J.J. Abrams Stops Playing Coy...

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited September 2011 in Ten Forward
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Well its nice to see it set in stone.

Heres hoping they don't try to rehash Wrath of Khan.
    edited September 2011
    2013? Ouch, well.. they had darn well better pick up the proposed new TV Series then. I don't want to wait a whole year and a half (almost) for more Star Trek Fix!
    edited September 2011
    Star Trek 2: Lense Flare's Revenge. Coming to theaters 2013. :D
    edited September 2011
    2013? Ouch, well.. they had darn well better pick up the proposed new TV Series then. I don't want to wait a whole year and a half (almost) for more Star Trek Fix!

From what I've read about multiple proposed Trek series, the result will be the tarnishing of the good name to say the least.

I'd like to remind people about how much of a gap TOS and TNG had...and the fact that society needs to re-learn on how to wait for something. :rolleyes:
    edited September 2011
    From what I've read about multiple proposed Trek series, the result will be the tarnishing of the good name to say the least.

I'd like to remind people about how much of a gap TOS and TNG had...and the fact that society needs to re-learn on how to wait for something. :rolleyes:

I've been waiting since Voyager went off the air for a new series on the current timeline. But.. Mayhaps "your society" should learn that not everyone has the same opinions and expectations. Besides, just because something happened one way in the past, that means that is how it has to always be? We would never evolve as a species that way.

You go ahead and wait as long as you like, I would prefer "the sooner the better" in terms of a new series if only to keep the dream alive.

:rolleyes:
    edited September 2011

I've heard that there's an online game involving Star Trek! I'm not sure of all the details, but it's around somewhere. :p

/ducks Devs and Mods
    edited September 2011
    I've heard that there's an online game involving Star Trek! I'm not sure of all the details, but it's around somewhere. :p

/ducks Devs and Mods

lol! touch
    edited September 2011
    I've been waiting since Voyager went off the air for a new series on the current timeline. But.. Mayhaps "your society" should learn that not everyone has the same opinions and expectations. Besides, just because something happened one way in the past, that means that is how it has to always be? We would never evolve as a species that way.

You go ahead and wait as long as you like, I would prefer "the sooner the better" in terms of a new series if only to keep the dream alive.

:rolleyes:

What are you talking about...?
    edited September 2011
    What are you talking about...?

/10characters
    edited September 2011
    This.

It did the trick for Star Wars. Unfortunately, Paramount and JJ preferred the fast cash right now.
    edited September 2011
    Shoot me, but to me this is bad news (wel the whole fact an other one of these comes out is)

A well I will lift my shoulders and move on nothing I am going to do about it, beside plenty of people around who do seem to like this, so enjoy, but I stay as far away as I can thanks.
    edited September 2011
    Valias wrote:
    This.

It did the trick for Star Wars. Unfortunately, Paramount and JJ preferred the fast cash right now.

The only good thing about Star Wars since the original films has been the stuff Bioware has done. There's a few decent things in the recent films, but by and large they suck... well, Revenge wasn't too bad, sans the "NOOOOO". Only reason we waited THAT long for more Star Wars was cause Lucas had no idea what to do with it.

I don't mind at all that JJ Abrams created the new Trek film(s), and I honestly don't mind that the film is what it is. A lot of hardcore Trekkies give it flak based purely on the fact that it isn't completely in-line with what they feel Star Trek is and loathe it simply for that, regardless of the fact that based on its own merits (with zero comparisons to any other Trek film) it's an excellent film... and has done more for the franchise than Enterprise did. Very possible there would've been NONE more Trek films/shows after Enterprise if someone didn't re-ignite some interest. And yes, the film has some plotholes... but so does virtually every other Trek movie, even greats like Voyage Home and First Contact have a couple writing hiccups.

I thoroughly enjoyed the film for what it is, and anyone who can't get over the fact it's a "reboot" and view it as the damnation of Trek, well... that's honestly their problem. All their complaining will never change the fact it's one of the most commercial and critical successes in Sci-Fi history, let alone in the Trek franchise. :p
    edited September 2011
    The only good thing about Star Wars since the original films has been the stuff Bioware has done.
    Whoah there. The novels, the comics, the CGI series, all the other computer games (don't you dare diss my TIE Fighter! :p), the roleplaying games? Ever since the Thrawn books basically jump-started the franchise about 18 years ago, the expanded universe has been going strong and grown. It keeps to grow until this very day, after having been just about dead for quite some time.

This kind of break is what I think Star Trek would have needed as well. Alas ...
    A lot of hardcore Trekkies give it flak based purely on the fact that it isn't completely in-line with what they feel Star Trek is and loathe it simply for that, regardless of the fact that based on its own merits (with zero comparisons to any other Trek film) it's an excellent film...
    You know, whilst I wouldn't say "excellent", I actually have to agree with you here. I felt entertained. It was an enjoyable sci-fi action flick.

It just wasn't Star Trek. They could have released it under any other name and I'd have nothing to complain about. Instead I have to watch them pee on the graves of my childhood memories. :P
    Very possible there would've been NONE more Trek films/shows after Enterprise if someone didn't re-ignite some interest.
    Actually, there was a new series planned, but it got cancelled when they decided to go with JJ. Either way, I would have preferred Enterprise to go into a 5th season, for they were finally starting to get good again and had some awesome ideas - but nooo...

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Undeveloped_Star_Trek:_Enterprise_episodes#Proposed_fifth_season_episodes
    And yes, the film has some plotholes... but so does virtually every other Trek movie, even greats like Voyage Home and First Contact have a couple writing hiccups.
    Plotholes are a part of Trek. But there are some things you can dismiss and others that are so glaringly silly and unnecessary that it's really just lazyness.

All their complaining will never change the fact it's one of the most commercial and critical successes in Sci-Fi history, let alone in the Trek franchise. :p
    And Episode 1(!) yielded more money as any of the original three movies on the box office, that doesn't make it a better film. :p

Fact is that all movies make more money the later they are produced, but they also cost more to make, so you can't directly compare the 2009 one with its predecessors. I dunno whether it's just inflation or price hikes in cinema tickets as well as increased cost in FX, but you can check the returns of all these movies on wikipedia, and I'm sure you'll notice a trend.

But let's compare them just for fun:
    Star Wars - A New Hope (1977): 11 mio. budget, 775 mio. box office returns
    Star Wars - The Phantom Menace (1999): 115 mio. budget, 925 mio. box office returns
    Star Trek - The Wrath of Khan (1982): 11 mio. budget, 97 mio. box office returns
    Star Trek JJ (2009) : 150 mio. budget, 385 mio. box office returns

Notice something about the returns ratio? Even if we compare it to the dreaded Motion Picture from 1979, there's a 46 mio. budget vs 139 mio. box office returns. JJtrek barely managed to cash in twice its cost, look how the other movies did. And just like with Ep1, I'm sure much of it could be attributed to quite a number of people expecting something different than they got. I wonder how the second movie will fare in the box office.

Yes, it was more successful than Nemesis, but I'm not sure if that's a good benchmark. They could have done so much more. In retrospect, I actually think Nemesis is a better Trek movie than the 2009 remake - though the 2009 remake may be a better sci-fi movie than Nemesis if you leave out the names... Weird?

Anyways, which I believe is actually the most important thing, so far JJtrek did nothing for the franchise beyond extending public awareness of the brand name. The old Trek movies spawned a host of novels, board and computer games, toys, posters, collectibles, ... just like the old Star Wars movies, and here the prequels managed to replicate this effect for the modern times. What did JJtrek achieve in terms of licensed products? We got a flash-based railshooter for the phone. That's about it. Maybe it's because Paramount fears that the majority of people who went to see the movie is not the kind of people who are interested in anything else. Few action movies (and this is what JJtrek gets called officially - it's not sci-fi, it's "the action movie of the year") go beyond the big screen, after all.

Keeping a franchise alive does look different, imo.

Honoring and respecting its roots even moreso.
    edited September 2011
    The Problem I foresee among the fan base is that the next movie will further alienate them as it begins to lean more to action as Transformers did and the holes in the first movie will be more present in the sequel. The first movie while entertaining was nothing like Star Trek it was dumbed down and did nothing really new. Sure it made 385 million world wide off of 150 million budget, but it wasn't as successful monetary wise as Wrath of Khan or even Voyage Home. Paramount just decided to follow the fad of remaking or rebooting movies.

Our dilemma as fans is to go see this movie and ensure that Star trek survives or abandon it and let the mainstream blinkers easily amused by lens flares and explosions go and see it.

I will see it because one movie doesn't give me a very solid opinion of the new movie series.
    edited September 2011
    I've been waiting since Voyager went off the air for a new series on the current timeline.

I think we can logically assume that "this timeline" is pretty much over. Everything we're going to see in the future is going to be based in the JJverse. It's introducing a whole new generation of people to a whole new style of Trek.
    edited September 2011
    dvsaris wrote: »
    I think we can logically assume that "this timeline" is pretty much over. Everything we're going to see in the future is going to be based in the JJverse. It's introducing a whole new generation of people to a whole new style of Trek.

Not if people among the entire fan base loath the next movie. If the next movie has the critical appeal like most of the Transformers movies then I think Star Trek will sink back into hiatus. I don't think the next movie will do as well as the first it is the laws of sequels. Besides I don't think CBS will follow suit. Because Paramount may own the movie rights but CBS owns the series rights and the right to make series'.
    edited September 2011

Well, if that is how it would be, then I'll accept it and would still like a TV series as soon as possible. :cool:
    I really enjoyed the latest movie anyway.
    edited September 2011
    Not if people among the entire fan base loath the next movie. If the next movie has the critical appeal like most of the Transformers movies then I think Star Trek will sink back into hiatus. I don't think the next movie will do as well as the first it is the laws of sequels. Besides I don't think CBS will follow suit. Because Paramount may own the movie rights but CBS owns the series rights and the right to make series'.

Considering the 2009 movie was more highly acclaimed than ANY of the preceding ones, I'm gonna say the "fan base" is happy with the JJverse.

As many of us "hard core" Mirror Universe fans as there are you'd think we would all be jumping for joy to see a more actiony Trek where Enterprise is kicking A's and taking names.
    edited September 2011

We've learned.

More Trek please.
    edited September 2011
    The Law of Sequels:
    • Godfather, Pt. II
    • Empire Strikes Back
    • The Dark Knight
    • Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior
    • Aliens
    • 27 Weeks Later
    Considering the 2009 movie was more highly acclaimed than ANY of the preceding ones, I'm gonna say the "fan base" is happy with the JJverse.

As many of us "hard core" Mirror Universe fans as there are you'd think we would all be jumping for joy to see a more actiony Trek where Enterprise is kicking A's and taking names.
    ST 2009 was the highest reviewed and highest grossing, afaik, of all the Star Trek Films (even adjusted for inflation).
    edited September 2011
    The Law of Sequels:
    • Godfather, Pt. II
    • Empire Strikes Back
    • The Dark Knight
    • Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior
    • Aliens
    • 27 Weeks Later

ST 2009 was the highest reviewed and highest grossing, afaik, of all the Star Trek Films (even adjusted for inflation).

27 weeks later you can take off the list as it wasn't an improvement over 28 days. How funny that you bring the exceptions to that rule The Godfather was a fantastic film its next movie while as successful is just a second part of the trilogy. The same can be said about Empire except it did not top A New Hope in grossing. I can list so many movies that did not match up to the first movie as you can see with movies.

Highest grossing is subject to how profitable it was compared to its budget. Wrath of Khan was made on 11 million Dollars and made a little over 90-97 million so in terms of profitability and in 1982 that was nearly unprecedented and an improvement over TMP. Star Trek 09 sure was rated highly but you have to consider our time of films right now as they have to excite people with action while the story can be really crappy and filled with plot holes that are so unreal. So the quality of film can be argued now days has gone down a bit.

Matrix Reloaded
    The Next Karate Kid
    Porkeys 2
    Teen Wolf Too
    Legally Blonde 2
    The Godfather part 3
    Revenge of the Nerds 2
    Battle for the Planet of the Apes
    Ocean's Twelve
    Dumb and Dumberer
    Conan the Destroyer
    The Sting II
    Star Wars Episode 1
    Dirty Dancing 2
    Any Jaws sequel
    Speed 2
    Any Friday the 13th after 2
    Fly 2
    Batman and Robin
    Batman Forever
    Blue Brothers 2000
    Caddyshack 2
    Ghostbusters 2
    The exorcist prequels and sequels
    Carrie sequel and remake
    Rocky V
    Major League 2 (sucked so bad I stopped watching 15 minutes)
    Halloween movies after the original
    Matrix Revolutions
    Superman 3 and 4
    Staying alive (sequel to Saturday Night Fever)

Need I go on?
    edited September 2011
    /10characters

I meant as in "your society" comment.
    edited September 2011

Then Trek is dead :(
    edited September 2011

Yep. Sadly it probably is.
    edited September 2011

Your Trek is dead, mine is alive and well.
    edited September 2011
    hope this jj abrams movie is better then his last one. i thought super8 sucked
    edited September 2011
    Star Trek 2: Lense Flare's Revenge. Coming to theaters 2013. :D

There are four hundred lights!!!
    edited September 2011
    I meant as in "your society" comment.

It was a direct response to your "society" comment in which you seem to lump everyone together, so I was just separating myself from this stero-typical society you have either placed yourself in or are trying to place myself in since you have absolutely no idea what every person in the world is waiting for nor how long they have been waiting for. You possibly cannot put everyone into such a stero-type without knowing these things. Otherwise, it would be an outright insult and personal attack upon people's very nature.
    society needs to re-learn on how to wait for something. :rolleyes:
    edited September 2011
    "J.J. Abrams Stops Playing McCoy" hahaha nice.
    edited September 2011
    valmont808 wrote: »
    hope this jj abrams movie is better then his last one. i thought super8 sucked

I have several long and vocierous comments about this, but I don't troll. (normally)