test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lack of Gold Lock Boxes and Standard Lock Box Issues

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
Ok I have been playing everyday since the lock boxes have been released. I have see 3 Gold Boxes drop as loot in an STF only and I have obtained only one of them. And in that one I got a Jnior Cadre. REALLY???

I have been doing missions on elite hoping that would improve my chances of seeing one but no it has not.

I have done the FE: Second Wave twice since its release on Saturday and I havent seen a single lock box at all and that is where they are supposed to be the most frequently dropped.

Cryptic Ill be an idiot and buy your keys but my god please make it so that the gold boxes actually drop when and where they are supposed to it should be 1 in every 5 not 1 in every 100.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Cryptic Ill be an idiot and buy your keys

I'd like to encourage you to not purchase the keys. Giving positive reinforcement to PWE's bad behavior will mean only more of it in the future (and next time it may not be an optional, but desirable ship, but maybe just the best weapon or armor in the game.)

My advice is to hold on to your dollars and make them come up with a better way to earn them.
    edited February 2012
    Cryptic Ill be an idiot and buy your keys but my god please make it so that the gold boxes actually drop when and where they are supposed to it should be 1 in every 5 not 1 in every 100.
    Now if they were just 1 in 5, everyone would be ignoring them just like the normal drop boxes... But is 1 in a hundred worth buying that master key for???

Now my little Ferengi female, (while working on her 'Sultan of Stun' accolade in the Tutorial) has acquired 4 Gold Boxes, but had to slaughter hordes and hordes of Borg Drones, (as well as discard dozen of stacks of 'uncommon' drop boxes to keep the inventory open), in doing so... So it seems that quantity is more important then quality to get those 'Gold' boxes...
    edited February 2012
    Adeptus wrote: »
    I'd like to encourage you to not purchase the keys. Giving positive reinforcement to PWE's bad behavior will mean only more of it in the future (and next time it may not be an optional, but desirable ship, but maybe just the best weapon or armor in the game.)

My advice is to hold on to your dollars and make them come up with a better way to earn them.

If a person wishes to buy the boxes, such is their prerogative.
    edited February 2012
    The Gold Lockboxes are not worth their rarity, nor the cost of the key to open them.
    edited February 2012
    Adeptus wrote: »

I encourage everyone who actually enjoys this game and wants to see it have a future, to buy and buy and oh and buy.
    edited February 2012
    I encourage anyone who enjoys the game and accepts that the c-store is required for F2P, that they should not buy them as it should be being used to sell items that everyone can enjoy over poor quality, arguable unethical, gambling features.
    edited February 2012
    At the very least I had gotten 2 Gold Boxes out of 130 Green Boxes. It's bloody ridiculous if you ask me.
    edited February 2012
    I've trashed near a thousand green boxes by this point... I've seen one purple box but it got nicked by someone else due to my abysmal loot rolls.

I have yet to see one gold box. Not that I'd buy a key for it except off the exchange, but still...
    edited February 2012
    Chris8016 wrote: »
    I encourage anyone who enjoys the game and accepts that the c-store is required for F2P, that they should not buy them as it should be being used to sell items that everyone can enjoy over poor quality, arguable unethical, gambling features.

Oh, so you want high quality, undeniably unethical, gambling features? Well if that will keep the game running than I support you! ;)

My only issue with the them is that boxes drop so often and that we have to roll on each in STFs. On ground I have to exit shooter mode every few seconds to press pass, pass, pass...
    edited February 2012
    splatomat wrote: »
    The Gold Lockboxes are not worth their rarity, nor the cost of the key to open them.
    I beg to differ, the DOFF cadre packs I received for the price of a master key is less then half the costs of buying the pack directly from the C-Store... Now what to do with that Crossfire Tribble... it will probably end up on the Fleet Bank as I already have an account wide unlock for 'it'
    edited February 2012
    Kwiat wrote: »
    Oh, so you want high quality, undeniably unethical, gambling features? Well if that will keep the game running than I support you! ;)

My only issue with the them is that boxes drop so often and that we have to roll on each in STFs. On ground I have to exit shooter mode every few seconds to press pass, pass, pass...

i dont see this as unethical, no more so then TFC boxes or the dozens of other similar things mmos have done for years/decades now, what I find annoying is that I have hundreds of these boxes(on a friends alt) and they are worthless, I do wish people would stop buying the keys so they would stop the event.

there are better ways to do key box type events in mmos'

look at Kal Online, you buy "lucky keys" that have time limits, they let you open boxes faster(can open then anyway but very very slow and likely to be attacked as you do) but they also have 1hr keys drop.

i suggest that cryptic could do the same kind of thing, make single use keys drop OR make the drop keys have varying charges(say 1-5 charges random), make the pay keys so they have more charges AND higher likelyhood of a good drop, this would encourage people to buy the store keys, but allow those who cant afford keys to still participate and clean out those common boxes their packs/banks are full of....

I know it probably wont ever happen, as to many people are like the dude who thinks you need to buy into every single thing the company throws at you if you want the game to stick around....

Zahalu thats the one, little note for Zahalu and those like him: I been Playing F2P mmo's since before most americans/westerners knew what they where, And it wont kill PWE or STO if you dont buy into a bad idea, they will just avoid doing that again, like if they put out a cstore costume or item pack that nobody really wants....if it dosnt sell, they move on to something that will and dont do the stupid event again(or rework it so its not so damned annoying)

the worst thing about this box event is the box spam i get(spam of ppl unlocking is not so bad anymore but the number of boxes i endup with.....ugggg)
    edited February 2012
    hell i get more uncommon lcok boxes then anything kinda makes me wonder why are they called un common when i get 6 every mission but i still have yet to get any other ones to
    edited February 2012
    I beg to differ, the DOFF cadre packs I received for the price of a master key is less then half the costs of buying the pack directly from the C-Store... Now what to do with that Crossfire Tribble... it will probably end up on the Fleet Bank as I already have an account wide unlock for 'it'

um, the doff pack I got from a box was worth like 120k EC, so yeah, not worth the key spent to get it, would have been better off just getting doff cadre from the exchange.....
    edited February 2012
    I've only seen Green-quality lockboxes (in their hundreds, maybe even thousands) since the event started: I refuse to believe that such a things as a "common" lockbox even exists. My Klink Commander has discarded at least ten stacks of these damn' things and is currently working on a third stack of 10 in her inventory.

There may well be good rewards in the common green box but with such a rediculous drop-rate (I can pick up 10, or more, just doing an episode) and at £0.72 a key there is simply no way I can afford to unlock all of the boxes I get.

So, do I wait, with baited breath, in the vain hope that I get one of the mythical purple, or legendary, gold boxes and then scuttle off to spend £0.80 in the hopes that the fantastically high odds of actually getting something decent in a box work in my favour - or do I shrug my shoulders and sell the boxes for 90EC for a stack of 10 on the Exchange?

Either way, I pretty sure that I will not be ending up with the shiny, shiny Galor-class vessel.
    edited February 2012
    but but but, if you dont open every box, pwe wont make buku bucks off you... thats not good... they put minutes into setting this event up just so you could spend your hard earned money to buy keys for a .000000003 chance of getting a gaylor out of one of the thousands of green boxes you pick up.
    edited February 2012
    AshenTech wrote:
    but but but, if you dont open every box, pwe wont make buku bucks off you... thats not good... they put minutes into setting this event up just so you could spend your hard earned money to buy keys for a .000000003 chance of getting a gaylor out of one of the thousands of green boxes you pick up.

I assume you're being sarcastic...
    edited February 2012
    good assumption there
    edited February 2012
    AshenTech wrote:

For the record, it's beaucoup. French for "very much". Or something like that.
    edited February 2012
    AshenTech wrote:

They already make money out of me since I'm not F2P. And, honestly, I'd rather blow my cash on another refit for a B'rel or more Doffs than on the microscopic chance I might get the miniscule chance to get some fancy Cardie ship that'll probably turn up in the c-store somewhere down the line anyway and which isn't in character for my character in any case.

And, to be perfectly honest, the whole dealie with flashing the names of the lucky winners across the screen every minute or so kinda p**sed me off. Making 99 out of every 100 drops into a lockbox is bad enough; making you fork out cold, hard cash in some ********** lottery where you don't even know the odds is even worse... But spamming system messages and trying to elict a Pavlovian response - that's downright low.

So, I'll put up my lockboxes for anyone who feels that 0 .000000003% is good odds.

Oh, and +1 for sarcasm :D
    edited February 2012
    Deleted...
    edited February 2012
    I wish I got a junior cadre from my box... Anyway, I managed to get one gold box since the event started, out of literally thousands of drops. I can't delete the things fast enough and they're still clogging my inventory despite the fact that I pass on them.

But hey, it's a purple box, right? I figure I'll at least get a purple item, so I got a key off the exchange for 900k ECs, and...

I got a mark X blue ground shield. On the exchange, probably worth a hair-blisteringly huge 15k ECs.

What.

Why.

I consoled myself by buying a crossfire tribble and dilithium horta off the exchange moments for under 50k total. That price compared to the key price makes me think there's a bunnnch of suckers out there. I got the DS9 uniform pack too for pocket change but I'm KDF and can't even use it. Well, whatever.
    edited February 2012
    I've picked up three gold boxes on my tactical officer so far. The fact that they're rare is good, as they have an increased chance to contain the Galor. Buying the keys off the exchange is still a gamble that's often not worth it, but more worth it than using those keys on a green box.

The boxes I've opened have contained "useless" stuff, but... that's the way things work. Granted, I did equip my purple shield I picked up because it was actually an upgrade... I just wish the purple boxes would have either more stuff in them, or more useful stuff in them. Or unique stuff that can only be found in those boxes.
    edited February 2012
    I have yet to even SEE a single Gold lock box, also i can't support this system of having to pay c-points to open loot items so i refuse to buy a key from the c-store. although it's funny that they're selling boxes for 200 dilithium when the exchange has them for as low a 1 energy credit.
    edited February 2012
    I believe the gold boxes are rare...and they are worth 100 c points. Got the galor in my first rare box..never tried a common box...only a fool would open green boxes in hopes of earning a purple reward....But in all fairness the new players may not have that sensibility by virtue of the lack of experiences they have had with cryptic thus far. I do recall them stating the greens were not very good in terms of odds and the rare boxes were far better.

I saw in a previous post that the tems from a rare box could be many things..all sell for more then the 100 c points.

It vexxes me as to why there is all this rage over something so trivial......the entitlement mentality seems to be running amok here......

This is a gamble. With real world money (if you cannot earn enough dilithium) and you should be weary about any gamble....

I am also tired of people raging in the forums because they loose their rent money (exaggerating) when noone forced them to gamble.

I am an average person...nothing special...these spamming of the ships opened and won do nothing to encourage me to buy more and waste my coin.......so too should it be with you all.....
    edited February 2012
    i dont get enough boxes, I think they need to upp the drop rate by 500% or so, that way i can fill my pack with stacks of boxes in each stf i do....
    edited February 2012
    I have boxes full of teeth! Whether I play what I play there so it comes out ... box. The fleet of them have in the bank at least 200th Nobody wants it, everybody do not want to give it! Something like Tribbles, but at least they are cute .. C store certainly will not pay any key when I know that in boxing there is nothing proper ... I will not spend money unnecessarily .. the best is when you get a mystery box and you can guess what .. BOX!! I HATE These BOXES!
    edited February 2012
    In one of the earlier devposts where they were introducing these lockboxes, they claimed that the Mystery Boxes from STFs (and I guess the Featured episode replay rewards) are probably the best odds of finding a Gold Lockbox.

I have a fleetmate that has been consistently keeping track of his Mystery Lockboxes (he's up to 500 last time I checked) and he has found that it seems to be consistent at about a 2% chance that a Mystery Box will contain a Gold Lockbox instead of a regular lockbox.
    edited February 2012
    garravesh wrote: »
    It vexxes me as to why there is all this rage over something so trivial......the entitlement mentality seems to be running amok here.....

You couldn't have hit the nail harder on the head.

I don't get all raged when so&So@whogivesacarphegotaship won someting. It's on my screen for a second or two and gone, I hardly notice.
    I bought a 10-pack of keys, that's it. Opened a few boxes because I wanted to see what the drop rate was on the new commodities, got a few items that my alt would like to have (Sheelat and the Denube pets), so, I didn't feel gyped. Sold the rest for 7mil EC which i bought a bunch of the new commodities with to do the new DOff missions and called it a day.
    No harm, no foul, no fuss, no muss.

I made a choice not to purchase anymore and I applaud those that did and congratulate those that won their fancy fish ship as much as I congratulate those that won the purple beetle boat. More power to you guys.
    I have an Odessey Class I got for FREE!
    I have a Bortas Class I got for FREE!
    And, I have a feeling that these box/key purchases may have paid for that.
    edited February 2012
    I will say this...
    When a T5 K'Tinga happens in these grab bags, I will gleefully spend $100s of CP to get one!
    edited February 2012
    CMikeHardy wrote: »
    You couldn't have hit the nail harder on the head.

I don't get all raged when so&So@whogivesacarphegotaship won someting. It's on my screen for a second or two and gone, I hardly notice.

You misunderstand the source of many players' complaints.

I don't get raged that player@handle wins a Galor either. I do get raged that it is openly advertised to me in a manner which is deliberately intrusive and impossible to remove. It interferes with my play experience, and ruins the immersion and enjoyment I can get from the game. Even when fiddling in the tailor these messages still show up. They are intrusive beyond the point of reason.

I can easily opt-out of the lock box cash grab scheme if I want (well... I still have to put up with the thousands and thousands of lock boxes that drop in the game) but I cannot opt out of the messages. That is my problem. Get rid of the messages and I still think the lock boxes are a dumb idea and will not pay CP or dilithium for them, but at least I can willingly recuse myself from participating.

In the case of the messages, I cannot. And furthermore, it is patently against Cryptic's own policies to broadcast spam, and spam messages containing the information of other characters at that. The people who win these Galors are now subject to floods of tells and spam of their own, and even harassment over having been one of the "lucky ones" to get the ship.