Options

Season 6 Dev Blog #10

2»

Comments

• Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    At first I was like... Tholians? :confused:

And then I was like... THOLIANS!!!!! :eek: :D:)

I actually slightly more excited about these guys than Starbases!

I give you the seal of approval! And free internets for all!
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    daveyny wrote: »
    ROTFLMAO...

Gotta Luv That Avatar.. ! :D
    Glad you enjoy it! :cool:

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    pillslingerpillslinger Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Awesome work. The artwork for them is great. Can't wait to see them in game.:D
  • Options
    brackynewsbrackynews Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    ... In Tholian Web, lockbox crushes you...? :rolleyes:
    starkaos wrote: »
    Must have that Tholian Ship and Tholian Boffs.

My bridge has 40 empty chairs and he can't use any of them. ;____;
    =/\= Transwarp 10.0 Victory Achieved on 26-July-2012, Six Months After F2P =/\=
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    love everything about the tholians right now. the EV suit looks epic. It will be interested to see what kind of weapons or battle equipment is added. i have visions of arm or shoulder mounted weapons rather than straight up guns but we will see.

looking forward to seeing them without the suit in their natural environment as well. should be fun.

the ships looks pretty cool as well. they have certainly moved the design from what we originally saw into a feel that is consistent with the amount of time that has passed.
  • Options
    eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2012
    I hope we can create Tholian NPC's and ship groups in the fundry as well. :)
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Artwork = Awesome, love it.
    (but why do i already see little rocket launchers and machine guns on the Tholian EV suit?)

Screenshot of Ship = confused ...BLUE?
    as far as i remember their ships were silver or at least gray... with blue glows...
    they need a shiny reflective chrome skin, not kitty carrier blue!

...if they are on tribble why do i have a hard time finding screenshots?
    i played a good bunch on tribble to test the fleet stuff, didn't run into any Tholians yet :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cptskeeterukcptskeeteruk Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Tholians in a space suit, er LOL. What an idiotic idea. I mean they use slave races to do stuff they dont wana do you know cryptic they are like the dominion in that respect. So i highly doubt they would have enviro suits.

Also i dont like that big tholian ship i just want to see the tos tholian ships really nothing else. Nothing on ground either cos it ruins the mystery about them as you see in tos. Enterprise doesnt count. :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jkerryjkerry Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Sorry, I got caught in the rumor mill. mikeward1701 corrected my mistakes. I post rarely in the STO Forums, so maybe I should keep it to myself until things actually happen. Mr. Ward, thanks for the correction, and I meant the first Open beta, basically the precursor for "Tribble".
    66s4zz3r5m2mhqs6g.jpg
    VADM JT Kerry, USS Astoria, Chief of Communications, the "Lucky" 7th Fleet, SFC, UFP
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Loving the work on the Tholians.

It's the 25th century. The Tholian starship we saw on TOS was the iconic triangular/pyramidal design. The Enterprise version was a century earlier and identical. I like the fact that you haven't treated them like they have a static technological development and that somehow their ships are still the same over a period of two and a half centuries, while Starfleet has passed through something like ten or twelve generations of starship design (and who knows what's between Ent and TOS besides the Daedalus, Kelvin, and all the many other ships that aren't in canon). Only the Borg can do that.

I like how you've maintained the triangular style of Tholian vessels I think your advancement is spot on. Think the colors should've been the silvery bluish you have but all engine components should be red. Other than that I like the ships, they're recognizable as Tholian.

The EV suit is great and it is excellent taste of you to not make them high power combat exosuits. It is entirely logical that the Tholians who need heat would have even more need of a utility spacesuit than any humanoid species, it's just logical. Only the Klingons, Hirogen, and Jem Hadar by way of their culture would actually have EV suits that say, we have to have weapons on it!

Excellent work please continue...oh and nice job on that story build up too. :cool:
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    senshibat01senshibat01 Member Posts: 11,254 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    yes new shineys are greatly appreciated. .

be sure to trouble shoot the audio..
    for looping and less repetition..

I think the Iconic tholian Patrol Craft would see great use as a practical proven design..
    not as a front line frigate but change to a Coast Guard cutter type mission.

OR as a Mail runner Diplomatic or system patrol as older Starfleet member planet ships did unless the mothballed fleet is called up for emergency.

Old Cannon had the Tholian Hold in a radiation zone harmful to carbon based life..
    all empires had a neutral zone and patrol detachment of small fleet watching them suspiciously..

The area would be ripe for Science ships and research.. the Tholians were more xenophobic then the Romulans.
    e81d2f2c7ce74e61cba28154fcac4cc2.jpg
    Tsuki ni Kawatte Oshioki Yo
  • Options
    mikeward1701mikeward1701 Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    jkerry wrote: »
    I want the Devs to see this - so I am SUPERSIZING this that their blind eyes might see.

I have been with this game since January 2010 - Yes this very first beta test. And I have dealt with a lot of TRIBBLE from the various POWER THAT BE. Lock Boxes! Zen! But, when you start taking the stuff I have had from the beginning, that is it.

I bought the Limited Box edition on this game from Gamestop in December of 2009. Part of that deal was the acquisition of the TOS Constitution Class ship - YES THE FREAKIN' Enterprise. And word on the street is that it will not be moved into the new Season 6 game play. Do you realize that there are fleets out there doing TOS scenarios as part of their Fleet game play. Ours had TOS Tuesdays for the longest time. We were thinking about revving it. So, are you going to go the next step? Are you going to throw away the TOS package set from the Cryptic Store? What other content are you going to take from us? ARE WE JUST USERS? We spent money on that stuff, and, unless we throw it away, we should still be able to use it!

I HOPE YOU ARE SEEING THESE WORDS - BECAUSE IT IS COMING FROM A PISSED OFF ORIGINAL LIFE TIME MEMBER!!! AND I HAVE BEEN WITH A FLEET SINCE GAME START - FEB 2010!!! PULL YOU HEADS OUT OF THAT DARK PLACE AND PLEASE SEE THE LIGHT!!!

DO NOT TAKE THE TOS CONSTITUTION CLASS SHIP OUT OF CIRCULATION - REFIT IT AND LET IT KEEP ITS ORIGINAL SKIN FOR SEASON SIX!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I'm gonna slide past your error regarding the beta and get to the meat of your post.

Your pre-order bonus with the TOS Constitution class flyable ship is a Tier 1 ship, that is how it was sold to you, and you bought it accepting those terms. The TOS Connie has remained in game since it was introduced, has remained a Tier 1 ship, and from what I've read Cryptic has no intentions of removing it from the game as a Tier 1 ship.

What Cryptic has said, is that it will not be getting refitted/retrofitted as a higher tier ship. So you won't be getting a T5/Fleet refit/version.
    Fleet Admiral Ward
    Commander, Starfleet Corps of Engineers • 7th Fleet
    Commanding Officer, U.S.S. HEART OF OAK • NX-1759-B • Odyssey class Star Cruiser ( Lexington Tactical Configuration)
    )
    (Steam - feel free to follow/friend me : )
  • Options
    mikeward1701mikeward1701 Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Regarding the Tholians, they're looking great and I can't wait to go up against them, in space and ground! :D
    Fleet Admiral Ward
    Commander, Starfleet Corps of Engineers • 7th Fleet
    Commanding Officer, U.S.S. HEART OF OAK • NX-1759-B • Odyssey class Star Cruiser ( Lexington Tactical Configuration)
    )
    (Steam - feel free to follow/friend me : )
  • Options
    zadamazadama Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Tholians in a space suit, er LOL. What an idiotic idea. I mean they use slave races to do stuff they dont wana do you know cryptic they are like the dominion in that respect. So i highly doubt they would have enviro suits.

Also i dont like that big tholian ship i just want to see the tos tholian ships really nothing else. Nothing on ground either cos it ruins the mystery about them as you see in tos. Enterprise doesnt count. :p

No, the Tholians are not conquerors - they are isolated, and prefer not to have any contact with other species unless they need to. Obviously, something has changed that - in Season 6 - is drawing them out of seclusion.

They're not really like the Dominion at all, and either way, environmental suits make sense. How else would they visit other worlds?

I'd honestly recommend reading the Vanguard TrekLit series. It sheds a lot of light on the Tholian way of life (although whether STO Tholians will conform to that has yet to be seen).
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    zadama wrote: »
    No, the Tholians are not conquerors - they are isolated, and prefer not to have any contact with other species unless they need to. Obviously, something has changed that - in Season 6 - is drawing them out of seclusion.

In one set of really, really ridiculous novels, they used slave races to do most of their work and ranked them among each other based on the number of limbs they had. If I remember right they could also weave the web into a giant fist and punch star ships, too, so there's how seriously they were taking things.

But, yeah, in canon, they were isolationist to an extreme. Even having their ambassador assassinated wasn't enough to get them involved in the Dominion War. Not counting temporal cold war hilarity in Enterprise, they never went on the offensive, despite proving their sound superiority over the Federation in the 23rd and 24th Centuries, they only attacked the ships and starbase they felt was too close to their territory and called it a day. In the only on screen attacks, they even gave their target the chance to leave and be left unharmed. Both Kirk and Archer rejected their terms, but they were both given opportunity (and in Kirk's case, entirely reasonable terms) to simply walk away.

They have more in common with the Undine than the Dominion. The Undine are also happy just to be left well enough alone. Based on the dev journal, I also suspect the Tholians may have been drawn into the conflict in the same way - the Iconians or their Romulan pets poked at them until they decided it's time to clean house.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Ok, I'm gonna slide past your error regarding the beta and get to the meat of your post.

Your pre-order bonus with the TOS Constitution class flyable ship is a Tier 1 ship, that is how it was sold to you, and you bought it accepting those terms. The TOS Connie has remained in game since it was introduced, has remained a Tier 1 ship, and from what I've read Cryptic has no intentions of removing it from the game as a Tier 1 ship.

What Cryptic has said, is that it will not be getting refitted/retrofitted as a higher tier ship. So you won't be getting a T5/Fleet refit/version.

OK - I stand corrected on all counts. - And I should have said the first open beta.
    66s4zz3r5m2mhqs6g.jpg
    VADM JT Kerry, USS Astoria, Chief of Communications, the "Lucky" 7th Fleet, SFC, UFP
  • Options
    amavaramavar Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Healthy dose of awesomeness!!
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Sorry, I got caught in the rumor mill. mikeward1701 corrected my mistakes. I post rarely in the STO Forums, so maybe I should keep it to myself until things actually happen.

Mr. Ward, thanks for the correction, and I meant the first Open beta, the precursor for "Tribble", which was basically the month before launch. I did an edit at the beginning of the original post - the statement above to recant what was said. Once it is on the posted it is there forever. Oh! the shame....

On a lighter note - too bad not upping Connie to T5/Fleet Refit. It would have been fun to take on the Tholians with the old ship in Fleet play, or can tier one ships be launched in a Fleet action in that scenario? Would there be anything stopping it?
    66s4zz3r5m2mhqs6g.jpg
  • Options
    logicalspocklogicalspock Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If they ever make a new Star Trek series, I know who they can call to license some good ship designs.
  • Options
    kwiat007kwiat007 Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm not a fan of tholians in EV suits. I would prefer them having some kind of portable personal field generators that contain environment which can sustain tholians.

How do they put on those suits?
    [SIGPIC]Join Date: August 2009[/SIGPIC]
    I live in an alternate universe, where j.j. abrams and cryptic never existed,
    where R.S.E. is what it always should be.
  • Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    kwiat007 wrote: »
    How do they pot on those suits?

they are a crystaline race. What makes you think they "pot" at all?

I have read several books, notably the Destiny and Typhon Pact, where Federation President Bacco deals with the Tholian Ambassador on several occations. Each time the author brings up the EV suit.
  • Options
    obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I like what I see so far :) I don't normally go onto beta as I like to keep the content fresher longer, so I can't wait to see what else is in store for this iconic race :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.
  • Options
    pyrophilepyrophile Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    jkerry wrote: »
    Sorry, I got caught in the rumor mill. mikeward1701 corrected my mistakes. I post rarely in the STO Forums, so maybe I should keep it to myself until things actually happen. Mr. Ward, thanks for the correction, and I meant the first Open beta, basically the precursor for "Tribble".

I want the Devs to see this - so I am SUPERSIZING this that their blind eyes might see.

I have been with this game since January 2010 - Yes the very first beta test. And I have delt with a lot of TRIBBLE from the verious POWERS THAT BE. Lock Boxes! Zen! But, when you start taking the stuff I have had from the beginning, that is just not right.

I bought the Limited Box edition on this game from Gamestop in December of 2009. Part of that deal was the acquisition of the TOS Constitution Class ship - as they said "Own your own Enterprise!" . So, your taking my Enterprise!And word on the street is that it will not be moved into the new Season 6 game play. Do you realize that there are fleets out there doing TOS scenarios as part of their Fleet game play. Ours had TOS Tuesdays for the longest time. We were thinking about revivng it. So, are you going to go the next step? Are you going to throw away the TOS package set from the Cryptic Store? What other content are you going to take from us? ARE WE JUST USERS? We spent money on that stuff, and, unless we throw it away, we should still be able to use it!

There is another in my Fleet that has been running a Miranda Class, and was hoping to finally get a refit when we get a Starbase, but, since it was a ship that came with no special device, he is now going to loose it! And he is livid over this. He has upgraded that ship with every possible device to keep it going. Why? Because it is the ship he wants to fly. And you are taking it from him.

I HOPE YOU ARE SEEING THESE WORDS - BECAUSE IT IS COMING FROM A PISSED OFF ORIGINAL LIFE TIME MEMBER!!! AND I HAVE BEEN WITH A FLEET SINCE GAME START - FEB 2010!!! PULL YOU HEADS OUT OF THAT DARK PLACE AND PLEASE SEE THE LIGHT!!!

DO NOT TAKE THE TOS CONSTITUTION CLASS SHIP, OR ANY OF THE OTHERS, OUT OF CIRCULATION - REFIT THEM AND LET THEM KEEP THEIR ORIGINAL SKINS FOR SEASON SIX!!!!!!!!!!!

If you're upset over the conversion to zen, you really have no idea wha you're talking about.

The exchange rate is such that the change is 100% efficient; the value in USD is exactly the same. You will not be losing a thing.
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Wow, just wow!!! These look awesome!
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    gornman47gornman47 Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Any new species added to STO is major plus! I can't wait to fight some Tholians but i can't help but wonder how we pissed them off so much that now we're fighting ANOTHER enemy. Is this still the hand of the Iconians or did we accidentally step over a galactic line into Tholian territory? I can't wait for the answers!
    Q: [quoting Hartley] "Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays..."
  • Options
    palpha2clearancepalpha2clearance Member Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Finally some light at the end of a really dark tunnel to look forward to.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lpthomasmariklpthomasmarik Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    pyrophile wrote: »
    If you're upset over the conversion to zen, you really have no idea wha you're talking about.

The exchange rate is such that the change is 100% efficient; the value in USD is exactly the same. You will not be losing a thing.

Wow.

Here is a link for you.

http://www.literacy.uconn.edu/compre.htm
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited July 2012

In "Future Tense", the Tholians were willing to board the Enterprise. Earlier, Reed had reported that the ship's interior was far too hot for any humanoid life to survive.
    Enterprise doesnt count. :p

Why not?
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone