test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Serious Issue With Ship Rewards

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Will a Dev please explain to me the purpose of removing the ship plaques from promotions and replacing them with Dilithium?

Here is my issue. When F2P ver 1 launched, we did not receive enough dilithium to purchase a ship at the next level upon promotion. So, I leveled my Connie Refit to RALH2 to save up enough dilithium to be able to purchase a VA ship. Well, F2P ver 2 rolled out tonight and I thought if I continued to level to RAUH I would receive a "discount" token to purchase a ship. This did not happen. Since I was already a RA when ver 2 was pushed, I was not eligible for the previous discounts. So now I can either purchase a CDR level ship to run RA/VA missions or continue to level to VA with my Connie Refit!

Honestly, this is all way too confusing, even for me, a seasoned player. Can you imagine how a Silver player would feel? One word, confused and probably not leaning towards paying for the game or purchasing micro-transactions.

I understand the business idea Cryptic is trying to achieve here. If Silver players are short on dilithium, they can purchase it from the C-store or grind it out; most will purchase it from the C-store. However, when things get too confusing for players to understand (because your discount does not show up until AFTER you get promoted), they tend not to be continued customers. I think this deserves a serious look since most of STO action takes place onboard a ship and not having the proper Tier ship at the proper time will drive customers away.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    But the free ship plaques are just too confusing for us stupid players. We need ships with prices locked behind ridiculous amounts of grind that can only be afforded by a grant of dilithium AND a discount voucher COMBINED with dilithium that we farmed for ourselves. Can't you see how much simpler a system that is?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Armyflyboy wrote:
    Will a Dev please explain to me the purpose of removing the ship plaques from promotions and replacing them with Dilithium?

Here is my issue. When F2P ver 1 launched, we did not receive enough dilithium to purchase a ship at the next level upon promotion. So, I leveled my Connie Refit to RALH2 to save up enough dilithium to be able to purchase a VA ship. Well, F2P ver 2 rolled out tonight and I thought if I continued to level to RAUH I would receive a "discount" token to purchase a ship. This did not happen. Since I was already a RA when ver 2 was pushed, I was not eligible for the previous discounts. So now I can either purchase a CDR level ship to run RA/VA missions or continue to level to VA with my Connie Refit!

Honestly, this is all way too confusing, even for me, a seasoned player. Can you imagine how a Silver player would feel? One word, confused and probably not leaning towards paying for the game or purchasing micro-transactions.

I understand the business idea Cryptic is trying to achieve here. If Silver players are short on dilithium, they can purchase it from the C-store or grind it out; most will purchase it from the C-store. However, when things get too confusing for players to understand (because your discount does not show up until AFTER you get promoted), they tend not to be continued customers. I think this deserves a serious look since most of STO action takes place onboard a ship and not having the proper Tier ship at the proper time will drive customers away.

Same trouble here. Because I was RA, lower before the patch, no token recived.
    I just made RA, upper, neither token OR Delitihium recived.

Now, I'm 80k delitihum short for RA ship... that's is.. wait... a freaking lot to grind to get next ship :eek:
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    NickiGraus wrote: »

Now, I'm 80k delitihum short for RA ship... that's is.. wait... a freaking lot to grind to get next ship :eek:

That's only 8 days of dailies and refining dilithium.... except the refining bit is completely broke.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    NickiGraus wrote: »

To be honest, I never saw the point of getting a new ship when you ranked up from RDML to RADM, anyway. You were stuck with the same options that you had at RDML.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Given that they aren't giving tokens for Vice Admirals to get the refit ships, and they aren't available for dilithium at all (it never goes past 'loading' Vice admirals are forced to either grind out 80k in dilithium or pony up for a C-store ship... I thought VAs were supposed to get a new ship... but with the new economy we get NOTHING. That can't be allowed to go to Holodeck. Guess it is time for people to panic level any alts they want to play since the economy become a grindfest... that is if the prospect of the grindfiest isn't enough to drive you away from the game. Log # 7 has me very worried since if someone reads between the lines it could be interperated as 'STO will go P2W so fork over the money' Compared to how other Western MMORPGs have gone F2P, this isn't a good idea as none of the other games have done it like this.

And here is why, this experimental economy will have to be changed unless STO's Devs are going to tell casual players to stop playing the game or quit your job so you have time to work at STO... notice I said WORK not play.

The idea of limiting refined dilithium is good to avoid the EC hyper-inflation, but without an auto-refine feature for at least gold accounts or soemthing else, this game becomes a part time job for people which is NOT casual friendly. Having to grind for what what once free is not casual friendly. This game sounds like it is being turned into a hardcore only game... If I wanted a game that was a job I'd be playing EVE or one of the Asian P2W games... which I've avoided like the plague for a reason. I pla ygames to have fun not work.

I don't know if Cryptic is being pressured by PW or not, but this type of economy won't be embraced by casual gamers in the western hemisphere.

So if the Devs are trying to go for the style of P2W that PW does in the asian market be honest and tell us... the playerbase that doesn't want that can just leave and you'll never hear from us again... If I wanted to play an Asian P2W game I would have taken interest in such games instead of avoiding them like the plague.

Hopefully what we are seeing now is just a test idea that won't make it to Holodeck since i could understand it to be you get a set amount of dilithium, gold accounts get a discount token that covers the gap between what is earned and what is needed for next tier of ship, thus making the ship effectively free and maintaining the promise of not taking away what we already have.

The 7th blog sounds like this game is going to be a P2W for silver accounts that could be accepted, but not for subscribed gold accounts. I don't want to PAY you for the right to have a job... I play games to relax and have fun. Work is not fun. Don't turn STO into a work/job...not unless you want a lot of furious people waling away form the game, some of which will complain to CBS that the Star Trek Franchise is being abused.

it gets worse, to unlock the breen dailies to get dilithium you have to go through all the preceeding series. I ended up hitting VA and I haven't even started the borg series yet. So to get the dailies to get the dilithium you have to progress through content that already assumes you have spent the dilithium. It is a catch-22 for the casual player. That needs to be resolved before this economy goes to Holodeck and drives off the majority of the playerbase while insuring that new players don't become veterans as they get driven off with such a harsh economy. There is still time to fix this problem before it reaches Holodeck. The question is, will the Devs fix it or is it working as intended. Blog #7 indicates a working as intended. That concerns me, and from the feedback I've read it appears to be a concern of a LOT of other people.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    """Guess it is time for people to panic level any alts they want to play since the economy become a grindfest... """"

Exactly. That is what I am doing, beside hoping that F2P will not hit Holodeck before 2012.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I'm a Vice Admiral and I have been forced to still use my Captain ship and my gear are even worse they are a mix of Lt. Cmdr. and Commander, there is one captain item.

I have been without Tactical consoles since start, the missions that is now linked together levels up with you, but the rewards don't, except for a select few.

The Economy has become a real nightmare and the game has become hard and difficult to do, npcs seems to be overpowered.

It also feels like the Feds are leveling way to fast, I became a captain before I could do the Romulan missions and are still ad the early once as Vice Admiral and as I mentioned before those mission don't give rewards fitting to your level but the mission is set to your level which makes the missions time consuming and not worth doing but you are forced to do them to get to the Vice Admiral missions, it's a real game play killer.