test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

gameplay opportunities with dilithium

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I would like to put another spin on our new currency that is a bit more positive.

For the first time in STO were going to have an in game resource that is going to matter, not just in a mi nor way either, but it is going to become a yardstick for both personal progression, and for social dynamics.

I think there are some interesting opportunities with this fact. It would be interesting to see an exploration revamp, with persistant territory control and fleet starbases integrated with dilithium.

Imagine if a fleet could operate a dilithium mine and refinery in an isolated sector of space. Imagine if through defending and holding areas a fleet could construct refineries.

Even further both pve and pvp objectives and systems could be tied in, allowing both types of players and fleets to work towards obtaining dilithium to purchase fleet ships, usable by members and customized with fleet consoles and equipment.

These are just ideas, but hey a nerd can dream. Right?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    I would just prefer the current Holodeck system.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I'd argue that this would almost make the game even more of a 'simplified EVE with ground bits thrown in'.

But then I realize that that's largely a good thing. :p

And honestly, that's what I thought the whole set up was going toward anyway. It would be kindof cool if Dilithium gathered in this manner was limited to the use of just the Fleet, meaning that they could use that to build, improve, and otherwise toy with their starbases, without having the chance to godmod characters themselves.

just a thought.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    /bump definitely need this, i asked for something similar in original beta to gain resources instead of the fly around scan everything system, it would be better to use this for the dilithium system since fleets will have their own starbases why not have their own mining consortiums.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I think the fleet ships thing might make the gameplay more meaningful as well, a fleet ship would only be usable by a fleet member, and almost be like a rental ship, it would require dilithuim to build it, to equip it, and also to continue using it.

The benefit would be it could have unique fleet centric abilities, like able to create transwarp beacons for members to warp to it, or maybe it could repair ships for fleets grouping on elite difficulty, and do the same for medical injuries on board.

The could also make flagships for fleets, and make these very powerful NPC ships that patrol and protect the system that players own. Defense platforms, npc ships...the possibilities are endless.

Basically with a currency that's somewhat tied to the dollar through the exchange, and used for almost everything in game this could definitively add some eve like elements done in a more fun way to suit STO. Eve has some great mechanics that promote fleets and create dynamic player driven endgames.

STO could take some of those concepts, roll in some exploration and more pve aspects and be stting pretty in the endgame department because players would be creating the content by the best possible method in an mmo, social dynamics.

This would also give pvp real meaning, and if combined somehow with exploration, could give interesting potential to pve as well.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I'd argue that this would almost make the game even more of a 'simplified EVE with ground bits thrown in'.

But then I realize that that's largely a good thing. :p

And honestly, that's what I thought the whole set up was going toward anyway. It would be kindof cool if Dilithium gathered in this manner was limited to the use of just the Fleet, meaning that they could use that to build, improve, and otherwise toy with their starbases, without having the chance to godmod characters themselves.

just a thought.

there would for sure have to be some restrictions, but I think STO needs to also get away at some point form the "no one can be better than me" attitude. Progression in an MMO is an important gameplay mechanic, IF a group of players can mine dilithium and become more powerful, then they are playing well, and should reap the rewards.