test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Venture: Why it should have been different!

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
edited October 2011 in Federation Discussion
Just. MAKE THE SAUCER SECTION CIRCULAR! Please god. I want an RA level ship with a damned circular saucer. Bring back the majesty! Burn the traitourous ovoid saucers! Sign if you agree! (The excelsior doesn't count, it's like a billion years old, so correct that to MODERN RA level ship with a circular saucer.)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    I really like the venture, I just wish the saucer seperation was a console so we could use its layout.
    edited September 2011
    I don't mind the Venture having a oval shape. The Envoy has a circular shape. I wish they would make the Ambassador an Exploration Crusier skin. That way there would be five ship parts to choose from. Two ovals and two circulars.
    edited September 2011
    But you can't use that skin on the retrofit! I don't think...
    edited September 2011
    The Venture is a modernised look for the Galaxy. The ovular saucer is one of the defining features of the Galaxy, and it was given the sweeping contours from the bridge to make the updated look seem authentic alongside ships like the sovereign. Even the exaggerated taper on the nacelles is a blend between the Galaxy and newer aesthetics.

The whole basis of the Venture's design is in mimicking the Galaxy's classic features. The one major change is the neck, which improves the look when it has a third nacelle or no saucer (both of which weren't considered when the Galaxy was designed).

A round saucer would require the rest of the ship to change proportions to stop it from looking ridiculous.

There's already a T5 ship with a round saucer, anyway.
    edited September 2011
    Munrock wrote:
    The Venture is a modernised look for the Galaxy. The ovular saucer is one of the defining features of the Galaxy, and it was given the sweeping contours from the bridge to make the updated look seem authentic alongside ships like the sovereign. Even the exaggerated taper on the nacelles is a blend between the Galaxy and newer aesthetics.

The whole basis of the Venture's design is in mimicking the Galaxy's classic features. The one major change is the neck, which improves the look when it has a third nacelle or no saucer (both of which weren't considered when the Galaxy was designed).

A round saucer would require the rest of the ship to change proportions to stop it from looking ridiculous.

There's already a T5 ship with a round saucer, anyway.

...in your opinion...

1) A circular saucer would just make it look a bit more like an ambassador. And also more awesome.

2) t5 ship with a circular saucer? I hope you aren't talking about the excelsior. While I love the way it looks, it's like 300 years old! I want a modern looking ship with some of the lines of the sovvy era stuff with a classic cruiser look with a circular or near-circular saucer. i.e. the excelsior with an updated "modern" skin.

3) when I first saw Enterprise - F drawings it looked like it might be something along those lines, with a more circular saucer, now it looks like it's a more sovvy ovoid with the long axis bow-stern. sad face.
    Kthxbai.
    edited September 2011
    But you can't use that skin on the retrofit! I don't think...

Don't think, read the description in the C-Store instead:
    "Unlocking the Exploration Cruiser Refit: Venture Class also unlocks the Venture Class costume for the Exploration Cruiser, the Exploration Cruiser Retrofit, and the Galaxy Dreadnought. "
    edited September 2011
    I don't know about the rest of you, but my Galaxy-X looks damn sexy.
    edited September 2011
    Hakaishin wrote:
    I don't know about the rest of you, but my Galaxy-X looks damn sexy.

Amen to that, brother.

I switched back from my AC, sacrificing the awesome phaser firepower of that ship in the process, to get back to my GX (well it IS nice that they share the same skill^^) because now it just looks so awesome.

+ the anti matter spread actually has developed more combat worth for me than the akira ripoff pulsar of the klinkers ever could.
    edited October 2011
    ...in your opinion...

In most people's opinion. Refer to the first Spock quote in your sig.
    edited October 2011
    Munrock wrote:
    In most people's opinion. Refer to the first Spock quote in your sig.

Spock's quote doesn't apply here.
    edited October 2011
    1) A circular saucer would just make it look a bit more like an ambassador. And also more awesome.

2) t5 ship with a circular saucer? I hope you aren't talking about the excelsior. While I love the way it looks, it's like 300 years old! I want a modern looking ship with some of the lines of the sovvy era stuff with a classic cruiser look with a circular or near-circular saucer. i.e. the excelsior with an updated "modern" skin.

3) when I first saw Enterprise - F drawings it looked like it might be something along those lines, with a more circular saucer, now it looks like it's a more sovvy ovoid with the long axis bow-stern. sad face.
    Kthxbai.
    ...in your opinion...
    edited October 2011
    mister_dee wrote:
    Don't think, read the description in the C-Store instead:
    "Unlocking the Exploration Cruiser Refit: Venture Class also unlocks the Venture Class costume for the Exploration Cruiser, the Exploration Cruiser Retrofit, and the Galaxy Dreadnought. "

UH, no. You cannot use the circular saucer from the t4 galaxy on the retrofit. Can't. Cannot. You CAN use the venture skin, obviously. But that's not what I was talking about. So, maybe you should work on your reading comprehension.
    edited October 2011
    Jexsam wrote: »

Eeeeeyeah, im not trying to say my statements are anything but...sooooo...yeah...

But honestly we have plenty of modern looking t5 ships with ovoid saucers, and NONE with circular (the excelsior is not MODERN). I'd like to see a change to that. A little equity goes a long way.

And yeah, no, Spock's quote doesn't even remotely apply here....
    edited October 2011
    Eeeeeyeah, im not trying to say my statements are anything but...sooooo...yeah...
    Burn the traitourous ovoid saucers!

I doubt anyone doubted you were stating opinion. The point was that telling someone that their opinion is not fact is kinda stating the obvious. Or did I cite references or otherwise claim I was stating facts?
    UH, no. You cannot use the circular saucer from the t4 galaxy on the retrofit. Can't. Cannot.

Here's why: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=3742995&postcount=2900 . Spend some time in the ship costumer or watch the reuniting animation with a monarch or venture saucer and you'll see what he's talking about and why the saucer has to have the oval silhouette.

Maybe you could just fly a sci ship, or stay in a T4 cruiser.
    edited October 2011
    Munrock wrote:
    I doubt anyone doubted you were stating opinion. The point was that telling someone that their opinion is not fact is kinda stating the obvious. Or did I cite references or otherwise claim I was stating facts?

Here's why: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=3742995&postcount=2900 . Spend some time in the ship costumer or watch the reuniting animation with a monarch or venture saucer and you'll see what he's talking about and why the saucer has to have the oval silhouette.

Maybe you could just fly a sci ship, or stay in a T4 cruiser.

Welllll I understand why those particular skins cannot be used...but he didn't say the saucer has to have the oval silhouette, he said those particular skins would not work with the saucer sep because they were not designed to. One could conceive of a circular saucer designed to work with the saucer sep animation. But I'm not really saying they need a circular skin for the gal retrofit, im saying the need one on a modern looking skin for any t5 ship, (most likely cruiser). It could be a modern skin for the excelsior refit(retrofit?).

...did I really say to burn the traitorous ovoid saucers? Wow. I'm so dramatic.
    edited October 2011
    There are those of us who like the design. With that said, quit whining, you can use the original Galaxy skin, and remember that T6 ships are on the horizon and all of this will be obsolete anyway.
    edited October 2011
    Round saucers on new classes of Federation ships simply dont exist im afraid . the design trend in fed shipbuilding has moved away from the saucer.
    the reasonings for this are the more arrowhead shape is supposed to make a ship more streamlined so its easier to create a stable warp field or something along those lines

Thats why in the current books and stuff , ships are designed more and more streamlined for slipstream drive
    edited October 2011
    But I'm not really saying they need a circular skin for the gal retrofit, im saying the need one on a modern looking skin for any t5 ship, (most likely cruiser). It could be a modern skin for the excelsior refit(retrofit?).

...did I really say to burn the traitorous ovoid saucers? Wow. I'm so dramatic.

Go back to your original post and thread topic title. You weren't asking for any T5 ship, you specifically put the Venture in your thread title, said it should have been different, and, in all-caps, 'MAKE THE SAUCER SECTION CIRCULAR!'

That's not calling for any T5 circular saucer, that's calling for the Venture to be replaced with a circular-saucered design. And then for the burning of all the other T5 ships except the excelsior retro because it's not got an ovoid saucer.

If you were just asking for a modern looking circular-saucered ship at T5, my response might have been "What a grand idea. They could modernize the look of the excelsior or constitution with the same kind of treatment they applied to the Galaxy with the Venture. Especially if it was a skin for the excelsior retrofit, which would let people use its transwarp without being in a time warp."

But you didn't ask for that, so I didn't say it.
    whipplor wrote:
    Round saucers on new classes of Federation ships simply dont exist im afraid . the design trend in fed shipbuilding has moved away from the saucer.
    the reasonings for this are the more arrowhead shape is supposed to make a ship more streamlined so its easier to create a stable warp field or something along those lines

The Akira was designed around the same time as the Sovereign and Intrepid, canonically. So it's not a closed book.
    edited October 2011
    Munrock wrote:
    The Akira was designed around the same time as the Sovereign and Intrepid, canonically. So it's not a closed book.

My guess is he meant "circular" when he said "round".
    Otherwise it would not make any sense since the opposite would be angular, which neither the Sovereign's nor the Intrepdi's saucer are...

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints/stunnamed/sovereign-class-ventral.jpg

http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/images/5/53/Intrepid_class,_overhead_view.jpg

It would also fit because the Akira's saucer is round, but not circular.

http://drexfiles.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/akira_top1.jpg

In addition the Akira is supposedly not from the same time as the Sovereign but from the same era as the Galaxy (at least accoring to the "Starship Spotter") but not produced in large numbers until after Wolf 359.
    edited October 2011
    Munrock wrote:
    Go back to your original post and thread topic title. You weren't asking for any T5 ship, you specifically put the Venture in your thread title, said it should have been different, and, in all-caps, 'MAKE THE SAUCER SECTION CIRCULAR!'

That's not calling for any T5 circular saucer, that's calling for the Venture to be replaced with a circular-saucered design. And then for the burning of all the other T5 ships except the excelsior retro because it's not got an ovoid saucer.

If you were just asking for a modern looking circular-saucered ship at T5, my response might have been "What a grand idea. They could modernize the look of the excelsior or constitution with the same kind of treatment they applied to the Galaxy with the Venture. Especially if it was a skin for the excelsior retrofit, which would let people use its transwarp without being in a time warp."

But you didn't ask for that, so I didn't say it.

The title says "SHOULD HAVE BEEN" not "SHOULD BE." Additionally, Look at the content of my first post. I believe that is exactly what I stated. "I want a modern RA level ship with a circular saucer." My point was that I wish the most recent new ship design had been that of a circular saucer, not that the venture should be MADE INTO a circular saucer. Small distinctions are important. Therefore, I will accept your above stated response as the one you meant to give, and agree with it. Updated excelsior, ftw.
    edited October 2011
    Hakaishin wrote:
    There are those of us who like the design. With that said, quit whining, you can use the original Galaxy skin, and remember that T6 ships are on the horizon and all of this will be obsolete anyway.

O.o theeee original galaxy skin? It...is...ovoid...*shudders*
    edited October 2011
    well i do condece the point , the akira ( and by extension the steamrunner ) are both circular , but were designed some time before the sovreign and after the galaxy ( thats why the ship has elements of the galaxy , such as the hull plating , and elements of the sovreign , such as the escape pods )
    These are officially non-canon , ( as they're from the books , but then , so is the Luna class , and thats in-game , but these also give a good indication of the newer strafleet design philosophy)

vesta class
    Achilles Class
    Merian Class
    edited October 2011
    I really like the Venture class as it, fits my idea perfectly for a modern retrofitted Galaxy if had the Galaxy X extra necelle.

Sadly the 'Venture' X has the same cannons top of the saucer, and the big boxy spinal lance on the underside of the saucer. It would of been nice if they had change of skin for the venture, to me it doesn't fit the beautiful long curves of the neck and across the saucer.