test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

UPDATE Maintainance Schedule posting. GET IT ACCURATE WILL YA CRYPTIC!

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
Just a quicky as cryptic seem to have the wonderful idea that the world time doesnt alter much outside the west cost of the USA apparantly.

they currently utilise PST and UTC for notifications of their maintainence shedule (wich is a good idea for the most part.) however they do not alter their clocks when the majority of the world goes into the summer months. As of the 25th of March (Over a month a go fellas so the team could have looked this up by now) the UK switches from GMT/UTC to BST/UTC+1 until the 28th of OCTOBER.. and most of EU to UTC +2 etc

i think it very nieve to notify players that the server will be down for say 2 hours between those times and yet the clock is inaccurate for their schedule... wich is very ironic as the in game clock is very accurate and i am assuming is displaying local client time.. with that in mind i wanna ask cryptic if they would please update their maintainence post to a more accurate post please as when the maintainence is over you often find alot of gamers going WTF when they are back at the time the servers are "supposed" to be up and running only to find they have to wait a further hour due to poor posting of times on the part of the cryptic team..

a simple fix that will take next to no time to implement will solve alot of confusion for players in the future keep it base line of course based on UTC and GMT but account for the change during this period.

so currently for those of you in the UK and Europe the servers will be back on line at 10AM UTC+1 / BST not 9am UTC/GMT like cryptic are posting.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Just a quicky as cryptic seem to have the wonderful idea that the world time doesnt alter much outside the west cost of the USA apparantly.

they currently utilise PST and UTC for notifications of their maintainence shedule (wich is a good idea for the most part.) however they do not alter their clocks when the majority of the world goes into the summer months. As of the 25th of March (Over a month a go fellas so the team could have looked this up by now) the UK switches from GMT/UTC to BST/UTC+1 until the 28th of OCTOBER.. and most of EU to UTC +2 etc

i think it very nieve to notify players that the server will be down for say 2 hours between those times and yet the clock is inaccurate for their schedule... wich is very ironic as the in game clock is very accurate and i am assuming is displaying local client time.. with that in mind i wanna ask cryptic if they would please update their maintainence post to a more accurate post please as when the maintainence is over you often find alot of gamers going WTF when they are back at the time the servers are "supposed" to be up and running only to find they have to wait a further hour due to poor posting of times on the part of the cryptic team..

a simple fix that will take next to no time to implement will solve alot of confusion for players in the future keep it base line of course based on UTC and GMT but account for the change during this period.

so currently for those of you in the UK and Europe the servers will be back on line at 10AM UTC+1 / BST not 9am UTC/GMT like cryptic are posting.
    Though I hate to complain, considering that they had a big 'Euro-focus' event recently one would have hoped that they would be more accomodating toward players in the UK/EU.
    edited April 2012
    You live in Europe, and don't know that UTC does not change for "summer time"? UTC != GMT. UTC never changes, it is regional time that changes with respect to UTC.

The Cryptic announcement is correct, the outage is 07:00-09:00 UTC.

And I thought American schools were bad... ;)
    edited April 2012
    How about a timer

Server down in (display clock) minutes
    Server UP in (Display clock) minutes
    edited April 2012
    I'm thinking they should make the time shown by the time settings of your forum profile. It might alleviate some of the confusion.
    edited April 2012
    That is a local +time calculation you need to account for in your region.UTC never changes. Local time where I live in Australia is UTC+10.

This link might help
    http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_UTC.aspx
    edited April 2012
    Timezones... you gotta love them...
    edited April 2012
    I'd recommend using this tool. It is very useful.
    edited April 2012
    ok the maintainence post is the point. all they need to do is point. i mean already i have had fleet members and regular plays contact me today and i have had to tell em to re check the time as the servers are still down (dispite maintainance being completed aparently)..

its a problem that they simply can correct with a calculation tool before they post the alert (especially since that post is done manually by an actual person) at present its simple lazyness on the part of the poster of the alert i.e they glance at a clock in the office and post..

if you wanna keep your players (especially the gold members who are paying for their time on the game).. accurate communications from the source about down time is a MUST an ultimately the responsibility of the admin posting that information...ppl can obviously calculate it them selves but not every person on the planet would think to do that..

in short by one simple correction, threads like this and others need not show up in the future on the forum.. its simple COMMON SENSE something of late i am seeing from admin posters here and in the game of late.

oh and Krieger... WISE UP PLEASE UTC/GMT does change every year for six months so go do some reading up on it before you spout off about education systems, because right now UTC/GMT would be very accurate (if you happened to be an hour out at sea in the Alantic ocean from the west coast of the UK) and i dont think there are many sealife creatures playing STO! do you?
    edited April 2012
    mindwipecjg, try my link. That site does account for all Daylight Savings adjustments.

Oh and by the way, Krieger is correct.
    edited April 2012
    Thanks Matri. :)
    I work for a global corporation, and have had to become well aware of how regional timezones and UTC operate and interrelate.

UTC does not change for summer or any other reason.

"In the United Kingdom, GMT is the official time only during winter" - hence my statement UTC != GMT.
    Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwich_Mean_Time
    edited April 2012
    sollvax wrote:
    How about a timer

There ya go using logic and simple solution concepts again.

Not allowed here ya know.
    edited April 2012
    Thanks for the feedback, but I just checked the times of the maintenance and the UTC times were correct. During BST, UTC (and GMT) are +7 to PDT.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    edited April 2012
    Yup, utc never changes.
    edited April 2012
    sollvax wrote:
    How about a timer

Bringing common sense and reason into this forum...HOW DARE YOU SIR! :mad: