test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

We need some REAL damage

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
Regardless of the ship you are flying, when you die you always see the same animation. Your ship floats around until the warp core explodes. I would like to see some real damage similar to when the Defiant was destroyed.

What we need is a few animations for each ship class that allows us to see some real damage. Once the player loses all health they sit there and blow up. But if there are a few left over torpedos heading their direction we see the ship split into pieces.

Thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    I think additional destruction animations would be awesome. Contextual explosions might be kind of complicated, but even adding some variety would be great. Ships wouldn't even have to always 'go critical'. It would add some functionality to Abandon Ship if destroyed ships didn't always automatically explode, but you could ensure they do by hitting the self-destruct on the way out the door.

Ships in the shows often blew up in unique ways, especially if they were hero ships destined to be fixed later by temporal shenanigans. I would like to see some nacelle loss at least, that might be doable with the existing customization skeletons. It's definitely something the tech guys should keep in mind for future tech updates.
    edited November 2011
    Its always fun to see the ship you just killed blow up, adding a couple more explosion animations would just make it more fun.
    edited November 2011
    Need to see bodies flying out.
    edited November 2011
    They could sell explosions in the C-Store.
    edited November 2011
    Maybe not even blown up? Maybe sometimes it just to the point where it's dead in space, adrift with its crew crapping themselves, or escape pods leaving it...
    edited November 2011
    I'd also love to see Battle Damage take much longer to repair itself. It would be nice to see a few ships come back to ESD banged up like the Enterprise returning in ST:III
    edited November 2011
    Remove the self-destruct ability and apply that animation on a chance when death occurs.

Sometimes you will die and the folks will abandon ship with escape pods, othertimes the ship will simply explode or it will just LITERALLY fall apart with bits being shot off.

This is a prime example of battle damage being awesome
    edited November 2011
    I'd be happy with non-symmetrical battle damage on our ships to start with. Always bothered me how the damage on one side of my ship is in the same exact place on the other side.

Location specific would be rad. Take it a step further by changing the texture used based on what kind of weapon was used (either torpedo or energy).
    edited November 2011
    I wouldn't mind some minigames as an optionto fix battle damage. Use the anomaly-collecting minigame style (wave-matching) as one where you "Reinforce the warp core forcefield" at a ship repair place, for example.
    edited November 2011
    I agree. To see hole in a saucer section like those two in the Enterprise A during the final ballte near Khitomer or to shoot out a warp nacelle as did Enterprise to Reliant in the Mutara nebula would be awesome. On the other hand I would like to see not every single ship to blow out. To be honest, ships blowing up are quite rare in Star Trek. See the Wolf 359 battlefield. Many wreckages, but a few blown to pieces. And to be honest, it would be more logical to scan the wreck for a loot than to see a yellow something appear out of a thin air to be collected.
    edited November 2011
    Regardless of the ship you are flying, when you die you always see the same animation. Your ship floats around until the warp core explodes. I would like to see some real damage similar to when the Defiant was destroyed.

What we need is a few animations for each ship class that allows us to see some real damage. Once the player loses all health they sit there and blow up. But if there are a few left over torpedos heading their direction we see the ship split into pieces.

Thoughts?

actually if u fly a shiip with wings (LRSV or BOP) sometimes the ship will blow up in 1 piece or a wing nacell will fly off and blow up seperatly from the rest of the ship.
    edited November 2011
    I noticed the Klingon Bird of Prey has a unique animation,that doesn't seem to fire of fevery time.
    Sometime the wings get seperated and drift off in the explosion.
    edited November 2011
    Explosions need to be about 200% more epic

try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOoedZ8qR9I&hd=1

(hard to believe they did this engine 7 years ago on 7 year old hardware...)

jkstocbr wrote:
    I'd also love to see Battle Damage take much longer to repair itself. It would be nice to see a few ships come back to ESD banged up like the Enterprise returning in ST:III

that would be something for the difficulty slider on Elite -> critical injuries and visual damage...
    then you have to fly into one of these little Spacedocks to repair it....

hey wait a second Star Trek legacy had something like that!

here it is: https://picasaweb.google.com/107690288451082557730/StarTrekLegacy#5464088952565500098

(bad screen but it's proof of concept ;P)
    edited November 2011
    Another good example. This scene gave me goosebumps first time I saw it.
    edited November 2011
    Z3R0B4NG wrote: »
    Explosions need to be about 200% more epic

try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOoedZ8qR9I&hd=1

(hard to believe they did this engine 7 years ago on 7 year old hardware...)

that would be something for the difficulty slider on Elite -> critical injuries and visual damage...
    then you have to fly into one of these little Spacedocks to repair it....

hey wait a second Star Trek legacy had something like that!

here it is: https://picasaweb.google.com/107690288451082557730/StarTrekLegacy#5464088952565500098

(bad screen but it's proof of concept ;P)

or this! u gotta love the pure white confeti-ish explosions from TNG
    edited November 2011
    or this! u gotta love the pure white confeti-ish explosions from TNG

That raises another option. We need to see the core get ejected from time to time when health gets low. So instead of just blowing up, you see your core eject and it just blows up while you drift until the respawn recharges.
    edited November 2011
    That raises another option. We need to see the core get ejected from time to time when health gets low. So instead of just blowing up, you see your core eject and it just blows up while you drift until the respawn recharges.

oh so kinda like "i'm dead" but if my core ejects which it should 10% of the time then i can respawn where i was killed w/o having to fly back from actuall spawn point.
    edited November 2011
    oh so kinda like "i'm dead" but if my core ejects which it should 10% of the time then i can respawn where i was killed w/o having to fly back from actuall spawn point.

Yes and when they finally add the Ambassador, they need to have it have a 10% chance of creating a time vortex that allows it to completely heal just as it is about to be destroyed. But it then applies 10% hull debuff.
    edited November 2011
    Yes and when they finally add the Ambassador, they need to have it have a 10% chance of creating a time vortex that allows it to completely heal just as it is about to be destroyed. But it then applies 10% hull debuff.

No too much heal there. Maybe 50% max. problem is if it had to much heal klingon PVP would complain way to hard. and combine that with and ENG's miracle worker hoooooooooooo.
    edited November 2011
    They could sell explosions in the C-Store.

Dont give them ideas... :(
    edited November 2011

One of many examples why DS9 was the best series. Wouldn't have seen a suicide run like that on TNG, well not as much as we did on DS9 during the war at any rate.