test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Miniguns, Shotguns and Rifles, oh my!

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
Anyone interested in the weapon changes for Season 4 should check out the latest episode of STOked. There's an interview with Al Riviera which has humongous news on whats being changed to ground combat. (For the better, IMO)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I want shotguns!
    edited May 2011
    Cpt.Clango wrote: »
    I want shotguns!

You got 'em. Arcwaves are being renamed and retooled as 'energy shotguns'.
    edited May 2011
    If you have additional ground combat questions, feel free to throw them in here!
    edited May 2011
    i love all the spoilers that are flying arround...

but... how will the Bat'leth's / melee weapons work with the new mode?

the only thing i fear is that i have to WASD + Mouse like an ego shooter... and in addition to that use those MMO Hotkeys all the time *need 3rd hand plz!*

i also have seen a picture of the minigun somewhere...
    edited May 2011
    If you have additional ground combat questions, feel free to throw them in here!

Ok I have a question. With the new Over the shoulder aiming coming up, is it going to be like, click to shoot? I've been hearing that its some kind of lock on thing... if it is click to shoot, will it give extra damage, since it is less accurate (especially for PvP)
    edited May 2011

I'm curious as to how support abilities like Medical Tricorder, Vascular Regenerator etc. will work when using the optional 3rd person aiming mode. Will we need to point our crosshairs at the friendly teammate in need to use these abilities? Is it a viable option, or should a healer just stick with the 'standard' ground combat mode?
    edited May 2011

Pistols; How will dual pistols feel different from firing a single pistol? Will there be more variation like from machine pistols to magnums or revolvers?
    edited May 2011
    Z3R0B4NG wrote: »
    i love all the spoilers that are flying arround...

but... how will the Bat'leth's / melee weapons work with the new mode?

the only thing i fear is that i have to WASD + Mouse like an ego shooter... and in addition to that use those MMO Hotkeys all the time *need 3rd hand plz!*

i also have seen a picture of the minigun somewhere...

I know melee isn't getting new animations but it would make sense to me if if it becomes a frontal arc AoE. Keeping in mind that swords and bat'leths/kirpas already seem to function differently.

One perk to swords right now is the "auto-charge" ability where you lunge at your target automatically. That's also present in, I think, some Tac kits and Caitian pounce. It's similar to Warrior charge/intercept in WoW.

I'm unclear how these abilities will function in reticle mode since they rely on a target.
    edited May 2011
    "If you have additional ground combat questions, feel free to throw them in here!"
    I have a question how exactly is this update effecting Bat'leth combat? I enjoy that kind of combat allot. My only problem is trying to take down 8 npcs in a group, with a total of five groups.
    edited May 2011
    Anyone interested in the weapon changes for Season 4 should check out the latest episode of STOked. There's an interview with Al Riviera which has humongous news on whats being changed to ground combat. (For the better, IMO)

PLZ don't spoil it for me!!! :(
    My Tivo doesn't download STOked until tonight... :rolleyes:
    edited May 2011
    Salami_Inferno, is there any chance of a little peak of the shotgun luvvin?
    edited May 2011
    getting shot with any of these weapons without shields should be deadly! balance that with weapons having horrible realistic accuracy! shooting someone 100 times is TRIBBLE!
    edited May 2011
    getting shot with any of these weapons without shields should be deadly! balance that with weapons having horrible realistic accuracy! shooting someone 100 times is TRIBBLE!

So the armour gear we have equipped serves no purpose?
    edited May 2011

Okay, you asked for it:

Since we've heard that you're retooling the Skill system (and possibly separating Space and Ground Skills), why not utilize the new reclassification of weapons systems to fill up the ground skill roster?

Have ways for us to specialize in Wide Beam Pistols, Stun Pistols, Energy Shotguns, Rifles, and Melee Weapons.

Have Scientists gain even more adaptability and usefulness out of Pistols. (How many times did we see Science-focused officers like Data, Spock, or Janeway utilize or modify Phaser Pistols for science-y stuff?) Imagine giving any Pistol utilized by a properly trained Science Officer the possible (low percentage chance) affect of causing a slow drain on the enemies health for a short while (5-10 seconds). This would be a single skill, with a slight disadvantage (say, accuracy vs percentage chance) if taken.

Have Engineers gain utility from the Energy Shotguns, having a small chance of being able to spread forms of radiation in the area the target stands in when hit. Also a single skill, with different disadvantage ("pure" damage vs DoT)

Let Tactical officers choose which weapon form to train, in, giving them the option to specialize in one, or try to balance their available skills vs what weapons they actually use.

If there was any indication of more Melee weapons (which as far as I'm aware their isn't) I would say break them down between bladed and blunt weapons, with the Lirpa gaining a divided advantage from both (make one attack blunt and one bladed, with the third being a blunt knock-back).

Throw in the Shock-Baton from Enterprise, a few Cryptic-designed Tellerite & Andorian Melee Weapons, keep the melee stock-hit on Energy Shotguns & Sniper Rifles, give some of the Pistols a Pistol-whip Melee (cough:PlasmaPhasers&Antiproton:cough), give the others obvious stabbing implements (cough:DisruptorsTetryon&Polaron:cough), and the Assault Rifles some Bayonet charge attacks, and you have a veritable cornucopia of Weapon Skills to throw at Ground Skills.
    edited May 2011
    raithos wrote: »
    So the armour gear we have equipped serves no purpose?

never helped storm troopers much. what i envision is the shields absorbing 2-5 shots depending on how powerful the shot that hits it, and someone with no armor like most mobs should go down in 1 powerful shot or 2 or 3 weak shots. with purple mk XII armor a player should be able to take no more then 6 or 7 shots. with this, battles wouldn't be shorter really, because the accuracy should be around 30% for most shots, maybe sniper shots should be more, and shotguns could be more accurate, but don't penetrate shields or heavy armor as well.

currently ive seen mobs take like 50+ shots, and any high rank mobs can take hundrads of shots with the healing they can do. in the show 1 shot was 1 kill, except with a main character with plot armor, bet they were at least taken out of action.
    edited May 2011
    uhh will weapons from certain factions have element(cold,heat, etc) damage on them? and will it effect what we're shooting at... for example (we're using a breen rifle which say has a cold elemant damage bonus... now while not so effective againts breen its deadly againts say the Tholians :O )
    edited May 2011
    Here's a question... with the changes to weapons in general, are there any plans to correct the models/textures for some well-known weapons?

I'm specifically referring to the TR-116, which currently looks nothing like what we saw on-screen.

I'd also like to be able to "disable visuals" and remove the holographic bits from my weapons, if possible. What are the chances of that happening?
    edited May 2011
    Mini Guns you say?

Interesting.... I wonder if they come with cool Terminator 1895 Sunglasses and an, "I'll be back" emote...

that would be awesome. Lol. I can't wait for season 4.
    edited May 2011
    Cpt. Clango
    • Ok I have a question. With the new Over the shoulder aiming coming up, is it going to be like, click to shoot? I've been hearing that its some kind of lock on thing... if it is click to shoot, will it give extra damage, since it is less accurate (especially for PvP)
    • It is click to shoot. The current implementation is left click for primary, right click for secondary, and mouse click for tertiary. It will be completely player customizable as well. The question of additional damage is something we’ve toyed with. We’re currently going to go without one heading into tribble and gather player feedback to see how that pans out.
    Thefrayl
    • I'm curious as to how support abilities like Medical Tricorder, Vascular Regenerator etc. will work when using the optional 3rd person aiming mode. Will we need to point our crosshairs at the friendly teammate in need to use these abilities? Is it a viable option, or should a healer just stick with the 'standard' ground combat mode?
    • If you use shooter mode as a healer you would have to point at the targets you want to heal. In situations where you want to have command of the battlefield, it’s smarter to be in RPG mode. That way you can scroll out and click targets as you normally would.
    Omega Hunter 9
    • Pistols; How will dual pistols feel different from firing a single pistol? Will there be more variation like from machine pistols to magnums or revolvers?
    • Dual pistols got fx and animation updates to make them look cooler. Aside from looks, they will behave differently from our other pistol types in the game.
    NitrousAvster
    • Salami_Inferno, is there any chance of a little peak of the shotgun luvvin?
    • New ground combat will be on tribble before you know it! Stay tuned!
    Raithos
    • So the armour gear we have equipped serves no purpose?
    • If course they have a purpose! An armorless, shieldless character will be at a significant disadvantage compared to a player that’s appropriately geared.
    edited May 2011
    Throw them you say?

You heard it here first people. Throwable weapons. It has been confirmed!
    *crosses fingers for Tribble grenades*
    edited May 2011
    Cuatela wrote:
    Here's a question... with the changes to weapons in general, are there any plans to correct the models/textures for some well-known weapons?

I'm specifically referring to the TR-116, which currently looks nothing like what we saw on-screen.

I'd also like to be able to "disable visuals" and remove the holographic bits from my weapons, if possible. What are the chances of that happening?

We'd like to make a weapon model pass someday, but that's not currently scheduled for Season 4.
    edited May 2011
    Chat wrote:
    Throw them you say?

You heard it here first people. Throwable weapons. It has been confirmed!
    *crosses fingers for Tribble grenades*

Well, speaking of throwing grenades:) I'm not sure if Al mentioned it, but you can now throw grenades regardless of target. You can look at a spot on the ground and you will throw it to that spot, or you can look at the sky and you will throw the grenade at that angle.
    edited May 2011
    Hey Salami, we going to have a graphical update of the AP weapons so they look less "toy like"?
    edited May 2011
    How about enabling armor and kit visuals for the KDF?
    edited May 2011
    Well, speaking of throwing grenades:) I'm not sure if Al mentioned it, but you can now throw grenades regardless of target. You can look at a spot on the ground and you will throw it to that spot, or you can look at the sky and you will throw the grenade at that angle.
    I just got a happy. :)
    Feels awkward.
    edited May 2011
    Im wondering about two potential additions, and one that might have been. First i wonder if since one of the melee weapons are one handed, that we could add a shield, or a dual option since we have dual pistols. Another thing is whether we couldnt have used an earthly melee instead of the tsukatse falchion from the delta quadrant.
    edited May 2011
    I know we are getting targeting reticles. But could sniper rifles zoom in as well as have the reticle?
    edited May 2011
    My big concern, as a Tactical player, is close combat. Currently I play from 3rd person because I run and gun, but also get in close, switch to melee, and lay in with the lirpa. How easy will it be with this new system to go from over-the-shoulder free aim to melee combat?
    edited May 2011
    Do enemies still fire their pistols right in my face ? I really don´t like that. :D

And on a related note, do my Boffs fire their weapons more often now or are they still in coma mode ? :o
    edited May 2011
    Obsidius wrote: »
    My big concern, as a Tactical player, is close combat. Currently I play from 3rd person because I run and gun, but also get in close, switch to melee, and lay in with the lirpa. How easy will it be with this new system to go from over-the-shoulder free aim to melee combat?

You can engage in melee combat while in shooter mode, so that's as fast as swapping weapons.

If you want to go from shooter mode with a rifle to RPG mode with a lirpa, you press "z" to swap weapons and "x" to swap from shooter to rpg mode. Pretty easy:)