test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fun with Torpedoes

helmsmn2helmsmn2 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
edited June 2012 in The Academy
I have noticed that during combat, my ships will randomly fire multiple torpedoes. This never seemed to occur when I started new captains, only after they were leveled up. Does anyone has insight regarding what causes this and how to improve its frequency? Is it simply placing skill points in Starship Projectile Weapons or some other skill? I didn't find anything about it in the wiki.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Cleverly disguised as myself - Helmsmn2
Post edited by helmsmn2 on

Comments

• Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    is it usually when your turning or the ship your firing at at the edge of your torps firing arc? if so your just seeing a graphical error of firing when your really not.

long ago around launch, when you critted with a torp it would actually fire another torp, and when using torp HY, it would actually let each torp a chance to crit, meaning you could fire 3-4 torps with a Torp HY 1.

nowadays its jsut a graphical error when the torp fires when it reall doesnt, at just the right angle you can have continuous fake torp fire.

so unless your using the Torpedo high yeild, or Torpoedo spread skills, then yes, this is a bug. though Torp HY/spread II and III fire more than I's.
  • Options
    helmsmn2helmsmn2 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    tenkari wrote: »
    is it usually when your turning or the ship your firing at at the edge of your torps firing arc? if so your just seeing a graphical error of firing when your really not.

nowadays its jsut a graphical error when the torp fires when it reall doesnt, at just the right angle you can have continuous fake torp fire.

That's too bad. It looked like I was occasionally getting a free torpedo added to the mix. I was hoping get a couple more. Oh well, thanks for the info.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Cleverly disguised as myself - Helmsmn2
  • Options
    zzomb1zzomb1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    tenkari wrote: »
    long ago around launch, when you critted with a torp it would actually fire another torp, and when using torp HY, it would actually let each torp a chance to crit, meaning you could fire 3-4 torps with a Torp HY 1.

Sounds fun and the damage of the torpedo was bigger too when such a crit happend? Or just another torpedo fired out of the tube right away when it hit the target?
  • Options
    areikou#8990 areikou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I've seen this happen when my ship will fire 2 or 3 without using HY or TS. The damage is the same, though frankly I kind of like it when it happens, gives a small graphical variation to the normal pew pew of the torps.

There's another bug that can cause torps to just spit out constantly but never hits the enemy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [Unrepentant] Lapo@overlapo: the problem with space STF
    is that you can't properly teabag your defeated opponent

Unrepentant: Home of the Rainbow Warrior and the Rainbow Brigade.
  • Options
    hakaishinlegionhakaishinlegion Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    It isn't a bug. It is dependent on your target.

It happens exclusive to PvE and notates normally large or stationary targets. I suppose it is Cryptic's attempt to make PvE-ridiculously-boring-standing-still-firing-at-stationary-targets-snore more visually appealing, watching more than 1 shiny pixel fly at the target.

Gauge when it happens instead of how it happens, and you'll see what I mean.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Yes, I fly a Galaxy-X... and yes, I just 1-shotted you with it." -- Alcione@Hakaishin
  • Options
    romuzariiromuzarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I've noticed it in STFs when I'm at certain angles. I can spam torpedoes one after the other like they're on "semi auto" mode without any cooldown timers. I'm pretty sure it actually does damage but it's not a lot at all. Seems turrets do better. After 10 or 20 shots I notice really quick that there's no real damage being done and I move along from the idea.

I just assumed it was one of those rare proc DPS things til I saw it in action more frequently in STFs. Specifically when line of sight is blocked off in Cure Space.
  • Options
    soleonesoleone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012

It happens exclusive to PvE and notates normally large or stationary targets. I suppose it is Cryptic's attempt to make PvE-ridiculously-boring-standing-still-firing-at-stationary-targets-snore more visually appealing, watching more than 1 shiny pixel fly at the target.

It is not exclusive for PVE, it also occurs on PVP & OPVP, and yes it is a graphical glitch.
  • Options
    felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited June 2012

soleone wrote: »
    It is not exclusive for PVE, it also occurs on PVP & OPVP, and yes it is a graphical glitch.

Well, the big stationary targets do have multiple target points (or whatever they're called). You can see your phasers also hitting them at multiple spots. The Orion shipyards you have to destroy in some patrol mission is a good example of this.

But other than that one situation, it's a (pretty fun) bug.
  • Options
    nerdman2063nerdman2063 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I think it's just a glitch because I fired like 20 or 30 torpedoes at once and I finished the battle just like that. It barely lasted 2 seconds which doesn't make sense.