test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Weird Sound Effects after latest Patch

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Has anyone noticed the strange sound effects that are in the game now after the most recent patch? Hopefully it's only a bug and will be solved soon but if Cryptic did it on purpose to change the sound up a bit it isn't that great. Or my computer is just dumb... which I doubt but you never know, all my settings are exactly the same since I started. Space is fine but when you're on the ground it's terrible. The guns are really quiet and the ambient sounds have to much echo to them. If they did change it I wish they would undo it and put it back to normal. Does anyone else out there notice this?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Yes there is a big problem with the sound. From the start of Season 5 there is an intermittent crackling sound, especially at ESD. Now after the latest patch the sounds are exactly as you state. Also as you leave an area and go to the next there is a loud whoomph kind of noise. Something is definitely bugged here. We have 4 computers in our house (because I work from home) each has STO loaded on and each has the same problem so I know it is not a PC issue and must be the game. In addition people have been complaining about it in the zone. Cryptic can you please comment on this audio issue and let us know when it will be resolved?

Thanks
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, feels like I'm in a tunnel. Very echo-y.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Cryptic can you please comment on this audio issue and let us know when it will be resolved?

I do believe one of the gold names is already looking into this.

Bathroom sound effects 15.DEC.patch2011?
    Added to my list of feedback.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I encountered that sound problem that you all mentioned. The weapons sound off and yet themusic was playing just fine. Only ground combat.:(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, good. I'm not the only one having this problem. It's mostly weapon and effects sounds, doors and whatnot sound normal.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ill put this post in 2 different points

First:
    Its probably the area thing that cryptic wants to enhance the gameplay of where u are

Then Second:
    its accually annoying i like it before this happen.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i have it on DS9 and ESD also a cracking sound some days are worse then the other.

I had the cracking on tribble and now on the live server
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yea, the crackling sound is bothering me too. The biggest problem for me though is the echoes in the ground maps like ESD and DS9. I don't what's it like on ground maps that are outside but inside ones are really annoying. Has anyone encountered this problem on outside ground maps?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm having the same problem, Tried to do the ground infected STF sounded like I was fighting in a fish bowl
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The crackling noise has been irritating me since I started testing the f2p code on Tribble, and sadly it came with the update to Holodeck. And I noticed the distant/hollow sound this weekend on a Romulan mission as well.

Ick.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hopefully they fix this soon.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    nice to see the Devs care about their own game.

Issue is still here, I get it just about everywhere.

ESD, in sector space, in combat, everywhere.

200 dollar Megalodon headphones that work perfectly every other game.

Oh well. Turn up the Trance, turn down the crackly record sounds!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Yes this needs to be bumped up and hopefully someone in QA will see it. I cannot believe that Cryptic don't know about it, it affects all four PCs I have here, each has a different sound card, some onboard, some AM cards. Like being inside a bathroom whilst someone is TRIBBLE up plastic sheeting. It really does detract from the game, not a show stopper but whatever it was they were trying to achieve it has failed miserably. Please please please give us our old sound back.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I posted some video of this problem. Hopefully this will shed some light on the issue.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=246755
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Oh it's nice to know that the crackling on ESD isn't just me...
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    2ID-Dang wrote:
    I posted some video of this problem. Hopefully this will shed some light on the issue.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=246755

Thanks for that, good thinking
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Hopefully they can fix the crackling and this Bathroom(echo) problem soon. Not a good impression to have bad sound issues for F2P launch.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Hopefully they can fix the crackling and this Bathroom(echo) problem soon. Not a good impression to have bad sound issues for F2P launch.

This is still an issue or me as well... there seemed to be a patch at login today made no difference.

Deleted sound.hogg, and let the patcher redownload. Deleted file = 800mb, new file = 350mb. Problem still there.

Just for kicks I uninstalled the entire game and I am redownloading just to make sure it's not a file corruption not found by the patcher.

Will report back.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I doubt it would be a problem with sounds.hogg. As far as I know that only contains the sound files themselves, not the FMOD code to play them back.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    This is still an issue or me as well... there seemed to be a patch at login today made no difference.

Deleted sound.hogg, and let the patcher redownload. Deleted file = 800mb, new file = 350mb. Problem still there.

Just for kicks I uninstalled the entire game and I am redownloading just to make sure it's not a file corruption not found by the patcher.

Will report back.

Word of advice - don't bother. It isn't your computer and it isn't file corruption.

This is a bug that was *not* originally on Holodeck. It first appeared on Tribble while "Season 5" was being tested there. It was bug reported again, and again while it was still there and the devs even acknowledged its existence. Then it not only wasn't fixed but *migrated* onto Holodeck with the Season 5 deployment. As such it's not new or even unknown to the devs, it just isn't *FIXED* yet. :mad:

*Then* to make matters worse, the December 15th update added the horrible echo chamber inside a toilet effects.

So basically there is *nothing* we as players can do to fix this. It's an issue only the devs can fix and they are running very short on time to do so before the F2P transition.

I love this game and I'm very concerned about its future if it continues in this condition.

The devs should not assume that the free players will be more tolerant or forgiving of bugs than we are. They may in fact be *less* forgiving as they have nothing invested in the game.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Samarkhan wrote:

I love this game and I'm very concerned about its future if it continues in this condition.

Quite right.

Let's simply examine what we get from a game, in many respects the same as a film. Our brain picks up information from our eyes and our ears, that's it, the other senses do nothing until someone invents smellivision LOL. Now of those two the eyes are arguably the most important, for a computer game there is no argument, you can play STO with the volume off but not with the monitor off.

So if we had seen a drop in screen resolution on the release of season 5 to say 800 x 600 and 256 colours then everybody would be up in arms about it and for sure the servers would have gone down until it was fixed. As a film maker myself I know that many people don't consciously appreciate the impact sound can have on a movie. It is the same with computer games. Gone are the days of beep beep effects and midi sound tracks, today's games are hugely atmospheric with orchestral scores and brilliant sound effects, it makes you feel that you are inside the game, not just an outside observer. The sounds are immersive and stirring, emotional and exciting.

So the bottom line is that the music and sound effects are absolutely critical for peoples enjoyment of the game. Perhaps if you play this on a laptop you may not notice the difference although I can still hear it on my son's laptop, but on a modern and sophisticated PC setup the difference that season 5 brought us was apparent from the first login.

Put simply, this is spoiling the game and it needs to be fixed, now. We were told by the DEVs that they are aware of the problem and are looking into it, but it seems they have been aware of it now since season 5 was introduced onto Tribble and yet still we have no fix. In one week's time there will hopefully be thousands of new players, some of whom will have state of the art PC setups and the first thing, the very first thing they will hear is muffled, echoing sounds in ESD, horrendous bathorrom effects, crackling audio, and generally a very poor sound accompaniment to the game, other than in space which still seems to be fine.

So Cryptic, you had better get this sorted this week because you are fast running out of time and we are fast running out of patience. I think we deserve an official response to this now and I suggest everyone files a bug report immediately.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I would like to add myself to the list here!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    This is still not fixed, it still sounds like there is too much reverb and like a huge empty stadium in ESD, Infected was lightly better on ground but not correct. The annoying crackle is less frequent and less noisy but is still there.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    This is still not fixed, it still sounds like there is too much reverb and like a huge empty stadium in ESD, Infected was lightly better on ground but not correct. The annoying crackle is less frequent and less noisy but is still there.

After the patch today 13/01/12 the crackling has stopped, thank you Cryptic.

It still sounds like there is too much reverb but I'll see what other maps are like now.