test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Night Shift assignments: A suggestion for expanding the Duty Officer System

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Basically, if you use your skill training efficiently, most people have BOs they'll never use.

Now, building on the duty officer system architecture and the upcoming Department Head system, I think it would be cool to be able to use spare BOs as the night shift. (In Trek, there are simulated nights aboard ships where a secondary crew mans the stations.)

WoW and many other games have things like "rested XP" which awards extra XP based on time spent logged out at an inn. City of Heroes expanded this with Day Jobs where there are many different kinds of buildings you can log out in which provide different bonuses, including temporary powers.

I think this could be taken in a very Trek direction where we assign spare BOs and DOs to take care of the ship while we're offline, optimize certain systems, etc.

There's a concept in the novels of a Night-shift Commander who is roughly on par with a first officer.

My thought is, maybe we could actually have that as a BO assignment with a DO team dedicated to supply a choice of one of several bonuses including double XP boosts, an emblem, a consumable that supplies an Efficient Ship boost, etc.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    I like the idea:
    • It solves the problem of left-over DOffs
    • It enhances the new DOff system
    • It works like rested xp but with more choices

What if the bonus is partly done by logging off at specific social zones: Andoria, Qo'nos, Vulcan, etc.?
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I like the idea:
    • It solves the problem of left-over DOffs
    • It enhances the new DOff system
    • It works like rested xp but with more choices

What if the bonus is partly done by logging off at specific social zones: Andoria, Qo'nos, Vulcan, etc.?

That would be cool but I'm not sure if the tech exists for that.
  • Options
    edited June 2011

That one should be fairly easy to implement, but of course they'd want to design a large number of distinct options if they were going to have any. Straight "rested XP" is something they could more rapidly. Since Dan's been talking about having more ways to accelerate leveling (so they can concentrate on making VA content to satisfy everybody, instead of making Commander and Captain level content for the 90% of the playerbase that don't post on the forums), it would certainly make sense.

But then, they charge real money for accelerating your leveling, and that argues against providing a free system also that's so ubiquitous.
  • Options
    edited June 2011

We had a very similar idea early on, in fact.

When I asked Software about putting bridge officers on assignments several months ago, I thought it was 50-50 if I would leave the room alive. :( Fortunately, the programmer in question was behind a desk at the time which gave me the precious necessary seconds to escape intact.

Unfortunately, this falls into the "non-trivial technically" category. It may happen someday, but probably not anytime soon.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    syberghost wrote: »
    That one should be fairly easy to implement, but of course they'd want to design a large number of distinct options if they were going to have any. Straight "rested XP" is something they could more rapidly. Since Dan's been talking about having more ways to accelerate leveling (so they can concentrate on making VA content to satisfy everybody, instead of making Commander and Captain level content for the 90% of the playerbase that don't post on the forums), it would certainly make sense.

But then, they charge real money for accelerating your leveling, and that argues against providing a free system also that's so ubiquitous.

Those XP boosts also drop in game and sell for what works out to be a trivial amount of caswh if you play the exchange at all already.

It's a pretty trivial convenience that they sell those in the store.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Heretic wrote:

When I asked Software about putting bridge officers on assignments several months ago, I thought it was 50-50 if I would leave the room alive. :( Fortunately, the programmer in question was behind a desk at the time which gave me the precious necessary seconds to escape intact.

Unfortunately, this falls into the "non-trivial technically" category. It may happen someday, but probably not anytime soon.

So what if we just made the BO the Department Head for the nightshift and send DOs on assignments for XP boosts, rested XP, etc?
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    would b an excellant idea to provide emblems ext bonuses. maybe dif bonuses based on the BOs being tech, eng, or sci officers?
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I like the idea a lot, it reminds me of the TNG episode "Data's Day," where he's the officer of the deck for the night shift, and gets relieved by Riker.

The question is, what would VA's/LG's get while they're logged off?

An episode of Stoked suggested something very interesting regarding the offline Doff system: A Doff system mobile phone app. The app would let you send Doffs on missions while you're offline, possibly other things. So while you're on your coffee break at work, you can send a quick diplomatic mission and recruit a Caitian bridge officer. Then at lunch you can send Ensign Ricky to go defend an outpost. Since it's all happening behind the scenes anyway, what you do when you're not logged in will only effect Doff-based rewards and losses.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Heretic wrote:

Working at Cryptic sounds more hazardous to a person's health than I initially thought. XD
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Heretic wrote:

Any chance you can get that Programmer to explain why it is non trivial? I'm not calling it into question I'm just am interested in the behind the scenes stuff like this.