test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Andorian Antennae Animations

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I love that they added new Andorian Antennae that look more like they are as seen in Enterprise. They are my favorite species. In Enterprise, their antennae are highly sophisticated battery powered costume attachments with remote controls! They are very animated and augment emotional expression. I would LOVE to see animated Andorian antennae in the game! I used to do Star Trek RP in Second Life and I had a tricked out Andorian toon. He had awesome animated antennae! I know they can animate clothing pieces, so it shouldn't be too difficult. What do ya'll think?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Can they animate costume pieces? I can't think of any examples where they have.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Chookhlo wrote: »

Caitian tails.

I've been wanting animated antennae since launch so i definately think it'd be a good idea to add in eventually.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Cormoran wrote: »
    Caitian tails.

I've been wanting animated antennae since launch so i definately think it'd be a good idea to add in eventually.

I'm not sure those count... are those optional for Caitians? I wouldn't be surprised if adding something like that to the head wasn't trickier though, given how much the character creator can morph the head parts around.

I definitely like the idea though. Andorians are my favorite of the canon alien races, and I was really happy they finally added the proper (TOS) antennae for them.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Whether they count? I'm not sure I understand the basis of that question. Are they optional? I'm not sure I see the relevance of that question. The point is they are an animated attachment to a character. Orion slave girl loin cloths are also animated as they appear to flow in the breeze. The original series mirror universe belt does the same thing. Clearly, it can be done. Clearly, it has been done. I don't see how it makes a difference whether the animated pieces attaches to a butt, sash, or head. It might be slightly more complicated and involved to do it, but more difficult? Not really. I can't believe it's something people actually want to argue about. It's just a conversation about whether people would like to see this, and I thought it was a very fun idea.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I'm not sure those count... are those optional for Caitians? I wouldn't be surprised if adding something like that to the head wasn't trickier though, given how much the character creator can morph the head parts around.

I definitely like the idea though. Andorians are my favorite of the canon alien races, and I was really happy they finally added the proper (TOS) antennae for them.

Not optional for Caitians, but they are modifiable, you can have several different tails and change their thength, also considering they don't appear on any other toons they are most definately an addition to the basic models.

It's no trickier than adding tails to the butt which can also be morphed by the character creator (hips) without any issue to the tail itself. If it were the case that it is harder then the hard work is already done as they figured out how to add the antenna attachments already anyways, these would simply be animated attachements instead of static ones.
    TaylorEK wrote: »
    Orion slave girl loin cloths are also animated as they appear to flow in the breeze. The original series mirror universe belt does the same thing.

Just a quick clarification, those are animated via the games physics engine. I would imagine the antenna would work more like the Caitian tails. This doesn't change your point however, you're right in that it's been done and can be done with any issues of difficulty pretty much already worked out.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Thanks Cormoran for your friendly, accurate, and informative contribution to my thread!
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I support this initiative wholeheartedly as I find Andorian antennae to be extremely sexy.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Yes, actually they can. It is nothing diferent that the blinking eyes, the caitian tails and even the stances. They could simply add the movement of the antennae's to the character stances.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Not optional for Caitians, but they are modifiable, you can have several different tails and change their thength, also considering they don't appear on any other toons they are most definately an addition to the basic models.

Ah, thanks. Not having any Caitian characters myself, I wasn't sure if they were swappable or removable, which means they certainly count. However, I have a feeling its just as likely the bones for the tails are technically ALWAYS there on all characters, but there's no tail geometry attached to show the animation.
    It's no trickier than adding tails to the butt which can also be morphed by the character creator (hips) without any issue to the tail itself. If it were the case that it is harder then the hard work is already done as they figured out how to add the antenna attachments already anyways, these would simply be animated attachments instead of static ones.

I'd say its potentially a great deal trickier. The hip morph. scales up... the hips. The forehead area is affected by head scale, head width, head depth, head height, cranium height, cranium width, forehead slope, forehead width, and brow protrusion, and probably a few others as well. Also keep in mind the Andorian antennae are shared by Alien characters, and the slider ranges allowed there are a lot higher than on Andorians proper. I can definitely see a real risk of antennae becoming detached if you start trying to rig them to their own bones, which is why it could get messy to set up.

Heck, they don't even function properly on aliens NOW. I've got a character with an all Andorian crew, and I had to fudge it a bit by creating some "Andorians" out of aliens. Last time I checked these guys, the new TOS antennae are ripping and stretching pretty bad.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I have had one of our blue friends since feb 2010 and I would love for him to have a little love