test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The 80% cloak aspect

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited February 2012 in Klingon Discussion
There is a bit of maoning about this function around the forums. I wonder how much actual testing people have done. This is a new feature and we all come from the background of believing cloaks to be almost entirely effective without putting any real effort into their use.

Has anyone tested the effectiveness with consoles slotted, and or points actually deployed into cloaking? I know my toon doesn't use them so I should not be too surprised when a fed sci ship cna see me. As a fed sci with large aux power I have indeed seen Bortas at considerbale distances but I have no idea how much effort those players put into mitigating it... I know I put a lot of effort into seeing it.

So any player experiences here to share on the effectiveness of it when used with skills/consoles.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    You can't beat a 20% nerfed cloak with skills that will add maybe 2% total effectiveness.
    Cloak is not based on a 10 km range but a much greater value.

This change was rushed so it doesn't work.
    edited February 2012
    There is a bit of maoning about this function around the forums. I wonder how much actual testing people have done. This is a new feature and we all come from the background of believing cloaks to be almost entirely effective without putting any real effort into their use.

Has anyone tested the effectiveness with consoles slotted, and or points actually deployed into cloaking? I know my toon doesn't use them so I should not be too surprised when a fed sci ship cna see me. As a fed sci with large aux power I have indeed seen Bortas at considerbale distances but I have no idea how much effort those players put into mitigating it... I know I put a lot of effort into seeing it.

So any player experiences here to share on the effectiveness of it when used with skills/consoles.

Why does nagative feedback always get regarded as "moaning"?

When you can be spotted from 15 - 20 km away with cloak enabled what's the point of testing to prove if it is effective or not. How could it be any less effective? It's like asking the Captain of the Titanic to run a series of tests on the Titanic to see if she would sink, after she struck the iceberg.

I have 8 points in stealth. In any other KDF ship I can get within 3-5 km before being detected, most of the time. On top of that I have +1,000 Stealth bonus from the Honor Guard Covariant Shield Array Mk XII.

And sorry to have to state the obvious - but where would you suggest we put said consoles???
    edited February 2012
    drkfrontiers 1
    restlesskaiser 0

;)
    edited February 2012
    superchum wrote: »
    drkfrontiers 1
    restlesskaiser 0

;)

Dammit that melted my fury, now I'm all laughing again.
    edited February 2012
    Dammit that melted my fury, now I'm all laughing again.

It's also healthier.
    Worry too much and you'll have furrows all over you like this fellow :p
    edited February 2012
    mister_dee wrote:
    It's also healthier.
    Worry too much and you'll have furrows all over you like this fellow :p

Heee-hee. I think he just figured out what breed he is!!!!
    edited February 2012
    They should at least make it 82% effective, as a homage to the 18%'ers..... :D
    edited February 2012

What's to test?

Negh'var - with no bonus to cloaking, and auxilary at minimum power, I can get within 5 KM before anyone sees me.

Bortas - with the same settings, I am visible as much as 15 KM out (well before weapons range).

That's not "80%"... that's more like 20%.
    edited February 2012
    At the risk of sounding snarky... And I'm really not trying, but this may be a bug. It's not like cryptic doesn't have a... 'History?' of reversing values. For all we know, the 80% cloak aspect is actually "80% less effective" in a manner that is not intended.

Much like the MACO shield bug, you see?

Wait and see. It may be fixed.
    edited February 2012
    Again, it is not a bug, it is really working at 80%.
    They didn't take time to think about the change and simply cut cloaking value at 80%.
    It is just another rushed ability.

IMO, reverse it to a normal cloak or copy / paste MES III cloak rating.
    edited February 2012
    All I know is that it sucks as a cloak.
    edited February 2012
    Yeah, it does suck. I mean really. If in DS9 a Prime Universe BoPs cloak can make the Regent's ship invisible to the Defiant when it's right on bloody top of it there's no reason in all of creation that a cloak BUILT for a larger ship like a Neg'var can't make the Bortas cloak effectively.
    edited February 2012
    Yeah, it does suck. I mean really. If in DS9 a Prime Universe BoPs cloak can make the Regent's ship invisible to the Defiant when it's right on bloody top of it there's no reason in all of creation that a cloak BUILT for a larger ship like a Neg'var can't make the Bortas cloak effectively.

Not arguing about the 80% thing being stupid, but basing that argument on an episode where they said there are no cloaks in the MU and where they cloaked the cloak (!) with no power source (!!!) is not really helping.:)
    edited February 2012
    If a normal cloak is not detected until about 5 km, and yet this one is being detected out at 12-15 km, that does sound like it needs to be checked for a bug.

If 100% gets one within 5 km, then 80% mathematically should get you to around 6 to 7 km before being detected. Though only other explanation is that cryptic uses an non linear formula for cloak detection.

If it was accidentally just 20% effective cloak, one could be detected out to 25 km.
    edited February 2012
    My Bortas uses an inflatable mockup of itself to hide the real ships presence. I also have a costume for it that makes it look like a Good Humor Ice Cream truck, both techniques are more successful than its cloaking device AND I can have coffee in the morning!!! :D
    edited February 2012
    Maverius wrote: »
    If a normal cloak is not detected until about 5 km, and yet this one is being detected out at 12-15 km, that does sound like it needs to be checked for a bug.

If 100% gets one within 5 km, then 80% mathematically should get you to around 6 to 7 km before being detected. Though only other explanation is that cryptic uses an non linear formula for cloak detection.

If it was accidentally just 20% effective cloak, one could be detected out to 25 km.
    No, in the tooltip it's exactly 80% of a normal cloak.

The following are just suppositions.

Imagine different ships having different cloaking value to determine at which distance they appear on your screen (for example, vo'quvs are the last to disappear from your screen when you engage full impulse near qo'nos).
    Cloaking devices may just be a tool that sets your cloak rating at a new determined rating (~4950 for normal devices +/- 1% depending on skills and aux power).

Now take a cube, it appears at 94 km on you screen (i tested it right now). Lets say cubes have 0 cloak rating.
    If a normal cloaking device is seen at ~2 km, you have 94-2 = 92 km to travel before being seen by the ennemy ship. A 80% of this value is 0.8*92 = 73.6 km.
    Now if you travel 73.6 km of 94 km, there is 20.4 km left. So the ennemy ship would be able to see you at 20.4 km.
    Coincidence?

My suppositions may be wrong, but the cloak rating of mask energy signature is still better than bortas cloak so it's probably not a bug.

EDIT : well in fact my math may be flawed because my camera was at a long distance from my ship but you see my point.
    edited February 2012
    whamhammer wrote: »
    My Bortas uses an inflatable mockup of itself to hide the real ships presence. I also have a costume for it that makes it look like a Good Humor Ice Cream truck, both techniques are more successful than its cloaking device AND I can have coffee in the morning!!! :D

Ice Cream trucks worked well for Cheech and Chong, besides who doesn't like ice cream?
    edited February 2012
    Warpstalker, there have been typos in tooltips. Also, there is a great story of the MACO shield not reducing damage by 10% but TO 10% (well actually it hard capped at 75%) but such mistakes have happened. And yes, the tooltip said by 10%, but an error in the CODE (not tooltip) made it TO 10%.

As far as this cloak goes, I can easily see it accidentally coded 'reduce cloak by 80%' instead of 'reduce cloak by 20%' (to get an 80% effective cloak). It is a VALID thing to check with the numbers people are getting.

If it is working correctly, then Cryptic is using a non linear system for cloak detection, and that is fine but odd.

Also, with your math, we don't see any objects that far out in the game.

The way I figured it, at normal 100% you are detected at 5 km. 5 over 100% equals detected. So at 80%, or 5 over .8, you would be detected at 6.25 km. If it was at 20% effectiveness, it would be 5 over 20% or 25 km. Add stealth bonuses and you could get closer, to say 15 to 20 km before being detected....

Hey, guess what numbers I am matching!
    edited February 2012
    Do note that with a character with a BoP with a cloak rating of about +4012 (according to the cloaking device power tooltip), I can sneak right up on enemy cruisers and only become visible within about five to seven kilometers- and I can get positively nose to nose with those cruisers with maxed stealth and a stealth console.

With the same character boosting the BortaS' cloak via the starship stealth skill up from 30xx something to 4007, enemies can see me at about 20km and will engage me the moment I'm in range.

This seemed, for the record, very strange. I tried juggling points around, but I didn't want to blow all my respect tokens. But basically: In a BoP, a +4000 stealth from cloak makes me virtually undetectable. In the BortaS, a +4000 stealth from cloak has virtually no effect at all.

At the end of the day my stealth rating is different by maybe eight points, according to the tooltips.

So is something wrong? Absolutely.
    edited February 2012
    (to Maverius)
    Maybe, but pre-up MES cloaking values were near the bortas cloak and it was as useless if I remember correctly (and variation of cloak rating from skill+aux is in the 2% range, not even close to 20%).

Anyway, we agree its cloak is ridiculous and it should be fixed.

EDIT : Hum well, Kerrus proved me that I am wrong :D
    EDIT 2 : Hell no, my b'rel cloak is at 4973 (with 0 skill investment), it's not even near to 4007. Khaine told me his MES III was somwhere 4700 (was more) cloak rating, it's closer to my b'rel than my bortas 3983.

Are you sure your bop's cloak was 4012 and not 5012?
    edited February 2012
    Roach wrote: »
    Ice Cream trucks worked well for Cheech and Chong, besides who doesn't like ice cream?

So you have met my engineering team???? They also double as my strategists... :D
    edited February 2012
    (to Maverius)
    Maybe, but pre-up MES cloaking values were near the bortas cloak and it was as useless if I remember correctly (and variation of cloak rating from skill+aux is in the 2% range, not even close to 20%).

EDIT 2 : Hell no, my b'rel cloak is at 4973 (with 0 skill investment), it's not even near to 4007. Khaine told me his MES III was somwhere 4700 (was more) cloak rating, it's closer to my b'rel than my bortas 3983.

Has MES gone downhill since the revision? I remember using MES II on my Excel' to "decloak" 3 km in front of a pesky B.O.P. and scare the bejeezus out of them when they picking on a bud' of mine in Kerrat. I loved the allegations of "hacking" that the B.O.P.'er layed on me in chat... oh the memories....:D
    edited February 2012
    So you have met my engineering team???? They also double as my strategists... :D

lol- risky but great pay-off when it works. Thats explains why thier EWP is purple haze instead of blue
    edited February 2012
    My Bortas uses an inflatable mockup of itself to hide the real ships presence.

It worked for the Enterprise, until the Romulans fired on it and deflated it. Man, were they ****ed...

(KIRK IS A JERK)
    edited February 2012
    Here are some numbers at 48 aux power and +0 to stealth skill :

Normal cloak : 4973
    Bortas cloak : 3979 -> 80.01% of normal cloak
    MES I : 4553 -> 91.55% of normal cloak
    MES II : 4653 -> 93.57% of normal cloak

As you can see, turning off lights gives better results !
    Klingon's cloaking technology is fail.
    edited February 2012
    HF_Mudd wrote:
    It worked for the Enterprise, until the Romulans fired on it and deflated it. Man, were they ****ed...

(KIRK IS A JERK)

Hey, if it buys time, it buys time... :D
    edited February 2012
    Here are some numbers at 48 aux power and +0 to stealth skill :

Normal cloak : 4973
    Bortas cloak : 3979 -> 80.01% of normal cloak
    MES I : 4553 -> 91.55% of normal cloak
    MES II : 4653 -> 93.57% of normal cloak

As you can see, turning off lights gives better results !
    Klingon's cloaking technology is fail.

Even more reason for the Klink's big ships to "go green" rofl. :D
    edited February 2012
    (to Maverius)

At max aux, 6 pts in stealth, and no extra stealth console support, my BoP's cloak rating is 5077 sitting at 0 impulse. At 0 impulse, my defense value is 65%... when moving at full impulse, my defense value is 135%. With full power in impulse and 66/50 in aux, my cloak effectiveness is 5033.

On my defiant-r, the stats are the following.... umm WOW????
    At max aux, 3 points in stealth and no extra stealth console support, my defiant's cloak rating is 55,626 sitting at 0 impulse???? At 0 impulse, my defense value was 50%.... when moving at full impulse, my defense values is 120%. With full power in pulse and 60/50 in aux, my cloak effectiveness was 55,135.

Does this meant he cloaking console can never be detected???? Damn.. feds get another break.. first it was the maco shield, now it is the cloaking console. Are you devs biased in favor of feds or something?

This is with the new cloak console.. something seem off? These are the only 2 ships with cloaking ability that I have.

Also, are you saying that pts in stealth for a bop isn't needed? I had a sci detect me at 22KM when that was the case (or I might have had 3 pts in stealth I think)
    edited February 2012
    TF-Omega wrote: »

Does this meant he cloaking console can never be detected???? Damn.. feds get another break.. first it was the maco shield, now it is the cloaking console.

This is with the new cloak console.. something seem off? These are the only 2 ships with cloaking ability that I have.

You seem surprised.
    edited February 2012
    Roach wrote: »
    You seem surprised.

Not as far as cryptic is concerned, but klinks had cloaking tech long before feds did... it makes sense that they would be more stealthy than feds :)