test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What Social Map Would You Like Next

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
Cryptic have done a good job on maps like Defera, ESD, Qo'nos, the academies and now Bajor.

Assuming they were to add another big social zonel/Mission map for the next FE series or event, what would you like to see?

Cardassia? Trill? Ty'gokor? etc.

I think my choice would be Ferenginar. I think that would be a fun place to see in game.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I would actually prefer something more to do on the existing social maps...
    edited February 2012
    I would like them to expand their Marin Headland's map to include Star Fleet Headquarter, maybe open up a bit of the city too.

They should make Mars and Luna maps as well and maybe some star bases on the moons and in the orbit of Saturn and Jupiter.

And of course, they should open all these maps up to foundry authors so we can play some stories using these well-crafted sets.
    edited February 2012
    One of the big problems with star trek is the fact that we generally don't stay in one place for to long. with the exception of DS9 where you stayed on a space station you are normally not returning to the same planet much., and even then it s only once or twice. the exceptions to this would be like Bajor that played an important part in that series.

So I think finding social locations is a the hard part. Maybe what they should focus on is expanding places like Bajor, earth, risa, and other places and give us stuff to do there.

Of course. if I had to give a place I would like to see. I would have to day the Trill home world, P'jem ( as a social place. I am sure it isn't right now. ) Rura Pentha, and maybe a few others.
    edited February 2012
    Deep Space.... 8.
    edited February 2012
    Cardassia without a doubt, I want to see Cardassia rebuilding, I want to see the Detapa Council HQ, the Cardassian Defense Force HQ, a rebuilding world.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_EIThAsM9pTM/S9ZdE6CIZOI/AAAAAAAAAcU/2pbHZA6G9lM/s1600/Cardassia01.jpg

Then Ferenginar.
    edited February 2012
    Obviously what we need is a Vasquez Rocks social zone for human/Gorn duels.
    edited February 2012
    Obviously what we need is a Vasquez Rocks social zone for human/Gorn duels.

This, or a Paramount Studios backlot zone for time travel missions.
    edited February 2012
    Player Ship Interiors

The new Defiant interior is great, what would be great is for them to work on the Intrepid, Galaxy and Soveriegn interiors (including shuttle bays). If they then added missions to do on our ships (maybe dailies) the maps would get used alot too. Failing that they could make a few FE's that requier you to goto a ship to ensure the interiors get used.

Risa could also do with a revamp to bring it up to teh standards of what the concept art for it originally was.

After that I'd say probably Cardassia or Ferenginar.

Starfleet Command could be great as well. Ideally though, I'd say The Gorn, Orion or Nausicaan homeworlds would be nice for the Klinks :-)
    edited February 2012
    Ferenginar would be a great place to see. Need lots of weather effects, don't know how taxing that would be.

Out of existing places, I'd like to see some city-area on Andoria. The existing map is just a wide open nature park. We've seen an Aenar city onscreen, but they are in the Northern Wastes. It would be interesting to see if 'temperate'-zone underground cities have more vegetation, flowing water, or even access to the sky. Still chilly, but more alpine than arctic.
    edited February 2012
    Maybe not social zones, but placed I'd like to visit ...
    • Farpoint Station
    • Utopia Planitia Shipyards
    • Argus Array
    • Ferenginar
    • Trill
    edited February 2012
    As one of the posters above said, I'd like to see San Francisco opened up more. Give us Starfleet Command, open up part of the city for us to explore.

Then, give us the moon colonies, let us look at Earth from the Moon, and explore what Earth has created on the moon. Then give us Mars, let us see the Mars colonies and explore Mars.

I'd also like to see Jupiter Station that we saw in Voyager several times, where Dr. Zimmerman worked.

I'd like every ship to have an appropriate bridge for that ship, from the TV series, along with unique interiors, based on that ship, as we've seen in the TV series, so that each ship has a unique bridge and interior.

For looking at worlds outside of Sol, definitely give us Betazed. It's time to open up that sector block and let us explore Betazed.
    edited February 2012
    How about we get a dang PvP map for once?
    edited February 2012
    mvs5191 wrote: »

How about a PvP zone on Ferenginar where buisnesses can battle each other for Latinum?
    edited February 2012
    mvs5191 wrote: »
    This.

I'm not sure how it took two years to get another map in the game aside from Shanty Town, especially when many of the Featured series maps could be added.
    edited February 2012
    How about something useful... aren't you tired of empty maps?
    edited February 2012
    I'd like them to work on the existing ones first.

Give Andoria it's open zone Melee PvP "Ushaan", with energy weapons and kits disabled like Coliseum.

Something to do on Risa. Like some nice "misadventure" that Picard went thru.

Also, since they have a day/night cycle figued out, maybe apply it to Risa.
    edited February 2012
    I would like them to finish Andoria or at least take 10 minutes to delete the popup dialogues that imply functional dualing before they do anything else.

If they finish or edit Andoria, I'd love to see San Franscisco.

Doing a historical Earth city and throwing those assets into the foundry would be a godsend for authors.
    edited February 2012
    Cryptic have done a good job on maps like Defera, ESD, Qo'nos, the academies and now Bajor.

Assuming they were to add another big social zonel/Mission map for the next FE series or event, what would you like to see?

I think my choice would be Ferenginar. I think that would be a fun place to see in game.

I would like to see one in the Gamma Quadrant.
    edited February 2012
    Suricata wrote: »
    Player Ship Interiors

The new Defiant interior is great, what would be great is for them to work on the Intrepid, Galaxy and Soveriegn interiors (including shuttle bays). If they then added missions to do on our ships (maybe dailies) the maps would get used alot too. Failing that they could make a few FE's that requier you to goto a ship to ensure the interiors get used.

Risa could also do with a revamp to bring it up to teh standards of what the concept art for it originally was.

After that I'd say probably Cardassia or Ferenginar.

Starfleet Command could be great as well. Ideally though, I'd say The Gorn, Orion or Nausicaan homeworlds would be nice for the Klinks :-)

I'd say more, but you said what I was thinking.
    edited February 2012
    • I want the social maps to have less "pretty for the sake of being pretty".
    • I want each social map to have it's own unique Vendors with gear that can't be found elsewhere.
    • I want each social map to have it's own pricing quirks with the general Vendors (+/- 5% prices & resale values on different kinds of gear).
    • I want any new social map to take these things into account from the beginning instead of giving us a new piece of pretty fluff and nothing to do there past it's debut use.

And I don't want "pretty" tech to delay any of it.
    edited February 2012
    For over a year the NPC's have been talking about duels, etc, and it isn't even in-game.

I'd like the already existing maps to be 100% complete or possibly expanded a bit before creating new ones.
  • captainlimcaptainlim Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Its better if every playable species has a homeworld to go to like betazed.
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Not sure what I want as next social zone.

I am pretty sure, to have an idea what we will get.

They talked about opening a new sector next season, that will inlclude another fleet holding (as if dropping resources into a starbase wasn't enough already).
    Likely something like a colony world where you can build up from a camp with tents to a flourishing city...

I also expect another public starbase in that region or another open ground map where Federation, Klingon and Romulan all come together.
    Not sure if there is an established world from canon that would fit the bill.

Possibly Nimbus III, which could be interesting to explore more than 100 years later that what we last saw of it.

Since we are talking about a social zone, the main aspect I would be interested in is a good flavor envirmonment for RP.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I think Risa needs some redesign. A big hotel with half naked waitresses, maybe some boats and such. Right now it looks like some sort of homeless enclave.
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • arcademasterarcademaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Honestly there is no need for other social maps, any additional ones would be a waste of ressources.

The starbases will be the place to meet for fleets. Other than that, people use DS9 or ESD/Quo'nos since they have business there anyway. No one goes out of their way to fly to Bajor or Risa just to stand there and chat in zone-chat.
  • captpeacemakercaptpeacemaker Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited August 2012

We don't need more social maps. Why would we NEED them?

I would rather they focus their time and money on adding more mission content to the game.

We dont need another map where we just run around, check the bank, exchange, look at the scenery and talk in the zone chat.

I agree that they should add those locations, but it should be in a mission context.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Thowchum
    Legendary Starfleet Captain
    Fleet Leader, The Abductors
    STO Forum Member since December 2010
    Welcome to Star Trek Online, where our motto is 'Peace through Superior Firepower.'
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I spend so very little time on social maps that they really seem like a waste to me. I mean, let's list them out for the Fed side:

ESD
    Academy
    DS9
    Bajor
    Defera
    Drozana
    Fleet Base
    Captain's Table
    Plus we have all the smaller based like SB 39, K7, etc.

Plus, I'm assuming the new Zone coming with Season 7 will also have a social zone. I'd really rather they spend the time focusing more on game content then social content.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited August 2012
    Why not multi purpose new zones?
    The Defera Invasion zone was going in the right direction. It was a social zone most of the time and became filled with NPC enemies once the sun went down and the space vampires came out.

Have bigger zones and populate them with all sorts of social features as well as mission content. For more complex mission requiements ad special mission instances you access through doors or transporters. This would also be a lovely playground for foundry authors.

This all makes esspecially sense if you make a whole mission series around a single theme.

Bajor is an excellent example as well, it's just too many minigame style missions all linked to the 2800. But the idea is the right one.

It would be easy to hook up with other players doing the same mission because you see them running around there.
    RPing is always more nice in a living breathing environment (even if it's partypopping cats in pink miniskirts).
  • dant158#3249 dant158 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I think social maps are a waste of development time and resource.
    Take Bajor for example. It's beautiful and probably took alot of time and effort to make, but within a week of being put into the game, it's a ghost town. Never seen or heard from again.

TLDR; Social maps = resource black hole.
    edited August 2012
    No love for Rpers among min/maxers, hm? ;)