test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Another lockbox, are you kidding me???

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User

General
•Re-added Kurland's voice over for KDF characters to the end of "Boldly They Rode."
•Borg Cubes should no longer pitch and yaw while in combat.
•General server stability improvements.
•Ships will once again bank correctly when turning while in combat.
•A Ferengi Lock Box has started dropping as loot!
◦For more information, please see this Blog: http://www.startrekonline.com/node/3065
•There is a new specialty store associated with the Ferengi Lock Box.
◦See the FAQ tomorrow for more information.

Are you seriously kidding me? How many thousands of posts have there been since these started dropping like flies in the Cardie FE stating WE DON'T WANT ANY MORE!!! Are you listening to us? No... Did we see this coming? Yes. People got really sick of these boxes really quickly.

You ask for our feedback and then ignore it. If you don't want to hear our feedback, and aren't going to listen to it, don't ask us for it...

After getting Tulaberries in a Gold Lockbox (Yes you read that right) in the Cardie missions I stopped bothering. I won't be buying keys for this from the C-Store, The Exchange, or anywhere else, every box I get will be deleted. I am not paying to gamble in this game,

Since you're clearly not going to listen to that feedback anyway, listen to this bit please. Don't spam the heck out of us in chat channel or on our screens saying XYZ has won ABC. Just at least remove that one thing...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    As annoying as they are for those of us that don't play the lock box game, the fact is that there are plenty of nuts who will dump piles of hard earned cash on them and, from that point of view, they have been a huge success to date.

Expect to see loads more.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    We need an option to ignore lock box drops.
    Out of sight, out of mind!
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    you'd think that with all the negative feedback they would have done something different with this one just to try and find a good medium between "makes money" and "happy fans"
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    you'd think that with all the negative feedback they would have done something different with this one just to try and find a good medium between "makes money" and "happy fans"

Adding the currency you get with opening every lock box and then having a new store to buy stuff in *is* different than the previous lock boxes.

(Yes, the winter box had the 'winter junk' you could trade in for scarves and such, but you had to randomly get the right items to trade. The new currency is different from that. Plus, the winter store had only cosmetic items honestly, and some of those were 'palate swaps' IIRC. The new store has a lot of different things.)
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I just don't get the cyclical logic behind this one. You can use the Lobi crystals to buy cool stuff. So why not just put that stuff in the c-store instead of going through this extra step? Are you that desperate for improving your master key sales? Or are you that dumb? Or are you just the greedy dog that saw its reflection in the river with a bone and in trying to snatch its reflections bone it dropped its own?
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Does crypticstudio fired its dev team?
    We have crapy loot in STF.
    We had those such cardassian lockbox. Eventhough I didn't take them it was like a flood making the game boring.
    Now they do it again. They just recalled those such box Ferengi lock box. I think cryptic studio doesn't respect its gold member anymore. God member, anf lifetime member shouldn't see those lock box. It should be only for f2p. After alll. They want play for free. IF they want loot they have to pay. I pay for play game. I don't this.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    This is very bad, if this is how online games are going (A LOT OF ONLINE GAMES ARE TURNING TO THIS METHOD OF MAKING CASH), think it's time to start buying single player games again.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    muftytufty wrote:
    This is very bad, if this is how online games are going (A LOT OF ONLINE GAMES ARE TURNING TO THIS METHOD OF MAKING CASH), think it's time to start buying single player games again.
    Yes its true.
    But we have to adapt if we want to play MMO.
    Its not good, but look at it from another point of view: Instead of paying for time you have to pay for ingame "services". You can pay more or less, or you can play for free. It gives you choise, and choice is always good...

What is really bad in STO is lack of new content, and they are making boxes instead of content because its very easy and gives some instant money...
  • Options
    edited April 2012

The thing is, where is the negative feedback coming from? Is from those who just hate the boxes, or is it also the numpties who are putting loads of cash into the C-Store and no getting what they want?
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Whats worse... they are introducing a set that can only be aquired through lock-box rewards...

The game is not truly a "if you have money, you win".

But hey... At leas cryptic has found a way to put themselves into the game.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Wow Cryptic guess you did not learn a thing from the Cardie lock boxes. This is only going to jack up the dil exchange rate again and **** off a lot of your players. The exchange rate was just starting to go back to a reasonable rate too. Also players don't like the lock boxes in the first place. I'm a max level FED and like I do is play STFs, by adding in the new lock boxes to the drop system you are cutting into the chance of getting epic loot in STF. Now don't get me wrong I understand you have to make money on STO somehow now that is is free to play. So I will give you an idea, make it so the lock boxes don't drop in elite STF's. That would make some of your upper level players happy and still give you a source of income from all the people that will buy into this bad idea. I know you will never take my idea to hart so I give this new lock box a day or less and then it will end up like the Cardie one, where all players will ignore them all together. I will end this by stating that if you don't take the feedback of your players into consideration you will end up losing a good bit of your player population because of a dumb idea.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    funny thing is lock boxes are cool although a little annoying
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Lock boxes are as cool as the pimple on my backside.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    press "esc" "options" "basic" there it is
    "enable gameplay announcement flybys"

they added that after the big complainings during the 1st lock box thing ......

lock boxes :mad:
    grind stfs instead of cool raids (as the stfs were in the past!!!!) :(
    super fast lvling instead of that amazing lvling experience i (ok i liked it) had in the past ....
    we need a new company for STO IMO :D
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    We knew this was coming, they said it was coming. They did listen to the feedback, and they added the option disable the messages. They also listened to the amount of keys sold. The truth is that most people are fine with lockboxes. Only a small minority of the total game population is against them.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    We knew this was coming, they said it was coming. They did listen to the feedback, and they added the option disable the messages. They also listened to the amount of keys sold. The truth is that most people are fine with lockboxes. Only a small minority of the total game population is against them.

Not treally, they added the option to disable it popping up center screen but it still spams the hell out of the chat box...
  • Options
    edited April 2012

Maybe this is the happy medium? It makes Cryptic money, and the forums aren't burning.

:(
    I just don't get the cyclical logic behind this one. You can use the Lobi crystals to buy cool stuff. So why not just put that stuff in the c-store instead of going through this extra step? Are you that desperate for improving your master key sales? Or are you that dumb? Or are you just the greedy dog that saw its reflection in the river with a bone and in trying to snatch its reflections bone it dropped its own?
    It's not desperate if it's working for them.

It may feel wrong, dishonest and exploitive, but it's not desperate if it actually works. And I presume it does, otherwise they wouldn't try another lockbox.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Not treally, they added the option to disable it popping up center screen but it still spams the hell out of the chat box...

Which you can also disable, or move to a separate tab like I do. ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I just did Infected Space and the reward i got in my bag

1 rare item and a box to open which had a Ferengi lock box inside

wow now i was so overjoyed................
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Same sentiment here. Got utterly sick of hitting "PASS" on the 29,687 supposedly UNCOMMON Cardassian crock boxes that dropped during every FA or STF.

Yes, there are hardcore fans that will spend oodles of cash trying to get the ship or whatever other goodies they like. Fine. Make them drop in single player missions.

But for the love of Q, please make these UNCOMMON items actually as rare as other greens. It's such a pain in the rear otherwise. The gold lockboxes (the only kind I ever opened... got 3 altogether) actually have a fitting drop rate - I didn't mind those.

If the drop rate for the standard boxes won't be reduced, give us an auto-pass option for those items - ESPECIALLY if this tactic isn't going away. (I'm guessing it's not going away - each and every time they introduce new boxes, I see posts from people complaining they dropped EUR50 trying to get a ship and complaining they got junk, so it's clearly a profitable approach for Cryptic. There just has to be a way of fleecing the unwary while letting the disinterested players actually get on with playing!).
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean by cyclical logic but I think I can answer the question as to why they are using the lock boxes, and not simply using the C-Store to sell the new cool items.

First off, we can assume that they are not stupid. They have managed to run a corporation with some measure of success for a number of years. Four years. Still, four years longer than most of us. So it is likely they know a thing or two about it.

They may be greedy. I don't personally know them. Making a profit is the purpose of a for profit corporation. One of them anyways. So okay they are out to make a profit. Cash money!

So why the extra step? As lock boxes are not, strictly speaking new to the industry, and in fact are not new at all it surely follows that there must be some sort of compelling reason to use them. So what could that be?

That reason would be gambling. If the currency that is available from the lock boxes is doled out in reasonable amounts no one will be particularly upset or feel cheated by the boxes. Perhaps just put out a bit by needing to collect a box and grab a key. But wait! When I opened the boxes I needed to get my currency I got [some cool toy] !! And there's the hook. There's the chance to convert a consumer from the path of planned purchases to the path of gambling.

In the planned purchase model, the consumer uses a set amount of resources to acquire a set item, triggering a reward response.. In the gambling purchase model the consumer uses an indeterminate amount of resources to acquire some random item, but again triggering a reward response. And they can do that over and over. And they actually would need to. If you want the reward of "Oh look what I got!" well you need to gamble on the boxes.

Not EVERYONE will become a problem gambler from this system and I am NOT saying that is the unavoidable outcome. Some people will though. Some people already were and this is just another opportunity. Most people will fall in the middle somewhere, as most people do, and will spend just a bit extra each go round to the delight of the CFO of PWE.

I hoped that helped. I suppose the simple answer was "They will make more money this way", but I hope this shows how they will do that.

EDIT: There's a bit I put in there that may be a bit unclear. I stated that in the gambling model the amount of resources (let's just say money) was indeterminate. By that I mean that although we know the lower limit, that being the price of one key in this case, we cannot know the upper limit as that is seemingly up to the individual. How much will they spend? And how often do they need a prize to keep the reward feeling going?

Fortunately science has provided an answer! Well science and a bunch of cold hard cash spent on behavioral studies. If you'd like the answer just rush out and purchase one of every instant ticket (Scratchies!) available in your area. If you are in the U.S. each ticket will have the average odds of winning a prize by scratching any single ticket at the start of each games run. Each of the games will have odds of about one in four. Generally no greater than one in three point seven and no less than one in four point four.

These guys aren't guessing here. They have solid scientific studies with millions of iterations to back them up.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Thissler wrote:
    If the currency that is available from the lock boxes is doled out in reasonable amounts no one will be particularly upset or feel cheated by the boxes.

Pretty big "if" there. For now, have fun opening hundreds of boxes at the current drop rate of 1-3 per box.

And after you've spent $250 opening boxes and collecting crystals, you get to buy one piece of the set item. Want the other two? Fork up.

*sighs* It's sad to see Cryptic go full Ferengi.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Matri wrote: »

*sighs* It's sad to see Cryptic go full Ferengi.

I second that!
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Are you seriously kidding me? How many thousands of posts have there been since these started dropping like flies in the Cardie FE stating WE DON'T WANT ANY MORE!!! Are you listening to us? No... Did we see this coming? Yes. People got really sick of these boxes really quickly.
    I didn't employ you as my attorney. Speak for yourself, O.K.?
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    well i dont like the lockbox idea...

eerytime i see such boxes it remindsmei would need real money to open it.. that makes me wake up " ohh this isnt real star tre .. its a game.. " its kinda interrupts me from drfiting into teh star trek universe...

im not that type who dotn pays for teh game ... i already spend like 70 $ from f2p launch to now...

btu teh lockboxes kinda destroy the gameplay feeling

just sayin...
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I didn't employ you as my attorney. Speak for yourself, O.K.?

I do not recall mentioning your name...
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I do not recall mentioning your name...

When you say "WE" or "US" or "OUR" you imply that you are talking for this community. If you want the boxes gone, that is fine, that is your prerogative. But you should use works like "I", "ME", and "MY".
  • Options
    edited April 2012

It's just designed as a C-point dump to generate tons of cash. And yes, it's about as greedy as you can get. to the point of compromising the integrity of the game. I generally don't have a problem w/ Cash shops, but this gambling overpriced key/box nonsense is plain shameful. The extremely disgusting part is how they are using exclusive ships on ridiculously low drop rates as bait for it. Just sell them in the damn C-store, and don't give me no BS marketing TRIBBLE about CBS only approving them on a rarity basis, cause we both know it's a bunch of nonsense made up by the marketing team.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    every time I see lock box I think of the snl gore/bush debates

http://www.hulu.com/watch/284761/saturday-night-live-gore--bush-first-debate