test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic Transition Details

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Perfect World's acquisition of Cryptic Studios is complete! So, what does this mean for you? Visit our informational page via the link below, then come back to this thread to discuss or post any questions you may have.

Cryptic Transition Informational Page
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Thanks for keeping us informed :)
    edited August 2011
    a pretty uneventful transition, and i mean that in a good way. seem like business as usual. glad we keep our point and also good to hear that there is no change to existing lifetime subs.

i look forward to seeing the dev teams increase in size and things returning to normal on the content front.
    edited August 2011
    I am glad to see that my life time subscription will be honored entirely. Thank you for the update.
    edited August 2011
    Aw, I was hoping that my lifetime STO membership would be combined with my Champs account.

JK :D

Very uneventful, which is the best kind of event when a busniess changes hands.
    edited August 2011
    yeah. figured.
    Thanks for the reaffirmation
    edited August 2011
    OMG I can't believe Cryptic is doing this to us this is so unfair if I had a right mind I'd...

Oh, wait, its entirely reasonable and there's nothing bad in any of these documents. Hmmm. :)
    edited August 2011
    Is the conversion between Atari Tokens and Cryptic Points going to be at a 1:1 ratio?

Probably will be, but it may be best to state it clearly in the FAQ.
    edited August 2011
    Hey Cryptic, congrats on what was an apparently smooth transition to your new PWI Overlords. :D

Thanks for seeing to it that the STO and CO LTSs remain unchanged and for letting me keep my Cryptic Points (n
    edited August 2011
    Staran wrote: »
    yeah. figured.
    Thanks for the reaffirmation

I am kind of hoping that the c-store goes in a better direction than it has been due to some of us players have monetary priorities other than playing games. They better start doing some kind of currency to get these tokens without paying money on top of a sub and start delivering some more content. Also for the love of whatever make the Galaxy X and Nausicaan ship easier to obtain for what they do the cost in game or on c-store is not justified its more of a collectors item. Only way I could see them being worth so much is if those special attack skills were actually bound weapons to the ships themselves and not just a skill.
    edited August 2011
    Is the conversion between Atari Tokens and Cryptic Points going to be at a 1:1 ratio?

Probably will be, but it may be best to state it clearly in the FAQ.

Everything I've seen says that the currency is changing in name only.
    edited August 2011
    I just hope this is for the best of the STO, Cryptic itself and all the players.

hopefully we will see an improvement
    edited August 2011
    Great information, short & to the point. I like a long Engineering Report or Ask Cryptic but this cut right to the heart of the matter. My only remaining questions:

>Will the studio move overseas & as such change the timezones for scheduled down time or events?

>Is there serious talk going around the tables about F2P & if that happens when do you think we will see it implemented?

> I read that the forum rules will change, in what manner do you foresee this happening, & will it relate to in-game socializing/content as well?

>This is probably more up to CBS, but will we be seeing more graphic content or more restricted? Or no change since the game itself carries the T rating?

I'm not saying I want the game to have more gore & violence etc., that is not where I would want to see Star Trek go. I ask because certain restrictions force you to cut corners, & removal or easing of those restrictions can sometimes lead to a wider array of story telling. I'm not saying we should put in bloody worms erupting from the chest like in TNG's Conspiracy, but there's no denying that that was an epic moment & I don't think the game should be afraid to at least tiptoe into that territory & maybe even revisit that story. The signal is out there... !

I so want to land on a dark red planet with 3 suspicious admirals like T'Nae, Quinn & Karebbah & as the tension begins to rise, one of them starts wigging out! Oh so I wonder if a joined Trill can even become a host, would they be immune, would the two parasites compete for dominance or would the symbiote also fall prey?

Thanks again, I'm sure this has put a lot of inquisitive minds at ease. I wish you all the best & look forward to the new & improved Cryptic!
    -DrD
    edited August 2011
    I'm just happy that there was no blood on either side. I was hesitant to get STO due to Atari logo. But glad you guys/gals keeping us updated.
    edited August 2011
    Congratulation on the transition from Atari to PW, lord knows what went on behind the scenes over the last couple of months but it's nice to see the day has finally arrived. Looking forward to the team getting back to focusing on development and hopefully not having to worry about transitioning anymore. :D
    I notice that the Atari Logo is also gone from the main page now, the only connection to the former is the fact that you're still directed to Atari in order to purchase the game, hopefully this will change too soon.
    edited August 2011
    I still don't see what will happen to my ATARI Tokens on my ATARI Account?
    (i also have Test Drive Unlimited 2 from ATARI so i may keep using that Account ...without STO)

Lets say i have 400 Atari Tokens on my ATARI Account.

all you told me is that after the change i will have a separate Cryptic Account with 400 C-Points.
    You did not tell me what will happen to my ATARI Account.

Do you Copy & Paste the points into my Cryptic Account or CUT & Paste ... as in, removing the Atari Tokens from my Atari Account or not?

All i know now i that i will have a Cryptic Account with 400 C-Points ....which was to be expected.
    But what will i have on my Atari Account? 0 or 400?

That is what was irritating me from the start and it still is.

Because YOU can't know if i intend to buy STO Spaceships or TDU2 Cars with my Points... not if i don't know myself.
    edited August 2011
    Relieved to see this:
    Q: Will my Lifetime Subscription(s) still be honored?

A: Your Lifetime Subscription to Champions Online: Free for All and/or Star Trek Online will remain the same and will not be altered in any form. Your Lifetime Subscription is valid for the life of the game.

The one interesting thing I see is that:
    Q: How will customer support work? Top

We have transitioned our Atari customer support related to Cryptic games to product-specific customer support for Cryptic titles. There should be no interruption in service.

Yet the "Support" link on the STO Website still takes you to the Atari.com support page for STO. (and for Champions Online as well.)

But overall, it looks like things will pretty much remain the same as far as existing Cryptic MMOs go - but they might make more use of PWE's account management infrastructure down the road.

I also saw a post by Stormshade on the Cryptic NeverWinter forums, and while it does focus on the specific NeverWinter situation - there's stuff there taht applies to the rest of Cryptic, that I think is a good sign going forward, if it continues (link to Post):

But the part (IMO) relevent to Cryptic (and STO) in general:

StormShade wrote:
    Perfect World, our new owners, have decided that they would like us to take more time to make Neverwinter a "more immersive experience". This doesn't mean that production on Neverwinter is stopping (The truth is the exact opposite). This doesn't mean that Neverwinter is being cancelled. This doesn't mean that Perfect World is taking over development and making a grindfest. This means Perfect World is allowing us (Cryptic) another year to work on the game, polish it, and release a better Neverwinter.
    Originally Posted by V-Mink
    Hell, if this is indicative of how PW wants to run STO as well, bring on our Perfect World overlords! =)

We couldn't agree more. This really is a good thing gang. I know you've been hearing me say the word, "soon" an awful lot lately. Unfortunately, we've had to be pretty quiet while certain things got all wrapped up....

Thanks,

Stormshade

So, again, in the end, this is looking to be a very positive step for Cryptic, STO and the playerbase; and hopefully they'll be able to move away from a situation caused by Atari essentially underfunding a lot of development, and not giving Cryptic developers a lot of time to finish/polish things to a point where we'll still get content and expansions; and there will be time pressure for sure; but hopefully we'll no longer see a cash strapped company wanting things out now, regardless of status, so they can make a quick buck before the debt collectors come a calling...(which honestly seemed to be Atari's attitude with everything Cryptic related.)

Time will tell.
    edited August 2011
    Z3R0B4NG wrote: »
    I still don't see what will happen to my ATARI Tokens on my ATARI Account?
    (i also have Test Drive Unlimited 2 from ATARI so i may keep using that Account ...without STO)

Lets say i have 400 Atari Tokens on my ATARI Account.

all you told me is that after the change i will have a separate Cryptic Account with 400 C-Points.
    You did not tell me what will happen to my ATARI Account.

Do you Copy & Paste the points into my Cryptic Account or CUT & Paste ... as in, removing the Atari Tokens from my Atari Account or not?

All i know now i that i will have a Cryptic Account with 400 C-Points ....which was to be expected.
    But what will i have on my Atari Account? 0 or 400?

That is what was irritating me from the start and it still is.

Because YOU can't know if i intend to buy STO Spaceships or TDU2 Cars with my Points... not if i don't know myself.

From what I read, if you don't play STO or CHO but you purchased Atari Tokens, they will remain Atari Tokens. But if you do play either of them, they will take note of that on your account & transfer them to your Cryptic account. By all rights I would surmise that your Atari account will vanish or simply be empty if you've played STO or CHO.

I won't have a problem with this, but hopefully there will be a "leading off" exchange system for the last month or so so people can re-exchange their currency if they didn't want the transfer to take place, but if they could manage that I doubt it will last.
    edited August 2011
    Glad to hear that things are finally moving forward. I'm especially relieved about the nagging questions regarding the LTS holders and those with AP. Great to know that nothing is being changed in this regards.

I do, however, have one question that isn't mentioned in the FAQ:

Should Cryptic and PWI accounts become one, what happens if we have an account with Perfect World? Would we get the option of merging them together?
    edited August 2011
    I knew this transition would be smooth. Good job Cryptic and our new friends at Perfect World! :D
    edited August 2011
    I remember reading somewhere that they said that they are transferring the Atari Points to Cryptic Points (which it was at launch), at a 1:1 ratio, however I can not find the source. Something tells me that they will not inadvertently let customers who paid for those tokens loose them, it would be very bad face for any company. If you are worried about potentially loosing them, I would suggest using them. However, I for one, am not worried about loosing them.
    edited August 2011
    It will be interesting to see if they convert Cryptic Points into PWE "Zen" later... simply because in PWE games, you can convert in-game currency into Zen.

This has both its good and bad points.

The possibility of this then suggesting CO and STO in-game currency could become C-points (Zen) is nice.

The flip side is, there are several PWE games in which the currency conversion seems to offer a better Zen per hour of playtime conversion than others (and possibly better than STO/CO, should that feature be added), and could mean we get Grind-happy in other PWE games simply to buy C-Store items... or worse, STO/CO gamers turning to PWE game goldfarmers for in-game currency that is cheaper to buy and covert to Zen than simply buying Zen directly from PWE...

Going to be quite an interesting ride!
    edited August 2011
    NateD wrote:
    I remember reading somewhere that they said that they are transferring the Atari Points to Cryptic Points (which it was at launch), at a 1:1 ratio, however I can not find the source. Something tells me that they will not inadvertently let customers who paid for those tokens loose them, it would be very bad face for any company. If you are worried about potentially loosing them, I would suggest using them. However, I for one, am not worried about loosing them.

Well, considering the original change of C-Points to Atari Tokens was 1:1, they'd be phasering off their own foot to do it in any ratio less than 1:1.

The question of what happens with Atarit Tokens if you play other Atari games is a trickier one, and that one does deserve some attention. But I think Atari would best be ablet o answer that.
    edited August 2011
    Excellent stuff!
    edited August 2011
    Here's a question that I haven't seen addressed yet.

Will PW accelerate any plans to add more localizations for STO?
    edited August 2011
    <snip, don't want to have false info here>

disclaimer: i care more about how the Situation is handled... i don't actually want my points to stay Atari Tokens
    edited August 2011
    What happens to my Atari account? I only ever made a Cryptic account, but it got ported over to Atari apparently... so what happens to it?
    edited August 2011
    Great and from our point of view, looks to be a seamless transition. Great job. I do have one question and/or concerns with the changes:
    The Privacy Policy will be changed/updated.

I'd personally like a little more clarification on the changes. Is it going to be the simple, replace Atari and Cryptic have access to all of your information you provided, to Perfect Worlds and Cryptic have access to all of your informatio? Or is it going to be along the lines of adding that line plus, and we will provide all of your information to all of our other subsidiaries and send you offers we think you might like or will make us lots of money off you?

I only ask because I have used many F2P companies, including PWE, and most including PWE enjoy making money off of your information. So I'd like to know if that is going to be the upcoming case here. If so, I will have to update my account information, etc. I have no personal problems with this model, other then the annoyance factor. But need to know up front, what kind of security risks this may subject my information too.

Other then that. Great job.
    edited August 2011
    Will there be an increase in game dev staff as cryptic is part of perfect world which would lead to an increase in speed of which game updates are tested and released?
    edited August 2011
    Congratulations to the team on a well done transition and keeping us well informed in the process.

May it bring new prosperity, a larger team, and a bigger budget to the game. :D
    edited August 2011
    Felderburg wrote: »
    What happens to my Atari account? I only ever made a Cryptic account, but it got ported over to Atari apparently... so what happens to it?

I think that's a question best asked of Atari as most likley Cryptic is only concerned with ensuring Cryptic customers are taken care of, and are realistically in no prosition to tell Atari what to do. As for Atari I would imagine they will keep you account info, and not close it, in the hopes that you will buy from them again in the future.