test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

what are the advantages to crafting?

earthling2earthling2 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
Hello!

im a recent addition to the game, and I've powered my way through the story arcs to become a top flight admiral, and now im turning my attention to the finer points of sto, crafting being one of them.... i was wondering,

does a mk IXX phaser bank have more DPS than a mk IXX bank bought from a dealer for dilithium?

i mean, unless crafted items are better than their equivalent i cant understand what the fuss is about.... i would be most greatful for any reply...:cool:
Post edited by earthling2 on

Comments

• Options
    avitrekavitrek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Crafting is an alternative to spending millions of EC on the exchange, among other things. If you have tons of dilithium and very little EC, it's an easy way to outfit yourself.

Truth be told, with things the way they are, it's generally better to just buy the stuff on the exchange.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    at the moment crafting is a waste of time.

maybe after its been updated it "might" be better
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Agreed, crafting is a waste right now, although I have 3 fed and 1 kdf crafter(s). I crafted some quantums the other day, it cost me roughly 18k in dilithium and a couple 100K in EC's to buy all the goods needed to craft one. For 22k in dilithium, you can just buy one outright from the dilithium store. Save yourself the time and effort, buy from the Exchange or the dilithium store.
  • Options
    atomicfbatomicfb Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Honestly it depends. At low levels, I mean low low levels and if you have been collecting mats it is a good way to equip your ship. As you increase in levels if becomes more expensive and the exchange or dill store becomes more viable. However, sometimes depending on what you are looking for and if you can't find it on the exchange or it is priced out of reach, you can always turn to crafting it.

Also part of the problem with crafting is, especially in consoles, some can't be crafted. Victorium for example.
  • Options
    beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    It's good up through (IIRC) mk VIII stuff. After that it's too much of a Dil sink to be worthwhile.
    edited June 2012
    yes, it is a leveling tool, and not an endgame tool.

you can craft some stuff, that will get you some money off the exchange, but the amount you get for them is so low, it will only matter when you are low level, with no money

10k DPS Vesta threads: 1; 2
  • Options
    xceptionalzeroxceptionalzero Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    none...sorta

Though if there is an item you cant get elsewhere then craft it.

Otherwise 99% of the time its cheaper to just buy the item from the exchange.
  • Options
    rdm1958rdm1958 Member Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    to my knowledge crafting is the only place to get the Aegis set. i guess it is a matter of opinion if the Aegis is worth having or not. i use mine on one of my oddys and it does pretty well.
  • Options
    happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    earthling2 wrote: »
    what are the advantages to crafting?

Aegis Set? Stuff is slightly cheaper than the DStore?
    maybe after its been updated it "might" be better

Considering that Dstahl has suggested that STO might adopt a system like Champions now has (which is, like, a PWE standard) you should probably expect crafting to get much, much worse.
  • Options
    mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    rdm1958 wrote: »
    to my knowledge crafting is the only place to get the Aegis set. i guess it is a matter of opinion if the Aegis is worth having or not. i use mine on one of my oddys and it does pretty well.

You can buy the Aegis set off of the exchange. Usually runs 5-6m for all three items.

That's how I got mine.
  • Options
    rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    There are end game advantages to crafting. Luv the Aegis set, and also [Dmg]x2 modifiers you cannot find elsewhere and are ridiculously expensive on the Exchange. Need EC's? Craft something.

Crafting for levelling? Not so much. Cheap but I usually outlevel the gear by the time I get a set. If I craft during levelling it is because I want to max the skill, no other reason.
  • Options
    nyiadnyiad Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Aegis Set really.

..I know I haven't touched crafting on my main Fed in months because it's pointless.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    High-end crafting can be a way to make decent, if not amazing, money. A couple of the Mk XI consoles will sell on the Exchange for twice what their manufacturing components cost (if you bought them there to begin with), netting you a couple hundred grand per sale. Its also quite useful when you need something like a Field Generator and you can make it youself for 400k instead of buying one for a million.