test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is it worth it getting a life

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Is it worth Getting a lifetime subscription right now before F2P because I really want a lifetime but I dont wont to waste $200-$300 so could you let me know before the 18th when the sale of the lifetime ends.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    The sale ends at the 18th. Shall I inform you about this again on the 17th or on a daily basis?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I would probably just play for free and buy the specific things I wanted from the store along the way.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I want to know before the 18th so If it is worth it I can get a discount
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I would probably just play for free and buy the specific things I wanted from the store along the way.

I will see from other posts but it would probably result in that
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Dom_Paris wrote:
    Is it worth Getting a lifetime subscription right now before F2P because I really want a lifetime but I dont wont to waste $200-$300 so could you let me know before the 18th when the sale of the lifetime ends.

The only person who can answer this for you is you. Do you think the changes that have taken place this month are good changes or bad changes? Do you enjoy repeating the dailies that give you dilithium or does it feel like a grind? Dy you see yourself playing this game for years to come? more importantly, do you believe this game will be around a couple years from now? Are you a picky enough consumer to avoid the new (but soon to be common) grab bag items or are you an impulse buyer who might overspend because of the "gambling" aspect of it? These are just a few questions off the top of my head that I think may help you decide.

My wife recently began playing. I bought her two months subscription to get in before F2P, but we intend on moving her account to silver to see if she likes that level or wants more. I may be wrong but I feel pretty confident that lifetime sales will be offered again. I hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's hard to say, as it all depends on your opinion. If you really think you'll need it and think you'll get your money's worth from it, then go for it.. Personally, I think you're better off going with the F2P version and just buying anything you need from the c-store. Doing that could end up being a lot more expensive in the long run though, if you think you'll buy a lot of the content.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No one can answer it, but you. Was it worth it to buy a lifetime at launch? If you played every month, then yes. Now, it depends on do you want the liberated borg or the other vet rewards that will be added eventually. If you play STO alot and have a bunch of characters, then I would say it is worth it. If you only focus on one character, then it would be cheaper to go F2P.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Also with a gold membership I will be getting a 400 cryptic point stipend so I cant really decide wether or not to buy this lifetime or not It is really getting my head in a spin
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    How much do you want the Borg and the vet rewards? You'll be getting those.

How many vet rewards do you have so far?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think its pretty obvious the only person who will be making the decision is the OP. What he is asking us is whether we think it is worth it and why. At least, that is what my reading comprehension tells me :D
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have about 70 days till 700

And I really want a liberated borg toon aswell
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Here's the full chart of the differences between a subscribed "gold" account and a free "silver" account:

http://startrekonline.com/f2p_features

As to whether it's worth getting a Lifetime vs paying month-to-month, that depends. Will you still be playing after about 13 months? At the full $15/month price, the current discount on the lifetime is the equivalent of about 13.3 months. If the answer is yes, then the lifetime is the better deal.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Is it worth it getting a life ?

I think so and so does William Shatner (or at least he did once on SNL)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Dom_Paris wrote:
    I have about 70 days till 700

And I really want a liberated borg toon aswell

Well, I've done the math.

If you're interested in that:

A sub is worth it IF you plan to actively play 5 characters AND you want them decked out.

Vet rewards go another 400 days past where you are right now. If you really want all the vet rewards through 1000 days, you'll be spending $150 anyway. (And getting $50 back in credit.)

At $199 for the lifetime, you'll get $50 in C-Points in the next ten months.

So IF you want the rest of the vet rewards, a lifetime will cost you $50 more than a sub and you'll make that back in another ten months.

So if you'll be around for 20 months and you play lots of alts, buy the lifetime. If you aren't sure, I'd say stay gold for the next 10 months to max out your vet rewards and have the freedom to quit.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    How much do you want the Borg and the vet rewards? You'll be getting those.

How many vet rewards do you have so far?

Pretty much comes down to this, if you can do without the Lib Borg then don't bother, you can get the vet rewards the stipend, everything else subbing when it suits you.

I subbed for 14 months then bought a LTS and I'm gutted I did now. I barely ever play my Lib Borg, the vet rewards are underwhelming and it'd have worked out cheaper if I just bought the gold "perks" per char as a silver player. All that and I can't even do a basic MMO function like respeccing without paying MORE money. All those promises of more content and game imrpovements that kep me subbing, convinced me to buy the LTS have fell seriously short, I havn't got what I thought I was paying for.

It really is up to you but if you want my advice, don't.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well you could end up spending more than the current cost of a lifetime sub just to get that Jem'Hadar ship only to end up with squat. At least for the cost of a lifetime sub you know what you're getting in the package. :p

It's your call. Though if you're an altoholic it will be worth the money.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'll add: If you play less than 5 alts and are close on your max tier of vet rewards, look at going silver.

The big value of a lifetime is for altaholics and it is a bigger savings the less vet rewards you already have if you consider them as a financial perk.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    16,000 Cryptic Points looks to be the break even point for a Lifetime at the discounted price. You'll recover those Stipend points in 40 months at the rate of 400 per month (That's 3 years 4 months.)

During those 3+ years, with a Lifetime, you also get rewards from the Veteran Rewards as well as all the Gold Member features available during FTP that can save you from purchasing Cryptic Point for access to certain features (like respecs). Retrain tokens are 400 a pop, when you get 1 free per rank with the Lifetime.

http://www.startrekonline.com/f2p_features

If you can't figure out what works better for you from there, then I can't help you further.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, I've done the math.

If you're interested in that:

A sub is worth it IF you plan to actively play 5 characters AND you want them decked out.

Vet rewards go another 400 days past where you are right now. If you really want all the vet rewards through 1000 days, you'll be spending $150 anyway. (And getting $50 back in credit.)

At $199 for the lifetime, you'll get $50 in C-Points in the next ten months.

So IF you want the rest of the vet rewards, a lifetime will cost you $50 more than a sub and you'll make that back in another ten months.

So if you'll be around for 20 months and you play lots of alts, buy the lifetime. If you aren't sure, I'd say stay gold for the next 10 months to max out your vet rewards and have the freedom to quit.

Well I would like to be around for as long as I can on this game so I think the lifetime offer is probably for me after the good evidence you have given me so ty everyone for your help and if you have anything else to add please do.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Dom_Paris wrote:

lifetime will pay for itself, if you can afford to get it and you will enjoy playing get it.

after 40? months or so you will get your money back in the form of C-store points.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My answer to the OP's Thread question is...,

If you're playing the game so much that you are thinking about getting a LTS...

It's too late, You Have No Life... :p

I got my LTS with the February sale ($239.99)... I very much feel it was well worth it...

Even with all the krazy things that have happened this past year...

But the biggest reason is..., because I'm a Trekkie/er. :D
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Any more comments on this? I am considering going life........but not sure. I already have bought the MVAE, Dreadnought Cruiser, Excelsior. There is lots to consider, do I see myself playing in 13 months? How much money will I spend on the C-Store in that time? Will this game still be around in a couple years? I think I am pretty much done creating toons, so does that affect me? Lost of questions:) Any more comments on if it is worth it or not? Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You'd be wasting your money OP, it's not even close to worth it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You'd be wasting your money OP, it's not even close to worth it.

What is OP? Thanks for the reply,
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    HamRadio18 wrote:
    What is OP? Thanks for the reply,

Original Poster/Opening Post, your welcome.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I bought the LTS a week before the game went live, and haven't regretted it. Having the coin at the time, and enjoying my time in Beta sealed the deal.

If I had to do it all over again playing through F2P beta, and having the cash now? I'd probably do it. I think the changes that came with season 5 are, overall, pretty good. I'm having fun playing again like I was back when we were getting featured episodes, and soon those will be starting back up again.

The real question is, do you see any other games on the horizon that will take up your time? If you're going to be checking out new releases in the coming months, I'd hold off to see how things play out. Something else might grab your attention and take hold. Having STO as a casual MMO isn't bad, but I wouldn't want to pay for a lifetime sub if I'm not playing it regularly.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Is getting a life worth it? Yes, lmao. Get off the game and go for a run ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ive not regretted my lifetime sub and its going cheap so id be happy to buy it now, if i was not already but its down to individual preference. i expect the game to be here for several year, i like to try and get everything i can so vet rewards are important to me and the stipend is something i would use every month easily.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This title is so misleading.