test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Heretic: Renown DOFF's Need Locking Down

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Hey Heretic.

You know those doff crushers? The 4 on SFA that let you "Re-assign" doff's to get one that's a rank higher?

They automatically lock out any of the DOFF's you buy from Lt Ferra but none of the DOFF's from Renown missions.

Considering that you get one and only chance at earning these doffs can you please look into locking them out of the list the same way the store doffs are?

Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    I have lots of extra purple doffs that I picked up through the support assignments. makes the blue ones kinda obsolete. I'd like to be able to trade both colours in, especially the purple ones. So no don't change it, just keep better track of your crew :)

*okay maybe a little icon or something to indicate a unique one shot doff like the blue renowns or other chain doffs like Gul what's his face. But what we do with them should be ours to decide :cool:
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I would be interested in hearing people's opinions about this, in fact.

On the one hand, I dislike preventing people from options if it isn't potentially exploitive, but on the other, I understand the issues of accidently recycling a duty officer that is non-recoverable.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I don't think the blues should be tradeable as you then cannot recover them as you said.

However, I do think it would be pretty sweet if we had a way to recycle purples we don't want/like. Right now I dump mine in the officer exchanges for cardassians/etc. Perhaps a way to trade a purple and some dilithium for a new random pack would be a good idea?
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Heretic wrote:

On the one hand, I dislike preventing people from options if it isn't potentially exploitive, but on the other, I understand the issues of accidently recycling a duty officer that is non-recoverable.
    Locking out the Renown Doffs would probably be a good idea. A further note, I think we should be able to crush Purples as well. Say 2 or 3 Purples (including the use of Support Efforts purples) for a random purple.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Heretic wrote:

I think we should be able to turn in spare Support DOFF's for random non-unique purples, but that might fall under the exploitation category.

I think the Renown DOFF's should probably be bound, since unlike Support DOFF's you can't get another one. Sometimes the UI assigns a DO I click on without clicking the assignment button, so it's very easy to slot in a Recommended officer you didn't intend to.

Or else tweak the recommended officer bit so it doesn't automatically recommend a Renown DOFF, but that's bad in a different way.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Heretic wrote:

The way I see it there are two maybe 3 options.

Option 1: Lock the Renown Doffs so you cannot spend them.
    Option 2: Make Renown missions repeatable. If you spend the doff then you can redo the mission to get it again.
    Option 3: Put some easily recognizable marker on each of those doffs so don't accidentally spend them but can if you really want too.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I like being able to recycle the renown blues - I've done so on purpose to most of mine - but it would be nice if the ui better communicated whether or not a doff was bound when sending them on assignments that would kill them.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Heretic wrote:

I don't see how the Renown mission Doff is any different from any other Blue Doff that you get from various methods. Even though you can't get THAT doff, you can get equivilents. If you dislike it enough to crunch it for the chance at a purple, that's your call. If its your baby and you don't want to take that chance, don't put it in the hopper.

Or assign it to your crew, make it bound, then you can use it anymore.

I've done so on purpose to most of mine - but it would be nice if the ui better communicated whether or not a doff was bound when sending them on assignments that would kill them.

Seeing the bound lock at assignment time would be handy... I was specifically looking to do an Exchange of a Bound green the other day since I couldn't crunch him. Back to the list..... ok.. that one... plan the mission... try to find that guy.... hmmm... was it this one or that one? Etc.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Heretic wrote:

I don't know that I would want them locked out, But I really would like some way to know that that particular officer I will never be able to get again (fairly easy for the Rolor and Delta Volanis, as there aren't any other Breen or Deferi Blues, but not for many of the others).
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    How about flipping the picture of special reward DOFFs so instead of facing right they face left.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Please don't. That would drive me and my mild OCD crazy(er).
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    krenlik wrote: »
    I don't see how the Renown mission Doff is any different from any other Blue Doff that you get from various methods. Even though you can't get THAT doff, you can get equivilents. If you dislike it enough to crunch it for the chance at a purple, that's your call. If its your baby and you don't want to take that chance, don't put it in the hopper.

It is different because you can only have one, ever, and if you lose it you can not get another.

Heretic, I think they should be bound.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I think it might be helpful if the unique purple Renown ones where bound and unable to munched. I think I would kick myself so hard if I ever put one of those into the compactor missions. :D
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    It is different because you can only have one, ever, and if you lose it you can not get another.

Heretic, I think they should be bound.

So? Like there aren't similar guys you can get? It's a duty offficer. Ensign Ricky. If they're that special to you, then you won't accidently try to crunch him or exchange him for someone else. I know that I avoid crunching reknown doffs. It's the same difference.

I know when I start filling up my ranks with purples, an the blues rarely get used any more, I'd like the ability to fire his butt for someone better. Or if I have a shiplaod of purples, but need to start looking for a PARTICULAR job, being able to use even purples to exchange for a chance at the purple you lack would be good.

If they can have an optional-lock/unlock thing, that's one thing... I'm already annoyed that I can't crunch officers that I had on active duty just to "try out" their ability, or when I got a replacement. Removing freedom to protect someone from being careless is always a bad move.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    My thoughts.

Is it possible to put a lock on a doff, so that you can specify if you want to munch it or not. Sort of like in LoTRO, where you can set some items to locked so you can merch all but the locked items.

Cos I'm darn sure I've munched a couple of the Renowns.. :(

Failing that, either

1, Don't make them munchable,
    or
    2, If you do munch them, Renown should be available again to re-acquire them.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Heretic wrote:

Please don't punish others because people are too oblivious to watch what they are doing.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I don't think you should prevent us from converting them. BUT I think you need to find a way to easily recognize Doffs which you can only gain once. An issue that already came up several times.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I think a better solution would be to throw an indicator of doff origin in there somewhere for doffs that you get from the Academy vendor, Colonial missions, or exclusive ones (like ones from F2P beta, special events like the event Exocomp or Friday the 13th clone dude, or from the DS9 bundle).

It could be unique per type, but I'd settle for just some visual key that states This Doff Is Not Like the Others.

Or, maybe for Renown doffs, the icon can be a middle finger, since if you get rid of it accidentally they'll never ever come back.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Heretic wrote:
    The preferable solution would be making Renown missions repeatable (on a long cooldown), or a version of them that provides the blue doff on a crit, like the support missions.

Barring that, however, locking the Renown doffs down from being recycled would be better than the way things are at present.
    It's something that's bugged me for a while. I would hate to grind one of them by accident when there's no way to get them back.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I didn;t actually realise these DOFFs were irreplaceable. Hvaing acquired 3 of the purples ones on a particular toon I had presumed the blue ones were equally obtainable.

Now I realise this fact I would be firmly in the bind them camp.

It is all too easy to melt down those blues and pour the mix into the purple mold.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Prays4u wrote: »
    Please don't punish others because people are too oblivious to watch what they are doing.

I would also view this proposed change as extremely negative. There is a limit to the duty officer roster, and no gameplay benefit to retaining a blue officer that you have replaced multiple times over with purples from the support mission., It's hard enough to get rid of the greens from Lt. Ferra when you no longer need them without adding fourteen blue officers (that any player who spends time on the DOFF system will outgrow in a month or two) to the do-not-crunch list.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Strongly opposed to locking them out. I like being able to turn them in. Otherwise I'd have just airlocked them, and that's a lot less interesting.

That they are unique is almost entirely irrelevant. The Support DOff for the same cluster is *identical* in all respects except name and color, and on color is strictly superior. Only completionist collectors would even care.

They do have a marker of their uniqueness - they have a quote. This means they're a 'handcrafted' DOff. You can see the quote if you right-click them, so its easily accessible even from the assignment screen for blending. And all blue DOffs with quotes are either Ferra DOffs (and thus not visible) or impossible to get again if you blend them, so if you see a quote while blending *and you care*, don't use them.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Some of the renown doffs are really lame, such as the breen from the Rolor Nebula. It went to garbage as soon as i could use 4 other blue doffs to turn them into a purple one.

So, please don't, but make the removal of doffs more obvious in the mission list, i lost several good ones (including Gul Tain :() in other missions like that.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Heretic, You're probably still checking in on this thread so I won't bother making a new one, but earlier today, sometime around when I wrote this very post I made a huge blunder thanks to this huge head cold.

I wasn't paying attention and sent Gul Tain off to a Cardassian Officer Exchange mission. I didn't realize my mistake till I logged on hours later and the mission had completed. I havn't accepted the reward yet but I'm freaking out about what to do!

I submitted a ticket (#1,331,989) asking for help but I doubt a GM could cancel a doff mission can they?

Maybe the solution is to make the missions that grant these Doff's repeatable but the Doff's unique blocking you from earning a second?

Oy, I dunno but I'm panicking sheeesh!
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Heh, I just found this thread in a Google search because I realized today that I recycled at least two Rare Renown DOFFs. BrooklynKnight's solution - make the Renown assignments repeatable, the DOFFs Unique but still recyclable - sounds like a good one.

Would filing a ticket help reclaim at all to the ones I've accidentally gotten rid of?
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Heretic wrote:

I'd like to see it be a player-toggleable option.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    How about adding a special doff tab to the doff contact where you could buy back doffs you've earned through renowns, chains, etc. I just stupidly lost Mochaak as I posted in another thread. I'd gladly pay 12k dilithium to get him back.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Prays4u wrote: »
    I agree. I know that several people have said they think that the Renown blues are nearly useless when you have the Support purples.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I'm sorry, but this is just a terrible idea - The renown DOFFs are useless when you get their purple counterparts - you will, quite literally, never slot them.

The only people this would benefit are the completionists who want one of every unique officer, and if you're that sort of player it's really on your own head not to lose said officer. Every other player would suffer for this change.

I mean really, what's the next step? Making renown DOFFS un-dismissable because someone might accidentally delete them?

Provide a way to recover them? sure, why not. (although it would have to be for a steep price to circumvent becoming a grinder exploit)
    Provide a way of 'tagging' important ones? absolutely
    But locking all players out over what must surely be a minority concern? please no
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I'd like an option to "lock" DOFFs myself. Just a checkbox in the DOFF Dossier, "can be traded/munched yes/no". Like a "Bound" flag I can set and remove myself.

This way I can lock down whatever DOFFs I don't want to accidentaly lose for whatever reason.