test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Keeping the STOBoat afloat

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Storm, all I know is this.....there are people that have genuine grievences, and when people get outright dismissed by the powers that bein a manner that can even be viewed as condescending ....than tends to provoke people. But who moderates the powers that be? And I'll leave it at that.
    edited August 2011
    QuanManChu wrote:
    Storm, all I know is this.....there are people that have genuine grievences, and when people get outright dismissed by the powers that be, than tends to provoke people. But who moderates the powers that be? And I'll leave it at that.

Which really doesn't have anything to do with Stormy. Any problems we might have with the game are out of the scope of what he does.

His job is to enforce the forum rules and pass along our concerns to those who need to hear them. Obviously he's reading the thread. So he's probably hearing this, and hopefully making it known to those who are involved with the issues.

Him being here, all-in-all, is probably a good sign. If nothing else it means that someone at Cryptic is reading this.
    edited August 2011
    Which really doesn't have anything to do with Stormy. Any problems we might have with the game are out of the scope of what he does.

His job is to enforce the forum rules and pass along our concerns to those who need to hear them. Obviously he's reading the thread. So he's probably hearing this, and hopefully making it known to those who are involved with the issues.

Him being here, all-in-all, is probably a good sign. If nothing else it means that someone at Cryptic is reading this.

As long as things don't onesided, I'll continue to post, otherwise there is no point.
    edited August 2011
    StormShade wrote:
    Thanks for the quick edits guys! :D

stormshade posted in the STO forum? I thought he was still going through coucelling for post traumatic stress disorder from his last stint :D
    edited August 2011
    Dstahl,

I have been kind of quiet of late since RL has a tendancy to walk up and kick you in the rear. Butenough of that - I am here to point out some items.

1st I think you have been the most cut to the chase leaders at Cryptic. I personally like that you will say "That is the way it is" even if people get ticked - that is called being a leader.

That said, here is how I look at it - from the outside.

You talk about releasing items and fre content - however, I see almost weekly C-Store releases whereas free content is minimal at best - non-existent at worst. But your right - C-Store = revenue and free = no revenue. Given the choice I rather have revenue. But at the end of the day, lipstick on a pig still does not change the fact it is pig you are looking at.

Not to give any god awful ideas, but I would pay (if it is needed) to have more areas added. For a game set in the 'universe' it is pretty small - and I mean small. I thought there was supposed to be some 'genesis' system that would populate new sectors and make the universe grow and expand. But alas that never came to be. Same with the recruiting new aliens from exploration missions and being able to revisit explored planets. Going to stop there before I go on a tirade on all the broken promises the canned executive producers before you made.

As for the idea of trading real money for in game resources as you mentioned - that is called a gold farming. However, it seems Perfect World (a Chinese Corporation) wants to dominate that piece of the action with the exchange of money (C-points) for 'dithium'. Least this way it would be a pay to play game and well - as I have resources - I can dominate if I wish. Though I feel sorry for the marginal causal player - they are going to get hosed. However if you want to stop this from happening and not downright TRIBBLE up the economy - make it a 1 way transaction - C-Points to Dithium and then the dithium can be traded.

Now going to finish up with this - Dan - You have been honest with us so far. Please keep it up. I like that about you. But please don't 'spin' items even if it will look bad. Afterall - the Pay to Play model seems to work - some of the world's largest MMO's are just that.

Blak
    edited August 2011
    Blakinik wrote:
    Dstahl,

1st I think you have been the most cut to the chase leaders at Cryptic. I personally like that you will say "That is the way it is" even if people get ticked - that is called being a leader.

I agree that Dstahl has been firm, firm in his refusal to give straight answers to key questions which could end much of the speculation and worrying rife on this forum at the moment.

You talk about releasing items and fre content - however, I see almost weekly C-Store releases whereas free content is minimal at best - non-existent at worst. But your right - C-Store = revenue and free = no revenue. Given the choice I rather have revenue. But at the end of the day, lipstick on a pig still does not change the fact it is pig you are looking at.

More content would lead to more subs and hence more revenue in the long run though, right? Putting all dev focus on the C Store seems a tad short sighted.

Not to give any god awful ideas, but I would pay (if it is needed) to have more areas added. For a game set in the 'universe' it is pretty small - and I mean small. I thought there was supposed to be some 'genesis' system that would populate new sectors and make the universe grow and expand. But alas that never came to be. Same with the recruiting new aliens from exploration missions and being able to revisit explored planets. Going to stop there before I go on a tirade on all the broken promises the canned executive producers before you made.

I worry about having actual AREAS of the game where only people who pay can get in. It further splits the games not massive population, and assuming that there is actually anything to do in such an area (if not then what is the point), it would mean that some of the content in the game (and lets be frank there has not been much recently) would not be available to all.

As for the idea of trading real money for in game resources as you mentioned - that is called a gold farming. However, it seems Perfect World (a Chinese Corporation) wants to dominate that piece of the action with the exchange of money (C-points) for 'dithium'. Least this way it would be a pay to play game and well - as I have resources - I can dominate if I wish. Though I feel sorry for the marginal causal player - they are going to get hosed. However if you want to stop this from happening and not downright TRIBBLE up the economy - make it a 1 way transaction - C-Points to Dithium and then the dithium can be traded.

'As for the idea of trading real money for in game resources as you mentioned - that is called a gold farming.' Perfectly put.

Now going to finish up with this - Dan - You have been honest with us so far. Please keep it up. I like that about you. But please don't 'spin' items even if it will look bad. Afterall - the Pay to Play model seems to work - some of the world's largest MMO's are just that.

I would not go so far as to say that he has been DIShonest, but in regard the the important questions raised in this thread he has certainly tap danced around them and avoided them. And I think claiming that there is no agreement amongst players over whether the RI is more powerful than other ships of its tier may count as quite the spin job.

Blak

Thanks for sharing how you see things at present, just thought I would do the same.:D
    edited August 2011
    Cryptic devs are always Cryptic.
    edited August 2011
    Blakinik wrote:
    Been kind of quiet of late since RL has a tendancy to walk up and kick you in the rear. Butenough of that - I am here to point out some items.

This is the kind of thing we should never, and I repeat never, post on the forums. It's not funny, it's not cool, and it's not appropriate. To some degree, we all have to somewhat police ourselves before the moderators do. In your case, I really think a revision to your post is in order.

That's not quite what being a leader means. A leader makes the tough decisions because nobody else wants to or, at the very least, the others aren't suited for the position. Often times, that's not being frank, that's "doing the dirty work." (They're not mutually exclusive, but they're also not necessarily mutually inclusive either.)

Being a leader for a prolonged period of time usually means that you develop the best method to convey your principles to your audience and want them to believe in your message. If you cannot do that, you will not be a leader for long. After all, the only power leaders have is the power they're given. (witness many leaders toppled over the course of the last few centuries. or, in current contexts, customers leaving to go to another business until the current administration is replaced, lost, or otherwise corrected.)

I'm more concerned about the direction your logic leads rather than the specific content within it. Express your ideas, certainly. But, try to approach it somewhat logically and dispassionately.
    edited August 2011
    AuntKathy wrote:
    This is the kind of thing we should never, and I repeat never, post on the forums. It's not funny, it's not cool, and it's not appropriate. To some degree, we all have to somewhat police ourselves before the moderators do. In your case, I really think a revision to your post is in order.

I was under the impression Blakinik was talking about himself...

Z
    edited August 2011
    zordar wrote: »

Z

Seconded- I read that to mean it was the posters and not Dstahl's rear that was kicked.;)
    edited August 2011
    zordar wrote: »

Z

I was - RL is / continues / will continue to kick me in the rear :)

Blak
    edited August 2011
    AuntKathy wrote:

That's not quite what being a leader means. A leader makes the tough decisions because nobody else wants to or, at the very least, the others aren't suited for the position. Often times, that's not being frank, that's "doing the dirty work." (They're not mutually exclusive, but they're also not necessarily mutually inclusive either.)

Being a leader for a prolonged period of time usually means that you develop the best method to convey your principles to your audience and want them to believe in your message. If you cannot do that, you will not be a leader for long. After all, the only power leaders have is the power they're given. (witness many leaders toppled over the course of the last few centuries. or, in current contexts, customers leaving to go to another business until the current administration is replaced, lost, or otherwise corrected.)

I'm more concerned about the direction your logic leads rather than the specific content within it. Express your ideas, certainly. But, try to approach it somewhat logically and dispassionately.

1st Part was about me - editted and fixed this.

As for leader - leaders are there to make the tough choices. Unfortuantely leadership tends to be lacking these days in all aspects of our lives (don't even get me started on politics - here is defintetly not the time or place to do that :) ). But will give it to dan that from what I have seen he makes a decision and sticks too it - doesn't flap in the wind based on a dedicated set of players that post here. Problem I see is Dan is in a rock and a hard place - No matter the direction he goes, likelihood he will tick atleasty someone off. But as my momma taught me a long time ago - Can't please everyone all the time. But what they can do is tick everyone off all the time :)

All joking aside though - we could hym and haw all day about what Cryptic should be doing but ultimately it comes down to Dan and his decision that drive it.

But here is how I envision Dan's day goes:

1. Dan gets 15 projects that all have varying times to completion but only 5 developers.
    2. Each developer can only do 1 task at a time.
    3. Dan opts to knock out 4 easy things and has one work on a tough issue so hopefully that is the easy one.
    4. Dan gets on the forums and gets crtized for not picking a different combo.

I perfectly believe that Perfect World will likely feed additional resources into this IP given the value of the IP as well as an upcoming movie next year to springboard off of as well. But from what Dan said (and sounded like he was complaining about) was Atari was tiring to bleed every single last cent out of Cryptic up too and including likely perk removal (i.e. free coffee). Having recently (like in the past 3 yrs) gone thru something similar at my work, I can understand the problem (ours was free bottles of water).

Blak
    edited August 2011
    All I know is this....I paid an LTS after seeing a change I thought would be progressive. And it hurts to see that my good faith has been misplaced. (this is not trolling, insulting, flaming, venting or otherwise trying to disrupt normal forum activity....its just me stating a fact.)
    edited August 2011
    QuanManChu wrote:
    All I know is this....I paid an LTS after seeing a change I thought would be progressive. And it hurts to see that my good faith has been misplaced. (this is not trolling, insulting, flaming, venting or otherwise trying to disrupt normal forum activity....its just me stating a fact.)

Ahhh... just give it a month...

Most things that seem Dire today, are usually a footnote, when looked back on after a period of time.

Perhaps in a months time, when (Hopefully) things start to happen, you'll have a brighter outlook.

It's not like either one of us are going to be going anywhere anyway, this place is just a few clicks away.

:)
    edited August 2011
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Ahhh... just give it a month...

Most things that seem Dire today, are usually a footnote, when looked back on after a period of time.

Perhaps in a months time, when (Hopefully) things start to happen, you'll have a brighter outlook.

It's not like either one of us are going to be going anywhere anyway, this place is just a few clicks away.

:)

If I had a monthly account, I'd be inclinded to be more freespirited, why? I'd only lose whatever remaining game time would I leave. As a Lifer, I trusted this game to go the direction they indicated when I first paid for it. And now I can't help but feel mislead.
    edited August 2011
    QuanManChu wrote:
    If I had a monthly account, I'd be inclinded to be more freespirited, why? I'd only lose whatever remaining game time would I leave. As a Lifer, I trusted this game to go the direction they indicated when I first paid for it. And now I can't help but feel mislead.

As a lifer, I can take a break whenever I want and log back in whenever I want. Might want to take a break from the game for the peace of mind it might give. From the looks of it, STO devs had a rough patch that they kept under wraps for whatever reason. I am personally waiting to see how Perfect World's influence will change the game. Might have already seen it with the RI, but that is just speculation.
    edited August 2011
    starkaos wrote: »
    As a lifer, I can take a break whenever I want and log back in whenever I want. Might want to take a break from the game for the peace of mind it might give. From the looks of it, STO devs had a rough patch that they kept under wraps for whatever reason. I am personally waiting to see how Perfect World's influence will change the game. Might have already seen it with the RI, but that is just speculation.

Well, the thing is this...I didn't buy a Lifer account to take breaks. I want to enjoy the game. And with current going's on, I honestly can't. Too many friends have left for more reasons (all perfectly legit) than I care to list here, and the likelyhood of most of them returning are next to nil.
    edited August 2011
    QuanManChu wrote:
    Well, the thing is this...I didn't buy a Lifer account to take breaks. I want to enjoy the game. And with current going's on, I honestly can't. Too many friends have left for more reasons (all perfectly legit) than I care to list here, and the likelyhood of most of them returning are next to nil.

Honestly, if you aren't enjoyying something (but don't loose anything by taking a break); especially in regard to an MMO, that IS the best time to take a break, find something you do enjoy; and then come back to said MMO after they've added stuff you think you will enjoy. Over the like of the MMO (and depending how you look at things regarding what you paid) - if you get more 15 - 24 months total where you really enjoyed yourself in the MMO, you saved money. And considering the length MMOs run (EQ is on its 12 year, WoW on its 7th, EVE Online on its 8th, etc.) chances are pretty good you'll have saved money in the long run over a month top month sub.

But honestly, the surest way to burn out and become so totallly disgusted with an MMO is to continue playing it (because for whatever reason you feel you have to) when you don't enjoy it.

- I really burned out with EQ that way (felt obligated to the great Guild I was in at the time.); and I've seen Guildmates in other MMOs go through the same thing; and really end up hating the game they were once a part of.

But in the end, what you do is up to you.
    edited August 2011
    Armsman wrote: »
    Honestly, if you aren't enjoyying something (but don't loose anything by taking a break); especially in regard to an MMO, that IS the best time to take a break, find something you do enjoy; and then come back to said MMO after they've added stuff you think you will enjoy. Over the like of the MMO (and depending how you look at things regarding what you paid) - if you get more 15 - 24 months total where you really enjoyed yourself in the MMO, you saved money. And considering the length MMOs run (EQ is on its 12 year, WoW on its 7th, EVE Online on its 8th, etc.) chances are pretty good you'll have saved money in the long run over a month top month sub.

But honestly, the surest way to burn out and become so totallly disgusted with an MMO is to continue playing it (because for whatever reason you feel you have to) when you don't enjoy it.

- I really burned out with EQ that way (felt obligated to the great Guild I was in at the time.); and I've seen Guildmates in other MMOs go through the same thing; and really end up hating the game they were once a part of.

But in the end, what you do is up to you.

If I felt free to speak my mind, I'd voice my concerns....but obviously...I can't. So as a result, it is leaving me jaded.
    edited August 2011
    It sounds like buying C-Points from other players will be done via the Exchange. Which means ludicrous prices. Which means the easiest and quickest way to get C-Store items will continue to be through RMT's.

Ingenious if you think about it from a business standpoint. The cash flowing into your cash shop will probably continue about the same. Maybe even more if people begin buying C-Points to sell for "Dilithium". Meanwhile, you get players off your back about in-game methods to obtain all items.
    edited August 2011
    QuanManChu wrote:
    If I felt free to speak my mind, I'd voice my concerns....but obviously...I can't. So as a result, it is leaving me jaded.

well you could do what most of my fleet does each week and we play another game ill list a few

LOTR
    AOC
    RIFT
    COD black ops
    world of tanks

most of these games are free now what we do is play another game and when we feel like some space pvp we log into sto and have our st fix seems to be working well
    edited August 2011
    AuntKathy wrote:
    This is not only abject fear talking, it is fear based out of few facts squeezed in with a smidge of supposition (and by a smidge, I mean a heaping helping). Until they release their figures, you have no idea how many actual customer accounts exist now or then. If you're going to lambaste the other player for making suppositions based on little evidence, make sure you aren't doing the same.

You said in a previous post that you live in fear of things you see in game. Well, that's you. Misery loves company, but please leave it at the doorstep. Thank you.

Well, as you can only assume the majority of the playerbase feels the way you do, so I must assume the majority feels the way I do. Who of us is right remains to be seen, but I believe we both have a fair portion of the playerbase behind our seperate views.

And on belhalf of myself, and whatever portion of the playerbase (and pool of potential players) that agree with me, I can say that having this game go too far in the direction of pay2win will drive me/us away from this game!

If you feel that this unknown portion of the playerbase is expendable, that's your right, but I would rather try to keep this group in STO.

AuntKathy wrote:
    This is the kind of thing we should never...

I prefer it when moderating is left to the moderators..
    edited August 2011
    As an old man and as a new player just recently dumping WOW I think you all need to give some time to the new admins (PWI) to see what comes out, PWI is very good at making new content, it tis true they make a lot of CS items, I have played and still play couple of their game, I think we all should take a step back, enjoy the game, or at least the parts you still like. To the critics, many of the players voicing their opinions here is not to destroy the game, they are voicing because they like the game and want to see a better future for it.

The same problems are plaguing every single MMO out there, people get tired quick and need more new content to satisfy the need for enetertainment.
    edited August 2011
    TripQue wrote: »
    Recently, dstahl wrote the following:

"STO needs to continually add new items to the C-Store to stay on track financially."

I would respectfully argue:

"STO needs to continually (and rapidly) add new content to the game (thus ensuring new and renewed subscriptions) to stay on track financially."

Thoughts?
    what ^ he said

New content and by content i do not mean C-STORE TRIBBLE, actual playable content that fits within the IP.

You know, like actually exploring new systems, bedding the green chicks, and some real raid type instances.
    Basically anything remotely like Star Trek, not the endless TRIBBLE being fed to the CDF fromt he C-store.

Make your money off developing the game past a point fo it jsut being a fancy URL with a link to a Virtual store.

I say shame on all the dev's. this game is nothing like what was promised, and far from the success all the CDF would believe.
    If this game is going to rely on the C-store to continue its doomed to failure.
    edited August 2011
    TrentTyler wrote: »
    what ^ he said

New content and by content i do not mean C-STORE TRIBBLE, actual playable content that fits within the IP.

You know, like actually exploring new systems, bedding the green chicks, and some real raid type instances.
    Basically anything remotely like Star Trek, not the endless TRIBBLE being fed to the CDF fromt he C-store.

Make your money off developing the game past a point fo it jsut being a fancy URL with a link to a Virtual store.

I say shame on all the dev's. this game is nothing like what was promised, and far from the success all the CDF would believe.
    If this game is going to rely on the C-store to continue its doomed to failure.

Shame indeed, this game is a husk of the bold claims made by Cryptic in the 'early days', the balance between new C-Store stuff vs actual new content is at this stage almost vulgar.

I can imagine Captain Picard looking at this sorry situation and repeating his 'I wonder if the Emperor Honorius really knew the Roman Empire was about to fall...' speech, because it seems that some people simply will not see the writing on the wall here :(

Obviously this is not the end, but if the precident set here continues, then we may very well look back on this as the last part of one chapter for STO, and the start of another- which may well be named 'decline and fall'.
    edited August 2011
    DonGui wrote: »
    Shame indeed, this game is a husk of the bold claims made by Cryptic in the 'early days', the balance between new C-Store stuff vs actual new content is at this stage almost vulgar.

I can imagine Captain Picard looking at this sorry situation and repeating his 'I wonder if the Emperor Honorius really knew the Roman Empire was about to fall...' speech, because it seems that some people simply will not see the writing on the wall here :(

Obviously this is not the end, but if the precident set here continues, then we may very well look back on this as the last part of one chapter for STO, and the start of another- which may well be named 'decline and fall'.

Only time will tell, but from the pattern I've seen so far....the meat of this game is pushed back in favor of these other things.
    edited August 2011
    I hear your pain, the game must be balanced, the game cannot be all content and no profit for the devs (salary, expenses, costs etc) So the CS is the balance when good things are posted. Maybe creating packages of buffs, istones to unbound those bounds items, packages of materials "rare type" etc, there are many ideas of items that can be placed in CS without destroying the balance of the game, there are so many models of ships that can be implemented in CS with a + benefit without pay to win. Maybe sell som schematics unique only to the CS?
    edited August 2011
    Kutunto wrote:
    I hear your pain, the game must be balanced, the game cannot be all content and no profit for the devs (salary, expenses, costs etc) So the CS is the balance when good things are posted. Maybe creating packages of buffs, istones to unbound those bounds items, packages of materials "rare type" etc, there are many ideas of items that can be placed in CS without destroying the balance of the game, there are so many models of ships that can be implemented in CS with a + benefit without pay to win. Maybe sell som schematics unique only to the CS?

ok so how about C points and EC and latinum... have a common currency that can be allowed in game... latinum... if you are a fed then you can get credits... if you want C-Store items...then use latinum or real money to obtain the points.... easy yes?
    edited August 2011
    I am all for 1 currency, I think some MMOs have gone trought the hassle of multiple currency to deter gold sellers and gold spammers. 4 Currencies are too many.
    edited August 2011
    TripQue wrote: »
    Recently, dstahl wrote the following:

"STO needs to continually add new items to the C-Store to stay on track financially."

I would respectfully argue:

"STO needs to continually (and rapidly) add new content to the game (thus ensuring new and renewed subscriptions) to stay on track financially."

Thoughts?

I dunno... i would tend to trust the man in charge as opposed to the people in the forums on what Cryptic thinks STO needs to stay afloat.