test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Looking for a suitable Doff channel

tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
I'm not sure if what I'm after exists, but I'll list the criteria and hope someone can point me in the right direction.

1. No random chatter.
2. No discussions of how to DOFF or how to maximize crit chance etc.
3. Allowed to ask if a particular assignment is running.
4. Active members/significant playerbase.

DOFFJOBs is pretty much trash talk now, so I stopped using it.

I tried to use DOFFCALLs, but somebody got a little cranky, so I left that channel.
I was having trouble finding an assignment, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has seen it (stage 10 of the Ferasan chain).
The second I did so, someone tells me not to.

In my personal opinion, that's a bad way to run a channel.
I logon when I feel like it, not when the Doff Assignments refresh.
So I'm likely to miss all the assignment callouts because of this.

I'm looking for a channel halfway between the extremes of DOFFCALLs and DOFFJOBs, if one exists.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
Post edited by tilarta on

Comments

• ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Are you saying that the spreadsheet is insufficient for what you are looking for?
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Not really interested in messing around with a spreadsheet while playing STO.

I prefer ingame communication.

Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Start your own maybe?
  • caliban149caliban149 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I don't think there's anything wrong with asking if a particular assignment is up in DOFFCALLS, as long as it doesn't turn into a discussion but only gathers a quick answer.

I agree that often your Doffing related questions often get buried under a heap of random chat in DOFFJOBS, however I quite like the chat channel side of it too . . . . perhaps it just needs a little re-balancing.
    edited June 2012
    Well, that's pretty much what I wanted, just someone to say:

"Yes, I've seen the assignment in this location"

And that would have been the end of it.

Let's face it, it's not like I would be asking this question for all the Assignments, just the Rare ones from chains or the Doff ones (like Rulian, for example).

So I'd hardly be talking in the channel at all!

But whoever it was seemed to a bit argumentative, so I left the channel until I get an official ruling.

Like I said before, if these guys aren't going to help me out once in a blue moon when I really need it, then it's pointless being in the channel.

I'm not up to the problems involved in managing another channel.
    Moderating EliteSTF is close to a full-time job and I'm not sure I want to oversee another channel.

Especially since any channel I oversee is never a public one, due to certain trolls (who will not be named) keep coming into make trouble and the only way to keep them out is to put the channel in "private mode".

• thepantspartythepantsparty Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    If everyone asked in doffcalls every time they wanted to know if an assignment was up, how long would it take until the channel was full of spam and more trouble than it was worth for the people who edit the doff spreadsheet?
    edited June 2012
    Read my post again.

I won't be asking about the average ordinary assignments.
    And neither should anybody else.

Just the ones that are hard to find.

I know players are having difficulty with the Caitian/Ferasan chains, so a lot of help is needed to work on those.

edited June 2012
    well maybe you can make your own channel with a posted list of assignments you're allowed to ask about and invite people to join that
  • latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    tilarta wrote: »
    Read my post again.

I won't be asking about the average ordinary assignments.
    And neither should anybody else.

Just the ones that are hard to find.

I know players are having difficulty with the Caitian/Ferasan chains, so a lot of help is needed to work on those.

I think pantsparty's point is that even if YOU know the difference between an 'ordinary' assignment and a 'hard to find' one, someone else may not. And there is some subjectiveness as to what exactly is 'hard to find'. Someone may have come across a 'hard to find' assignment as soon as they completed the previous step in the chain. Others may fly around for days looking for the same. And once you open up the channel to people asking about a specific assignment, you will have more and more people doing the same, with many of them not knowing the difference between 'ordinary' and 'hard to find'.

Note: I am not a mod of either channels. But I consider my ability to post/read it a privilege (as opposed to a right). So I do my best to follow the rules of the channel, even if I don't agree with them.

And I know you mentioned you don't like spreadsheets. Neither do I. But, I will look at it one time before I log on. If I see something interesting, bonus!. If not, then I'm no worse off for it.
    edited June 2012
    try /fleet
    edited June 2012
    Well, as far as I'm concerned, this list of Assignments to ask about is a fairly short one:

1. Project Chrysalis.
    2. Rulian Mazan.
    3. Gul Tain.
    4. Caitian/Ferasan Flight Deck Officers.

Basically, just ones that award the "Special one-of-a-kind Doff".

And the Nebula Colony Chains don't count, because everyone knows where to find them!

• arcademasterarcademaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    The channels were seperated for a reason. Just ask the question in Doffjobs and you'll get an answer. Put it in a different chat tab and you don't have to look at the random chat in between questions. Problem solved.

Wanting another channel just so you can have it easier when the existing channels serve everybody else just fine is a wee bit presumptuous. Your channel would only work if a significant amount of people would be in it and why would the majority of doffers join that channel too when it doesn't offer them any extra information?
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I'm not sure if what I'm after exists, but I'll list the criteria and hope someone can point me in the right direction.

1. No random chatter.
    So I'm likely to miss all the assignment callouts because of this.

I really doubt a channel like this would be very frequented. While the DOFFJOBS-channel might be occasionally a bit offtopic, it?s still a great scource of information and a good scource of doff assignments from other people?s bridges.

Imho there is currently a nice division. JOBS for bridge invites (you can see those assignments you mentioned pop up at least a couple of times a day in there), Dofftalk and a bit of socializing, while CALLS is strictly CALLS-only.
  • avarileriaavarileria Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Just ignore @LanceletLoire(?) - 'Bael,' I believe - and you will cut the chatter down in DoffJobs by at least 50%... unless you want to know what he's thinking every 3 minutes or so, in which case he will be sure to keep you regularly updated. :D
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Then the best compromise is the sheet.

If you're not already using the game in windowed max mode it will help you a lot to use this tool.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • baelispissedoffbaelispissedoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    avarileria wrote: »
    Just ignore @LanceletLoire(?) - 'Bael,' I believe - and you will cut the chatter down in DoffJobs by at least 50%... unless you want to know what he's thinking every 3 minutes or so, in which case he will be sure to keep you regularly updated. :D

This means war

On a side note to the original poster. Doffjobs does the job fairly well. There are conversations going on through out the day between the 4 hour cycles. And between those you can almost definitely see frequent missions getting called out. Not only that but when there's a doffing question asked you're bound to get 3-4 people giving you the answer relatively quickly. In fact I think I've seen Feresa 9/10 mentioned a couple times today while I was online.
  • mandrake45mandrake45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    DOFFJOBS is more like occasionally on topic than off. I know a lot of people don't use it anymore due to that.
    Having trouble with ground STFs? Looking for help?

Join the STFHelp channel
  • anagrojanewayanagrojaneway Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Well, as far as I'm concerned, this list of Assignments to ask about is a fairly short one:

1. Project Chrysalis.
    2. Rulian Mazan.
    3. Gul Tain.
    4. Caitian/Ferasan Flight Deck Officers.

Basically, just ones that award the "Special one-of-a-kind Doff".

And the Nebula Colony Chains don't count, because everyone knows where to find them!

"As far as I'm concerned" is the key phrase there.

Some people could care less about those, and want the high XP ones.

I'm not sure if you realize how your posts are coming across, which is why you are getting some of the answers you are.

1) You call DOffJobs trash, 2) you left the CALLS channel when you broke the rules and were called out on it because you didn't want to use DOffJOBS, and 3) you refuse to use the spreadsheet because of your "preferences".

Do you not realize that that all sounds terribly self-centered and snobby to the community that participates and maintains these resources? That's why you are being told to create your own.

Personally, I don't use the chat much anymore either because I'm tired of the constant crying over lockboxes (every single time I enter it, without fail), but that's why the spreadsheet is there. It's actually VERY Star Trek - do you think Kirk and Picard just randomly flew about the galaxy looking for assignments, or that they called up and chatted with other captains and asked what was to do out there? No, they consulted communications and the computers, which is very much like what the spreadsheet provides.

If this is all not enough for you, then perhaps you should take the advice to make your own "suitable" channel - or make nice and use the existing channel resources properly. You are not the only player of this game, nor are you the more entitled/important than anyone else.
    edited July 2012
    That's why you are being told to create your own.

Actually I told the poster to create their own because they were looking for something specific that wasn't met with what was currently available. I can speak for myself. Thanks.

I've used both doff channels and I have to admit that (I'll be good here) well they weren't what I was looking for either.

Of course the abuse I got when I asked for the non-bit.ly url the spreadsheet didn't help much either.

Please kindly don't give another player TRIBBLE when your own house isn't smelling too rosy either.
  • anagrojanewayanagrojaneway Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Actually I told the poster to create their own because they were looking for something specific that wasn't met with what was currently available. I can speak for myself. Thanks.

I've used both doff channels and I have to admit that (I'll be good here) well they weren't what I was looking for either.

Of course the abuse I got when I asked for the non-bit.ly url the spreadsheet didn't help much either.

Please kindly don't give another player TRIBBLE when your own house isn't smelling too rosy either.

My house is just fine - I've maxxed out my XP three or four months ago and have 350+ purple DOffs thanks to the spreadsheet and the channel. They obviously work.

You were not the only one who said "create your own", or implied as such, and I did not quote you in my post - so not sure why you got all defensive on me, but I guess my statements above apply to you as well.

I'm sorry you had someone "abuse" you - that's what ignore is for. It's going to happen in any public channel that you have less than desirable people at times. But then again - your question was one of the redundant/unneeded ones that lead to the complaint of the OP. Want to know what the URL is? I can see some responses being, "Look it up". The bit.ly URL was made up so people didn't have to keep typing out the whole dang name to save time when the question is asked every five minutes. Asking what it leads to kind of defeats the purpose, especially when anyone with a web browser can find out where it leads in three seconds. So yeah, I can see that getting a bit of...feedback, LOL.

Basically, it all boils down to this: the channels and the spreadsheet are there. The OP is miffed because he asked a question in the wrong channel, which is expressly why the channel was set up was to NOT have those questions there. The question would have been answered in DOFFJOBS, and if you had to overlook some noise to get it, so be it.

Kind of like your situation - just because a few people in a channel at a given time give you a hard time for asking a questionable question, doesn't forever "taint" it, nor does it mean the functions this community has overall implemented are going to change because of it.

But that's a discussion that could go on forever, and I'm sure neither of us have the time. I don't completely disagree with you, either - DOFFJobs is messy now, for me it's all the lockbox whining - but it does the job and it gets it done. So does the call channel, which yes, if you break the rules for you will get TRIBBLE. ("But it was just a simple question..." - if everyone thought that way, it would become DOFFJobs.) It just smacks of entitlement ("No questions allowed, but surely my question is OK...").

I think you two should start your own channel. All seriousness. If the existing ones are not your "preference" to use, that's great. I wish you luck in it, because it takes a large community effort to document DOffing, and basically you have to eliminate/not pay attention to the TRIBBLE to have access to that. It's kind of like going to the library - one day, someone is rude and bumps into you in the stacks. You leave, vowing never to go into the library again because someone was rude to you.

Your choice then really becomes - deal with it, and do what you can to avoid it in the future, returning to the library...or start your own library. Since the reason most people go to the library is to get or view materials without charge, starting your own library seems like the opposite way to go, as you would not only have to provide books for yourself, but everyone else. Hire your own staff, enforce policies, etc., etc.

Seems a lot more simple just to shrug off the rude person and go back to the original library.
    edited July 2012
    I am considering starting a channel yes.

But I'm not sure if I want to do so, given the problems with moderating EliteSTF.
    Two channels might be more stress then I can handle.

I've mentally drafted a guideline/rulebook in my head though, even have a name for the channel.

But it's mostly up to the players, I don't want to start another channel that nobody uses!

We have 2 Doff channels already and the one I'm considering is geared towards a specific purpose, but is it 1 channel too many?

• pointedearspointedears Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I am considering starting a channel yes.

But I'm not sure if I want to do so, given the problems with moderating EliteSTF.
    Two channels might be more stress then I can handle.

I've mentally drafted a guideline/rulebook in my head though, even have a name for the channel.

But it's mostly up to the players, I don't want to start another channel that nobody uses!

We have 2 Doff channels already and the one I'm considering is geared towards a specific purpose, but is it 1 channel too many?

with all respect to yourself tilarta i feel you people over at elitestf should stay away from doffs and focus on STF's, after all thats what you do best and i dont think 2/3/4 channels would be a realistic job for you and the other elitestf admins. Also if you were to launch a doff channel and it became popular what happens when there is no moderation (as happed with elite stf a few months ago) and the admins/mods that were there did nothing to moderate the channel aka brokenmirror im not going to do anything i cba moderating

Stick to elitestf and the good job you and the mods do there
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2012
    Oh, this is just an idea I had off my own bat as it were.

I haven't mentioned it to any of the other Admins of EliteSTF, nor asked for their involvement at this time.

But yes, you have a valid point.

I can't admin all the time, as that would necessitate being online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
    And obviously, that's not possible.

So, I would need other Admins and operators to supervise during the time I'm not online.

And I can personally assure you I will not let what happened to EliteSTF happen again in any channel I moderate.

I don't wish to discuss the reasons, but I took some time off from moderating EliteSTF and when I returned, I was horrified to find out how it had gone downhill.
    And that's when I started getting in back the way is should be.

edited July 2012
    I'm sorry you had someone "abuse" you - that's what ignore is for. It's going to happen in any public channel that you have less than desirable people at times. But then again - your question was one of the redundant/unneeded ones that lead to the complaint of the OP. Want to know what the URL is? I can see some responses being, "Look it up". The bit.ly URL was made up so people didn't have to keep typing out the whole dang name to save time when the question is asked every five minutes. Asking what it leads to kind of defeats the purpose, especially when anyone with a web browser can find out where it leads in three seconds. So yeah, I can see that getting a bit of...feedback, LOL.

Thank you for proving my point. If you're not interested in helping folks, please kindly don't pretend that you are.

The biy.ly redirect doesn't work on many public networks. It as well as many other redirection services are blocked because they're used to hide sex/TRIBBLE links. I explained this and politely asked for the real link. The response I received that less than polite. Much like your response here.

The link does not work for "anyone".

Would take less than a minute for someone to buy a domain and create a redirect with that. I politely suggested that as well which was met with much rudeness.

edit: And this is the second time you've been rude to me in these forums. Maybe you need to take a step back and reconsider your actions.
    edited July 2012
    The biy.ly redirect doesn't work on many public networks. It as well as many other redirection services are blocked because they're used to hide sex/TRIBBLE links. I explained this and politely asked for the real link. The response I received that less than polite. Much like your response here.

Would take less than a minute for someone to buy a domain and create a redirect with that. I politely suggested that as well which was met with much rudeness.

If you're the one who can't access bit.ly because you're on a network that restricts it (ie, you're looking up a videogame spreadsheet while you're at work), maybe you should be the one that spends money on a domain name instead of telling "someone" to.
    edited July 2012
    Okay, I eventually decided to make the channel and hope it proves useful:

DOFFchains info thread

• daedalus27daedalus27 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Here is the thing. Over time, it becomes harder and harder to find chains. that is because the dedicated doffers finish them early and then can't see assignments anymore. They also can't update the sheet with information that no one has. Doffjobs is crowded but if you mute the political/TV/religious/etc chat, you can get an answer, even if that answer is no one can see it.

If you don't want to use the sheet, thats fine, but your missing out. If you don't want to use the crowded, off topic channels, thats fine too. But a dedicated channel with no one in it, isn't that helpful either.

Here are the best strategies for finding chains/assignments you need.
    1. Do the legwork and look yourself
    2. Go to all invites and just double check that someone else doesn't have it that can't see it, has it on cd, or isn't to that stage yet. Many a time I have located assignments not advertised for on others bridges.
    3. Just let nature take its course and you will find it eventually. Chains aren't going anywhere so sometimes not looking for it will get you there faster than a dedicated search. A watched pot never boils.
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    1. No random chatter.

1. DOFFCALLS
    2. DOFFCALLS
    3. DOFFJOBS
    4. both

asking where a assignment is, is the very reason i made the bit.ly/DOFFS sheet to begin with so people can stop asking and just look on the sheet instead, if it's not there chances are no one has seen it / called it out,
    i found it utterly silly that every 2 - 5 minutes someone asked where the Resettle Colonists assignment is...

... that gets old real fast.

i rather make a mark on a sheet and everybody can look there for the rest of the 4 hour cycle.

having the info on the sheet for 4 hours where everybody can look is imho preferable to answering the same question every few minutes.

if you like none of the infrastructure options that we've build
    well, *shrug* can't make everybody happy.

but i agree that there is too much Zonechat in DOFFJOBS,
    that was so before the sheet too,
    i brought some order to chaos with my sheets.

Sadly the channel is not moderated, whoever created it is long gone,
    there is no way to take over an existing channel with an inactive owner, the GM's won't hand it over either (didn't even react to my ticket...).
    Result: a few arguing users can bring the whole channel off topic rather fast.

We tried to pull the *discussions* out of DOFFJOBS by creating DOFFCHAT -> didn't work, people did not jump for it.
    So we created DOFFCALLS to get the calls in a clean channel for everyone who wants to see them and NO chit-chat and for our Editors to edit them into the sheet, or even as an option to highlight the calls in bright **** color between the chit chat.

All options are there.

DOFFCALLS is moderated and has strict rules, NO CHIT-CHAT, NO DISCUSSIONS (that includes asking where assignment XYZ is ) -> go to DOFFJOBS for that, but even there you may be told to look at the sheet.
    Teach a man to fish and all that...

Bridge Invites are also allowed in CALLS (it's in the channel description), but the users usually prefer to keep them in JOBS to not distract the Editors.

...i think thats all there is to say about that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The link does not work for "anyone".

True - I have given the full link to DoffJobs spreadsheet to many friends because they could not access it (or did not care to use) the bit.ly/doffs link.

I understand that it can be challenging to ask in the DoffJobs channel to get the full link, or to get an answer other than 'check the sheet' if you're asking about a particular assignment. I also understand it is equally challenging if you're in the DoffJobs channel and constantly seeing the same question every few minutes.

@Z3R0B4NG & @LucasPurcell have done an outstanding job with the DoffTrekker spreadsheet, link also found on that url. It can take some time to set up, but is an excellent way to track your toon's DOffing, and links to the spreadsheet in real time, so if you're looking for a particular assignment you will know when it's been reported.

It's still very important that people who utilize these tools also give 'clean calls' in the DoffCalls channel, otherwise none of the tools will work.

Aliella Hawklight, Divine Oracle Devoted Cleric
    "Whenever a time arises where clarity is desired, it is always wise to reflect on the sage within."
    ― Sereda Aleta Dailey

DaiMon Moogie, U.S.S. Acquisition
    Rule of Acquisition #57: Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them.

STO LTS since launch; NW player since 2014; ARC user - only when I have to put in codes for free stuff :)
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    the official link is

http://bit.ly/DOFFS

bit.ly links are case sensitive, somebody else did save a bit.ly link with "bit.ly/doffs" so that is working too, but that wasn't me.

any other links like bit.ly/DOFFTREKKER3 will NOT work if you type them as small letters.

just saying, because i see a lot of people in the chat typing the links in small letters... you are doing it wrooong :P

it should all be CAPSLOCK
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]