test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

"KDF-Flavored" Featured Episodes, Please!

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited June 2011 in Klingon Discussion
I would like to suggest, ask, beg, and plead that the Dev's consider including "KDF-Flavored" Featured Episodes in their schedules.

As I brought up in this thread, I believe that one problem with the KDF faction is that the game assumes a lot of knowledge about the KDF races' culture and politics on the part of the player.

How can new players be expected to identify with a culture they know nothing about, especially when these characters are most often framed as "the bad guys" by much of the game's content? Yes, we do learn about them over time, but only a very little.

I would like to see more missions like Doomsday that have elements in them which teach a little bit about these "hostile" cultures. I would very much like to see missions that both Fed and KDF can complete which incorporate more background material about the Klingon Empire, Klingon culture, Orions and their culture, Gorn and their culture, etc.

Something along the lines of the "Cloaked Intentions" series which, among other things, allowed players to see Remans and Romulans as more than just "the bad guys" and exposed them to how these races think and act.

What about a mission where the player is taught a little bit about the Klingon language and has to use that knowledge to solve a puzzle? Maybe selecting the correct phrase out of a list?

What about missions where the player learns more about the Gorn? If the Borg are really out to assimilate the Gorn, those missions would be really good opportunities to teach the player about Gorn attitudes.

What about using missions involving the Orion Syndicate to really introduce new players to who the Orions are -- Not just a bunch of sexy green women?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    I like this idea.
    For me it is comparatively easy to get into the Klingon side of things after playing stuff like "Klingon Academy", which had incredible speeches by General Chang and gave such a wonderful feeling of an actual living culture.
    Like these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KwnfNpT8Cs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMrNRyq7Y44&feature=related

Reading novels like "The Art of the Impossible", "The Left Hand of Destiny" and the "IKS Gorkon Novel" also give a good feel for them.
    BUT can we expect everyone to know these sources?
    No.
    It should be the other way around, this game should be a way to introduce to the Klignons (and their allies) and maybe people will get interested enough to dig a little deeper.

So this idea has my support, there should be more background along with some more info why the other races allies themselves with the KDF.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    bluegeek wrote: »
    I would like to suggest, ask, beg, and plead that the Dev's consider including "KDF-Flavored" Featured Episodes in their schedules.

As I brought up in this thread, I believe that one problem with the KDF faction is that the game assumes a lot of knowledge about the KDF races' culture and politics on the part of the player.

How can new players be expected to identify with a culture they know nothing about, especially when these characters are most often framed as "the bad guys" by much of the game's content? Yes, we do learn about them over time, but only a very little.

I would like to see more missions like Doomsday that have elements in them which teach a little bit about these "hostile" cultures. I would very much like to see missions that both Fed and KDF can complete which incorporate more background material about the Klingon Empire, Klingon culture, Orions and their culture, Gorn and their culture, etc.

Something along the lines of the "Cloaked Intentions" series which, among other things, allowed players to see Remans and Romulans as more than just "the bad guys" and exposed them to how these races think and act.

What about a mission where the player is taught a little bit about the Klingon language and has to use that knowledge to solve a puzzle? Maybe selecting the correct phrase out of a list?

What about missions where the player learns more about the Gorn? If the Borg are really out to assimilate the Gorn, those missions would be really good opportunities to teach the player about Gorn attitudes.

What about using missions involving the Orion Syndicate to really introduce new players to who the Orions are -- Not just a bunch of sexy green women?

I'd love it if they turned the usual FE format on its head and made a mission for the Klingons and then adapted it to the Federation for a change. It could be done. Just look at the TV shows. There were plenty of Klingon stories there that contrasted Klingon culture with that of the Federation.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Consider this idea officially signed by yours truly. If the majority of new content coming our way is going to be faction agnostic, then all factions should be in the spotlight. Cloaked Intentions was a great example of this done right. The Breen and Devidian missions felt more like a Federation-centric series than truly neutral.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    introduce new players to who the Orions are -- Not just a bunch of sexy green women?

You mean they aren't? :D

Seriously, though, the Doomsday remastered episode (even though the KDF couldn't take it) gave me a bunch of good ideas for "KDF Versions" of the mission. For instance, instead of the Fed captain rescuing the Klingon who tried to stop the dishonorable actions of his captain, the story could be told from HIS point of view, with the Federation Captain being the NPC that comes along and helps him regain his honor.

Of course, there would have to be the changes to the story (the player would be the Captain and not a mutineer, and obviously the ending would have to be changed) but perhaps the KDF player could get a chance to captain his Fed ally's ship. (perhaps because his own is captured or disabled)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Apparently they are or were thinking of making a featured series about the Gorn or something to coincide with the release of their new changes but...apparently it won't be happening...I would like to see a KDF-centric series soon.....Heck, we can even have FED players fight as a Klingon using a holo emitter that makes them look like us...just as in doomsday....
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'll take any and every little bit we can get.

I would like to level up my KDF characters eventually and I'm only going to get so far with FE's, but it's better than grinding time I don't have.

But even more than that, I want the game to encourage more people to take an interest in the KDF faction -- as well as its' splinter factions.

Face it, Klingons are interesting! And there's so much more we could learn about the Orions and the Gorn that the game barely or ever touches on.

Where in the game are players ever told that the Gorn have a caste system -- and that there are genetic differences in the castes?

Where in the game does it explain why some Orion women are basically slaves and some are combatants and some are the ruling class? Where exactly do Orion men fit in?
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'll take any and every little bit we can get.

I would like to level up my KDF characters eventually and I'm only going to get so far with FE's, but it's better than grinding time I don't have.

But even more than that, I want the game to encourage more people to take an interest in the KDF faction -- as well as its' splinter factions.

Face it, Klingons are interesting! And there's so much more we could learn about the Orions and the Gorn that the game barely or ever touches on.

Where in the game are players ever told that the Gorn have a caste system -- and that there are genetic differences in the castes?

Where in the game does it explain why some Orion women are basically slaves and some are combatants and some are the ruling class? Where exactly do Orion men fit in?

The Orion men are part of the culture by being underlings or the more"influenced" than their female counterparts...I believe the relationship was explained on an episode of Enterprise but I do not remember what the name was.....
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The Orion men are part of the culture by being underlings or the more"influenced" than their female counterparts...I believe the relationship was explained on an episode of Enterprise but I do not remember what the name was.....

Speaking as someone who watched one episode of "Enterprise" during its' run, I have no basis for an understanding.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Speaking as someone who watched one episode of "Enterprise" during its' run, I have no basis for an understanding.

The Orions are a purely matriarchal society that pretends not to be from the outside. By 2409 I think everyone's figured them out though.
  • Options
    edited June 2011

The whole "slave" thing is a con. Orion women are like Elasians. Their pheromones allow them to seduce and control men, infiltrating their enemies' power structure and gaining control over them. What better way to ensure the men take in these infiltrators that to offer them as "slaves"? :D

Presumably, a large portion of the Orion culture is dedicated to identifying and training those who are most suitable for this purpose. They are likely taught not just seduction, but how to defend themselves if necessary, not to mention techniques for spying and delivering information. I would honestly say that in Orion culture, these Slave Girls would not be considered a lower class, quite the opposite.

I suppose it's possible that in some cases, individual Orions might not care for this aspect of their culture and would want to escape from it, which might perpetuate the myth that in fact the "slaves" are actual slaves. And of course the Orions themselves would want their enemies to believe this so their deceit is not discovered.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Kasensal wrote:
    The Orions are a purely matriarchal society that pretends not to be from the outside. By 2409 I think everyone's figured them out though.

If that's true, then why did B'vat have an Orion consort?

It may be the case that not every Orion "love slave" is actually a spy. While all Orion women have the pheromones, not all of them are able to control men with them.

Part of my Orion's unspoken background is the fact that she was indeed captured in a pirate raid as a young girl, and was in fact a slave for part of her youth (prior to maturity). So although she does have the ability to "Seduce" (in game terms), she was never part of the Orion ruling class and is more familiar with Ferengi and Klingon cultures than her own.

Besides, if the Orions aren't clever enough to keep everybody else guessing as to whether some of the women are actually slaves or not, I'll eat my d'k tahg point first.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Signed and bumped. Kdf feaured episodes, flavored or exclusive, would be a more than welcome addition. I'm really looking forward to the ds9 episodes, and seeing what they've done with the place. I think tying a kdf FE into the new Qo'noS map has epic written all over it.