolve the mission if one or more of the cadets actually comes ready for inspection. You have to make a correction, even if everything is correct. Your only recourse is to drop the mission.