test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I Demand Corniness!

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I Demand Cornyness like in other MMO's and other PWE MMO's I demand that those of us who have Significant others that play this game (of any Gender ::eyes PWE's stagnant adoption of that system in there games:: That we have the Ability to have a bit of happiness in these ExTremely War (*snorts* torn Times. As the Klingons and Federation suffer massive Losses (in the Supreme and action packed PVP arenas....) on there sides. I demand a sign of happiness other then Kitty characters rubbing against everyones legs! Open up a marriage System! Even if it gives no perks :P Some new Addition to the Social side of this Game. Star Trek has had Many relationships in its days.. Let's Open up some in game.

P.S. some races have multiple marriages so lets not ignore them either :P Not everyone is happy to have one person boss them around in life... Some races just don't learn :P :D

P.S.S. Could even open up some new Character Costumes for the C-Store..and some RP fun for the SSR crew :D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Asking for things for 2 years have gotten us very little... Don't think demanding things is gonna change too much...

Also: Marriage? This is a game... Are there seriously people nuts enough to pretend they get married in games? (Don't answer... Sadly I know it already).
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Iono... This ones kinda made PWE Some nice change over the years :P So ya never know lmao.

Hey, Some of us have Actual women that play this game with us :D
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Iono... This ones kinda made PWE Some nice change over the years :P So ya never know lmao.

Hey, Some of us have Actual women that play this game with us :D

Well... Most of PWE's titles are more over in the´, what I define as, redicilous end of fantasy with magic and dragons and stuff like this...

I'd really prefer that they keep that kind of stuff out of STO... Things are bad enough as they are.

I know... I have my "own woman" in this game... That dosent mean I want something that we play for fun to take on real-life values.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Sci-Fi is a form of Fantasy ya know :P Besides There have been weddings in Star Trek, and relationships on and off. Some of the best relationships come out of conflict. Theres goto be more then just Dancing and praying for them to release the Air Guitar emote finally
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    :D if you are stuck marrying only her.. it has already taken on real life values :D
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Even in its most navel gazing period DS9 had comedy episodes. The game needs more crack like Abraham Lincoln in space.

Marriage? That's what Second Life is for.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Sci-Fi is a form of Fantasy ya know :P Besides There have been weddings in Star Trek, and relationships on and off. Some of the best relationships come out of conflict. Theres goto be more then just Dancing and praying for them to release the Air Guitar emote finally

Here is where actual reading comes into play:
    Most of PWE's titles are more over in the´, what I define as, redicilous end of fantasy with magic and dragons and stuff like this

You'd have to be pretty dumb to not realize that Trek is fantasy.

But this is a game... It's entertainment. Not something that emulates real life, and it should'n try to either.

And STO is not exactly a RP freindly enviroment either.

You can always make believe that you marry that "hot" digital pixel.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Exactly a game is Entertainment... But it is not just entertainment in ones point of view. Some of us like the corniness of that system. Just like Some like PVP, Some like the KDF side over the Fed side, some like Fed over KDF, etc. I know alot of my Military based friends who play this game, hate wars yet are the First to jump into PVP. Regardless there are real life that always gets into games depending on your perspective and what you consider to be to much real life, or to what you consider fun and entertainment. We all have different views on things. Just like Some play the Exchange like they play the markets out in real life. It's all about how you like your imersion into a game to be. The more a player sinks himself into a game, the more fun they have. Everyone is different.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Two Rename tokens (same last name)
    both stop wearing "tight" trousers or other flash outfits and start dressing normally

one of you stands down from active play and raises the kids

Simple
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Get a bunch of players, you and your other half go to Risa, rp a ceremony on the beach with someone officiating, wear some wedding type clothes, badda boom badda bing, you're married. Then rp the two of you together on missions and such, just saying you are both assigned to different ships, but always play on the same team. Visit each other's bridges. Note it in your bios you two are married.

No development time needed, and you can be married in game.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    You don't see it much nowadays but I've lost track of the number of RP wedding ceremonies I've accidentally walked into whilst visiting quark's dabo table in the past.
    Also caught snippets of the fall out that comes afterwards... :D
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I like the idea of marriage in an MMO but failing that it might not be added in... Jewelry would be pretty cool, rings, bracelets necklaces... its an idea, atleast then your character if you've decided to marry has a wedding band.

Rachel x
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    RachelJ88 wrote:
    I like the idea of marriage in an MMO but failing that it might not be added in... Jewelry would be pretty cool, rings, bracelets necklaces... its an idea, atleast then your character if you've decided to marry has a wedding band.

Rachel x

With it being a PWE Game now, its only time :) It's been a successful Zen push in many of there games, so would make sense to bring it here. Besides, Again, relationships happen, there is more to star trek then just fighting other races. We have seen in shows character stories wrap around each other in the past and a light shining threw the dark cloud of war keeps everyones morals raised.
  • Options
    edited June 2012

this maybe a fantasy mmo but its not real life fantasy, its sci-fi fantasy and trek is mostly about starships and their captains, not marriage. it doesnt matter if you think its good, but bringing 2nd life to trek is a bad idea.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Xautos wrote:
    this maybe a fantasy mmo but its not real life fantasy, its sci-fi fantasy and trek is mostly about starships and their captains, not marriage. it doesnt matter if you think its good, but bringing 2nd life to trek is a bad idea.

Ignoring the merit or lack thereof in the OP, Second Life is just one of the more recent games to include this "feature". It pervaded MUD's in the 1990's, so there's a fairly solid argument for adding it to MMOS since many of us see EQ/AO/WoW/LoTR:O/ST:O/etc as merely the logical graphical extension of the text MUDs, MOOs and MUSHes we played 15 years ago.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I'm definately not keen to see marriages in STO. If I wanted to get married in a game I would join one of these other games.

Imagine if your son or daughter were to join (for those of us old enough to have teenaged children). Would you really like to think about these kids 'marrying' some old person whom they don't know in real life? It brings about the ability to take advantage of younger players (not the newbies but the actual children in the game. I know people in the game whose ages go as low as eleven years old.

Believe me, I would NOT wish to think that my eleven year old son or daughter had a forty year old huisband or wife. Even in adulthood the emotions that you may feel for your online relationship can feel so real that you may even think of it as a geniune relationship which it is most definately NOT.

The above post brings up the game Second Life where marriage in-game is mostly about conjugal desires. well I've played that game and the things that I hear about these relationships are enough to put one off having relationships at all (which only lasts on avarage of three months and almost always ends up with someone getting hurt emotionally).

If PWE has brought this out in their other games as a way to make more money then I pray that they don't do it here? This is about living the life of a starfleet officer, not living a life of a family.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Xautos wrote:

So Worf's marriage isn't canon? Just because it didn't survive the transition from Jadzia to Ezri doesn't mean it didn't happen.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I'm definately not keen to see marriages in STO. If I wanted to get married in a game I would join one of these other games.

Imagine if your son or daughter were to join (for those of us old enough to have teenaged children). Would you really like to think about these kids 'marrying' some old person whom they don't know in real life? It brings about the ability to take advantage of younger players (not the newbies but the actual children in the game. I know people in the game whose ages go as low as eleven years old.

Believe me, I would NOT wish to think that my eleven year old son or daughter had a forty year old huisband or wife. Even in adulthood the emotions that you may feel for your online relationship can feel so real that you may even think of it as a geniune relationship which it is most definately NOT.

The above post brings up the game Second Life where marriage in-game is mostly about conjugal desires. well I've played that game and the things that I hear about these relationships are enough to put one off having relationships at all (which only lasts on avarage of three months and almost always ends up with someone getting hurt emotionally).

If PWE has brought this out in their other games as a way to make more money then I pray that they don't do it here? This is about living the life of a starfleet officer, not living a life of a family.

A lack of in game marriages (or a lack of support thereof) isn't going to prevent or inhibit attachments forming between individuals online. Nor is the availablity likely to make the risks significantly higher.

Again, there is precident for character marrages in canon, so it is hard to argue what 'this is about.'

Edit: jean-Luc and Beverly were married in a future timeline as well.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    twg042370 wrote:
    Even in its most navel gazing period DS9 had comedy episodes. The game needs more crack like Abraham Lincoln in space.

Yes please. :D
    twg042370 wrote:
    Marriage? That's what Second Life is for.

Second Life is for people with no life.
    kimmera wrote:
    So Worf's marriage isn't canon? Just because it didn't survive the transition from Jadzia to Ezri doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Uh.... that has nothing to do with this game. :confused:
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Uh.... that has nothing to do with this game. :confused:

Oh... . sorry, I thought this was STAR TREK online, not 'some non-trek marriage free universe' online.

My apologies.

Funny how canon is sacrosanct when people are arguing against something like carriers, but when it is something they think shouldn't be in game, suddenly canon is irrelevant.

Worf and Jadzia continued to serve, and under the same command yet while married. Given that, how can it be argued that the concept of married characters having separate commands is unreasonable?

And as for other suggestions regarding marriage being about babies or about one parent not working, this is 2012, not 1950. Besides, Worf also had a son, albeit with no marriage involved.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    kimmera wrote:
    A lack of in game marriages (or a lack of support thereof) isn't going to prevent or inhibit attachments forming between individuals online. Nor is the availablity likely to make the risks significantly higher.

Again, there is precident for character marrages in canon, so it is hard to argue what 'this is about.'

Edit: jean-Luc and Beverly were married in a future timeline as well.

I never said it's not canon, the game isn't canon and shouldn't be or how could the Star Trek universe evolve. I'm not one of the people who think everything should be done according to the scripture. The world of Trek would quickly become stagnent and boring.

What I pointed out was, how would you feel if you pre-teen offspring were being chatted up by an individual whom they thought of as a spouse? Or indeed if your real life spouse was being chatted up by an individual whom they were married to in-game if they chose to partner up with someone who wasn't you? and this WOULD happen. Or even if you were being chatted up by some individual that was only interested in the way your avatar appeared to them?

I'm not against developing close personal friendships that start off in a game. I'm against bringing married life into the game itself. There is, in my opinion, no point to getting married in STO. in here, I'm a starfleet officer first and a person...well never. I'm a cartoon. what you see on your screens is not a person. there may be a person behind the scenes but that person is not my character. What you see is the person that I chose to be for the purposes of this game.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    And then what?

Same sex marriages ?
    Inter species marriages?
    Computer generated pregnancy?

I can see the point of marrying an NPC but beyond that bad idea
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I never said it's not canon, the game isn't canon and shouldn't be or how could the Star Trek universe evolve. I'm not one of the people who think everything should be done according to the scripture. The world of Trek would quickly become stagnent and boring.

What I pointed out was, how would you feel if you pre-teen offspring were being chatted up by an individual whom they thought of as a spouse? Or indeed if your real life spouse was being chatted up by an individual whom they were married to in-game if they chose to partner up with someone who wasn't you? and this WOULD happen. Or even if you were being chatted up by some individual that was only interested in the way your avatar appeared to them?

I'm not against developing close personal friendships that start off in a game. I'm against bringing married life into the game itself. There is, in my opinion, no point to getting married in STO. in here, I'm a starfleet officer first and a person...well never. I'm a cartoon. what you see on your screens is not a person. there may be a person behind the scenes but that person is not my character. What you see is the person that I chose to be for the purposes of this game.

They can already cyber or discuss much less wholesome things than marriage. If your pre-tean offspring isn't taught well this isn't likely to increase their risk significantly.

Why do you figure that a lack of in game marriage would result in any less chatting up?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    sollvax wrote:
    And then what?

Same sex marriages ?
    Inter species marriages?
    Computer generated pregnancy?

I can see the point of marrying an NPC but beyond that bad idea

Oh yes, because marriage leads to all sorts of bad things.... name ANY game with in game marriages that has calls for in game pregnancy?

And interspecies marriage is an issue for you? Seriously? In canon, a Klingon married a Trill. Does that really freak you you?

Don't those concerns apply in RL too? Should we abolish all RL marriage lest some want to marry an alien? Or lest same gender couples wish to marry?

Starting to really doubt you are being serious here....
  • Options
    edited June 2012

And this is where BEING A PARENT comes into play. You as a PARENT should be INVOLVED in what your CHILDREN do. It is NOT the Developers DUTY to have to make its GAME based around your LACK of SUPERVISION. If you know people who have there Eleven year old playing a game that has Violence, Alcohol, Adult Themes, etc. Then You ALLOWED the child to play and to continue playing. The same can be to say about the Factor of parents Buying Rated M Games for there kids. It is the PARENTS responsibility to monitor what there Children do and what they watch and play. Just as I do with my child. Just Because A few people have issues or a few people go the wrong way with something does not mean it has to be closed off from them all. The same goes with music, the way your child dresses, or what they watch on TV. It is the Parents Responsibility. NOT the Game Developers.

There have been Relationships formed between officers in Star Trek threw out Every Series. There have been relationships formed threw out the majority of Space Based or Even NON space based Series. People like to become immersed in what they play, opening move avenues of immersion outside of the hey lets go blow stuff up basis, that pretty much all this game is so far. Is good for business. There are Role players out there, there are players out there that look to have fun in more then just Grind an STF way. Just because Your character is NOT that way, Does not mean OTHERS are exactly the same as you.

Parents Censor what there kids See, It is not the responsibility of the media, or Gaming media to do so.

Sincerely,
    A Parent that is Tired of the other parents that rely on everyone else (teachers, media, celebrities) to raise there children instead of themself.

P.S. Sorry for going off, But I am tired of people bringing "kids" into this. If you Truly were worried about your kids you would NOT be having them on a game with the knowledge of what the "Orion" race is.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Oh yes, because marriage leads to all sorts of bad things.... name ANY game with in game marriages that has calls for in game pregnancy?

Several varients of the sims for a start
    lots of the trashier games have in game sexual activity and thus the risk of in game pregnancy

And interspecies marriage is an issue for you?

yes of course it is
    Seriously? In canon, a Klingon married a Trill. Does that really freak you you?

gee yes it does
    A woman hosting a symbiotic Slug married a man from a totally different and incompatable species
    AFTER that same person had relationships with several other species
    Does no one in Trek marry their own species??

look at voyager
    Hybrids as far as the eye can see in trek (many of them genetically questionable)

Don't those concerns apply in RL too? Should we abolish all RL marriage lest some want to marry an alien?
    anyone trys to marry a non human here on earth winds up in jail or the papers

Look maybe to you its perfectly natural but to me Cats and Dogs should not be getting married.

Or lest same gender couples wish to marry?
    Illegal in almost ALL countries globally to this day and with damn good reason as well

The three major mono faiths absolutely condemn same sex marrage
    the two largest poly faiths condemn it as well

There is no major faith on earth that believes in it .

Basically Everyones gods say not to do it.

Starting to really doubt you are being serious here....
    Interspecies marriages just strike me as wrong
    Same goes for Elves and humans or wookies and Ewoks
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    sollvax wrote:
    Several varients of the sims for a start
    lots of the trashier games have in game sexual activity and thus the risk of in game pregnancy

yes of course it is

gee yes it does
    A woman hosting a symbiotic Slug married a man from a totally different and incompatable species
    AFTER that same person had relationships with several other species
    Does no one in Trek marry their own species??

look at voyager
    Hybrids as far as the eye can see in trek (many of them genetically questionable)

anyone trys to marry a non human here on earth winds up in jail or the papers

Look maybe to you its perfectly natural but to me Cats and Dogs should not be getting married.

Illegal in almost ALL countries globally to this day and with damn good reason as well

The three major mono faiths absolutely condemn same sex marrage
    the two largest poly faiths condemn it as well

There is no major faith on earth that believes in it .

Basically Everyones gods say not to do it.

Interspecies marriages just strike me as wrong
    Same goes for Elves and humans or wookies and Ewoks

Not even going to go into Religion.... please don't make me go there....

As for illegal in major countries... I will go there...

4.1 Legal recognition
    4.1.1 Argentina
    4.1.2 Belgium
    4.1.3 Brazil
    4.1.4 Canada
    4.1.5 Iceland
    4.1.6 Israel
    4.1.7 Mexico
    4.1.8 The Netherlands
    4.1.9 Norway
    4.1.10 Portugal
    4.1.11 South Africa
    4.1.12 Spain
    4.1.13 Sweden
    4.1.14 United States (actually in the process of turning DOMA over as we speak)

4.2 Subject debated
    4.2.1 Australia
    4.2.2 China
    4.2.3 Colombia
    4.2.4 Denmark
    4.2.5 Finland
    4.2.6 France
    4.2.7 Germany
    4.2.8 Luxembourg
    4.2.9 Nepal
    4.2.10 New Zealand
    4.2.11 Nigeria
    4.2.12 United Kingdom

Now Onto Interspecies...
    I will just go into ONE Very well Known Interspecies character in Star Trek - Spock? Everyones Loved Vulcan...If your so against, why are you on a game, or a show that PROMOTES it.

This is based in the future sir. A future where many species have learned to rise above the differences in people. Lets not look how far in the past it was a no-no to have a Black and a White in a relationship. Lets not forgot it wasn't that long ago that Racism was very strong in the world. Are you to bring this back also?

I will not continue further on, I do not need this thread to go way the hell off topic and get closed down by BranFlakes. But you sir play in a game that has rose above hatred and intolerance for the majority. Lets not be a Closed mind person in an open minded Game.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    And I know exactly where this thread is going to go so I'm going to close it now.

Sorry folks :(
This discussion has been closed.