test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Plasma Kinetic Weapon interesting observations..

webdeathwebdeath Member Posts: 1,570 Arc User
edited July 2012 in PvP Gameplay
While I was looking on the Market at Plasma Torpedoes after the interesting information about them that Husnak Provided in a different thread I figured I'd check to see how they compare to each other both Mines and Torpedoes..

Looks like for Plasma Torpedoes [Dmg] Is a good thing. If your going for a DoT based build, the [Dmg] effect will increase the damage on the Plasma DoTs. Looking at the Mk XII [CrtH] [Dmg]x2 The Plasma Dot is at 697 per second for 10 seconds. For a total of 6,970 damage over 10 seconds. Which can leave me to believe that if you have a [Dmg]x3 Mk XII Plasma Torpedo Launcher that DoT Should be around 700 Per second. And this is with out Factoring in Tac buffs and Console buffs. That is just the Base damage per tick. And sure a single Borg Proc and/or a Hazard emitters will just clear that right up. How ever if your Hazards happens to be on Cool down, and your not figureing in Stacking of Torpedoes (Because the Torp DoTs will stack) Not to mention Torpedo Spread launches or even a High Yield here and there, you could get some pretty interesting softening of hard targets.

Mines how ever... I don't think they are working with the [Dmg] Procs at all. While looking on the Market, first thing noticable, is that the Damage does not change based on rarity. Weither for the base damage, or the Proc Dot. It always does the same damage. The Second thing to notice is that the [Dmg] Effect will not buff the Mine DoT proc from what it appears.

This then brings me to a wondering thought.. Which is the Bug? Is it the [Dmg] effect on Mines, or the way the Torpedo DoT works with Buffs and [Dmg] Effects?
You think that your beta test was bad?
Think about this:
American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by webdeath on

Comments

• dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    im surprised that the plasma torp dot is that high, interesting. ive always though the plasma torp would be fine if it had so so initial damage but a really powerful dot, well i guess it does.

ive always wondered if mines are effected by weapon mods at all, they are level whatever npc objects, not something of directly fired from your ship, same with target able torpedoes. i mean if pets don't benefit from your ships stats, why would they? is the created npc object buffed in such a way that it spawns that object with a high critical stat if the weapon has a critical mod? would that mean they had to make a version of each mine with every possible mod combination?

paging borticus...
  • talzerotwotalzerotwo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Well now it all makes sense lol, just got out of a pvp match with just that o.o hmmm...
    [SIGPIC]http://tinyurl.com/msywqm5[/SIGPIC]
    Chillax. No Ego. No Drama.

Like my alien? Watch THE VIDEO
    Need custom graphics for you or your fleet? Click HERE
  • webdeathwebdeath Member Posts: 1,570 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Also, while looking at Plasma Energy Weapons, the 2.5% Chance proc is also not augmented by any damage boost beyond Rank. So a Rank X is 11 plasma, a Rank XI is 12 and a Rank XII is also 12 (This I think is a bug either Description or fowl up)
    Think about this:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,246 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    What plasma info did Husnak post?
    edited June 2012
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    What plasma info did Husnak post?

This is what he posted in the other thread.
    husanakx wrote: »
    It took almost 70 pages of look at me posts before I decided you sounded like one of my ex wives and started calling you Sophie. :)

Anyway... if you can't get 3 torps to hit the global you have bad doffs... 3 purple torp doffs (if that is your main dmg type you should be running 3). Every single torp will hit the global... Chrons I found do sometimes skip one here or there... but really 20% chance x 3... and the fact that each proc will reduce the cool downs on ALL torps loaded means 1 per second is the norm.

Doff Proc Math
    1 - ( ( 1 - x ) ^ y )
    This tells me that each torp fire has a 48% chance to proc a 5 second reduction.

I know I can fire 3 torps before I run into a cool down with out doffs.... so I get 3 fires at 48% so. In those 3 fires I have a 87% chance to proc one reduction.... so in general with 8 second and faster torps the chances of firing all 3 and having to wait 5 seconds for the next firing round is 12%... really you can count on the doffs with 3 launchers.

There is also a chance that multiple doffs proc on one launcher completely resetting ALL torp tubes.

Now to DPS numbers on torps... I have ran multiple tests in both PvE (where I will run similer spec torps... for my torps generaly crithx3... cause its what I have 3 of every type, I will also use the same ship and same skill load, I even try as best I can to run each run exactly like the last) I run SB24 3 times with each type and average the numbers...
    For PvP I have crunched numbers with my Brel torp bop... and yes I have used every type I won't include numbers cause honesty there all over the place... bottom line is in general the pve test numbers hold true for pvp.
    Any way drum roll.... Survey says..

First Place
    Plasma Highest DPS torpedo
    With Spread 3... average 320k dmg in SB24 runs
    With no buffs... average 280k dmg in SB24 runs

Second Place
    Quantum
    With Spread 3.. average 270k dmg
    with no buffs... average 220k dmg

Third Place
    Photon
    With Spread 3... average 250k dmg
    with no buffs... average 200k dmg

Fourth Place
    Chroniton (there dmg numbers where very close to photon... which is interesting seeing as photon get no prcos)
    With Spread 3... average 250k dmg
    with no buffs... average 200k dmg

Fifth place
    Transphasic
    With Spread 3... average 210k dmg
    with no buffs... average 160k dmg

One other note on torpedo viability... my SB24 all cannon runs... DPS is almost identical to the plasma torp numbers. :)

One other note I know I didn't inlcude any pvp numbers for you.. interesting note though unbuffed plasma torps end up with almost as high a dps number as buffed ones in pvp... I would make a pretty safe educated guess that that has to do with the unbuffed version of the torp having a 100% chance to proc the burn proc.

One last note please understand I am not saying plasma is the best torp in every situation hands down... every torp has its uses. (which make torps a ton of fun imo) Plasmas are far from the highest burst dmg torp... I am talking about pure Damage Over Time (DPS) here.
    Think about this:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    webdeath wrote: »
    Also, while looking at Plasma Energy Weapons, the 2.5% Chance proc is also not augmented by any damage boost beyond Rank. So a Rank X is 11 plasma, a Rank XI is 12 and a Rank XII is also 12 (This I think is a bug either Description or fowl up)

that, along with the set shields rendering them useless is whats wrong with plasma weapons. it would be 1 thing if particle generators buffed their proc damage like flow caps do for tetryon, but i've tested and they have no effect. poor plasma energy weapons :/
    edited July 2012
    that, along with the set shields rendering them useless is whats wrong with plasma weapons. it would be 1 thing if particle generators buffed their proc damage like flow caps do for tetryon, but i've tested and they have no effect. poor plasma energy weapons :/

Yeah. I agree. The Borg based STF equipment that has Inherient Plasma Resists involved is a horrible Idea for Plasma Energy Weapons.
    Think about this:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2012
    would that mean they had to make a version of each mine with every possible mod combination?

That would be one possible solution, though extremely time-consuming.

And yes, this concern is being rolled into our work on overhauling mines in general.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
    edited July 2012
    That would be one possible solution, though extremely time-consuming.

And yes, this concern is being rolled into our work on overhauling mines in general.

thanks for hanging with us on the weekend!

soooo does that mean weapon mods don't effect mines and heavy torps?

we still want plasma energy weapons saved from obscurity... saved from the stf set shields and saved from their unboostable and incredibly week proc damage...

most DOT effects don't damage a ship faster then a ships auto repair rate can heal the damage, for DOTs to mater the auto repair should proboly be paused wile your suffering from one, that would actually give them value.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    thanks for hanging with us on the weekend!

soooo does that mean weapon mods don't effect mines and heavy torps?

we still want plasma energy weapons saved from obscurity... saved from the stf set shields and saved from their unboostable and incredibly week proc damage...

most DOT effects don't damage a ship faster then a ships auto repair rate can heal the damage, for DOTs to mater the auto repair should proboly be paused wile your suffering from one, that would actually give them value.

I've noticed how in PvE that a High Yield Plasma Torpedo from a borg Npc will litterally destroy a ship at 100% hull and 100% shields on contact but if I did that to a npc or player with the same conditions it wouldn't get the same effect LOL :)
    edited July 2012
    that happens because npcs basically have a for and aft beam, maybe a cannon, and a fore and aft torpedo. to make up for the damage loss from just being able to fire the 2 beam arrays with any sort of up time, the entire suite of weapons has a huge damage multiplier applied to it, and not just on the energy weapon, but the projectile weapons as well. the npc's shouldn't have that modifier applied to their projectiles, thats what causes the lol 1 shots.

or they could give npc's 6-8 weapons, 100 weapons energy, and remove the damage multiplier entirely, so fighting an npc sort of resembles fighting another player ship. might make an transition into pvp easier for all the pve players...
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2012
    that happens because npcs basically have a for and aft beam, maybe a cannon, and a fore and aft torpedo. to make up for the damage loss from just being able to fire the 2 beam arrays with any sort of up time, the entire suite of weapons has a huge damage multiplier applied to it, and not just on the energy weapon, but the projectile weapons as well. the npc's shouldn't have that modifier applied to their projectiles, thats what causes the lol 1 shots.

or they could give npc's 6-8 weapons, 100 weapons energy, and remove the damage multiplier entirely, so fighting an npc sort of resembles fighting another player ship. might make an transition into pvp easier for all the pve players...

It's not safe to make too many assumptions. We can give NPCs as many weapons as we like.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
    edited July 2012
    It's not safe to make too many assumptions. We can give NPCs as many weapons as we like.

im sure you can, and i am excited to see the tholians your working on, after taking on that d'deredex defender that was showing up a wile back. thats shows that npc's can be built to react to damage, and proactively heal themselves. according to twitter, npcs are about to get a lot more interesting, i even made a thread about all the info about it here

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=291521

i'm really not assuming anything though, at least on the current state of npcs on holodeck. ive been vocal many times calling for their complexity to be enhanced.

take the galor npc for instance, a fore and aft beam, and a fore and aft torpedo. they might have 2 fore and aft torpedoes, it hard to tell. that npc with only 50 weapon power, because the word is all npc subsystems are set to 50, can deal as much damage as a 6 beam broadside from a player ship, on elite. that ship's photon HY3 can destroy a full shield facing, wile a player doing the same thing will cause no noticeable damage to a shield facing.

in lieu of number of weapons, there is highly enhanced effect placed on few weapons. wile that is more accurate to how things were in the show, compared to 8 beam array spewing cruisers in game, it is not the same set of rules and parameters player ships operate with. one or the other should be changed

so when you say you can give them more weapons, please do! give them more heals and other abilities too, and at the same time, reduce their mountain of hit points, and reduce the amount of damage each weapon deals. the closer their damage per shot is to player ship damage per shot, and the closer npc hitpoints are to player hitpoints, and the closer in effectiveness npc and player heals are, the more solid the game play will be. pvp and pve wouldn't be completely different things anymore.

oh ya plasma thread. if this was some fantasy mmo, it would be like fire damage was made worthless because all the end game gear defends against it, and everyone at end game is using that gear. the element of fire is made worthless, wile all the other elements are not.

thats equivalent to the state of plasma weapons in game right now. please reconsider making borg and unidine weapons their own unique damage type, so the stf shields can guard against them instead.

in all my game moding experience, this seems as easy as copying the file for plasma weapons, renaming the copy exotic plasma or something, and updating all the borg npc's to reference that in all the places they reference normal plasma now. the color of borg plasma are already different from player plasma, so some sort of difference already exists somewhere.

im sure the process of doing that will be quite complex, but thats the jist of what you would have to do to do it. and everyone on this forum would agree that its worth doing.
  • hurleybirdhurleybird Member Posts: 909
    edited July 2012

Nowhere did he make the assumption that you couldn't, only that you haven't.

A major rework of the NPCs to be set up more like player ships would fix so many of the glaring flaws in this game, and heck, might even make PvE enjoyable.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    That is one thing I'd like to see is npcs getting more interesting instead of me doing the usual of being armed to the teeth and dropping them in 2 seconds with a b'rel or most any bop for that matter.

The fun would be in the event of being able to actually getting to use a battle cloak for hit and run where as borg its somewhat limited because even with massive kinetic damage resistance they can explode any bop trying to do hit and run tactics like that.
  • this1isavailablethis1isavailable Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Plasma torpedoes are nice because the dot scales on energy damages skills and plasma energy consoles.

But mines are bugged (like melee weapons) and are not affected by most mods.
    For exemple [borg] mod has no effect on mines. Also, the [borg] mod doesn't count in rarity and mk XII borg weapons are in fact blue and not purple.
    These and ground KHG 3p bonus (melee bonus never worked) are major issues that were never fixed (or they are intended but I doubt it).
  • exal7exal7 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    While not really related, FAW & plasma beams are also bugged, any bonus +dot you get from skills etc. gets negated.
  • talzerotwotalzerotwo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Whats the dmg differences with a plasma torp using hy vs ts... i figure plasma dots on multiple ships is annoyingly fun]
    [SIGPIC]http://tinyurl.com/msywqm5[/SIGPIC]
    Chillax. No Ego. No Drama.

Like my alien? Watch THE VIDEO
    Need custom graphics for you or your fleet? Click HERE
    edited July 2012
    talzerotwo wrote: »
    Whats the dmg differences with a plasma torp using hy vs ts... i figure plasma dots on multiple ships is annoyingly fun]

I'm pretty sure a HY Torp is similar to a Tricobalt in damage. Maybe not quite the same, but similar. It's dot probobly gets upgraded too.. not 100% on it. How ever there is the little fact that it can get shot down and rendered useless.. thus why Torpedo spread is more useful then HY of course..

And a funny fact about Torp Spread and Plasma torps, it increase the DoT damage, while decreasing the Kinetic damage. :rolleyes:
    Think about this:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mavairomavairo Member Posts: 579
    edited July 2012
    I already have they Pyrokinetic Sci posted up :p

I'm also working on a more warp plassy Dkyr build to compliment it.