Install Arc
Options

Some upcoming improvements to powers

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Heneo wrote: »
    You know this post is a prime example of why there is a PVP/PVE division in the players.

Insulting the majority of the playerbase because of an upcomming change (unrequested by anyone) dosn't do anything to engender any support for your cause.

No, I'm insulting him because of his repeated attitude, and seeing as how most pveers have his attitude them too. I'm also insulting them because rather than complain about a horrid AI, **** poor mission structure, a nonsense storyline etc they complained about Uniform Pips, and demanded that take priority over both PvE content and PvP content.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Mavairo wrote:
    No, I'm insulting him because of his repeated attitude, and seeing as how most pveers have his attitude them too. I'm also insulting them because rather than complain about a horrid AI, **** poor mission structure, a nonsense storyline etc they complained about Uniform Pips, and demanded that take priority over both PvE content and PvP content.

Ahh right now I understand,

The possibility that some people in game may have a differing opinion is so unrealistic to you because of course you a PVP GOD and as such you opinion is the only one that matters.

Sorry, that was extreme but thats how your posts are reading to me at least.

Lets wait till the changes hit test and give geko his feadback before going mental.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Mavairo wrote:
    Seriously, if you can't see the stupidity in a 16 second stun, then I'm amazed that you managed to install a game by yourself.
    To be clear, the original notes said the "rift" lasts for 16 seconds. Without combing back through threadnaught here, I'm not sure it's been stated how long the disable effect lasts. You can avoid the "rift" by not flying into it; or if you're in the AoE when it hits, can fly out of it (disable only disables abilities, as far as I know, so you can still move and turn). So while the hazard lasts for 16 seconds, I don't think it's been stated anywhere (yet) that you remain disabled for 16 seconds, assuming you're caught in it or can't avoid it to begin with. Also no word, apparently, on how this will relate to the disable from a second trico hit; or other disables like PSW, and whether it includes an immunity to prevent chain stunning.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I'm a PvP'er and I approve the changes with Tricos. *two thumbs up*

EDIT: Not just two thumbs up, this needs the Captain Janeway Seal of Approval
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Proposition:

Peng fire at will; 3,4 or 5 sets of pengs at all players within 10km, and stacks. That's balanced, right?
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Chris8016 wrote: »
    Proposition:

Peng fire at will; 3,4 or 5 sets of pengs at all players within 10km, and stacks. That's balanced, right?

I second this, it'll make for interesting PvP play!

And if you get the new console from the CStore, the peng explosions will chain... for this awesome effect that turns your entire screen purple for 16 seconds in what can only be termed pure awesomeness.

/sarcasm

/facepalm
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I also think that the developers are coming dangerously close here of a major canon violation.
    Tricoblat High Yield generates a subspace rift. Any target that enters the rift will get disabled. The rift lasts 10, 13 or 16 secs (based on rank). Reduced Basic tricobalt damage to 80%, and the high yields now do more damage. Icons and New fx are incomplete.

In canon trek it was a side effect of a tricobalt device that it could cause a small but brief tear in subspace.
    But to have a Federation weapon that intentionally causes a major "subspace rift" is just wrong and so un-starfleet.
    Especially since the Federation and most alpha quadrant powers have "banned" the use of subspace weapons, and with this change that is exactly what the Tricobalt becomes, a subspace weapon.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Man, I seriously can't wait for the day that the ban hammer is swung around a lot more frequently. These forums have become INFESTED with entirely too much Dev bashing.

Why don't you wait to actually TRY the adjustments before you make unfounded angry posts about something you know absolutely NOTHING about.

....Snip...

So why don't you all just re-freakin-lax and give it a shot on tribble (When it's released) FIRST, before you freak out.

You may see people over reacting, where I see reasonable people reacting to the latest things to ruin pvp game play.

Lets test it on tribble? Once it hits tribble its too late, the build is final, too much work has gone into to make changes. Once its on tribble its gonna go to live, unless theres some weird stability issue (the only exception to this that I have seen was the B'rel nerf, which is now fixed, so more double dev time fixing things that simply should not have been changed in the first place).

Tribble is not a testbed for things like this, its to test the entire patch out. If it works, it makes it to holodeck. We've seen this time and time again. Ideas like this need to be shot down before any dev time is wasted on it, because it WILL need a change after going live, which means double dev time spent on something that no one even asked for (at least I have not seen any forum posts asking for tric buffs, though i may have missed them).

Its getting to the point where I no longer care anymore, these things just keep coming, they are ruining the game for PVP players, all while adding nothing to PVE players (we do PVE too, so we're able to comment on this before you start Shakkar), maybe if there was some back ground attached to why these changes are being considered it would be easier for us to make our points heard in a less aggressive more debate like manor.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Alexraptor wrote: »
    I also think that the developers are coming dangerously close here of a major canon violation.

In canon trek it was a side effect of a tricobalt device that it could cause a small but brief tear in subspace.
    But to have a Federation weapon that intentionally causes a major "subspace rift" is just wrong and so un-starfleet.
    Especially since the Federation and most alpha quadrant powers have "banned" the use of subspace weapons, and with this change that is exactly what the Tricobalt becomes, a subspace weapon.

Why only close? If they keep it that way it will cause a rift in subspace to deal damage, so it is what it is. I don't think that this argument will have any impact though, in best case they will just rename it. On the other hand we are already throwing Gravity Wells and Tykens Rifts left and right and that is on its own a little bit off.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Now that I've had a good nights sleep..I now know we won't get a console for ships to be able to launch those Photonic Shockwave Torpedoes.. That will be the new High Yield Tricobolt Torpedo..

This does make one wonder.. If they are going to do this for Tricobolt Torpedoes... what does this mean for Tricobolt Mines and Mine patterns? ;)
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Dont agree with the disable. maybe something that reduced energy levels by a few points would be ok, but disables sound like a bad idea to me.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    hurleybird wrote: »
    These changes are bad and you should feel bad.

Are you guys seriously that clueless about PvP balance? The last thing needed is another incentive to spec out of weapons power. Tric spread sounds terrible. 16 second AOE disable rifts sound worse. What is going through your guys' heads??? :mad:

I know what is going threw there heads, PVE PVE PVE PVE PVE PVE PVE PVE PVE PVE PVE PVE PVE PVE PVE PVE PVE PVE PVE PVE
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Rediculous proposal for Tricobalts.

Update the graphics, yes.
    Update the engine, Yes.
    Fix the Tricobalt, YES
    Create more TRIBBLE in PvP, NO.

Did the tricobalts Voyager shot at the Caretakers array create some kind of weird rift? No.

Tricobalts were used in the game for tactical reasons and it required good timing, where you get some nice damage and stun effect from when mastered it properly.

What you are proposing now is making it utterly useless for alot of players. Fine, create the spread and high yield TRIBBLE for it, but dont touch the 4s stun or tricobalt base damage please. Actually it could use a buff with the recent Spread and Cooldown changes for other torpedos, but not in the way you are proposing CaptainGeko.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Did the tricobalts Voyager shot at the Caretakers array create some kind of weird rift? No.

Er.... FYI

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Tricobalt_device
    The tricobalt warhead is a subspace weapon whose high-yield detonations can tear holes in subspace
    A tricobalt warhead was also used by the Tholians in the Star Trek: Enterprise episode "In a Mirror, Darkly". They detonated a tricobalt warhead inside the gravity well of a dead star. The explosion created an interphasic rift, which they used to lure the Federation starship USS Defiant from another Universe.

Also, if I remember correctly, 7 came up with a theory that something hinky did happen with the Tricobalt devices Voyager fired at the Caretaker Array in the episode "The Voyager Conspiracy".
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I think it's unfortunate that there are only a dozen or so people who actually care about the balance in this game.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    SteveHale wrote: »
    I think it's unfortunate that there are only a dozen or so people who actually care about the balance in this game.

I just don't want to relive the Viral Matrix + Subnuc Lock down of Season 1.. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited September 2011

My growling is on page seven hale also in fewer than 24 hours we are at page 11 in this tread and a majority of the posts are very negative so far.
  • Options
    edited September 2011

Au contraire, I m surprised that a) I still give a ****, and b) there are ca. 15 more people out there who still do as well
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Pulled Energy Credit resell value becaue EC economy is way out of balance. There are not enough EC sinks. Its being pulled in preperation for F2P.

Tricobalt - please note that the base damage was reduced. We wanted to magive this torpedo more utility. Dont sweat it - t will be up for review, feedback and tuning.

Ok, I don't mind if the items that comes with the ships aren't worth any EC. But PLEASE make them deletable through selling them from ZERO credits instead of us having to right-click and pick discard and then click ok to verify. All items should be possible to remove through the sell interface even if they don't give any credits back.

As for the other changes you so brilliantly thought of out of the blue.
    I can't phantom where you got this worthless idea fro?
    Have anyone actually requested these changes?
    Are there more things that works in the game that you want to break?

It's true, I'm not a huge fan of PvP. I dabble in it occasionally. Mostly with friends only.
    Most of my time I do PvE and even I know that these changes aren't worth the Computer Memory required to store the text in the initial post in this thread.

Not forgetting that the Federation are AGAINST subspace weapons. They even rebuild their nacelles so they wouldn't damage subspace. So have they now decided that making warp travel impossible by damaging subspace is a good idea? I hardly think so.

Go and watch more Star Trek. Try and come up with solutions to make the game feel more like the series and films. Don't waste time and resources on pointless ideas like these. Work on putting playable mission content in to the game instead. Or have Huge events where we can play against Devs like in Champions Online. Even going through all code for the game and correct spelling errors is time spent better then doing these changes.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    We'll find out how this works in testing, won't we?

So far all we have is the "on-paper" changes. We can guess at how they'll affect gameplay with that, but it's a far cry from in-practice use. It's only reasonable to at least wait and see how these changes affect the game.

Not that I expect anyone on this forum to be reasonable anymore.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Personally I love tricobalt I love the damage, but honestly it feels half-done without some skills/abilities affecting it. It makes the game feel incomplete if you follow a pattern like HY and TS and then make your most powerful weapon available the unloved step-child.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Jexsam wrote: »

So far all we have is the "on-paper" changes. We can guess at how they'll affect gameplay with that, but it's a far cry from in-practice use. It's only reasonable to at least wait and see how these changes affect the game.

Your a forum regular...you know reason doesn't work. Shoot first ask questions later, thats how changes are made in this game. It will get "tested" and pushed live anyhow despite any "reasonable" feedback.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Jexsam wrote: »

But they put these things LIVE even though loads of people say they are bugged or over powered or what ever the problem is with most stuff they "test". Sometimes I wonder why they test these things in the first place since they don't work and they don't fix them first.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Simale wrote:
    Not forgetting that the Federation are AGAINST subspace weapons. They even rebuild their nacelles so they wouldn't damage subspace. So have they now decided that making warp travel impossible by damaging subspace is a good idea? I hardly think so.

Go and watch more Star Trek. Try and come up with solutions to make the game feel more like the series and films. Don't waste time and resources on pointless ideas like these. Work on putting playable mission content in to the game instead. Or have Huge events where we can play against Devs like in Champions Online. Even going through all code for the game and correct spelling errors is time spent better then doing these changes.

What about subspace weapons? When was it said that tricobalts open a subspace rift? It could just be similar to Tyken's Rift, which isn't a subspace weapon.

Though, the tricobalt changes sounds like tricobalts just become more OP than they use to be. I don't know the damage values or if it's possible to escape the rift, so it's hard for me to have a problem with it.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    What about subspace weapons? When was it said that tricobalts open a subspace rift? It could just be similar to Tyken's Rift, which isn't a subspace weapon.

Though, the tricobalt changes sounds like tricobalts just become more OP than they use to be. I don't know the damage values or if it's possible to escape the rift, so it's hard for me to have a problem with it.

I've quoted and colored red where it says that it does just that.

• Tricobalt Device now uses Boff High Yield and Spread abilities. Spread targets 2, 3 or 4 targets (based on rank). Tricoblat High Yield generates a subspace rift. Any target that enters the rift will get disabled. The rift lasts 10, 13 or 16 secs (based on rank). Reduced Basic tricobalt damage to 80%, and the high yields now do more damage. Icons and New fx are incomplete.
  • Options
    edited September 2011

How about this for reason?
    Everyone who uses there ensign level High yield 1 ability and a Tricobolt torpedo will have the potential to stun you for 10 seconds
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    How about this for reason?
    Everyone who uses there ensign level High yield 1 ability and a Tricobolt torpedo will have the potential to stun you for 10 seconds

Except that's not how long the stun lasts, that's how long the stunning rift lasts.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Simale wrote:
    I've quoted and colored red where it says that it does just that.

Ah, lol. Somehow I missed that. Thanks.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Subspace_weapon

Though, it does say tricobalts could be considered a subspace weapon.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I'm willing to give these Tricobalt changes a try on tribble/red shirt. However I would like for serious consideration to the PvP community be taken when reviewing these changes. I may just be a casual PvPer, and mostly PvEer but even I can see the issues with ignoring the PvP community about powers that mostly effect them.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    the stun length isn't going to be any longer then its ever been, and when the stun ends you have emergency dampeners. there's also nothing saying you get pulled by the rift, though that is typical rift behavior, so this might end up being extremely avoidable for everyone who wasn't the original target.

i'd like to see high yield 2 and 3 produce 2 and 3 heavy plasmas, like the npc's can. if those are actually dangerous, some one might actually use them.