test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

700 Day Android

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
Can it be a Tactical officer? That would be swell. Of course, the option to choose at the time it's claimed would be nice too.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Curs0r wrote: »
    Can it be a Tactical officer? That would be swell. Of course, the option to choose at the time it's claimed would be nice too.

Choosing would be the best.
    edited November 2011
    Be nice if we got to choose, but most likely we will be getting a reward Engineering BOFF since we got 2 Reward Sci BOFFs (Reman and Borg) and a Tactical (Breen). And the Liberated Borg BOFF's been around since launch, so Engineer is due in the line up.
    edited November 2011
    Azurian wrote: »
    Be nice if we got to choose, but most likely we will be getting a reward Engineering BOFF since we got 2 Reward Sci BOFFs (Reman and Borg) and a Tactical (Breen). And the Liberated Borg BOFF's been around since launch, so Engineer is due in the line up.

woah woah woah, what science borg boff?
    edited November 2011
    Zehra wrote:
    woah woah woah, what science borg boff?

The Liberated Borg BOFF you unlock when doing Khitomer Accords. It's been in game since Khitomer Accords were added nearly a year and a half ago.

And yes, its still there with the new F2P STF revamp.
    edited November 2011
    The one you get from doing Khitomer Accord...
    edited November 2011
    Oh....looks like I need to do that mission. My bad.
    edited November 2011
    Really want to be able to choose, but if it's up for a vote, definitely Tactical.

NO MORE SCIENCE BO'S!
    edited November 2011
    Really want to be able to choose, but if it's up for a vote, definitely Tactical.

NO MORE SCIENCE BO'S!

since the community wants it to be of variable class, that means it won't. since the community wants it to have hard to get skills, that means it won't. since the community wants it to be customizable, that means it won't.

unless all the rp'ers and pve'er's and pvp'ers get together with some massive writing input. but that will never happen because the rp'ers do thing to spite themselves, the pve'rs do thing to spite everyone else, and the pvp'ers do thing to spite other pvp'ers.
    edited November 2011
    There's no technical reason they can't make it so we can choose. The vendor for Aenar and Caitians allows you to do so, and even lets you pick gender.

No sensible reason I can think of for not letting us choose.
    edited November 2011

We're talking about who again?
    edited November 2011
    There's no technical reason they can't make it so we can choose. The vendor for Aenar and Caitians allows you to do so, and even lets you pick gender.

How do you let people have one per alt that can be dismissed and reclaimed if you offer a choice?
    edited November 2011

Cryptic sensible? Your hope of spotting a flying Porker in the sky just hit 100%

Choices such as what you've described have a better chance of winding up on the CStore rather than in our 700 day reward. They'll probably give it to us, only to have it removed at the last minute while mooning us in the process, lol.
    edited November 2011

It'd be best of they did it this way, including gender choice, or gender appearance in the case of an Android I suppose.
    How do you let people have one per alt that can be dismissed and reclaimed if you offer a choice?

By letting you have multiple items to claim the Boff from a vendor, but making the actual Boff unique per char, like the Reman and Breen boffs. Once you've commissioned your Android boff, extra claim items would just use up inventory space until you dismiss it.
    edited November 2011
    By letting you have multiple items to claim the Boff from a vendor, but making the actual Boff unique per char, like the Reman and Breen boffs. Once you've commissioned your Android boff, extra claim items would just use up inventory space until you dismiss it.

You can buy an Android BOff at any time for free after 700 days. However, you CANNOT buy one if you already have one. Dismiss the one you have and then you can claim another one. It shouldn't be that hard to code in.
    edited November 2011
    I don't think the tech exists so that, for example, a sci android will prevent you from having an engineering android.

For example, each of the diplo defector BOffs is unique but you can have one of each because having one kind doesn't block you from having another. (I have two Gorn tacs -- ground and space trait versions -- and a gorn engineer.)

They couldn't stop you from claiming the sci android if you had the tac with current tech.

Of course, given CBS' misgivings about evolved androids being too common, I still think the best solution might be for androids to:

- Be a single, classless BO usable in any slot.
    - Have 4 ground ensign skills and 4 space ensign skills but have access to any class's skills.
    - Have 4 superior ground strength and durability traits.

I think that sortof reinforces these androids as dumb but versatile, as powerful soldier but lacking in human ingenuity. The kind of android that can do a little of everything but which could be outsmarted by human opponent.
    edited November 2011
    Zehra wrote:
    Choosing would be the best.

^ This. We should have a list of Tac, Sci, and Eng, and just choose one of them. :cool:
    edited November 2011

Im still waiting on a sensible reason why we can't modify the looks of our photonic officer.

Lets face it, this one is a freebie, they'll rush it out half done at best. Us getting a choice? Not unless we buy the C-store version.
    edited November 2011
    It'd be best of they did it this way, including gender choice, or gender appearance in the case of an Android I suppose.

Fully functional.
    edited November 2011
    Malifae wrote:
    Fully functional.

I was thinking more of preventing mass Data-clones (by have the choice for more diversity) but whatever floats your boat buddy :P
    edited November 2011
    if this theoretical android boof we would all want is a real android.....make it a universal bridge officer. allow it to learn any abilities you want, allow it to fill any slot you have. just don't allow non slot abilities to work, so no eng team 3 on a defiant or anything super whackie like that, but i can use it as a sci officer in space and a tac on the ground, or most importiantly allow the droid to use all possible ground powers. medical tri3 and suppressing fire with the ability to bring in a turret to aid you. There is no reason this can't work well. its not going to break pvp since the ship slots will only take powers for that slot (just make people pick a power set for any universal officer slot) and boofs are rarely if ever used in ground pvp
    edited November 2011
    I was thinking more of preventing mass Data-clones (by have the choice for more diversity) but whatever floats your boat buddy :P

I belive that wont happen... CBS refused Data-Type androids in the game I belive.
    edited November 2011
    if this theoretical android boof we would all want is a real android.....make it a universal bridge officer. allow it to learn any abilities you want, allow it to fill any slot you have. just don't allow non slot abilities to work, so no eng team 3 on a defiant or anything super whackie like that, but i can use it as a sci officer in space and a tac on the ground, or most importiantly allow the droid to use all possible ground powers. medical tri3 and suppressing fire with the ability to bring in a turret to aid you. There is no reason this can't work well. its not going to break pvp since the ship slots will only take powers for that slot (just make people pick a power set for any universal officer slot) and boofs are rarely if ever used in ground pvp

This is interesting.

Of course, it would mimick the functionality of a universal ship slot if its abilities were all lower ranked.

The simplest approach I can see to automate this kind of downranking is to give the android a flat 40% effectiveness reduction in all abilities. This basically makes a Rank III ability perform as though it were a Rank II ability.

So you could use an android's tactical powers at a science station this way but they would perform as though they were a rank lower.

In turn, this might be compensated for both by the android's versatility and by the presence of four superior traits, 3 ground (to simulate physical durability as a core feature) and maybe a superior efficient trait to incentivize using the android in space.

Overall, this gives the impression of an android that is versatility but lacking in human nuance and ingenuity, the kind of android Kirk would short circuit by asking it what love is.

Maybe down the road, have an "Emotion Chip" upgrade that removes the 40% ability penalty but lengthens ability cooldowns slightly as well as higher than average susceptibility to seduce,placate and confuse.

If they really wanted to make it fun, instead of lengthening ability cooldowns, androids with an emotion chips would simply have the chance to misfire an ability and an instrumental version of the "Lifeforms" song from Generations would play.

Overall, I kinda like the idea of emotionless androids as versatile but somewhat deficient in terms of raw ability output with traits that make them highly durable and a form of efficient thrown in.

In turn, emotional androids would ditch the raw power drawback, retain the versatility, but be extremely susceptible to seduces, confuses, fear, and placate and have a chance at ability misfires.

Maybe you could have a means of activating or deactivating the emotion chip to toggle between the choice of penalties, eitherof which balance for the super-high durability and ability to multiclass.
    edited November 2011
    I think is should be a TAC with a new skill "Torp Spread 4"
    edited November 2011
    They could give you a choice that you could only have one active. You could choose from a engineer or tactical android. If you chose tactical the engineer couldn't be accessed until you dismissed the tactical officer. They should also let you choose it's sex in the tailor. You could have a data type android or Lal. It should also have efficient.

This should have a little more customization options since it's almost a two year reward. They could at least throw us this bone. It could be seen as a olive branch and might even convince some to keep subscribing to collect it.
    edited November 2011

This. And if they let us choose, then everyone wont be running around with the exact same 2 or 3 boffs.
    edited November 2011
    Englebert wrote:
    This should have a little more customization options since it's almost a two year reward. They could at least throw us this bone. It could be seen as a olive branch and might even convince some to keep subscribing to collect it.

Visually, you will be able to chose gender, and you will get the full range of options that Aliens currently have, so you can have them look like whatever sort of Android you want. (Plus, we are working on a couple more bits to add on)
    edited November 2011
    Englebert wrote:
    They could at least throw us this bone. It could be seen as a olive branch and might even convince some to keep subscribing to collect it.

yes as they would never just announce their previous reward promises void, and simply remove them..oh wait
    mhighison wrote: »
    Visually, you will be able to chose gender, and you will get the full range of options that Aliens currently have, so you can have them look like whatever sort of Android you want. (Plus, we are working on a couple more bits to add on)

Sorry but empty promises become kind of stale around here lately. Instead of talking about the awesomsauce things you think about doing one day with something that you cannot really talk about. How about talking about things you are doing for the 250 emblems of the 500 days reward, that some players received and others were simply cheated out of...
    edited November 2011

Please Data First Contact-style exposed robot bits.Please First Contact style exposed robot bits. Also, a prototype Lal style head would rock.

That's really exciting, though, as it means we can get choices just like Lal did. I'm halfway tempted to go for the funky Andorian look that Lal contemplated:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Lal_as_Andorian.jpg
    edited November 2011

So I'm presuming that the vet reward is really a very rare alien boff that's labeled as an Android, having one or more interesting traits?
    edited November 2011
    So I'm presuming that the vet reward is really a very rare alien boff that's labeled as an Android, having one or more interesting traits?

Yay very rare alien BO