What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ship Interiors, when the upgrades come?

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    In every over-dramatization, there is a shard of truth.

There is a shard of truth in many lies as well, but that doesnt justify lying. So I'm not really sure what point your trying to make, unless your saying as long as any statement has "a shard of truth" it shouldnt be questioned.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    There is a shard of truth in many lies as well, but that doesnt justify lying. So I'm not really sure what point your trying to make, unless your saying as long as any statement has "a shard of truth" it shouldnt be questioned.

He's not lying. To claim that his comment is a lie is an extreme over-dramatization. The "outrage" seems like showmanship. "Flim-flam" if you will, to quote Picard. I agree it is not 100% applicable, but to jump to point fingers seems like "ye protesteth too much."
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    He's not lying.

I didnt say he was. I was responding to your "shard of truth" argument and why a "shard of truth" doesnt mean a statement as a whole is remotely accurate.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I didnt say he was. I was responding to your "shard of truth" comment with the fact that many lies have a "shard of truth" in them, yet simply having that "shard of truth" doesnt negate the lie. So a "shard of truth" doesnt mean the statement as a whole is remotely accurate.

Ah indeed. Then i agree with your assertion. But i disagree with taking offense to his original comment. Honestly, why should it bother those to whom it doesn't apply?
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Ah indeed. Then i agree with your assertion. But i disagree with taking offense to his original comment. Honestly, why should it bother those to whom it doesn't apply?

I never said I was offended, I simply requested that he not generalize people the way he was doing. A simple request is not a common manifestation of "offense" by most people, so I'm not sure what logic you are using in assuming I am "offended".
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I never said I was offended, I simply requested that he not generalize people the way he was doing. A simple request is not a common manifestation of "offense" by most people, so I'm not sure what logic you are using in assuming I am "offended".

By concerning yourself with how he phrased his statement.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    By concerning yourself with how he phrased his statement.

Believe it or not, many people who post on the internet question the way other people say things even though they are not "offended" by them. By your very own logic, that would mean you are "offended" by my last few posts.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Believe it or not, many who post on the internet question the way other people say things even though they are not "offended" by them. By your very own logic, that would mean you are "offended" by my last few posts.

that's a...um...fair...point.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    One thing I learned while lurking these forums wasn't to cross swords with Nagus, he tends to use the steamroller that is called stoic logic to end his problems.

Well it seems stoic to me...I could be wrong.

Nagus change your avatar to a Vulcan please :)
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Nagus change your avatar to a Vulcan please :)

Then the name wouldn't make sense.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    your link is to a fourm about admirials?

Gah! I fixed it.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Laws of physics... like that's an excuse. :p

Right. To anyone who says that STO doesn't make you feel like you're a Starfleet Captain, just visit the forums:

You can spend all day staring at a screen and debating minutiae, while giving engineers impossible deadlines for difficult tasks.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Kirkfat wrote: »
    You've just revived a very old debate, where Dstahl called me a troll for posting this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40d-SpClc5Q

That game is now over a decade old, although these sets were made mid-2000s with a ugc tool 8000x more powerful than the Foundry.

:(/10chars
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Much respect to Tumerboy and all the other devs. That kind of sentiment can get lost in a sea of questions, criticism, and occasional bickering, but it's still here. Also,
    Right. To anyone who says that STO doesn't make you feel like you're a Starfleet Captain, just visit the forums:

You can spend all day staring at a screen and debating minutiae, while giving engineers impossible deadlines for difficult tasks.

LOL
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Deleted...
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Nagus, I'm sorry for generalizing. Obviously I do not believe you all think that way, but I have witnessed a fair number of posts recently that seemed to have that perspective. No, it's not every post, but it was a noticeable amount. More than I would consider 'usual.'

I would ask players (yes, in general) to also avoid generalizations.

All devs are Salary employees. I was not, at all trying to fish for props or admiration based on working long hours. I just wanted to ensure that people understand that the devs here (especially on STO) are dedicated, passionate people. They work their butts off because they love this stuff.

Kyuui, I sincerely appreciate your service, but I don't think military service, and a desk job are totally comparable.

Heathen666, i agree with your point. We beat these people up because we feel as that we deserve something for our $15, AND I AGREE THAT WE DO. But i think that we have an ethical obligation to treat these people as human beings and not as faceless drones who don't think for themselves. Do you think Dan reads these forums occasionally? How do you think the other devs feel after working all day, just to come to these forums and see 95% trash talk.

Many, many players over they years have asked me why other devs don't post. Do you know what I hear all the time from other devs? "How can you deal with the forums the way they are? How can you constant wade into that poo-storm. It's a mess, everyone hates us all the time."

Whether fair or not, this is the perception that most devs have of the forums. And as I type this, I KNOW that someone, hell, multiple people, are going to latch onto the above quote as a sign of how the devs hate players, or how we don't care what players think. Don't. Seriously, devs read the forums constantly. Not just me. Not just Geko or Logan. Many devs read the forums, ALL THE TIME. They just don't wan to open their mouths (er. . . fingers?) because of the inevitable torrent of seeming hate that gets directed their way. I know that most of it isn't hate, it's just passion for a game and for an IP that we all love.

But on the internet, your inflection does not come through. Your witty sarcasm comes off as elitist snobbery. And often what may be intended as constructive criticism on one end, ends up looking like hate fueled rage by time it reaches the other. This is why it is VITAL to be polite, respectful, and conscious of how your words are going to come across on the other end. I TRIBBLE it up CONSTANTLY, and I apologize for miscommunications regularly. It's an inevitability. It will happen, but keeping all of that in mind while you post, and remembering that the dev that screwed up whatever you're ****ed off about, is a real, genuine human being on the other end of the tube, is absolutely necessary for your post to come across well, and relay the information you intend to, not the passionate rant we often perceive.

No Dev response, does not equal no Dev interest.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Epic thread for so many reasons. Nagus' logic and Commodore Bob's persistence to name two of them. Nothings perfect but I love this game. Keep the good times coming.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    Nagus, I'm sorry for generalizing. Obviously I do not believe you all think that way, but I have witnessed a fair number of posts recently that seemed to have that perspective. No, it's not every post, but it was a noticeable amount. More than I would consider 'usual.'

I would ask players (yes, in general) to also avoid generalizations.

*Glares at the Officer standing before him*
    You are the poorest excuse for an Officer I have evr seen General Ization!
    Many, many players over they years have asked me why other devs don't post. Do you know what I hear all the time from other devs? "How can you deal with the forums the way they are? How can you constant wade into that poo-storm. It's a mess, everyone hates us all the time."

Whether fair or not, this is the perception that most devs have of the forums. And as I type this, I KNOW that someone, hell, multiple people, are going to latch onto the above quote as a sign of how the devs hate players, or how we don't care what players think

Ok...
    Tell them for me:
    "Loves Loves Loves! Hugs hugs Hugs! Bacon Bacon Bacon!"
    If one of them is of a belief that forbids pork, change to Lambchop.
    If one of them is of a belief that forbids meat, change to Celery.
    Kyuui, I sincerely appreciate your service, but I don't think military service, and a desk job are totally comparable.
    As a former Infantryman, I assure you, you underestimate the number of desk jockies in the Military.
    See the danger of generalizations now? ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2012

I think the only thing comparable would be salary. Aint it fun when you get the same exact check when you don't get a day off for over a month? Other than that... totally not comparable. I for one, would go freakin nuts being stuck in an office building all day. You guys have my respect cryptic, I don't know how you do it every day.
    I have a close friend who is a developer in Bellevue, WA. He is lucky to get 1 day off a week. As soon as he makes 1 deadline, another one is right behind it.
    Keep it up boys and girls.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    IMO the TOS and Belfast interiors are brilliant pieces of work. I purchased both of them, and while it is only cosmetic it is a huge part of my game. I love strolling the corridors, checking my ship and crew over before battle etc..

I have been disappointed in the past; mainly by the 'Intrepid' bridge pack. A ship I adore 'cos she is gorgeous! But the bridge looks nothing like the shows, well apart from the map view, which is an exact match if you look closely.

Here is hoping that we will will see some more great work, either via c-store or in-game location updates. Keep up the excellent work! :)
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    i would like to put the Ship Interiors for the Belfast with one of the other Defiant class bridges
  • Options
    edited February 2012

Whether fair or not, this is the perception that most devs have of the forums. And as I type this, I KNOW that someone, hell, multiple people, are going to latch onto the above quote as a sign of how the devs hate players, or how we don't care what players think. Don't. Seriously, devs read the forums constantly. Not just me. Not just Geko or Logan. Many devs read the forums, ALL THE TIME. They just don't wan to open their mouths (er. . . fingers?) because of the inevitable torrent of seeming hate that gets directed their way. I know that most of it isn't hate, it's just passion for a game and for an IP that we all love.

But on the internet, your inflection does not come through. Your witty sarcasm comes off as elitist snobbery. And often what may be intended as constructive criticism on one end, ends up looking like hate fueled rage by time it reaches the other. This is why it is VITAL to be polite, respectful, and conscious of how your words are going to come across on the other end. I TRIBBLE it up CONSTANTLY, and I apologize for miscommunications regularly. It's an inevitability. It will happen, but keeping all of that in mind while you post, and remembering that the dev that screwed up whatever you're ****ed off about, is a real, genuine human being on the other end of the tube, is absolutely necessary for your post to come across well, and relay the information you intend to, not the passionate rant we often perceive.

Lies! We know you all hate us and are also in fact primarily machines with only morsels of humanity in the form of grey matter attached to advanced processing units.

You have no souls and hate us all and we hate you equally!

Storm the HQ! GAAAAAH!

Wait what?

But seriously, we do hate you. But we also love you. Cryptic and the Forumites have a very Ike and Tina relationship. Sometimes you are Ike (Dilithium Conversion rates, Content Generation Speed, etc) Most of the time we're Ike (Forums et al).

That's how it is. I saw a 100 pound nerd physically attack a 200 lb football player in high school after they'd pushed him around for 5 minutes teasing him and finally ripped his Star Trek book in half and called Data a few words that I can't repeat here.

The nerd won. Then he talked trash about Rick Berman for 40 minutes at lunch...

You can tell the devs this: You can hide from us and be afraid to post or even take what we say as offensive and get angry and get ban-sticky or offended or whatever. Remember, we'd most likely be able to form a nerd strike team that could hack into and seriously damage any competition's servers if you asked us to...we'd probably make a nun cry if you asked us to.

We are your greatest asset.

Unfortunately at the end of the day, on our side of the fence it looks like whoever is pulling the strings is always trying to TRIBBLE with us and also it feels like sometimes we're assumed to be fools with certain PR things and statements some people have made, as if we don't know how to search back logged websites or so on.

We're a minutia based borderline Aspergers community that has cataloging and fact spewing down to an art. If you do something or say something don't expect us to forget it. My personal example being the FEs, a cinematic and ground zone is produced and shown in full video form in Sept then in Oct someone tries to tell us there's been no work done on it? Stuff like that makes us think that there's no respect coming from the uppers and honestly is a spit in the face.

Sorta like at the start when Jack Emmert came out after the announcement of Cryptic making STO and said that you guys got absolutely nothing except the license. He said this on the forums while the background was 4 year old Perpetual Entertainment concept art :P

When we sit here and see the upper management come in an prove that they think we're morons it's hard for us to not bring that back at anyone else from the company that posts on the forums.

TRIBBLE rolls down hill and all that.

Just tell them to treat us with respect and communicate and in the end we'll treat them well. Don't talk to us like we're stupid. Some of us might rant or say stupid things but for the most part this particular community is made up of a great deal of intelligent and passionate people.

Perfect examples are you, CapnLogan and Heretic. You guys occasionally get some TRIBBLE but by and large you're some of the most respected devs I've ever seen on any game forum. You're active, you talk back and earn respect and explain actions you've taken.

That all goes a long way here.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Ok...
    Tell them for me:
    "Loves Loves Loves! Hugs hugs Hugs! Bacon Bacon Bacon!"
    If one of them is of a belief that forbids pork, change to Lambchop.
    If one of them is of a belief that forbids meat, change to Celery.

I don't think they'll like it, but I'll be sure to accost everyone that enters the office tomorrow with an unrequested hug.

BTW, Geko's a veggie, as are a few others.

Also, Kyuui earlier brought up the Penthouse hideout in CO. He says he loves it. Guess what? There were tons of "good enoughs" in there. I had a whole laundry list of other things I wanted to get to. And after my time ran out, Robobobobobo and Stokeman gave me more time. And after that time ran out (a good 6 weeks total, more than we'd been able to spend on any single hideout) we STILL had more we wanted to do. . . but at some point you have to cut that off, and say, "Good enough." and shove it out the door.

I don't know about revamping old bridges, but I do know that a couple new ones are in the works. We're not done with interiors, it's just going to take time (ya ya, I know you've heard that before. . . but it's true)
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    For those who did not understand Tumerboy, here is an easy break down of his post.

Reason for the lack of Dev response at times;
    ... on the internet, your inflection does not come through. Your witty sarcasm comes off as elitist snobbery. And often what may be intended as constructive criticism on one end, ends up looking like hate fueled rage by time it reaches the other.

And this is why some Devs think...
    ..everyone hates us all the time."

Yet, despite that being the view in the Cryptic office by some;
    ... I just wanted to ensure that people understand that the devs here (especially on STO) are dedicated, passionate people. They work their butts off because they love this stuff....

So, round up of the above... despite lots of forum hate being sent at the Devs, THEY STILL LOVE THIS GAME, THEY STILL WORK HARD ON THIS GAME and most of all;
    devs read the forums constantly. Not just me. Not just Geko or Logan. Many devs read the forums, ALL THE TIME.

Despite everything, they still keep an eye on this cesspool of a message board.

And alas, no matter how well, how polite or how much thought they put into posting the following still remains true;
    And as I type this, I KNOW that someone, hell, multiple people, are going to latch onto the above quote as a sign of how the devs hate players, or how we don't care what players think.

It is easy folks, think BEFORE you post, pick your words wisely and NEVER post in anger... and guess what, you will get a response or the help you seek.
  • Options
    edited February 2012

This is why devs deserve more respect; yes we(players) may not get what we want, but this does not mean we need to flame on the devs look back to the when they posted about the Winter Event Red Boxes and the Cardassain lock boxes I have to admit I was very mad at their idea, but I refrained from attacking the devs on the forums.

Now back on topic I would love to see a trophy system for shuttle in the shuttle bay.:cool:
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I think what irritates me most about interiors are two things:

A. Functionality. Geez, I remember (and correct me if I'm wrong), a few weeks before we got ship interiors, Dstahl was still making some kind of promises or genie wishes that acknowledge that we cared most about functionality, not just pretty sets where nothing happens. Then, we discovered that absolutely nothing had been done in that direction, apparently, in spite of a poll done by Cryptic that proved the point.

It's like there is this huge disconnect between what the art team does and whoever does game mechanics. You guys make pretty things like Starfleet Academy. Players rush in, look around, leave, and never return. The sets have no functionality, so beyond a few moments of cool immersion, they end up being kind of pointless, unless the sole goal is to generate revenue through the c-store, which is the only function of the bridges you guys make.

B. Interior design for the Foundry. The sets are mostly unusable or only usable in a very specific kind of mission. We don't get our ship interiors at all. We don't get legos to piece together. We don't get interior updates, period. Instead, we're given sets full of crates and crates to add to them using the foundry. But guess what? The sets are so filled with crates, that there is usually nowhere to put crates or a table or anything else, unless we're using a really poorly designed generic interior with its mile long corridors.

Again, another example of some type of huge disconnect between what the art team does and whoever adds stuff for players to do.

Despite the fact that I get the impression that you guys spend half of the day in pointless meetings, there is no collaboration, except on big projects and the c-store.

It doesn't mean that you don't work hard, are not passionate, and don't care. It's a dysfunctional setup.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I don't know about revamping old bridges, but I do know that a couple new ones are in the works. We're not done with interiors, it's just going to take time (ya ya, I know you've heard that before. . . but it's true)

In place of revamping old bridges, I would love to see some NEW bridges/interiors, that can be purchased for ingame currencies, rather than shoving it all out on the C-Store. Yes, I understand the C-Store is the "Cash shop" for STO F2P. But in most other F2P games, you also have a certain level of FREE content. Smaller, more "canon" sized interiors, even if the designs aren't canon, would be so much more appreciated than the ones we currently have.

As for the rest, I really don't what more can be said than what Powerhelm wrote.

Yes, occasionally I get a little "testy" and might appear rude at times. By and large, that is not my intent. I am a rather peaceful person when i'm not at the computer. I just have a very high love for all things Star Trek. It was my first major interest (started watching TNG at the age of 4), and I've played most of the games involving Star Trek that have been made to date. There are alot of things in STO that I totally love (space combat being pretty close to perfection, if you ask me). And then there are things that really annoy me, and for which I hope will someday get fixed/improved upon.

I have great respect for anyone who creates, that which I can not. I have even greater respect, for people such as yourself, who walk into a place filled with occasional hate and anger (STO forums), and still be willing to communicate with the community. To me, that is the mark of a great developer. If you intend to be a part of the community, that involves actually communicating with the community as well. Something which most developers tend to avoid, for exactly the reasons you listed above. I think more people would have more respect for the STO developers, if more developers would actually pay a visit to the forums, communicate upcoming content/changes, clarifying why x decisions were made etc. Leaving a community in the dark, fosters suspicion and anger. And we have had enough of that.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    if all you ever do is scream in someone's face about how wrong something is, they're going to stop listening to you sooner rather than later. Or in the case of an employee. . .

I guess I haven't screamed loud enough yet :)
  • Options
    edited February 2012

When I read this, I can't help but say to myself, "Wow, there is a general philosophy here that relates to 'good enough'."

This game's history: A series of constant new pushes towards new things, running against a deadline, and then arriving late... followed by a complete abandonment of those projects, with no attempts to essentially finish them, eliminate bugs, ensure stuff is working as intended, etc., before moving onto something new.

Nearly every part of this game is like this, from dualing on Andoria to crafting to the foundry to diplomacy to Leeta and dabo.

No one has the time to even go back into Andoria and simply delete the popups. More significant features just get left half-baked. Are they "good enough" that they pretty much work as intended? It's a mixed bag.

Bottom line: Flying around this game is like touring a college campus. You see the bauhaus modernist buildings from the 60s, and you think "My god, that's ugly." You see the really old stuff, and recognize how old it is. And then you see the new stuff under construction. It's a complete architectural soup with no cohesive polish.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    mozoha wrote: »
    Epic thread for so many reasons. Nagus' logic and Commodore Bob's persistence to name two of them. Nothings perfect but I love this game. Keep the good times coming.

Wait, what? I've only posted three times (four counting this). Once was an obvious joke and another was to mention I fixed the third.