test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Possibility of New Factions?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I've browsed the boards for a while and I just figured I would reiterate questions that haven't popped up for a while but I'm sure has been on several players' minds. We have the Federation and KDF but what about other race/factions? Last I looked there were 7 factions. I know Borg would be difficult but are there plans to bring the others as played in the future?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    I'm afraid all you will get on this is lip-service alluding to the possibility that maybe one day there might be a remote outside chance that sometime in the future it may be decided that another faction is a possibility.

Until then, keep asking for it. It might happen!
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Hmm Far as I know the devs have never said how many factions they want in the game....

Romulans & Hirogen (most likely next anyway.)
    True Way (Spoon heads,Jem;hadar,Kazon? :P)

Look up nagus' mini faction idea, that could work with pretty much all the cool minor races.

Breen
    Tholian
    Terran Empire.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    this question seems to pop up every two or three weeks so im not sure about it not being asked in a while.

yes they want to add them but dont hold your breath, its a huge task and they still need to finish the klingons off. latter parts of 2013 at the earliest i would guess at
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Romulan was chosen over a year aog to be the next one AFTER the Klingons are built up...so I'd wait a few years, if the game even lasts taht long now. :rolleyes: :(
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    No chance of new factions. They can barely make and manage the Feds let alone the Klingons.

Romulans would logically be the next race to become a new race but they will be a glorified PVP faction ike the Klingons. I would rather have the Dominion become a faction since it allows them to open up the Gamma Quadrant and present a bigger faction complete with brand new stuff.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Well its fun to think about it but for now, and at least a full year im sure. Its prob not gonna be on the mind of the devs.

Romulan/cardassian were both on the engineering reports for a long long time. But now Dstahl has left and there are none because they r busy with the whole F2P deal.

And please, dont ever mention Playable borg, or even hint at it. For the love of all thats still good and true, they better not TRIBBLE over the borg legacy as being some of the greatest enemies in a science fiction series, by making them playable.

Getting worked up about it just thinking bout it.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    J-Sheridan wrote:
    No chance of new factions. They can barely make and manage the Feds let alone the Klingons.

Romulans would logically be the next race to become a new race but they will be a glorified PVP faction ike the Klingons. I would rather have the Dominion become a faction since it allows them to open up the Gamma Quadrant and present a bigger faction complete with brand new stuff.

Lies... They should make the Terran empire...

copy and paste the galaxy... mark up Spoon Head,Federation,Deferi and most of Romulan space as Terran Space.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    With Klingons being pushed back to Lvl 25 it stands to reason that the same will happen to a future faction. And being at Lvl 25 means slightly less content is needed for the KDF to be on par with the Feds. The way I see it, a new faction could be closer than some people think, after all it's a new set of ships to buy for 1600-2000cp. :p:D

But seriously, I think looking at STO so far I too doubt they could manage 3 factions.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    this question seems to pop up every two or three weeks so im not sure about it not being asked in a while.

Or once a week...

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=234146

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=232612
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I think we will see a third faction some day. I particularly like the tri-faction approach to pvp. Where two minority factions in terms of population can work towards defeating the primary. I just don't see Klingons aligning with Romulans any time soon though.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Please stop saying Romulan & Hirogen, it's insulting to Romulans, we've already been kicked enough. We'll team up with the Klingons after we've leveled their great hall.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Keioel wrote: »
    Please stop saying Romulan & Hirogen, it's insulting to Romulans, we've already been kicked enough. We'll team up with the Klingons after we've leveled their great hall.

like it or not... the Hirogen are allies of the Romulans now... so.. obey or else.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Keioel wrote: »

Nah, Romulans will team up with the Iconians... after Sela is converted naturally.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    like it or not... the Hirogen are allies of the Romulans now... so.. obey or else.

I kinda like it tbh. Ide love to play an Hirogen in the romulan factions. ... thats just me i guess :)
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I recognize that having the Hirogen as part of the Romulan Empire is an inevitability given the Cryptic-Canon, but I'll treat them like Federation Pakled and Klingon Trill.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    How about a Up to par Klingon faction first?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Keioel wrote:

Also do not mention the Remans either. Nemesis was a big kick in the teeth of the true Romulan Star Empire. Trek 2009 just finished the job by blowing the RSE up.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Cryptic will do as little as possible as far as content and charge as much as they can in the C-store and add as much there as they can.

Cryptic is not very reputable in their delivering what they say they will do.:mad:
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Jermbot wrote: »
    I recognize that having the Hirogen as part of the Romulan Empire is an inevitability given the Cryptic-Canon, but I'll treat them like Federation Pakled and Klingon Trill.

You mean the famous "airlock treatment"? (The Cure for all Diseases)

The way I see it, a new faction could be closer than some people think, after all it's a new set of ships to buy for 1600-2000cp. :p:D

This.
    An D'deridex, Mogai or Scimitar-Class Ship would sell well on the Stores (the same for Dominion Ships etc...) so i bet we will see them in the Free to Play Store sooner or later.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Call me selfish but I only want to play Federation. I'd prefer they make new content for the existing factions than expand to create content for six or seven.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    In STO's F2P matrix, the Silver players have 1 Fed slot and 1 Klingon slot. Where would you put any other faction character? Buy a dedicated slot for the 3rd, etc, factions? :rolleyes:

I've given up hope that playable Romulans will ever be introduced to STO. I have no faith in PWI / Cryptic bringing any other independently playable faction into STO. :(

For this lifer, with this loss of faith and hope, I've also lost interest in continuing to support STO or Cryptic. :(
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Pyryck wrote:
    In STO's F2P matrix, the Silver players have 1 Fed slot and 1 Klingon slot. Where would you put any other faction character? Buy a dedicated slot for the 3rd, etc, factions? :rolleyes:

I've given up hope that playable Romulans will ever be introduced to STO. I have no faith in PWI / Cryptic bringing any other independently playable faction into STO. :(

For this lifer, with this loss of faith and hope, I've also lost interest in continuing to support STO or Cryptic. :(

Actually, didn't they more or less say they were going to add the Romulans eventually?

I just hope it's a Romulan, Cardassian, Hirogen, Reman faction because that way we don't ever need another.

Though I fully expect fans to go, "We want a Borg Faction!'
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Actually, didn't they more or less say they were going to add the Romulans eventually?

I just hope it's a Romulan, Cardassian, Hirogen, Reman faction because that way we don't ever need another.

Though I fully expect fans to go, "We want a Borg Faction!'

Not gonna happen. Cryptic can claim Romulans are gonna be in the game all they want but their repuatation is at such a poor point that I wouldnt even believe Romulans were going to be in the game if it was on Tribble.

Borg Faction ? - We already have it with the Borg Boffs, Seven Of Nine, Borg Sets and Liberated Borg

The only thing really missing is being able to fly Borg ships... I'm sure Cryptic can be convinced to put that in the C-Store for $4000 C-Points.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    O-KAY.

I'll bear that in mind.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I'd pay 4k c-points for a tac-cube. Kind of kidding... kind of serious. A borg faction would be cool, after they flesh out KDF, RSE and Cardassian Union. TRIBBLE the content, they could just have assimilation grind missions and give skill points for pvp...

...but back on topic I personally feel that they should start working on RSE now or soon. I don't care about KDF content not being complete (and they're my favorite faction). Honestly. How many books or episodes were written or filmed purely from the standpoint of Klingons? Give me a percentage. Sure, there should be some fluff, but just to re-iterate, this is a game based off of a universe that revolves around The United Federation of Planets. Believe me when I say I'd like nothing else but to play the game entirely from the viewpoint of a Klingon empire soldier, but to demand it, or even expect it, is just odd to me. To suggest there should be as much content, in another faction, as the Federation is unreasonable, and unrealistic, and [giving in to] that demand is probably what led to them ignoring pvp, which is what new factions should be based around, for the most part.

Want storyline? Play federation. Want to mill around and be the other side killing Fed? Play Klingon or Romulan or even Cardassian Union. Hell throw Borg in there. Make the entire neutral zone open pvp. That's canon, anyway. There's multiple examples of ships being fired upon, without warning, due to treaty violation on entering the wrong space.

I'm not saying Fed's should be allowed to romp around into KDF space (or vice-versa) and that be an invitation to fire on, or have a fleet-led invasion of, anyone's territory (that's an invitation for griefing, after all) but certainly there should be some open pvp raiding events.

Just my humble opinion. I'd be surprised if it hadn't been brought up before.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I'd pay 4k c-points for a tac-cube. Kind of kidding... kind of serious. A borg faction would be cool, after they flesh out KDF, RSE and Cardassian Union. TRIBBLE the content, they could just have assimilation grind missions and give skill points for pvp...

...but back on topic I personally feel that they should implement RSE now or soon. I don't care about KDF content not being complete (and they're my favorite faction). Honestly. How many books or episodes were written or filmed purely from the standpoint of Klingons? Give me a percentage. Sure, there should be some fluff, but just to re-iterate, this is a game based off of a universe that revolves around The United Federation of Planets. Believe me when I say I'd like nothing else but to play the game entirely from the viewpoint of a Klingon empire soldier, but to demand it, or even expect it, is just odd to me. To suggest there should be as much content, in another faction, as the Federation is unreasonable, and unrealistic, and [giving in to] that demand is probably what led to them ignoring pvp, which is what new factions should be based around, for the most part.

Want storyline? Play federation. Want to mill around and be the other side killing Fed? Play Klingon or Romulan or even Cardassian Union. Hell throw Borg in there. Make the entire neutral zone open pvp. That's canon, anyway. There's multiple examples of ships being fired upon, without warning, due to treaty violation on entering the wrong space.

I'm not saying Fed's should be allowed to romp around into KDF space (or vice-versa) and that be an invitation to fire on, or have a fleet-led invasion of, anyone's territory (that's an invitation for griefing, after all) but certainly there should be some open pvp raiding events.

Just my humble opinion. I'd be surprised if it hadn't been brought up before.

Nothing new.
    But I'd like to point out that percentage is not really relevant otherwise there would not have been several other computer games that gave factions besides the Federation as much room as the Feds themselves, not to mention two games that revolve entirely around the Klingons.
    Based on your logic those games should not exist at all.
    Arguing about how much should be in a computer game based on what was shown on TV, which operates under a totally diferent set of rules since it has a completely different target audience is rather out of place.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    What i would like to see is before they add new race's to the game they sould finnish parts of the game that is not done.Like a real pvp system that has meaning and risk and reward to it.After that is done then bring in a new race would would feel right.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I will never obey or accept Hirogen anyone playing a Hirogen will be auto ignored. As to the Remans, yeah but that cat's WAY out of the bag and at least it is kinda cannon.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    mister_dee wrote:
    Nothing new.
    But I'd like to point out that percentage is not really relevant otherwise there would not have been several other computer games that gave factions besides the Federation as much room as the Feds themselves, not to mention two games that revolve entirely around the Klingons.
    Based on your logic those games should not exist at all.
    Arguing about how much should be in a computer game based on what was shown on TV, which operates under a totally diferent set of rules since it has a completely different target audience is rather out of place.

Yeah I suppose that's a pretty good point. I didn't take into account the different target audience, and just assumed a star trek fan was the same across the board.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Yeah I suppose that's a pretty good point. I didn't take into account the different target audience, and just assumed a star trek fan was the same across the board.

Sure they are, but not all Trek fans play games and not all who play a Trek game and actually enjoy it are by necessity Trek fans so the demographics of it differ in rather drastic ways.