test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

In breach of Office of Fair Trading Guidelines?

angelgigaangelgiga Member Posts: 63 Arc User
After reading this through again, although I am already familiar with the documentation, I am pretty certain that Cryptic/PWE are in breach of the Treating Customer's Fairly Legislation that was passed in the UK 26th May 2008.

As such it could be argued that Cryptic/PWE are acting outwith the 'good faith' agreement they have entered into with their customers.

Quote from the document:

'The new regulations ban traders in all sectors from using unfair
commercial practices towards consumers. They set out broad
rules outlining when commercial practices are unfair. These fall
into four main categories:
? A general ban on conduct below a level which may be
expected towards consumers (honest market practice/good
faith). This is intended to act as a ?safety net? protection
for all consumers.

? Misleading practices, like false or deceptive messages,
or leaving out important information.'

The full document is available here to read and is from the Basic Guide for Businesses.
http://www.oft.gov.uk/business-advice/treating-customers-fairly/protection

The reason that I am personally concerned is the entire lack of information until after it was done. It is only within a few hours of this post that anything was ever stated to the community. Therefore a consumer could be correct and expected to believe that, before any such announcement was made, the website had been taken over fraudulently and that consumer details could have been compromised such as card details, name and address etc. Now obviously this did not happen, but consumers could have been forgiven if they thought this was so. Therefore, as far as the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) is concerned they are in breach of UK legislation.

I am unsure if that binds them as they are not a UK based company but surely they have to follow the laws of any country in which they trade?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by angelgiga on

Comments

• dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Not sure the forum is a part of the actual game. The game has not changed at all.

You can still log into the game if you do not switch over to a PWE account from a Cryptic account and still buy C-points as normal with that account. It is only if YOU choose to switch that you then are able to post on forums and purchase in game currency as zen rather than c-points.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • dariusmajeredariusmajere Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    No Financial Transactions take place to use the Forums. A Free place for us to post, Based of course upon Registration and has no affect on a game that has a area for currency to be used on. You are not FORCED to register with Perfect World International in order to play the Game. You chose to do it. Fair market Practices occur When a paying party is forced contractually into agreements that they did not.. agree upon. The forums are not contractually needed to use the game. The game also does not contractually require you to pay any income into it in order to play it. These you do on your own options based upon an Ala Carte System. You voluntarily Do so with no Agreements made. Nor unless you have Written proof from the CEO of Perfect world signed into any direct agreements portraying to use of Perfect World Games or entities. Now If you were paying a Legally binding Contract, for example a Mortgage on a house, Or another legally binding Agreement individualized to you. That would be a Fair market Violation. Due to the change affected everyone Fairly, Across the Board. I do not know how far you would get within that arguement.
    Proud Fleet Commander in Garfon's Renegades!
    Proud Leader of the Massive Chaos Group
    Proud Listener of Subspace-Radio.net The Voice of Star Trek Online.
    [SIGPIC]http://massivechaos.enjin.com/[/SIGPIC]
  • angelgigaangelgiga Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Just a thought was all. I am just concerned in the lack of information. While we don't pay to use the forums it is part of the service provided right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    The forum was there well before the game and so it could be argued that the forum is a public domain not related to the game directly, but portraying and allowing discussion of said game in a handy location.

It is not a part of the service paid for by subscribers to star Trek Online especially since if it were then Free players would have no access to it at all.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • commadorebobcommadorebob Member Posts: 1,223 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Even if you linked your accounts, your existing game property continues to able to be accessed. Other than me purposefully choosing to change my password, my log in is still the same and I have access to the same character I had when I first started two years ago.

The only noticeable difference is I select Perfect World instead of Cryptic when I log in.
    "If you have never used Cello, I'm not interested in your browser opinion."
    No Financial Transactions take place to use the Forums.

This may be the case right now but before all these changes we weren't allowed to post in the forums unless we bought cpoints with real money and used them in game. Sure you could read them but in my opinion yes you had to pay to use the forums.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Even if you did try to make a case, it would likely be thrown out since the issues are technical in nature (albeit staggering in ineptitude), and not something that would be covered under an 'unfair business practice law' such as that.

The main people being hurt by this is PWE, since if no one can buy anything from the c-store, they are not making any money.

The c-store is their bread and butter.

Quite honestly I see some kind of token 'we're sorry' event in the near future to placate people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    500 years in the future and we still look like schmucks when getting our ID photos taken...
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Uk law (and indeed US law) has ZERO authority over forums in most cases
    all depends where the forum is hosted
    Live long and Prosper
  • kimmerakimmera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    mgazer wrote: »
    This may be the case right now but before all these changes we weren't allowed to post in the forums unless we bought cpoints with real money and used them in game. Sure you could read them but in my opinion yes you had to pay to use the forums.

That is a moderation issue to try to keep the forums free of spam and other anti-social behavior. I doubt any reasonable person would conclude anyone paying anything to play STO or to buy anything in game does so because they get to post on a forum.
  • mgazermgazer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Maybe, but why it was instituted doesn't really matter. The fact is that you had to pay real money to post anything. It annoyed me to no end since I'm a silver player and wasn't allowed to post anything anywhere that I tried.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    These forums, Cryptic and PWE are hosted and based in the US, therefore UK law does not apply. Also, I'm pretty sure PWE's many many solicitors (or lawyers, depending where you're from) have checked over everything to make sure PWE aren't committing any crimes etc.
  • sjclark1981sjclark1981 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    angelgiga wrote: »
    Just a thought was all. I am just concerned in the lack of information. While we don't pay to use the forums it is part of the service provided right?

Just so you know in the faq of this newly change not "maintainence" that happened yesterday, there had been no annoucement of the new pwe login system and in a few weeks or months you have no choice but to make a pwe account to access STO.
  • kassad2kassad2 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    God, I LOVE internet lawyers... :biggrin:

Someone please pursue this serious matter! Clearly PWE has no right to do what it wants with it's private intellectual property without the express permission of a bunch of trekkie roleplayers on the internet.

I mean you agreed to a terms of service (a contract) that says they can pretty much do whatever they want, but I'm sure any judge will simply throw that out and rule that you have been damaged by changes to a forum provided as a service by the owners of the intellectual property you make use of under the aformentioned terms of service. I'm sure that the UK judicial system will immediately put resources to this matter that would otherwise be squandered investigating murders and robberies to sort out PWE.

I only have two requests:

1. Show up in court dressed as a Klingon or Federation officer. Demand that judge address you as "Captain".

2. Film the proceedings and put it on Youtube. I know Daniel Tosh will pay a fortune for it. Probably enough for you to make bail after the contempt citation. :tongue:
  • poisonpoison Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    You have no rights to this forum or anything you've ever typed in it, it is a service they offer that they do not have to. They can do whatever they want up to, and including getting rid of them entirely and there is no law anywhere they are breaking. They could have not imported the old posts back in at all, but they at least did that.
    jfsig02.png
  • sharyssasharyssa Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    This whole thread made me...LOL. :biggrin:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • torgaddon101torgaddon101 Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I have been watching this thread with amusment..

firstly the OFT have the rights to inpose fines on companies if it is shown that they have mislead customers, whether in the UK/US or any other country agreeing to copy right rules..

or are you saying PWE have the right to dictate..?

the question is what they have done..?

1. is it legal and lawful?

2. has any contract been breached?

3. can it be proved that PWE has defrauded customers?

using the word fraud and accusing anyone of any thing, needs to be backed up in LAW as the burden of proof is with the accuser..

hence 'due process'

PWE is innocent of all allegations till proven wrong..

sorry that's the Law

but if a 1000 brits were to complain to the OFT, they would then have to investigate..
  • starkymanstarkyman Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    indeed mate
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    18. Interruption of Service

(a) PWE reserves the right to interrupt the Service from time to time on a regularly scheduled basis or otherwise with or without prior notice in order to perform maintenance. You agree that PWE will not be liable for any interruption of the Service, delay or failure to perform resulting from any causes whatsoever.
    (b) You acknowledge that the Service may be interrupted for reasons beyond the control of PWE, and PWE cannot guarantee that you will be able to access the Services or your Account whenever you may wish to do so. PWE shall not be liable for any interruption of the Services, delay or failure to perform resulting from any causes whatsoever.
    (c) PWE has the right at any time with or without reason to change and/or eliminate any aspect(s) of the Services as it sees fit in its sole discretion.
    (d) PWE is not be obligated to refund all or any portion of any Account fee (if any), by reason of any interruption of the Services by reason of any of the circumstances described in paragraph (a) or (b).

http://www.perfectworld.com/about/terms
  • bludaggerbludagger Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    It is not such much a question of such a law, as the United States has such things in place too, that Cryptic and these forums have to be in compliance with as Cryptic is a USA based company, but majerie has it correct, since no money is involved, the law does not really cover it.

It is, however, a huge question of Ethical Conduct, Communication, and straight forth poor high level management.

Cryptic is a small company with a huge hit, and you can see they struggle with it each day. Yes, their learning affects most of us in how they do things, they do the wrong thing and learn, and they also do the right things too team. Lets give some credit too where it is due.

It is human nature to focus only on the bad, I am as guilty of that as any.

My only beef is the questions I posed in the original thread with Branflakers, a management overview should of asked those questions before the change was allowed to occur. The fact it was not, shows the poor management of the forums, which history shows too of the control factor and communication of poor execution. It is any management responsibility to make sure the team as a whole is on the same page before executing anything sweeping. Not Bran's fault, he deserves and award for being patient enough to deal with us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Legal or not, it was still a jerk move to do this with zero warning.
  • angelgigaangelgiga Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I think the original point i made has been diluted somewhat.

My concern is not due to monetary transactions, service interruptions or most of the above.

My concern is with treating customer's fairly.

The use of the service provided by Cryptic/PWE is Star Trek Online.

We expect these companies to treat us fairly in our dealings with them regardless if we are paying for this service or not.

By not notifying customers that they are making a change, or what change they are making is not treating that customer fairly. It is not respecting them as a user of the service and as such states to that customer that their views are of little value.

What the documentation states is that this applies to you regardless if you are a bakery shop declining to tell people you have closed down or moved premises (however crude this notification may be), a bank not telling customer's that they have changed the terms and conditions for an account, a debt collection agency mis-representing itself or harassing a debtor, or in this case declining to advise customer's of a major and important change to the way in which their account works to be able to use the forum.

PWE/Cryptic declined to treat it's users fairly by:

1) Not telling them a change was happening
    2) Not advising customers that this change would necessitate a change to the way you log in to both the paid service (STO) and it's forums.
    3) Not advising customers that a change to their personal information would be required (i.e. password and username).

The fraud comment was in regards to the idea that because no notification was given, a customer could realistically believe that their details had been compromised as it was not only the forum details that changed, but the details that were required to access their account which may or may not include their credit/debit card details, home address and phone number. I am not saying that this IS fraud. What i am saying is that a customer could be concerned that it could be confused as fraud as no notification was given.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]