test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Starship subsystem repair

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Hello,

i remember some moments in the past where i had no skillpoints in "Starship subsystem repair". If i remeber correctly my shields were really down for a long time when the phaser proc hit me f.ex. So i began to skill subsystem repair on all my builds and then there were a few moments where my shields were up again super-duper-fast, and i really thought it's worth spending some points for that skill.

But in the last time i heard many people say that there really is no noteicable effect if subsystem repair is skilled or not, and also i have some doubts.

So i'm asking for help if anyone can clarify that.

Thx.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Starship Subsystem Repair, quite literally, does nothing.

If anything, it'll shave a second off of subsystem disables. What you were noticing must've just been an accident. Phasers proc for 5 seconds. Depending on the nature of combat, that could be an eternity or nothing.

If you really want to make sure that you don't get hit with subsystem disables, pack an Engineering team. Fixes whatever's disabled and grants protection for 5 seconds after.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    STO Wiki seems to think that it will beef up engineering team and miracle worker. Not sure if this is true or not. It really dosen;t make sense to have a useless skill in the skill tree
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Godimas wrote: »
    STO Wiki seems to think that it will beef up engineering team and miracle worker. Not sure if this is true or not. It really dosen;t make sense to have a useless skill in the skill tree

I just checked in game - Engineering Team Leader, and Starship Engine Maintenance/Hull Repair are what boost EngTeam.

Subsystem Repair theoretically isn't supposed to be useless (especially when it's a T4 skill), but it's either bugged so that it's effect doesn't take place or it needs buffed since it's effect does so very little.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It must have at one point. STO Wiki is wrong again. So annoying.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    i run my tank with 0 points in subsystem repair, It is ( as far as i can tell) an absolutely useless skill.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    At one point I believe Miracle Worker used it but I believe all abilities now ignore it. I think the most it will do is shave some time off from target subsystems attacks, but not phaser procs since those are flat out 5 seconds. Similar to how a plasma beam proc cannot be removed with HE.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Actually, it's a passive skill that only gives a small edge on cruisers.

It doesn't affect the shields themselves, though theoretically if the shield subsystem becomes disabled, it affects its repair rate.

It affects the CREW ability to repair the hull. You need big amounts of crew for it to make a difference. If you don't have a ship with at least 1000 crew, ignore it. And even if you have those 1000+, the effect is not very good. There are better places to spend those skill points.

I checked the STOwiki and t says it affects Engineering Team and Miracle Worker. I'm not sure about ET, but I'd say that it doesn't affect directly MW, except as a bonus applied to the modifier that the amount of crew in a ship provides to MW. I mean that if the crew effect in MW is, for example, 1% of the total, having maxed SSR improves that amount to 1.52%. I'm not sure how big an impact the amount of crew has on MW, but SSR affects only the crew part of MW.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Maybe the connection to Miracle Worker and Crew explains why it's useless now. Miracle Worker effectiveness dependent a lot on crew, but this was very problematic, as most people that needed their miracle worker really urgently usually had not just lost tons of their hull, but also most of their crew. Nowadays, Miracle Worker's healing is independent on crew status. If Subsystem Repair _used_ to affect crew-related repairs, it might have helped Miracle Worker then, but with that relationship removed, Starship Subsystem Repair is useless.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Miracle Worker's healing is independent on crew status.

As is... literally everything else ;)

The only thing crew does is effect out-of-combat hull regeneration (which you can do much faster via hull heals anyways) and the tiny +X buff that Tac/Eng/SciTeams provide.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Between my Federation Engineer who uses it and my other characters that don't, I really see no difference at all.

With the upcoming DOFF system, they should just have it as a Rare DOFF ability and rework that Subsystem Repair skill to something more worthwhile. Perhaps like a Inertial Dampener passive ability or switch the Tier 4 Hull Healing skill with a new Tier 5 Engineering skill.

After all, players invest more skill points into Hull Repair, which is very inferior to the Hull Healing abilities of Hazzard Emitters.