test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What's the "Story" of Starbases?

greedo42greedo42 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
What's the "Story" behind Starbases?

This is both a rhetorical question and a request. Something I would like to see is a narrative explaining WHY my fleet is building our starbase and WHAT our purpose and objective is in buidling it. WHERE is our starbase actually located (yes, I know it is ETA Eridani somewhere..., the same place everyone else's is),.

Since these things are still maleable and in flux, I thought it would be interesting to hear some suggestions from people, perhaps some foundry authors, for an interesting backstory that answers some of these questions, and provides a sense of grounding.

Thoughts?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]PWE Web Team is bound for Gre'Thor.....:mad:
Post edited by greedo42 on

Comments

• Options
    mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Admiral Quinn got tired of all of us dropping our dirty socks around ESD and is getting rid of us? :)

I just think of it as a home base. Most military organizations have them as well as area bases.

For example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Bragg
  • Options
    gornman47gornman47 Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I'm pretty sure the starbases are being established on the border of the Klingon Neutral Zone because of the war. It would be cool to have an actual in game story built around our starbases too.
    Q: [quoting Hartley] "Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays..."
  • Options
    stealthymcthiefstealthymcthief Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    You know, there's space out there and living on ships all the time kind of sucks because you'll get motion sick but then you build a giant mushroom in space to stash all your swag and other things you find in space and thus, a child is born. Any questions?
  • Options
    tanith1989tanith1989 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    you know what i dont understand is why we still call it the neutral zone its not really neutral now is it more like the Klingon Federation battle zone
    Ketan Merious
    Captain, U.S.S Transcendent
    Explorers Fleet, Senior Member
    We want an Odyssey variant give us it
  • Options
    red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Fortification of the lines of battle, I would say. It's a lot harder to get past a hundred heavily-armed starbases than a hundred ships, especially if those bases can converge their ships in the gaps between the bases.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    red01999 wrote: »
    Fortification of the lines of battle, I would say. It's a lot harder to get past a hundred heavily-armed starbases than a hundred ships, especially if those bases can converge their ships in the gaps between the bases.

Space is three dimensional. I know you couldn't tell from playing this game but it is and ALSO endless in all directions. Good luck covering that.
  • Options
    tinman56tinman56 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Hah, that's true... It is more of the main battleground were the war is being fought :biggrin:
    ===========
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yeah... Not the best signiture, but it's my first time using an advanced image editing program, so... woo!
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    greedo42 wrote: »

This is both a rhetorical question and a request. Something I would like to see is a narrative explaining WHY my fleet is building our starbase and WHAT our purpose and objective is in buidling it. WHERE is our starbase actually located (yes, I know it is ETA Eridani somewhere..., the same place everyone else's is),.

Since these things are still maleable and in flux, I thought it would be interesting to hear some suggestions from people, perhaps some foundry authors, for an interesting backstory that answers some of these questions, and provides a sense of grounding.

Thoughts?

Instead of Cryptic making the story, why not let us make up the story. Have something like a Starbase Bio?

With Cryptic's end, perhaps you go through a Fleet Tutorial when you create a fleet? And that explains you've been granted permission to construct a new base along the Neutral Zone to defend assets in the Eta Eridani sector.
  • Options
    greedo42greedo42 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Instead of Cryptic making the story, why not let us make up the story. Have something like a Starbase Bio?

With Cryptic's end, perhaps you go through a Fleet Tutorial when you create a fleet? And that explains you've been granted permission to construct a new base along the Neutral Zone to defend assets in the Eta Eridani sector.

Hmmm.....I like the idea of giving us some control of our bases' story through a bio or the like. Very interesting idea, and easy to implement....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]PWE Web Team is bound for Gre'Thor.....:mad:
  • Options
    zachverantzachverant Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    My question is, are we going to have a Transwarp to our Fleet starbase. Other wise traveling there is gonna be a pain if you are in Zena or Romulan space. It would be more time efficient to just go to a closer SB...ie: ESD, SB39, DS9.

just wondering...:confused:
    "Sips her PWE Koolaide and looks at alllll the goodies in the Z store"
    Badname Betty (PvP...PvE...STF...Trophy Hunter...Latnium Collector...Federation)
    Commander Morgana (PvP...PvE...STF...KDF)
    1000 day vet and LTS
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] STO Join date: 7 Feb 2010
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Space is three dimensional. I know you couldn't tell from playing this game but it is and ALSO endless in all directions. Good luck covering that.

Just because the game depicts the Fleet Starbases in a two dimensional way, doesn't mean we have to think of it that way.

There will probably end up being thousands of bases in time...

One could think of them as forming a grid between the Fed's and the KDF with each just far enough apart to still be able to reasonably scan the distance between each adjoining station.

Kinda like the grid that Q put in front of the Enterprise-D in the first (and last) episode of TNG, but of course on a more massive scale...

Or even like the Star League Frontier in The Last Star Fighter.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    zachverant wrote: »
    My question is, are we going to have a Transwarp to our Fleet starbase. Other wise traveling there is gonna be a pain if you are in Zena or Romulan space. It would be more time efficient to just go to a closer SB...ie: ESD, SB39, DS9.

One could imagine that as being one of the special projects the Fleet could earn as they climb through the different ranks to Tier-V.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    basedelta0basedelta0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012

Yea you right. I guess star fleet has been doing it wrong by trying to defend themselves all these years. Guess we shouldn't even try...
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    daveyny wrote: »
    Just because the game depicts the Fleet Starbases in a two dimensional way, doesn't mean we have to think of it that way.

There will probably end up being thousands of bases in time...

One could think of them as forming a grid between the Fed's and the KDF with each just far enough apart to still be able to reasonably scan the distance between each adjoining station.

Kinda like the grid that Q put in front of the Enterprise-D in the first (and last) episode of TNG, but of course on a more massive scale...

Or even like the Star League Frontier in The Last Star Fighter.

You don't seem to get how space works. You can put as many bases as you want there and still not cover everything. The only way to ever do that is to build a sphere out of starbases around all of Federation space. I don't ever have to pass between two bases otherwise, I can go up or down for as long as I want, pass over and head in the opposite direction.

Sure it's impractical but so is building an endless wall of space stations somewhere in space. And I guarantee you going around will be more cost effective than actually building all those bases.
  • Options
    swolf2012swolf2012 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Well, technically the Federation is at war, so as many resources as they can build and have out there (as noted before, space is BIG... really, really big) the better.

I think Cryptic should make use of their new characters and the Enterprise when debuting this system. A tutorial built around the new captain and crew stepping us, the players, through the new features of the Starbase would be pretty cool.

It would both introduce the Starbase system to the community, make use of the new stories and characters Cryptic developed, and... well, this IS Star Trek, after all, so the Enterprise is kinda important.

As always, just my 2 credits.

greedo42 wrote: »

Thoughts?
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited June 2012

You couldn't tell that from watching Star Trek either.

They routinely had blockades and treated space as a flat, two dimensional disc.

But, hey, part of Star Trek is that there are barriers keeping us inside the galaxy. We know of one at the rim and one at the center. There's probably a ceiling and a roof too since people are unable to leave the galaxy in Star Trek. (Especially since one would think that going up or down would be the most convenient way to do that.)

The galaxy is walled into a fairly flat donut in Star Trek.

IP trumps realism.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    You don't seem to get how space works. You can put as many bases as you want there and still not cover everything. The only way to ever do that is to build a sphere out of starbases around all of Federation space. I don't ever have to pass between two bases otherwise, I can go up or down for as long as I want, pass over and head in the opposite direction.

Sure it's impractical but so is building an endless wall of space stations somewhere in space. And I guarantee you going around will be more cost effective than actually building all those bases.

I understood perfectly...

But as Levi-99 said this ain't reality, it's Star Trek. :wink:

And who's say that the bases won't form more like a curved arc back toward the Federation, rather than a straight up-down/side-to-side wall along the Neutral-Zone.
  • Options
    kimmerakimmera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012

The base itself doesn't cover anything directly. It acts as a resupply, repair and command control facility.

Fleets stationed at a base can intercept and/or strike from there, providing the 3 dimensional coverage needed.

The base itself becomes a strategic target, even though it doesn't control any space directly.
  • Options
    cusashorncusashorn Member Posts: 461
    edited June 2012
    Wait, the bases are being set up in Eta Eridani? The Arkansas of the Alpha Quadrant? Why are they sticking us in the backwoods part of space?

I mean come on, not even the Kazon would live there, and they're Gang-Bangers. IN SPAAAAAACE!
    "My frozen dairy-based confectionery attracts all the males of the species to the facilities. They all agree on it's superiority. Indeed, it is superior to yours. I could teach you the finer details but that would require monetary recompense on your part."
    -The Milkshake Song: Vulcan Edition
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tinman56tinman56 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The backwater? Maybe normally, but considering it's pretty much the main battlezone between the KDF and the Federation, with battles being waged in every system, these starbases are the only logical step.
    ===========
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yeah... Not the best signiture, but it's my first time using an advanced image editing program, so... woo!
  • Options
    naharikajalnaharikajal Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I like the idea about foundry authors telling the "story". Could be a nice theme for the Foundry Challenge #5.
  • Options
    sotaudisotaudi Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    zachverant wrote: »

I would assume that a Transwarp destination to the private instance for your starbase is one of the upper tier rewards since there appears to be a transwarp gateway under construction in the instance near the starbase. However, whether that is true or not, a transwarp destination to the Eta sector block is one of the early tier rewards for Diplomacy in the DOff missions. At least for me (on my Fed character), the only other Transwarp destination I have right now (other than Sol) is to Sherman's Planet, Deep Space K7, which is right next door (sector space-wise) to the Federation entrance to their starbases instances. I do not know where the Klingons get as a destination to that sector (or when they get it), but even if it is K7, their starbases entrance is just on the other side of the sector block.

Warping directly into the instance would be more convenient, sure, but it is probably easier to grind out the diplomacy reward than it is to get a starbase to whatever tier may have transwarping to the instance as a reward. In other words, no, it is not going to be a pain to get there from anywhere else as long as you have done your Diplomacy tiers in DOff missions.
  • Options
    sotaudisotaudi Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2012

And you don't seem to get how science fiction space travel works. To quote a different franchise, "Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star, or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it." Imbeded in the concept of hyperspace travel in science fiction is that there are specific routes through hyperspace. Star Trek does not make as big a deal of that concept as other franchises, but even Star Tek supports the idea that you can blockade space.

Take, for instance, the DS9 Episode, Sacrifice of Angels. Sisko and his armada have to run a Dominion/Cardassian blockade of DS9. The context is that the blockade is well away from DS9. When I saw that scene, I couldn't help but picture the scene from Robin Hood: Men in Tights where Robin confronts Little John on the log bridge. Achoo is baffled why Robin chooses to fight him when I could just come down and hop over the tiny stream. That is basically the idea that you are portraying.

However, deep within heart of the science fiction idea of hyperspace travel is that you have to avoid gravity wells and other space phenomenon, causing there to be specific routes you have to travel through hyperspace. That being the case, the idea that you can blockade these routes with far fewer resources to keep someone from going from a specific destination to a specific destination is quite reasonable. That is, you would not have to blockade all of space. Just enough to force the invader to travel vast, impractical distances at less than light/warp speed. Meaning, yes, you could always travel up, down, left, or right and eventually get around any blockade, but doing so would be less practical than trying to break the blockade.