test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I Need to Rant...

nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
Okay, this really annoyed me. Someone just gave one of my missions one star claiming there were no instructions on where to go or how to start the mission despite it being clear in the opening dialogue which leads to me think they just ignored the writing in green or are just too dense to understand what the word "via" means. And I've tested this myself so I definitely know it works. Having that there'll deter people from playing it. In my first mission I forgot to change the spawn points so it didn't end properly but there were reviews afterwards so I'd assume it would click with people that I fixed it.

Anyway, rant over. I feel better :)
Post edited by nrobbiec on

Comments

• Options
    deyvaddeyvad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    you can always re-publish the missions without the comments and start from scratch.

Also, think of the most dumb, thick, clueless indicidual that you know. Think of him when you do the missions and then dumb it down.

Even there you may have a few that will be clueless as to what to do.

Also, you say you explained everything in the opening dialogue, that may not be enough, you may want to have detailed objectives that remind people what to do, some people run several missions at once.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    That's a good idea. Who knows, maybe was it was just an honest mistake and they misread the grant mission thing.
    I'm fairly new to the Foundry, I guess I should be a little more prepared for people to hate my work. I've seen users who have scores of amazing missions and I want to add to that, make something memorable that people will enjoy.
    I probably overreacted.
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    No you didn't over react, I had to have said in "The Other Starfleet?" that the Llaiir System is located in the Iota Pavonis Sector several times in the dialog. People still PM'd me in game asking where to go.

I got one brain child who asked where DS9 was located. I had to explain in great detail that you don't go to DS9, you go to the Malon System and board a shuttle to DS9. Then I think I got 2 more messages from him asking how to get to Spacedock from DS9... The first reply I gave him was one word "Transwarp". He didn't get it.

I originally thought people would like traveling from sector to sector since ST is about exploration. But this is where I got the most grief. I got several complaints about "zoning". More about things I felt were very story oriented. I think I know how Harlan Ellison must have felt.

Well I think you have the right to rant about people who cannot follow even the simplest of directions. I make allowances that some are only 8 or 12 years old and others have a reading level of 8 to 12 years old. :D
    NFA-banner.png
  • Options
    tosmonkeytosmonkey Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Always, always, always make sure that when you send a player to a location you include the system name and the sector block name in the "Mission Text" field so it will appear in the players in-game mission tracker.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    backyardserenadebackyardserenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Sometimes I also have the feeling it is a good idea not to use the more exotic star systems on the map - you know, those in remote locations and hardly visited sector blocks.

Besides players who will not find those systems, there are probably a few who will not start a mission, because the start system is too far off the usual crowded areas (e.g. DS9, ESD).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes you have to do things that you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    For me it wasn't even exotic, I put "Head to the Sol System via Wolf 359"
    I've always thought having the destination in the first mission text looks messy but I can now see the advantages to it.

Thanks for understanding guys, I was worried I'd look like a douchebag for the rant :o

Edit: @sandukutupu thank you for your very kind review of Thy Own Enemy :)
  • Options
    designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    We've all been there and all needed to make the same sacrifice.
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited July 2012
    Yep we've pretty much all been there.

The mission text is a must I think. I often wonder how many people don't realize you can go back and look at the recent text pop ups that are open by going to the communications log. I've had to go look there in a number of Foundry missions to find the start point if I accidentally missed it in the opening dialogue. Doesn't bother me to do that, but I bet some people get angry if they have to expend even that minimum amount of effort, and I bet some don't know you can do that.

In any case, as I see it there's three places you should put it. In the mission summary, in the first dialogue and in the first mission text. After that, it's the player's responsibility. If they're too dumb to figure it out that's on them, not you.

And I also say put the door where it makes sense for the mission. If a player can't be bothered to shlep to Iota Pavonis, then to heck with 'em.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Hi drogyn1701, just played you're Sink the Bismarck mission - it was excellent.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Much appreciated nrobbiec!
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    @drogyn1701
    It doesn't need to be laziness necessarily.

I've had people downgrade me because they need to search the area for an object and, I kid you not, do not know that there is a scan area button.

I don't know how they got to level 31+ without pressing the scan button, but my God.

I really can't blame them for their ignorance but... I can be impressed by it.
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I don't know how they got to level 31+ without pressing the scan button, but my God.

I really can't blame them for their ignorance but... I can be impressed by it.

LoL, I really didn't want to hear that just now. Oh boy, I have just placed 10 ensigns in a wooded area and the ONLY way to find all ten is the scan or V button. I think I will have the science officer go over the details with them. :D
    NFA-banner.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    So did that fix their disappearing act?

Personally I use the scanner all the time. I do wish we could select what the scanner will point to. I had a guy last night on my new mission downrate it cause he couldn't figure out where to go. Well I know that on the space map in question the scanner doesn't point to the reach marker. Luckily he was a nice guy and once I e-mailed him about what to look for he was able to finish the mission and re-rated it.

@XR: yeah I would believe people don't know about the scanner. I mean if no one told you about it, you didn't look at every keybind in the menu (which I do sometimes when I fire up a new game) and you didn't discover it by accident, you might not know its there. I don't blame people for not knowing, after all it took me like four months to discover how to talk in general chat when I was playing WoW. I mean you'd think it was /general right? It wasn't in the keybinds, i don't think it was in the manual (remember game manuals printed on paper!) and it wasn't like I could get on the chat and ask! I think we all sort of learn by doing in these games.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Hey, how can you republish missions without the reviews? I've tried twice but the I didn't know where to go reviews are still there...
  • Options
    mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Yep we've pretty much all been there.

I have 5 tabs open here in the forums where people have asked questions where they could have found their answer just by searching with the yet words that they use in their thread title. Or by looking through the Today's Posts list.

We've all been there.
  • Options
    zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    nrobbiec wrote: »
    Hey, how can you republish missions without the reviews? I've tried twice but the I didn't know where to go reviews are still there...

Import it as another mission and publish it
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    tosmonkey wrote: »
    Always, always, always make sure that when you send a player to a location you include the system name and the sector block name in the "Mission Text" field so it will appear in the players in-game mission tracker.

Some times even this doesn't work. I have one that says both in the Dialog and in the Mission Text Go to Hathon on Bajor. This is the start of the mission. I got a 1 star because the player couldn't figure out where to go. Here's the big part not only was he a fleet member of mine but we were in the same Teamspeak Server, and I told him directly where to go and he still gave it one star. Saying "I couldn't figure out where to go."
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Some times even this doesn't work. I have one that says both in the Dialog and in the Mission Text Go to Hathon on Bajor. This is the start of the mission. I got a 1 star because the player couldn't figure out where to go. Here's the big part not only was he a fleet member of mine but we were in the same Teamspeak Server, and I told him directly where to go and he still gave it one star. Saying "I couldn't figure out where to go."

So basically, pray some clever people are not deterred by these reviews so normal ones bury the dumb ones?
  • Options
    woghdwoghd Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    We've all been there...

I tell people exactly what to expect in my missions and still get 1-starred because of "this or that", which of course they were warned about, lol.

Think of it like an IQ test...
    [SIGPIC]HTTP://RABIDPANDARANCH.COM/images/grazcity.png[/SIGPIC]

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: CHANGE THE FORUMS BACK !!!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I once got 1-starred because a guy thought a certain ground mob was too hard. He hadn't gotten to the hard ones yet..... (commander klingon mob)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Hi markhawkman, thank you for the great review of Jus In Bello :)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    No problem. :)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I once got 1-starred because a guy thought a certain ground mob was too hard. He hadn't gotten to the hard ones yet..... (commander klingon mob)

Yea i had something similar to deal with at one point. I had a few ground mobs, that I placed, for the PC's to kill. Well aparently i didnt realize that when that many (6 in groups of 2) spawned together They "ranked up" I had a few of my Fleet running in a full group of STF'ers, in MACO ground gear. Well when they couldnt kill the NPC's and started in Teamspeak to give me the .....Shall we say...Down and dirty. I went back in and cut the 6 down to 3.

Oh and i played Sink the Bismark today. Nice one, I gave it 4 stars.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck