test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Regarding the Emblem to Dilithium Conversion

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
This is mostly to the players as opposed to the devs (as this is not a complaint). First, I just want to say please keep the thread civil. I am not wanting to discuss whether Dilithium is a good idea or not, and I do not want to discuss the 500 day veteran reward. Please keep those topics in seperate threads.

Now, on topic, I recently just gave up and accepted that dilithium is staying, more or less how it is now. There may be some tweaks, but Cryptic is not going to budge on using it everywhere. So with that in mind, I transferred my holo

main over, and was initially disappointed by the dilithium I received. I have seen threads here saying how it should be close to 480 dilithium per emblem based on mission rewards, so decided to check out the conversion myself.

Now, one thing that is bothering me with people on the forum is the whole picture isnt being discussed. Everyone is talking about how much dilithium you get compared to emblems from missions, but not how much stuff costs between the two. And in my opinion, purchasing power is just as important on the amount of your income (emblems obtained in this case). So I gathered the data below to take a look at the differences between the two:

=============================
Emblems
Carei @ ESD
Away Team Weapons Mk XI (purple) - 25 Emblems
Away Team Equipment Mk XI (purple) - 30 Emblems
Ship Weapons Mk XI (purple) - 30 Emblems
Ship Equipment Mk XI (purple) - 105 Emblems
Ship Consoles Mk XI (blue) - 25 Emblems
Ships (4 Fed/KDF) - 500 Emblems

Marks of Exploration/Marks of Honor
Away Team Weapons Mk X (purple) – 4 MoE/MoH
Away Team Equipment Mk X (purple) – 5 MoE/MoH
Personal Kits Mk X (purple) – 24 MoE/MoH
Ship Weapons Mk X (purple) – 7 MoE/MoH
Ship Equipment Mk X (purple) – 52 MoE/MoH
Ships (2 Fed) - 500 Marks of Exploration

Marks of Valor
Away Team Weapons (+ damage vs Borg) – 35 Marks of Valor
Away Team Equipment – 70 Marks of Valor
Personal Kits – 70 Marks of Valor
Ship Weapons (+ damage vs Borg) – 35 Marks of Valor
Ship Equipment – 70 Marks of Valor
Dilithium
Carei @ ESD (Emblem exchange)
Away Team Weapons Mk XI (purple) - 11,350 Dilithium (454 Dil/Emb)
Away Team Equipment Mk XI (purple) - 7,555 Dilithium (252 Dil/Emb)
Ship Weapons Mk XI (purple) - 22,620 Dilithium (754 Dil/Emb)
Ship Equipment Mk XI (purple) - 45,350 Dilithium (432 Dil/Emb)
Ship Consoles Mk XI (blue) - 11,350 Dilithium (454 Dil/Emb)

Xindok @ BGO (Marks of Exploration exchange) and K-9 (Marks of Honor exchange)
Away Team Weapons Mk X (purple) – 11,340 Dilithium (2835 Dil/Mark) - 7,560 Dilithium for AntiProton (1890 Dil/Mark)
Away Team Equipment Mk X (purple) – 5,040 Dilithium (1008 Dil/Mark)
Personal Kits Mk X (purple) – 10,100 Dilithium (421 Dil/Mark)
Ship Weapons Mk X (purple) – 22,690 Dilithium (3241 Dil/Mark) - 15,125 Dilithium for AntiProton (2161 Dil/Mark)
Ship Equipment Mk X (purple) – 30,250 Dilithium (582 Dil/Mark)

Marks of Valor
None - Not Available in Tribble

Ships
Many through all tiers all at varying costs, not going to list them all

Dilithium Exchange
Dilithium can be exchanged with other players through CPoints. Emblems are bound permanently

I may have missed a few things, but think I got most of the obtainable stuff for each...

Now, after looking at that data, something occured to me... Why is everyone complaining about the exchange rate?

What I mean is, you have emblems now... you lose purchasing power due to the conversion rate, but why don't you just spend everything now? If you know you'll soon need consoles for an alt, buy them now. Same goes for most of the gear above, much of it is not bound. Now, if you are wanting a higher exchange rate in order to do things you currently can't do with emblems (exchange for CPoints, more ships, use for crafting)... well, I don't see how you can complain, as you are gaining the ability to use dilithium in places emblems could not be used. If you don't like dilithium in crafting, complain about crafting, not the exchange rate. If you are complaining that how you can buy 8 consoles in holo, and only 5 in tribble, then just buy the 8 in holo and be done with it, if you know what you want, buy it, if you dont know, then figure that out.

Anyway, based on the above, solely based on the fact that the stuff the Marks of Valor vender was selling is no longer there in any form (other than running STFs and the new Borg Ground invasion), I am leaning toward just spending my emblems on [Borg] gear on my characters, as I've pretty much decided that is the best value for what I want. It may be different for others

I mainly was just posting this so hopefully the above info helps others decide what they want to do before December rolls around.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    i'm neutral on that dilithium story because i think i have enough ressources and i don't have to grind stuff for the next year (at least if they don't raise the level cap twice which is unlikely) ..

.. but i can understand if some ppl. are mad about it. the thing is that you don't get a 1:1 conversion for your grind you've done on holodeck. on top of that some prices were raised (ship weapons tribble: 22,620, holodeck: 14400 based on a 1:480 ratio).

in short: your bank balance is lowered and prices go up.
    edited November 2011
    H.Ramone wrote:
    i'm neutral on that dilithium story because i think i have enough ressources and i don't have to grind stuff for the next year (at least if they don't raise the level cap twice which is unlikely) ..

.. but i can understand if some ppl. are mad about it. the thing is that you don't get a 1:1 conversion for your grind you've done on holodeck. on top of that some prices were raised (ship weapons tribble: 22,620, holodeck: 14400 based on a 1:480 ratio).

in short: your bank balance is lowered and prices go up.

And at the same time, if you look at what I posted, most prices were lowered, based on 480:1 ratio. In fact, ship weapons is the only thing that WASNT lowered in cost (and honestly, they always seemed a lot cheaper than they should have been).

But again, people should be complaining about the increase in cost of ship weapons, as opposed to complain about the conversion ratio.

And in addition, as I said in my original post, if you want those ship weapons, just go buy them now. There is NO reason to wait for the F2P build to arrive if that's what you want... it's not like they aren't informing anyone on the new prices... they've been pretty transparent, and have left a lot of time for people to figure out what to buy with their emblems, or if they would rather have a boost in dilithium to start out.

I'm still not seeing the big deal about the bad emblem->dilithium conversion ratio...
    edited November 2011
    Sardoc wrote:
    And at the same time, if you look at what I posted, most prices were lowered, based on 480:1 ratio. In fact, ship weapons is the only thing that WASNT lowered in cost (and honestly, they always seemed a lot cheaper than they should have been).

But again, people should be complaining about the increase in cost of ship weapons, as opposed to complain about the conversion ratio.

And in addition, as I said in my original post, if you want those ship weapons, just go buy them now. There is NO reason to wait for the F2P build to arrive if that's what you want... it's not like they aren't informing anyone on the new prices... they've been pretty transparent, and have left a lot of time for people to figure out what to buy with their emblems, or if they would rather have a boost in dilithium to start out.

I'm still not seeing the big deal about the bad emblem->dilithium conversion ratio...

But thats not the point the point is the coversion, if i have a dallor and you gave me 75 penies for my dallor do you think that is fair, nope, if my dallors is worth 100 penies i want 100 penies not 75. and i am from the US so I am useing US currency as example, so those in other countries just simply look at your typr currency, if its worth so much you want that much not just 75% of what its worth.
    edited November 2011
    But thats not the point the point is the coversion, if i have a dallor and you gave me 75 penies for my dallor do you think that is fair, nope, if my dallors is worth 100 penies i want 100 penies not 75. and i am from the US so I am useing US currency as example, so those in other countries just simply look at your typr currency, if its worth so much you want that much not just 75% of what its worth.

The thing is, it's not quite like that. You have a US dollar now, and later, you're exchanging it for Euros (or some other very different currency). Sure, you'll get a different amount of Euros, it's not a 1:1 exchange, but no one complains. Not only that, but something that costs $10 in the US, may cost an equivalent $15 in Europe (converted to Euros of course), or it could cost $7 in Europe. Point is, you exchange currency, you don't get exactly the amount you put in, but your purchasing power is different, so it's hard to tell absolutely which is better.

And in my example above, if an item costs $10 in the US, and $15 in Europe, why buy it in Europe? Just buy it in the US right now, and be done with it. There is no mystery, everyone knows what everything costs, so I still dont get all the complaining :)