test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

My game summary...

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Hello to everyone,

after playing STO now since almost one week i would like to state my personal impression about STO.

The game gives lots of fun in case you like this kind of games travelling through space (which i do like). But where is light, is always shadow too. I am not a total noob cuz i played EVE for almost 6 years. So..lets say..i may be able to give some feedback ;-)

1.) translation into german is not even half as good as it should be. Not everyone is able to read and/or understand english. The possibility to play "for free" doesnt make it any better, nor will it gives me a good excuse for the missing translation in some points. I am pretty sure this will be fixed in the future, but in the moment it really peeves.

2.) i was missing a tutorial, some guideline ingame leading me through the menue, stations etc. . The "try and error" version is not what i like. The current implementation should be imo, a major goal.

3.) prices about ships, slots ..this is..wow :eek::eek: . MMORPG like the icelandic one from CCP gives u at least the chance to get "ingame" credits for earning "playtime", but STO beats it all. In fact..its much more expensive then i thought on the first look. And by the way...after transfering money into ZEN and then on my game acc...it showed you dont get (for example 1000 Zen for 9.99 €) 1000 C. No! You get 80 C for 100 ZEN. And this didnt showed up BEFORE you transfer the money!! Of cuz..i was a little bit ..pi***d. :mad:

4.) I see great chances for STO in the future to become one of the top games in this genre but actually...dear CBS Studios Inc. you really need to think about your prices ;)
No one wants deny the right to earn money for a good work...but STO seems (for me) in the moment a total rip off. I do pay for games if they are good, STO is good and has good potentials, but i would appreciate about lowering the prices and stop copying ideas from WOW.

just my two cents

regards
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    minmothar wrote:
    And by the way...after transfering money into ZEN and then on my game acc...it showed you dont get (for example 1000 Zen for 9.99 €) 1000 C. No! You get 80 C for 100 ZEN. And this didnt showed up BEFORE you transfer the money!! Of cuz..i was a little bit ..pi***d. :mad:

100 zen = 80 C-points. In USD, 2500 zen (for $25 USD) is converted to 2000 C-points. Were you to buy C-points directly from cryptic, 2000 C-points costs $25 USD. So, they are giving you *exactly* the amount of C-points per dollar (or Euro or whatever) as if you purchased them directly from Cryptic.

I wish people would understand this.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Destinii wrote:
    100 zen = 80 C-points. In USD, 2500 zen (for $25 USD) is converted to 2000 C-points. Were you to buy C-points directly from cryptic, 2000 C-points costs $25 USD. So, they are giving you *exactly* the amount of C-points per dollar (or Euro or whatever) as if you purchased them directly from Cryptic.

I wish people would understand this.

^ this right here.

and OP you only have to pay for what you need. you can earn C store points in game, and you can earn ships in game. honestly in my opinion of the game if you did not buy anything from the C-store or pay a time. this game is the best deal of any free to play game out there.

Also welcome to the universe. I hope you don't miss new eden to much. ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    As Zodi says (and as I discovered reading other threads) you can possibly create a c point / dil investment market and steadily gain c points over the long term without spending much at all.

You just need to create your own capital base from simply playing the game and earning dilithium from duty officers and exploration.

My first $10 went a very long way and part of my next $30 would be donated to another player (to enable her forum posting rights). Considering the high gameplay value of STO to me, and its helpful good online community, this is $ well spent.

Definitely a superior game to whatever is the latest fad in the PC gaming market now, spending $50 and getting 8 hours of gameplay. STO gives much more mileage per buck because you have the option of not paying a cent and trust me, there's plenty of fun to be had getting spammed with rare and uncommon items from missions (esp on advanced and elite difficulty).

And if you get sick of it, just reroll a character or play a Klingon; try something new.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    minmothar wrote:
    3.) prices about ships, slots ..this is..wow :eek::eek: . MMORPG like the icelandic one from CCP gives u at least the chance to get "ingame" credits for earning "playtime", but STO beats it all. In fact..its much more expensive then i thought on the first look.

You are correct that the CStore prices for ships are very very expensive - however; it is possible to acquire these CStore vessels for free via the Dilithium exchange. The game forces you to grind, but the grind will earn you Dilithium which in turn you can convert to CStore points via the Dilithium exchange.

You CAN buy CPoints, but its better to earn the points via Dilithium.

Here is a pointer - If you have multiple characters, you have more opportunity to do the more larger earning Dilithium dailys. You can then convert your earnings per character to CStore Points, then back to Dilithium if you want to have a toon as a Dilithium banker. Its the only way possible to share Dilithium between characters. Play the market, since it fluctuates due to player offers. So its even possible to earn even more Dilithium if you play the market.

Playing the market and determining the best price for a profitable return can gain you plenty of CPoints.

Also keep in mind that CRYPTIC will be reworking the crafting system of this game - which in turn will also help to increase the profitbilty of Dilithium.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    minmothar wrote:
    2.) i was missing a tutorial, some guideline ingame leading me through the menue, stations etc. . The "try and error" version is not what i like. The current implementation should be imo, a major goal.

3.) prices about ships, slots ..this is..wow :eek::eek: . MMORPG like the icelandic one from CCP gives u at least the chance to get "ingame" credits for earning "playtime", but STO beats it all. In fact..its much more expensive then i thought on the first look. And by the way...after transfering money into ZEN and then on my game acc...it showed you dont get (for example 1000 Zen for 9.99 €) 1000 C. No! You get 80 C for 100 ZEN. And this didnt showed up BEFORE you transfer the money!! Of cuz..i was a little bit ..pi***d. :mad:

Yes, the ships are Expensive. On the bright side, you can swap in-game Dilithium for C-Points. That would be what you were looking for as a Game-Time-To-Credits.

And the phrase is "Trial and Error". ;)

EDIT: Grrr. Black beat me to it.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Welcome and all that junk. *throws some glitter* Weee.
    minmothar wrote:
    But on the plus side. The lil tutorial STO has doesn't hurt your feelings and then remind of that night you two spent in the cabin. Oh you know the one I'm talking about. *holds up doll*
    So in retrospect our tutorial, whilst giving a bit trial and error taste in the mouth. It wont hurt you. :p
    minmothar wrote:
    3.) prices about ships, slots ..this is..wow :eek::eek: . MMORPG like the icelandic one from CCP gives u at least the chance to get "ingame" credits for earning "playtime", but STO beats it all. In fact..its much more expensive then i thought on the first look.
    I'm not sure if a $70 monocles is less expensive than a $25 ship.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Chat wrote:
    I'm not sure if a $70 monocles is less expensive than a $25 ship.

LMAO, I forgot about the monocle. :D
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    BlackV7 wrote:
    LMAO, I forgot about the monocle. :D
    I can't.

Because if I did I could not wear my monocle and tease friends that play EVE. *whistles innocently*
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    CBS owns the IP for the game NOT the game or the business itself. Cryptic develops it and PWE makes all the money off it for the most part now. Ultimately it is PWE you want to talk to as neither Cryptic or CBS are important for matters of how the game actually proceeds at this point.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    thanks for your advices ...

maybe you get me wrong..but my english isnt probably good enough to explain..hehehe..so take my apologizes :D
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Supposedly language localization is being worked on...thats what was casually mentioned shortly after perfect world bought cryptic.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    minmothar wrote:
    thanks for your advices ...

maybe you get me wrong..but my english isnt probably good enough to explain..hehehe..so take my apologizes :D

No apologies are necessary. Many Native English Speakers do not speak it well enough to be understood. :D