test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is the last August Engineer report a sign of...

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Is the last August Engineer report a sign of things to come?

We are in the launch window of release 4.1 which by the posted Calendar was last week. Red Shirt integration was the last major event to happen, but it was not actually scheduled. The last few events or patches were small.

Where are we in the release of 4.1. The developers have been increasingly silent with information. If 4.1 is to be released this week, then should it not already have been released to the Red Shirt server for review or to identify bugs.

We are moving into October now. The EP has stepped down, and we have a stand-in until the company finds a new EP. Have all the posted events that were planned all been cancelled? Are we one a different posted/non posted events calendar?

The last three patches have not address any of the bugs plaguing the game; chat not working, RPG mode weapon toolbar not working properly, and other problems reported 16 weeks ago.

However, the rapid response to blue phasers and a variant of the Galaxy class ship both seem to be a burning issue for our development team.

Thank you
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    As has been said several times now, 4.1 has been cancelled and rolled into the FTP Beta. http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=3767232&postcount=6
    edited September 2011
    If all this rampant hub-bub all over the forums is the calm before the storm we best get down to Home Depot for some plywood boards and concrete bolts! :eek:
    edited September 2011
    Varlo wrote:
    If all this rampant hub-bub all over the forums is the calm before the storm we best get down to Home Depot for some plywood boards and concrete bolts! :eek:

And my ships don't have forum insurance... :eek:

Z
    edited September 2011
    lol Can you blame them? Nobody offers forum insurance, it's just too much of a risk. :)
    edited September 2011
    ...I gather from all this is nothing is going to be released until 2012. Nothing will be fixed until 2012. The excuse for all this is because, while they were all selling us propaganda since last December about Season 4. It was all just smoke and mirror, while the company sells out to the highest bidder.

Then the 'power to be' can say out of convenience 'that was the old management, not us.'

It seems to me that all this time has been just a stalling for time tactic. :mad:

This is a sad day indeed.

Thank you.

I feel I have been down this road before with some other companies...shady business practice and shady business politics. It seems like the company is going out of it's way to fail.
    edited September 2011
    The FTP is scheduled to go live before the end of the year - I am guessing late November to catch the holiday vacation students and before SWTOR goes live.

They are still fixing bugs on the Holodeck. Redshirt had a bug patch a few days ago and is getting another patch today that fixes more bugs. Once they have been tested they will be released to Holodeck. Everything here will progress as normal. There just will not be any new major updates before FTP starts.
    edited September 2011
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

See this is what happens when a company is too transparent. When plans change, people start saying we were "lied to" or "it's a sign of the end" when it's probably just normal issues delaying things, or, in the case of these bugs, a matter of simple difference in priorities.
    edited September 2011
    I'm gonna get flamed for this, I'm sure, but I'm gonna draw a comparison between STO and WoW. WoW hired a large number (hundreds I've read) of professional historians to write the lore for WoW, based on real-Earth mythologies and religions (I'm talking about WoW pre-BC of course). The developers of STO should have done the same; hired at least dozens of hardcore Trek geeks to write the stories then pass them over to the coders to put them in-game. Sadly, at every turn, you can tell that never happened.

In an ideal world:

"Keep writing, Trek geek!" *shoves a plate of gruel under the door*
    edited September 2011
    Jexsam wrote: »
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

See this is what happens when a company is too transparent. When plans change, people start saying we were "lied to" or "it's a sign of the end" when it's probably just normal issues delaying things, or, in the case of these bugs, a matter of simple difference in priorities.

Have you ever hired a contractor to do work on your house?

It is not really about 'doom or gloom'.

I have not seen any transparency. I read about allot of things that were to be done for season 4 that did not happen. If those reports since last December were all false. I have a hard time believing anything I see now.

How am I to know that a few developers did not get together 3 years ago, and decided to make the game playable for 3 years. Tell a bunch of lies to get people to buy Lifetime subs to payoff their finances to develop the game. Then before their finances/bills came to pass, these people had plan to sell the company to a higher bidder. Then conveniently all go away after their payday happen?

I play other games with other companies. These companies seem to be able to deliver on big and small things. If they have a problem with the patch, they can role back the game until the patch is in a better condition. NC Soft was able to do major overhauls on their back end of the server 3 years into the games release.

I do not think the game is doomed in the long run. I think everything that has transpired here since last December has been shady. Now the players have no idea who to believe, other then the guy who said it was going to take 10 weeks to fix Season 4 16 weeks ago. And they claimed that guy was a 'troll'.

He turned out to be correct. :)

For me, I have invested a significant amount of time and money into Star Trek Online and Champions Online. I have written a wikipedia sight for our fleet, made a forum site, made a Video/Radio website. And am investing time to turn our roleplay stories into Foundry missions and animated movies.

I did that because I believed in Cryptic Studio ability to run a game.

I am deeply concerned about the game in the long term. By 'long-term' I mean 5 years and out. I do not believe F2P is a mistake. I think it will be a good thing. I am hoping at some point the game is playable on an iPad.

No one wants this game to succeed more than me. My job as a player is to hold the developers feet to the fire if they make bad business decisions. I am paying them to be professionals.

Thank you.
    edited September 2011
    Varlo wrote:
    I'm gonna get flamed for this, I'm sure, but I'm gonna draw a comparison between STO and WoW. WoW hired a large number (hundreds I've read) of professional historians to write the lore for WoW, based on real-Earth mythologies and religions (I'm talking about WoW pre-BC of course). The developers of STO should have done the same; hired at least dozens of hardcore Trek geeks to write the stories then pass them over to the coders to put them in-game. Sadly, at every turn, you can tell that never happened.

In an ideal world:

I disagree. Considering that, even with Bjo Trimble's Star Trek Concordance beside their computer, every Trekkie has a different view of canon, I don't think we'd ever really get that Grand Unified Lore. Plus, Blizzard had the advantage of building their mythology wholecloth, based off of nothing other than three RTS games. Ask four Trekkies about some canon minutia and you're likely to get five or six answers.

All in all, I think they did a decent job with the canon references. I would quibble with the setting they've come up with -- lots of us were not expecting IN THE GRIMDARK OF THE 25TH CENTURY THERE IS ONLY WAR!* -- and some of the references seem a bit forced, but they did get much of the lore relatively well.

I have many, many issues with STO, but their decision to make it a war story is a minor one if at all for me, and the quibbles I have about their use of lore are small ones. Now, if you want me to hit the RAEG ALERT button, let's talk about the C-Store and certain ships in it. ;)

* - In the grimdark of the 25th Century there is only Worf! :D
    edited September 2011
    Varlo wrote:

In an ideal world:

I do not believe the problem is lack of ideas or writing. Kestrel seems to be full of Trek ideas. It is lack of manpower to turn those ideas into finished Missions.
    edited September 2011
    Cosmic_One wrote: »
    I do not believe the problem is lack of ideas or writing. Kestrel seems to be full of Trek ideas. It is lack of manpower to turn those ideas into finished Missions.

...if their excuse for what is happening now in the game is because of 'manpower' issues, than why make all those reports to the public on things you knew you were never going to be able to deliver on.

If you lacked 'manpower' to fix bugs in the game, then why make the situation worse by dividing the 'manpower' to create ideas or concepts that are going to be incomplete?

Why not just fix the game, and then make new items for the game?

"Good ideas do not always make good realities" Klytemnestra Hippocrata (1997)...

Thank you
    edited September 2011
    As has been said several times now, 4.1 has been cancelled and rolled into the FTP Beta. http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=3767232&postcount=6

I wish they'd update the calendar to reflect that this, to stop misleading people into waiting for something to come out, and also to reflect the fact hey delivered their ship variant late. The calendar right now is completely false.
    edited September 2011
    ...if their excuse for what is happening now in the game is because of 'manpower' issues, than why make all those reports to the public on things you knew you were never going to be able to deliver on.
    If you have not been paying attention for the last couple of months, Cryptic was under orders to convert STO into FTP. These orders were initiated some 8 months ago by Atari. In the intervening months Atari experienced money issues, had layoffs, put a hiring freeze in place, and basically left a much smaller crew in place to finish the FTP conversion.

There was not enough people and so they have had to make do. That has led to delays and many other issues. The sale to PW fixed some of those problems - such as allowing them to hire more people - but it also increased the demand to get the FTP model out the door ASAP.

Plus the way the new content has been structured there are some pieces which are required to be in place before those pieces can be utilized. For example, the new FE has DOff missions in it and thus cannot be played until the DOff system is in place and well tested. I do not know how familiar you are with programming but many things depend on branches being in place. A delay in one segment can delay and entire branch.

That is not to say that I agree with Cryptic not releasing some of 4.1 to Holodeck, but I do not know how much of 4.1 is really done. As I said above, with the sale to PW a new emphasis has been put on getting FTP out the door - especially after PW accidentally spilled the beans, but also compounded by the fact that SWTOR has an official release date as well.
    edited September 2011
    If you have not been paying attention for the last couple of months, Cryptic was under orders to convert STO into FTP. These orders were initiated some 8 months ago by Atari. In the intervening months Atari experienced money issues, had layoffs, put a hiring freeze in place, and basically left a much smaller crew in place to finish the FTP conversion.

There was not enough people and so they have had to make do. That has led to delays and many other issues. The sale to PW fixed some of those problems - such as allowing them to hire more people - but it also increased the demand to get the FTP model out the door ASAP.

Plus the way the new content has been structured there are some pieces which are required to be in place before those pieces can be utilized. For example, the new FE has DOff missions in it and thus cannot be played until the DOff system is in place and well tested. I do not know how familiar you are with programming but many things depend on branches being in place. A delay in one segment can delay and entire branch.

That is not to say that I agree with Cryptic not releasing some of 4.1 to Holodeck, but I do not know how much of 4.1 is really done. As I said above, with the sale to PW a new emphasis has been put on getting FTP out the door - especially after PW accidentally spilled the beans, but also compounded by the fact that SWTOR has an official release date as well.

That is my point...

If Atari put them on a 'let's keep this quiet' phase. Everyone understands that. The company still went out in the last 9 months and made claims in Engineer reports and other post on the main website about launch windows. Why make any announcement about Season 4 or Season 4.1? Why do internet interviews making claims about dates and time-lines knowing it is false?

The purpose of the Foundry is to shore up the game during periods of time the main developers are having content drought and let the players develop in-game content for them.

If they knew they were developing F2P in secrecy, why release the shooter system? Just keep all that in development and keep the game the way it is.

Then the chat would still work in both Star Trek Online and Champions Online. They would not have been blind-sided by the crazy female walking issue (which is still awful).

And the toolbar in Ground combat would still work right in RPG mode.

I am very familiar with computer programs and computer networks. I also play a significant amount of other MMORPG's.

I also have enough life-experience (40+ years) to know when a bunch of 'bozo's' are incompetent. This is not how people with 'integrity' run a business.

Also, Champions Online did not seem to experience a delay in F2P development of content drought. They had a weekly story going on the 5 weeks of June when Star Trek Online's team was claiming up in down when Season 4 goes live 'here is a long list of items on an engineer report' we are never going to do this year.

In fact, my silver account in Champions Online works properly and my Gold account has been plagued with bugs. Almost identical bugs on my Golda Champions Online Account as my Life-time sub in STO.

Knowing what I know today...I find it interesting those two things coexist.

Thank you.
    edited September 2011
    Also, Champions Online did not seem to experience a delay in F2P development of content drought. They had a weekly story going on the 5 weeks of June when Star Trek Online's team was claiming up in down when Season 4 goes live 'here is a long list of items on an engineer report' we are never going to do this year.
    Please do not make me laugh here. CO has had one 5-part mission added to the game since they went FTP back in January. That is not a content boom. They have had the same lack of content problems STO has had, for the same reasons. :)
    edited September 2011
    Please do not make me laugh here. CO has has 1 5-part mission added to the game since they went FTP back in January. That is not a content boom. :)

...it is a bench mark moment. Considering Champions converted all their Adventure packs to what STO is planning to do with STF's. Also, my luxury Penthouse in Champions has a working bathroom without a toilet. The shower and Jacuzzi work. STO engineers still cannot get my bathroom door in my cabin unstuck and my Jacuzzi on the ship is not installed.

Are you telling me that STO in the last 10 months could not write one 5 week mission for the period of time from June to now?

if they would not have wasted everyone's time with Season 4 updates that are not coming out until 2012, the Foundry would not have went down. And people would have been able to pump out stories. Instead, we had to wait a significant amount of time to get the Foundry back up. All that would have been avoided if they had just been open about going to F2P in December of 2010.

I knew when they couldn't deliver on Poker on the ships something was up.

Thank you.

PS

Also, if everything has been pushed back to 2012, then what have they been working on since February? Since there are more things wrong now then was not working prior to Season 4.
    edited September 2011
    ...it is a bench mark moment. Considering Champions converted all their Adventure packs to what STO is planning to do with STF's. Also, my luxury Penthouse in Champions has a working bathroom without a toilet. The shower and Jacuzzi work. STO engineers still cannot get my bathroom door in my cabin unstuck and my Jacuzzi on the ship is not installed.

Are you telling me that STO in the last 10 months could not write one 5 week mission for the period of time from June to now?

if they would not have wasted everyone's time with Season 4 updates that are not coming out until 2012, the Foundry would not have went down. And people would have been able to pump out stories. Instead, we had to wait a significant amount of time to get the Foundry back up. All that would have been avoided if they had just been open about going to F2P in December of 2010.

I knew when they couldn't deliver on Poker on the ships something was up.

Thank you.

PS

Also, if everything has been pushed back to 2012, then what have they been working on since February? Since there are more things wrong now then was not working prior to Season 4.
    In the same amount of time that CO has created one 5-part FE STO also created one 5-part FE: the Reman series. STO has also put on Borg DSEs.

I get that you are upset and want to rant right now. I understand it completely. I am simply saying that you are crying over spilled milk. We cannot change what happen to Cryptic over the last 6 months. They did the things they had to do: such as unifying all the code between all their games and getting themselves ready for FTP.

There is a certain point where you either accept there are things you cannot change in history or you go insane worrying about it. There is nothing we can do about this. The decision has been made to launch FTP before the end of the year and that is where all their resources are going right now. You can play all this new content in the FTP Beta or you can take a break. Either of those things is more productive then simply crying over spilled milk, IMO.
    edited September 2011
    In the same amount of time that CO has created one 5-part FE STO also created one 5-part FE: the Reman series. STO has also put on Borg DSEs.

I get that you are upset and want to rant right now. I understand it completely. I am simply saying that you are crying over spilled milk. We cannot change what happen to Cryptic over the last 6 months. They did the things they had to do: such as unifying all the code between all their games and getting themselves ready for FTP.

There is a certain point where you either accept there are things you cannot change in history or you go insane worrying about it. There is nothing we can do about this. The decision has been made to launch FTP before the end of the year and that is where all their resources are going right now. You can play all this new content in the FTP Beta or you can take a break. Either of those things is more productive then simply crying over spilled milk, IMO.

So, when are they going to release NGE?

When SWG went out they released a new FPS system to the original combat game. Then spent 9 months lying about the secret changes they were making. Then 'poof' NGE came out.
    edited September 2011
    So, when are they going to release NGE?

When SWG went out they released a new FPS system to the original combat game. Then spent 9 months lying about the secret changes they were making. Then 'poof' NGE came out.

Apologies but I am seriously losing track of what the point of your thread is about, you make a large number of claims (some of them extremely rude) which appear to have minimal basis on the reality of the situation we've all known about for months or are blatantly false and now suddenly jump into something which occurred in Star Wars Galaxies.

I get you're upset I'm just having a hard time following your logic or working out what you're going on about.

If you're claim of '40+' years of experience is true then you'll likely have heard the saying 'No plan survives contact with the enemy, some don't survive contact with reality'. Everything in the engineering reports for future work is their plan...

Understand that (and the fact this is only a game) and things will get so much easier and no our job IS NOT to hold the Devs feet to the fire...
    edited September 2011
    It's all moot at this point....

We get to start trying out some new stuff today on TRIBBLE.

It's time to move on to greener pastures and complain about what's wrong with the new stuff. ;)
    edited September 2011
    Well would you look at that. They're releasing Tribble tomorrow with all the shinies.

Surely this too is a portent of the demise of the game.