test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What's the best crafting EC maker?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
After all the crafting changes, I'm wondering what the most profitable (if any) crafting skills there are in the game now? I've heard that there aren't as many high level purples to craft now. Is that true? Is it just better to get purple drops from STFs, etc. than bother crafting?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Honestly. If I was to guess. I would say maybe the Aegis set or something else hard to make. still seems to be he hardest to produce but it is only bind on equip so I am sure you can sell it on the exchange.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I honestly don't think any crafting is profitable anymore, considering the newly added dilithium cost. Even during the 20% off times, the math just doesn't add up.

I don't keep up with exchange prices too closely, but I think you'd get a better EC return by just buying unreplicatable materials with your dilithium and selling them on the exchange.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Quantum Torpedo Launchers. Those will net the largest amount of cash per piece. The high-ranked ones can, at times, net in the millions of EC for each Launcher.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Jeslyn wrote:
    Quantum Torpedo Launchers. Those will net the largest amount of cash per piece. The high-ranked ones can, at times, net in the millions of EC for each Launcher.
    The Ferengi in me agrees with this.
    Everybody seems to want the blue balls of death. Which is why it's often an instant sell on the Exchange if one undercut by oh I dunno... 10k EC maybe?(depending on the current asking price)
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Chat wrote:
    The Ferengi in me agrees with this.
    Everybody seems to want the blue balls of death. Which is why it's often an instant sell on the Exchange if one undercut by oh I dunno... 10k EC maybe?(depending on the current asking price)

I concur with the person with the Ferengi inside of him :D

Simply because its the most used torps in the game at various ranks.

As far as consoles etc... unless its a unique piece of console like the Antiproton Mag Regulator, or some engineering armor and sci shield consoles, they're pretty much worthless - same applies for engines, shields, and deflectors.

Simply because:

A) The best sets are offered near the end of the game, and uncommon and rare Engines, shields, and deflectors drop like flies throughout the game.

Basically Uncommon are more common and Rare are somewhat common - hope I'm not confusing you :p

B) A smart player who is NOT involved with PVP - will just play the game using COMMON equipment until they reached Rear Admiral Lower Half - besides on your way up to RLH - you WILL EARN tons of uncommon and rare equipment along the way. (Because of this, many of the stuff on the exchange are not worth spending EC on)

C) The drop rate on many items in this game is severely broken, where rares are really not that rare at all - and many of the items of rare quality can be obtained via missions.

(Whatever happened to the rare drops being better than what is offered from the mission rewards?)
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Andrys wrote: »
    After all the crafting changes, I'm wondering what the most profitable (if any) crafting skills there are in the game now? I've heard that there aren't as many high level purples to craft now. Is that true? Is it just better to get purple drops from STFs, etc. than bother crafting?

Craft up XI Rare Consoles, the popular ones like TACT Anti-proton Mags, SCI 35% Shields etc...

While a lot of players have at the very least 1 character that can craft anything, they also have alts and prob not enough materials to feed all those alt's or the time to swap back and forth to switch characters.

So look at the Exchange for XI Rare Consoles that have obscene prices, craft up the same ones and undercut the prices a little and yours will sell first.

XI Rare consoles are 7,950 Dilith total without the crafting discount event, 5,000'ish with the discount. So they are the cheapest and easiest sellers. Yes, people can buy them for 11k Dilith, but some don't want to spend the Dilith or are waiting on a cooldown to refine more. Plus players will spend EC a lot faster then they will Dilith.

Take advantage of those FED "traditionalist" players too. They only want to use Phaser, Photons or Quantums. While weapons are more expensive to craft, you can still make the XI consoles for them.

Plus, you got those goofy players who buy the common and uncommon materials with dilith to put on the exchange to make EC, then spend that EC on a crafted item LOL...thank god for those guys..
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    The (Blue) BioFunction Monitor XI in the past could be purchased for marks/medals/emblems. After season 5 they are no longer available from NPCs that I can find, even the DL ones.

Thus far I have only been able to get them through crafting them myself or as loot drops.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    optyk wrote: »
    Craft up XI Rare Consoles, the popular ones like TACT Anti-proton Mags, SCI 35% Shields etc....

I actually did some calculations just a couple days ago during the Time to Craft event. I have a bank packed to the rafters with anomalies, so I disregarded their cost, and I assumed you only craft when it's Time to Craft.
    • Antiproton ship weapons yield about 143 EC per dilithium. DHC and Beam array are the best choices.
    • Top-tier tactical consoles (antiproton and phaser) get 139 EC per dilithium
    • Aegis parts, engines were most expensive at the time, get 147 EC per dilithium.

On that basis I crafted a few of each category. The antiproton weapons and console sold more or less immediately; the Aegis parts have not yet all sold. So on that basis, I'd say watch prices for Antiproton beams, dhc's and consoles, and based on the input from this thread I'm going to start eyeballing quants also.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Asakara wrote:
    The (Blue) BioFunction Monitor XI in the past could be purchased for marks/medals/emblems. After season 5 they are no longer available from NPCs that I can find, even the DL ones.

Thus far I have only been able to get them through crafting them myself or as loot drops.

Use the exchange. It seems Mk X Purple ones (same stats as blue Mk XI) go for like 200-250k. IMHO that's a pittance compared to spending dilithium and anomalies to craft them.

Mk XI blues probably go for similar, or usually even less cause of the "purple premium".
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Anyone know why we still can't craft disruptors of any sort in the R&D?
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    fauxpasiii wrote: »
    I actually did some calculations just a couple days ago during the Time to Craft event. I have a bank packed to the rafters with anomalies, so I disregarded their cost, and I assumed you only craft when it's Time to Craft.
    • Antiproton ship weapons yield about 143 EC per dilithium. DHC and Beam array are the best choices.
    • Top-tier tactical consoles (antiproton and phaser) get 139 EC per dilithium
    • Aegis parts, engines were most expensive at the time, get 147 EC per dilithium.

On that basis I crafted a few of each category. The antiproton weapons and console sold more or less immediately; the Aegis parts have not yet all sold. So on that basis, I'd say watch prices for Antiproton beams, dhc's and consoles, and based on the input from this thread I'm going to start eyeballing quants also.

Checked the exchange. XI Weapons need 15230 Dil to craft. Crafted antiproton XI weapons (beam and DHC) sell for ~1.300.000 on the exchange. That is 85 EC/DIL. AEGIS stuff sells ~1.500.000 that is 98 EC/DIL.
    And I did not add the value of the samples to the equation.

Keep in mind that you can sell the unreplicable materials on the exchange. The uncommon goes for around 100.000 EC/piece. So if you buy uncommon unreplicables and sell them on the exchange without any crafting you get 100 EC/DIL. Common unreplicables go around 2500 EC/Piece. That is 250 EC/DIL.

Bottom line is: the raw ingredients worth 100k-300k EC more than the complete product... So much for crafting.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    BlackV7 wrote:

(Whatever happened to the rare drops being better than what is offered from the mission rewards?)

You will have to buy them in the C-Store from now on is the way I think its going to go.
  • Options
    edited February 2012

Disruptors are Klingon only, Phasers are Fed only.
  • Options
    edited February 2012

Because these are Klingon only. EDIT: Dammit, oh, someone already posted this :D

But why can't we craft split-beam rifles?
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Pendra80 wrote: »
    Bottom line is: the raw ingredients worth 100k-300k EC more than the complete product... So much for crafting.

It's always been like that in my experience. Crafting was never profitable even before the changes. You were actually better off buying most items on the exchange because they sold for less than the components going in. Even if you were to farm the anomalies, you could simply sell the anomalies for more than the completed items.

It's possible that a few things like the Aegis set actually sold for more than it cost to make, but I'm not even sure about that. With the current dilithium added to the cost of crafting, I think it's a waste of effort to try to sell the stuff on the exchange. You'd be better off taking dilithium and converting to c-points to buy keys to sell.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    There is a lot of good info in this thread, but I have a couple things to add. First, you have to be aggressive to make money on the exchange. You have to check prices often and adjust your prices down to beat other people who just undercut your price. Often I would put items on the exchange, check back 10 minutes later and find someone had put a dozen items that were all above mine on the search list. Since there is no difference between my crafted items and yours the only way to get yours sold is to sell for a lower price.

But if you are willing to play hard at it you can get "rich" in a relatively short time.

Also the items that sell for the most change sometimes. Lots of people sell phaser consoles and the prices of those drop to maybe half that of antiproton consoles, yet since more people use phasers since before the skill revamp they were the best in terms of value per skill point, more people buy them.

Also, if you are willing to spend real life money, you can buy cpoints, sell them on the exchange for dilithium, and use that for your crafting to keep up a high number of items. You can sell up to 40 items per character at a time on the exchange, and mail the excess items to your other characters so they can each put 40 items up. Selling lots of different items makes sure you're not competing with yourself when you're selling lots of stuff.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Nagorak wrote: »
    It's always been like that in my experience. Crafting was never profitable even before the changes. You were actually better off buying most items on the exchange because they sold for less than the components going in. Even if you were to farm the anomalies, you could simply sell the anomalies for more than the completed items.

It's possible that a few things like the Aegis set actually sold for more than it cost to make, but I'm not even sure about that. With the current dilithium added to the cost of crafting, I think it's a waste of effort to try to sell the stuff on the exchange. You'd be better off taking dilithium and converting to c-points to buy keys to sell.

In my experience, crafting before the great dilithium nerf was highly profitable. If you kept current with exchange trends, you could identify areas where the supply was a little low, and as long as you looked for deals on materials (people often put stacks of 10 or more going for the same price as singles) to supplement your own supply gained via missions and exploration, you could easily make huge amounts of EC. You just mainly had to know what to craft.

Now it's not even worth the bother. The only thing I've crafted since S5 was a couple of nanoenergy capacitors, after which I promptly stopped once I saw that you could buy them direct from the exchange for much less than the cost of crafting materials.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Stormnnorm wrote:
    In my experience, crafting before the great dilithium nerf was highly profitable. If you kept current with exchange trends, you could identify areas where the supply was a little low, and as long as you looked for deals on materials (people often put stacks of 10 or more going for the same price as singles) to supplement your own supply gained via missions and exploration, you could easily make huge amounts of EC. You just mainly had to know what to craft.

Now it's not even worth the bother. The only thing I've crafted since S5 was a couple of nanoenergy capacitors, after which I promptly stopped once I saw that you could buy them direct from the exchange for much less than the cost of crafting materials.

If you own the anomalies already it's still profitable to use them. I had spent most of my credits helping friends out so when the Galor hit the exchange I went back to crafting. I had already spent most of my dilithium too buying cpoints so I bought most of my unrep mats. Within 2.5 days I had enough ec to buy a Galor on the exchange.

I still felt a little dirty buying the ship that way but at least I never paid for a key or participated in the grab bag for one.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I make bookoo bucks from just reselling stuff I get from the STFs.