test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Nerfing of the Data Samples

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Why do we need to collect red data samples anymore?....at 10k ECs is just easier to buy the Schematics then to worry about collecting/farming the data samples required to make them...

Yes..somebody at cryptic pushed the...easy button...for crafting...

Just take them out of the game or find something else to do with them, they are just taking up Bank slots now.

Oh yes...you have effectivally taken ALL schematics, and the 3 red data samples out of the economy. Along with dropping the Rare Data sample requiement from 3 to 2 for crafted purple items. Not only is it easier to make these powerful items, you have "Directly" effected pricing of all items being crafted for resale, by saturating the market.

If this was your plan all along, because of the whinning of lazy players, then remove ECs from the game too, and we can all just have whatever we want and do nothing to get it.

I do not want to be a cookie cutter player. We are all "NOT" the same and should not be. There are numerous players that have worked hard for what they have and its a "Slap" in our faces to give what we have to everybody else, so they can "be just like us". If they do not want to do the work to make themselves better and/or prepared to buy the better items, then they can wallow in their mediocrity.

...very disapointed in this nerf...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    ZachVerant wrote:
    Why do we need to collect red data samples anymore?....at 10k ECs is just easier to buy the Schematics then to worry about collecting/farming the data samples required to make them...

Just take them out of the game or find something else to do with them, they are just taking up Bank slots now.

Oh yes...you have effectivally taken ALL schematics, and the 3 red data samples out of the economy. Along with dropping the Rare Data sample requiement from 3 to 2 for crafted purple items. Not only is it easier to make these powerful items, you have "Directly" effected pricing of all items being crafted for resale, by saturating the market.

If this was your plan all along, because of the whinning of lazy players, then remove ECs from the game too, and we can all just have whatever we want and do nothing to get it.

I do not want to be a cookie cutter player. We are all "NOT" the same and should not be. There are numerous players that have worked hard for what they have and its a "Slap" in our faces to give what we have to everybody else, so they can "be just like us". If they do not want to do the work to make themselves better and/or prepared to buy the better items, then they can wallow in their mediocrity.

Whilst I can see where yuou're going with this, I'm of the thought that as long as it just stays the Delta Volanis (red - schematic) samples it's ok. Ultimatley you still have to farm to be able to actually craft the items themselves.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    It´s quite annoying to see VA characters in borgified ships slipstreaming past my puny Miranda when I try to do Delta Volanis exploration missions, so there is an improvement. :D
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    As a character levels up, it's still good for getting 10 crafting exp. Don't look at everything from a VA1/LG1 perspective.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    ZachVerant wrote:
    I do not want to be a cookie cutter player.

You farm the same stuff and craft the same items then you're still a cookie cutter player.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    The reds are used in other items besides schematics--such as T1 items.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I have to agree with the OP. Cryptic is constantly dumbing down the game to make it easier. We need more sophistication and complication to make it a challange so the reward is sweeter. I haven't crafted for over 6 months becuase its borring (yes I am at cap). I am holding my breath for the DOFF system.

Oh well, it could have been worse. They could have just started selling Schematics on the C-Store ;).
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    ZachVerant wrote:

While I can appreciate your concerns, especially in regards to the red data samples, there was a gross balancing issue with the rare particles. There can be a healthy economy with the rares if they are equally balanced between what you can craft with them while keeping them just as tedious to collect. Why do we need a TRIBBLE load of Dekyon rares sitting in our bank while having to pay a TRIBBLE load of ECs for a rare that I can actually craft something useful with? It made no sense.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    tyler42 wrote: »
    While I can appreciate your concerns, especially in regards to the red data samples, there was a gross balancing issue with the rare particles. There can be a healthy economy with the rares if they are equally balanced between what you can craft with them while keeping them just as tedious to collect. Why do we need a TRIBBLE load of Dekyon rares sitting in our bank while having to pay a TRIBBLE load of ECs for a rare that I can actually craft something useful with? It made no sense.

agreed.. i welcome the changes.. and as for the reds, they are still needed for things like the horta arnt they? i remember when that came out you could sell reds forgood ec.. if they add more items like that in the future the reds will still have value..

- x -
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    What goes as nerfing these days...

The game exploration clusters have always been designed in a way that for every tier and rank, there is an associated exploration cluster. The reliance on Tier 1 Anomalies broke this design.

The rare particle traces were supposed to be equal in value, afte rall they all have the same rarity and supposedly spawn rate. Yet in practice they were not, as some were required more often. This was also something that violated the design of the game and is now fixed.

No one can tell me it's "challenging" to scan for anomalies in a particular cluster, or requires a particularly degree of intellect to do so. You might say there are "time sinks" (oh, now I need to fly from B'Tran to Delta Voltanis, and my Sol Transwarp is on cooldown!) and there is a lot of boredom and repetition.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    jkstocbr wrote:
    I have to agree with the OP. Cryptic is constantly dumbing down the game to make it easier. We need more sophistication and complication to make it a challange so the reward is sweeter. I haven't crafted for over 6 months becuase its borring (yes I am at cap). I am holding my breath for the DOFF system.

Oh well, it could have been worse. They could have just started selling Schematics on the C-Store ;).

I'm curious how this is dumbing down the game. It's hardy an intellectual fete to press F at the nearest anomaly in Delta Volanis to collect enough materials to create a schematic with which to craft an item. All this has done is removed a tedious time sink for high level characters, low level characters (unless they're alts of capped characters) likely won't have 10k EC to spare for a schematic so will craft the schematic instead, gaining further crafting XP in the process. The only reason I can see anyone being upset over this is if they're the ones selling the pink materials at vastly inflated costs in full knowledge that they're needed by all.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Tedium != hard. Tedium = dull and uninteresting gameplay.
    And I'm really curious about this economic implosion the OP is ranting about. I spent 150k on red samples yesterday because *gasp* I needed them to level up my crafting! *shock horror* yeah, the red data samples have been devalued a bit, but with the ability to buy schematics for EC we now have a money sink in the game to combat inflation. That's a good thing.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    As far as the game economy goes, the closer the Exchange gets to the actual, listed, base EC value of any item the better. The Exchange rate has long needed serious equalization and I think it is happening.

Data samples have no intrinsic value to any of the vendors and can't be sold anywhere except the Exchange. Normally, that would have driven the Exchange prices down. They aren't particularly hard to obtain, but do require a considerable amount of time to collect... especially when you have to visit out-of-the-way exploration clusters to farm them. Thus why they always sold at a premium in the Exchange.

The effect of this was to greatly deflate the Exchange value of crafted items, especially back when there were no schematics and you needed several different types in quantity. The items themselves were worth far less than what the data samples themselves could sell for, even though some of the best gear in game was only readily available through crafting. It was never worth buying samples in order to craft anything for sale.

The current system is making all types of samples equally valuable. Allowing players to buy common schematics directly works against the over-inflation of the red-quality samples over the others, while still allowing credit-starved players to collect samples to be able to craft.

The DOFF system should allow some level of sample collection to offset the time-sink of farming samples. This will help to drive sample prices down even more. Hopefully we will get closer to the point where crafted items are at least as valuable as the samples needed to make them, if not more so.

It should be noted that the game is intentionally not called "Ferengi Marketplace Online".
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    The red data samples aren't just in Delta Volanis. They're in mission maps in the Orellius sector, and in the Arucanis Arm as well. But as I can see the OP's point. Also have to keep in mind that the red samples aren't just for the schematics. They're used for Mk II personal and ship weapons, as well as Mk II personal and ship equipment. Whilst there isn't much of a selection on that, Some people do craft things for friends or fleet members who have just started if they want something a bit stronger than the standard weapons or what the mission rewards give.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Maybe the DoFF system will bring in more uses for the data smaples? :-)
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Suricata wrote: »
    Maybe the DoFF system will bring in more uses for the data smaples? :-)

Who knows. It just might! We'll just have to wait and see like we always do ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    bluegeek wrote: »
    "Ferengi Marketplace Online".
    That sounds like an interesting idea for another Star Trek game...
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Isn't that cute, original poster is sad now that ridiculous prices can't be charged for red data on the exchange anymore...lol :D
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    The real error in the small revamp: Hargh'Pengs are still not craftable for Klingons. :p
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I totally agree Zach...

Cryptic makes things easier and easier and when Season 5 hits, everything is so bored without a challenge.

Where does the fun go?
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I totally agree Zach...

Cryptic makes things easier and easier and when Season 5 hits, everything is so bored without a challenge.

Where does the fun go?

Pretty much. It's part of a wider phenomena in gaming where everything is devalued by being made absurdly easy. It's ridiculous how much loot you can get in an hour's play; it's stupid how easy it is to level crafting to max.

We have a crafting system with no risk at all, which really is just a glorified vendor. Crafting should have always been conceptualised as your engineer using rare components and their experience with the ship to tweak existing equipment. You give your engineer a standard phaser array, give him a calibrated rare energy bank or whatever, and have him tailor that array for maximum performance. Not "buy the specifications with anomalies, use more anomalies to make a special item".

But it's made worse by the fact that itemisation in the game as a whole is plain off. Loot tables are too generous, gear is too cheap and crafting is too easy.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    ZachVerant wrote:

They use up your bank slots? Use em, bin them or sell them
    They are still part of the economy. Just much smaller one(quite frankly very rich players were buying up all the cheap reds and relisting at higher prices to gouge people)
    Easier crafting may have been implmented because not many people craft AND/OR trace drops are to fickle
    Suppose this will really annoy ppl who play the red samples market to rip people off

I am quite happy with this change and it means players arent at the mercy of the exchnage gougers.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Um, first off, I'm not sure how adding Schematics to the stores is a nerf to Data Samples. I mean, so they you can buy Schematics instead of making them now. So what? You can still make them and at the rate that you can collect Reds they are cheaper to make in the long run. And there are still a lot of items that require Reds for crafting. If you want to twink out your lower level characters, you still need Reds to do it.

Also, for starting crafters, it's still fastest to start by crafting 5 of each Schematic. This gets you easily to 1100 and sets you up to craft some useful items to work yourself to the cap. I built up two new crafters this weekend in less than 40 minutes with that method.

Don't take away what makes my method work.

Oh, and not all Schematics are worthless now. I sold a Delta Flyer Schematic for 850K over the weekend.

:cool: