test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Venture/Ent-F the new 2409 Standard?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
These styles are hot, and I noticed they both share some visual queues. Will this style be the new standard for 2409 era ships? Might we see Venture inspired variants for more of the existing ships in the future?

While I appreciate and am glad that STO has brought in so much of Trek's past, we are also supposed to be in the future, and it would be nice to see more of the future in ships and star bases, even if just as variants of old designs.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    I hope so too. It reminds me of when the Galaxy-class was first seen, you had similar design elements used in other classes such as the Nebula and New Orleans-class starships. It's about time Starfleet looked a little more consistent across the fleet.
    edited September 2011
    Amen to this. Imagine how good a fleet of ships would look sharing this new design philosophy.

I'm not a huge fan of seeing the Excelsior class in this era but as they were kind of a workhorse in DS9, I can understand that some might still be around. This is why I'm against a T5 Connie. I don't want to see relics flying around with the excuse that 'Oh well, it's been refitted for service in the war' or 'My admiral can choose any ship he/she wants'. The Constitution class belongs in the past, let it rest in peace.
    edited September 2011
    When I first saw Venture and reflected on Odyssey, I thought to myself fleet of 2409.
    edited September 2011
    Every era has had a definitive style of starship design in the shows and movies, and I love the idea of the Enteperise-F and Venture class design being used as template for the STO era.
    edited September 2011
    I agree. I practically squee'd when I first saw the Venture Class, and I don't normally do that. Although I highly doubt it, I'm hoping that the rest of the Federation ships CaptLogan is working on are similar in style to the Odyssey/Venture. This should be the standard of design for 25th century ships, IMO.

Oh, by the way, interesting fact: Both the Odyssey Class and the Venture Class were named after Galaxy Class ships that served in important events during or leading up to the Dominion War.
    edited September 2011
    I certainly hope so, too.

Can you imagine how slick a Defiant would look in Odyssey-chique? Or maybe a Prometheus? Intrepid?

I really, really hope the similarity in design was intentional. A standard architecture would go a long way to helping this game feel at least a little more coherent.
    edited September 2011
    Jexsam wrote: »
    I certainly hope so, too.

Can you imagine how slick a Defiant would look in Odyssey-chique? Or maybe a Prometheus? Intrepid?

I really, really hope the similarity in design was intentional. A standard architecture would go a long way to helping this game feel at least a little more coherent.

I would love to see this and an even more sleek design of the sovy with the odyssey style design as one of its varints :D.
    edited September 2011
    Agreed with the others. Venture is quite possibly the best looking Federation variant this game has to offer. Smooth and sleek, none of those tacked on angular parts like the other variants have.

If this is the shape of things to come I will be very pleased.
    edited September 2011
    Amen to this. Imagine how good a fleet of ships would look sharing this new design philosophy.

I'm not a huge fan of seeing the Excelsior class in this era but as they were kind of a workhorse in DS9, I can understand that some might still be around. This is why I'm against a T5 Connie. I don't want to see relics flying around with the excuse that 'Oh well, it's been refitted for service in the war' or 'My admiral can choose any ship he/she wants'. The Constitution class belongs in the past, let it rest in peace.

Maybe modernizing some of these old ships by way of a Venture/Odyssey make-over would be a better way to bring some fan favorites into 2409? Allow them to be used at higher tiers, but limit those to the newer skins.

I think the the Ent-B Excelsior variant might be quite awesome looking with a Venture/Odyssey make-over. Someone's forum sig has that variant at an interesting angle, and if you don't look close it almost makes you think of the Galaxy.

I'd love to see many of the ships we know so well with this new design. Akira, Norway, Steamrunner, Sabre, Galaxy, Intrepid, Excelsior, Star Cruiser/Nomad, Luna, Prometheus, Defiant, heck, even those goofy golf ball science ships!

Might also be interesting to seem some of the aesthetics in Player/Fleet Starbases when those come out.
    edited September 2011
    I have to agree with everyone the Venture and Odyssey are beautiful and would make an excellent template for the whole of Starfleet for the 2409 era :D

I also know quite a few of my fleet mates who love both ships, or should I say 3 with the Venture-X and are begging for a Nebula with the Ventures style ;)
    edited September 2011
    Don't know if everyone saw this, but I think we're on the right track here. CapnLogan tweeted this last week; and while it's hazy, you can definitely make out some T2 lines.

2409 Styling on the T2 Cruiser
    edited September 2011
    Zeryon wrote: »
    Don't know if everyone saw this, but I think we're on the right track here. CapnLogan tweeted this last week; and while it's hazy, you can definitely make out some T2 lines.

Ooooh, I so hope they make it T5
    edited September 2011
    Geoff_484 wrote:
    Ooooh, I so hope they make it T5

I doubt it.

Personally I wish they'd make more of this style for more T5 ships. I'd love to see this type of variation on an Excelsior or Prometheus and the others.
    edited September 2011

We need a clear pic. That hazy TRIBBLE is cruel and unusual. >.>
    edited September 2011
    Stu1701 wrote: »
    I doubt it.

Personally I wish they'd make more of this style for more T5 ships. I'd love to see this type of variation on an Excelsior or Prometheus and the others.

I would like a prometheus reskin too, but only if they also adapt der mvam animation.(fix it to include variants)
    edited September 2011
    to me all the ships look way too "luxury" during a time of war not saying i dont like them but do you guys kinda understand what i mean
    edited September 2011
    zombie619 wrote: »
    to me all the ships look way too "luxury" during a time of war not saying i dont like them but do you guys kinda understand what i mean

Federation ships from the TNG era on have all had far too many windows for the amount of combat they get into (except, of course, for the windowless Defiant). To some extent, it's understandable that Enterprise-D was covered with windows- it was a product of its time, a ship made for peaceful exploration, and its designers placed a little too much trust in shields rather than armor. But by 2409 in STO's universe, Starfleet ought to know better.

Still and all, I like seeing multiple ships take design cues from the flagship. Starfleet seems to have always had design 'generations,' wherein they build a new flagship class and then everything for the next 20 years borrows from that design. If CapnLogan is really trying to establish a new such generation of ships in STO, that's really cool and fits well with the games timeframe.
    edited September 2011
    Federation ships from the TNG era on have all had far too many windows for the amount of combat they get into (except, of course, for the windowless Defiant). To some extent, it's understandable that Enterprise-D was covered with windows- it was a product of its time, a ship made for peaceful exploration, and its designers placed a little too much trust in shields rather than armor. But by 2409 in STO's universe, Starfleet ought to know better.

Still and all, I like seeing multiple ships take design cues from the flagship. Starfleet seems to have always had design 'generations,' wherein they build a new flagship class and then everything for the next 20 years borrows from that design. If CapnLogan is really trying to establish a new such generation of ships in STO, that's really cool and fits well with the games timeframe.

I always thought the they could cover the windows with armour plating which slides back and fort to cover the windows when in combat that way people on board have best of boths worlds a nice view and something to protect them other than shields.
    edited September 2011

Too bad the quality wasn't better, but that's cool, thanks for sharing.
    edited September 2011
    edited September 2011
    I think for VAs all ships should have the option of becoming T5, this just ads more playablilty for us, if your favorite ship is the Miranda, you don't have to fly around in a hunk of junk.

But back on topic, I love the Venture/2409 look, it's flashy and fresh. That Defiant looks pretty nice too. I look forward to more 2409 skins.
    edited September 2011
    Sprint01 wrote:

Yes, I think so!
    edited September 2011
    RAJ_2011 wrote:
    I always thought the they could cover the windows with armour plating which slides back and fort to cover the windows when in combat that way people on board have best of boths worlds a nice view and something to protect them other than shields.

Weren't window covers, AKA shutters, actually used as far back as the Constitution Class? At least, going by the interior map you can get for it.
    edited September 2011
    RockMax wrote: »
    I think for VAs all ships should have the option of becoming T5, this just ads more playablilty for us, if your favorite ship is the Miranda, you don't have to fly around in a hunk of junk.

But the Miranda IS a hunk of junk, even in the Dominion war part of DS9, they were ripped to shreds in each engagement. Considering also that the canon Miranda outgunned the movie era Connie in TWOK, kinda makes even less sense to have these in game at higher levels. Let the old designs die with a little dignity and embrace change.
    edited September 2011
    Weren't window covers, AKA shutters, actually used as far back as the Constitution Class? At least, going by the interior map you can get for it.

Don't know.
    edited September 2011
    I for one would love to see a "Venture-inspired" Intrepid or Sovereign Class variant.
    edited September 2011
    I for one would love to see a "Venture-inspired" Intrepid or Sovereign Class variant.

A few months ago, CapnLogan leaked a sketch of an Intrepid saucer that looked like it is just that, so I'd say the odds of you seeing that are pretty good. However, the Sovy won't be getting looked at again in any way shape or form for at least six months. :(

As for the earlier poster who suggested that all ships be playable at VA, CBS has come flat out and said no to Cryptic on that one, unfortunately.
    edited September 2011
    A few months ago, CapnLogan leaked a sketch of an Intrepid saucer that looked like it is just that, so I'd say the odds of you seeing that are pretty good. However, the Sovy won't be getting looked at again in any way shape or form for at least six months. :(

As for the earlier poster who suggested that all ships be playable at VA, CBS has come flat out and said no to Cryptic on that one, unfortunately.

I wonder way they have said no to sovy, they must have something planned? i hope they will use the sovy in a new st series! :D
    edited September 2011
    I wasn't planning on buying the Venture it until I saw it, then I just fell in love with it's sleek curves an I knew I had to have it. I would love it if they made a Venture varation for every ship.
    edited September 2011
    When I first saw Venture and reflected on Odyssey, I thought to myself fleet of 2409.

This. Oh, so very this.

I love the style. <3