test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Need Advice: How do you adapt to STO's social sphere?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited June 2012 in Ten Forward
I Need Advice: How do you adapt to STO's social sphere?

After playing "Star Trek: Online" for three months, I have come to the conclusion that I have an issue with adapting. Since the majority of the games I play are offline single-player, I noticed that I have a problem with sharing my gaming experiences. While watching people converse in the chat box, I noticed that other gamers are also having the same problem. I feel like there are too many conflicting personalities, and that it has become hard to see through the static.

Also, since I have a very strong sense of libertarianism, I am having a problem with joining structural fleets and groups. Once I do join certain types of fleets, my independence conflicts with fleet obligations and structure.

If there is any advice you could give someone in my position, what type of social skills have helped you adapt to "Star Trek: Online's" social sphere? How can I stay independent without losing myself to (or conflicting with) the group collective?

Any advice?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    STO is as social or anti social as you can make. Find your niche or if you prefer to fly solo resign yourself to not doing any of the endgame content.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Fleets can be annoying sometimes. You might try joining a custom chat channel, they have no obligations.

Right clickie on the top of your chat window.
    Go to the channel listing tab.
    Type in "TenForwardForum".
    Click 'join'.
    Talk to people who frequent Ten Forward here. Sometimes we run things as the mood takes us. The only thing we tend to do every weekend is meeting up at 2PM EST to do pvp or stfs together. That's only a small fraction of us, though.

edit: Cappy ninja`d me out of nowhere!!!! :eek:
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    hort_wort wrote: »
    Fleets can be annoying sometimes. You might try joining a custom chat channel, they have no obligations.

Right clickie on the top of your chat window.
    Go to the channel listing tab.
    Type in "TenForwardForum".
    Click 'join'.
    Talk to people who frequent Ten Forward here. Sometimes we run things as the mood takes us. The only thing we tend to do every weekend is meeting up at 2PM EST to do pvp or stfs together. That's only a small fraction of us, though.

edit: Cappy ninja`d me out of nowhere!!!! :eek:
    Has the constant moaning and bemoaning about the boxes subsided?
    Because that is why I left... Got kinda boring logging in to a insufferable wall of "*Whatever box is in fashion at the moment* TRASH! *foams around mouth*".

Funny story about that by the way... No.
  • Options
    carmenaracarmenara Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    How I adapted:

1) Chart down a things I like and don't like about STO player interaction

Likes - players acting like TOS or TNG captains, using authentic naval style ship to ship comms during team missions

Dislikes - (back in the day) gender discrimination on zone chat, players not communiting / organizing teams until on the verge of mission failure, ill-managed or even dysfunctional fleets

2) During your forum interactions and gameplay experiences, build up gradually a list of persons who share similar views on likes and dislikes. Play with these people

3) Form your own task force / fleet based around said concept, label it 'newbies only' to ensure high quality recruits to the group. Practise a participative, non-discriminatory management style that focuses on (for my case) personal initiative, innovative high performance ship and character design, and a moderately high intellectual level of Star Trek discussions.

4) use 3) to reinforce 1) and create community synergy within your own group.

--

Conclusion

Joining big fleets simply don't work for some people (myself included). However, there's nothing stopping you or me from finding a group of persons or people who share your same views. STFs, Zone chat, PvP matches are all great ways to break the ice and see if you can bring together a few regular wingmen for daily matches and STF tours of duty.

When you get 4 wingmen, it's time to coordinate active playtimes and form your own fleet :)
    STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel