test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

WARNING: Don´t buy STO without a Gametime Code!

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited July 2010 in The Academy
Well isn´t that special! :mad:

Was happy to find the game somewhat cheap and figured the sentence:
"This Activation Code entails 30 Days Gametime"

Means I can play 30 days after I register the key..

WRONG!

If you don´t want to submit any personal banking data like me, then you need to buy a GAMETIME CODE on top of your gamebox to get your FREE 30 days. :rolleyes:

I EFFIN HOPE!
Didn´t come that far yet in my Cryptic MMO experience. :mad:

Maybe anybody else successfully subscribed with game and GTC only?
NOT dumping anymore money in this until I know this works as the following text on the ADD SUBSCRIPTION page confuses the hell out of me.
Enter your Game Card key in the box below. Game Card keys are different than your Retail key and can be purchased separately. The below field will only accept Game Card keys. You can add a second retail key to your account after you complete the subscription process.
:confused:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    you can also use a Credit card to complete the process, and all major MMO require you to do this.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Lumikumi wrote: »
    all major MMO require you to do this.

I really don't get why people come around here and magically expect Cryptic to be different. This has been a standard practice in the industry for over 10 years now, and Cryptic is no exception. Further, if people would actually bother to READ THE FREAKING GAME BOX before they bought, after they bought it, as they opened it, or even after they noticed they didn't magically get automatic access to their promotional time, then they would notice that it says a credit card or other payment source is required to play.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    ivarST wrote:
    If you don´t want to submit any personal banking data like me,

Actually it was my bad. Couldn´t read the fine print as I bought the game box online.

It says right on the front of the box in nice fine print.
    Subscription mandatory.

TRIBBLE. Never buy new stuff online or presume something. :(
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    magically get automatic access to their promotional time, .
    When I pay money for the box it´s not promotional anything to me.
    Unless you know a way of Crypitc accepting my promotional money. :p

Anyway. Some peeps don´t buy MMOs all the time and magically know how the effed up industry standard works. :rolleyes:

So will I be able to successfully complete the subscription process with a GTC then? Or are there more "industry standard" hoops to jump through?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well, it's pretty typical for MMOs to want some sort of payment data on file, even if you don't actually use it. That said, I can understand why you wouldn't want your stuff on record with Cryptic.

Here's some solutions:

1. Some folks have reported luck with using test credit card numbers that are available on the web. These are dummy numbers used to test online retail systems. No money will come out from them, obviously, but they will register as valid. I haven't done this myself, but I'm told it works.

2. You can punch in whatever details, and then delete them from your account records afterwards. Note this is separate from cancelling reoccurring subscription billing, so cancelling the sub and deleting the card details are two different steps.

3. Use a game time card, as you've suggested. It does work, but then you have to spend money for an extra month or two, which you might not wish to do.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    OP here is the deal. all MMO ( that I have played, and I have played a lot) take a credit card up front. it does not charge you until after your free time is up. at anytime you can remove your card after you put it in the first time, and lastly all pay to play MMOs do this, so it is not an evil money grab, it is how things are done in the MMOs market.:)

/end Thread.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Acylion wrote:
    3. Use a game time card, as you've suggested. It does work, but then you have to spend money for an extra month or two, which you might not wish to do.
    Ah, thanks for this nicely constructive post to the problem. :)

So getting a GTC will finally allow me to complete the activation process.

Edit: Tried the test credit card numbers. But they don´t have a proper CVV and it´s almost like credit card fraud to me. ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Basically what the system does when you put in credit card details... is automatically sign you up on a reoccuring subscription plan.

This means that someone registering with a credit card is automatically signed up for a subscription as well.

That said, it signs you up for the subscription, it does not actually charge the credit card yet...and will not, until the end of 30 free days.

This is pretty typical for MMOs nowdays. I'm not sure why they do this. Perhaps they think players are too stupid to realise they need to pay month by month, and want to make sure you do. Maybe they want you to commit from the outset. I dunno.

That's just me trying to make sense of the business practice. I strongly disagree with this system, but I can kinda see the twisted logic. Or maybe they're just vampires that want our money. Whatever. Depends on how charitable I'm feeling, I guess. I've never seen anyone official explain why the registration system is designed this way, though there's been plenty of posts on how it works.

But yeah, using a Game Time Card removes any need for a credit card ever. They HAVE to do that, particularly for folks who don't HAVE credit cards; a lot of MMO gamers rely exclusively on store-purchased time cards, and Cryptic knows that.

Hence that's acceptable in lieu of signing up for a subscription plan.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    ivarST wrote:
    Edit: Tried the test credit card numbers. But they don´t have a proper CVV and it´s almost like credit card fraud to me. ;)

You can't use a fake credit card number. It has to be a real verifiable card.

You will not be billed until your free game time is up. At that time you will be started on a recurring monthly subscription.

You can remove your card information and cancel your account at any time. The account will remain active until currently active game time is expired.

Welcome! I hope you enjoy the game despite your problems.

:cool:
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    you can also use a Credit card to complete the process, and all major MMO require you to do this.

And "Immediately" thereafter you can cancel the subscription, choosing for it to stay active until the end of the pre-allocated time (30 days). Volla, you get your 30 days you paid for when you bought the game.

Ivar, you see this solves your problem? So much for a reason to complain. I will admit that the "Subscription Required - 30 Days Game Time Included With Purchase" message isn't extraordanarily clear, but it is in BRIGHT WHITE BOLD LETTERS on the box.

Now, the next question is (a) are you trying to register after referral? if so, you will still need to pay for at least one month (15.00) AFTER the 30 days for your "Friend" gets his referral credit. if you (b) bought this on your own, try the time and enjoy it.
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Yep nothing new in the mmo world.. /shrug
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    910burns wrote: »
    BRIGHT WHITE BOLD LETTERS on the box.

Now, the next question is (a) are you trying to register after referral? if so, you will still need to pay for at least one month (15.00) AFTER the 30 days for your "Friend" gets his referral credit. if you (b) bought this on your own, try the time and enjoy it.
    Pretty SMALL bright white letters mind you. But as I already said, had no chance of reading the box as I bought it online. And quite frankly wouldn´t have noticed it anyway.

Thanks for the tip about the referral key. As a nice fellow gave me a 10 day key after his referral, I´d very much like to give something back.
    GTC it is I guess. As I don´t do credit cards over the internet.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I really don't get why people come around here and magically expect Cryptic to be different. This has been a standard practice in the industry for over 10 years now, and Cryptic is no exception. Further, if people would actually bother to READ THE FREAKING GAME BOX before they bought, after they bought it, as they opened it, or even after they noticed they didn't magically get automatic access to their promotional time, then they would notice that it says a credit card or other payment source is required to play.

Star Trek has brought in a new breed of players some whom have never played an MMO before.
    Hence instead of insulting new comers they should be greeted and subsequently explained that this process is not any different requiring credit card or game time code. But yes the 30 days is free.....I cancelled Champions Online before my 30 was up and was not billed.

Help them out maybe some people really dont know :-)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I don't get the fuzz. I didn't use a credit card anywhere to activate, I simply used PayPal. Create an account there, use the e-mail, voila. You can enter your credit card on PayPal - or even not at all. I don't even *have* a credit card. If you just don't *want* to give Cryptic that info, I assume you are old enough to open a bank account. Problem solved.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    it is the same with most MMO...and buying online isnt reason to say "i couldnt read the print"

most the online places i looked, the "free 30 day trial" is right next to the "subscription required"...so hence forth need to read ALL info about product u are purchasing, but yes putting in a card then cancel it before 30 days is up and u are fine and wont be billed..

have a great day in space :D
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    THen do what I did and get a VISA debit card. Like a credit card but you use YOUR money instead.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I bet after you buy game time too you will like this game.After all STO does not require you to buy game time every month.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    edited for content that may offend the special people.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Or you could always just buy a lifetime sub and never worry about paying again! :p
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    its the industry standard, how every other mmo ive played does things.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    ivarST wrote:
    When I pay money for the box it´s not promotional anything to me.
    Unless you know a way of Crypitc accepting my promotional money. :p

Anyway. Some peeps don´t buy MMOs all the time and magically know how the effed up industry standard works. :rolleyes:

So will I be able to successfully complete the subscription process with a GTC then? Or are there more "industry standard" hoops to jump through?

Don't worry about the majority of rude replies you'll get here. Obviously most of them never noticed you saying you didn't want to put your bank info (ie credit card) in.

Retail Key = CD key that comes with the game It's what proves your game is purchased legitimately essentially and is unique to your account.
    Gametime Key is an alternative payment method that's totally seperate to your retail key and merely adds gametime to your existing retail account.

There are alternate payment methods to using a credit card including paypal etc. I (like Darth mentioned earlier) use a visa debit card and only have money needed for what i am buying right at that time in it, although for STO i have my lifetime, so don't need to worry anymore about my sub.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    All them folks talking about credit cards, did it occur to y'all even once, just once, that not everybody outside the USA, respectively in the EU, pays and buys with a plastic card?

What is a standard practice in the USA is by far not a standard in the EU. Far from it...

Companies need to get it in their freaking heads already....because stereotyping is fail!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Stereotyping exists because some social patterns are so prevalent and common that its sets a precendent for expected social traits from particiapnts of said society as a whole or by smaller social groups.

Hence, a US based company expecting the bulk of its customer base in the US to use credit cards as a means of payment is an expected situation.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    ivarST wrote:
    Well isn´t that special! :mad:

Was happy to find the game somewhat cheap and figured the sentence:
    "This Activation Code entails 30 Days Gametime"

Means I can play 30 days after I register the key..

WRONG!

If you don´t want to submit any personal banking data like me, then you need to buy a GAMETIME CODE on top of your gamebox to get your FREE 30 days. :rolleyes:

I EFFIN HOPE!
    Didn´t come that far yet in my Cryptic MMO experience. :mad:

Maybe anybody else successfully subscribed with game and GTC only?
    NOT dumping anymore money in this until I know this works as the following text on the ADD SUBSCRIPTION page confuses the hell out of me.

:confused:

/facepalm

10chars
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    ivarST wrote:
    Pretty SMALL bright white letters mind you. But as I already said, had no chance of reading the box as I bought it online. And quite frankly wouldn´t have noticed it anyway.

Thanks for the tip about the referral key. As a nice fellow gave me a 10 day key after his referral, I´d very much like to give something back.
    GTC it is I guess. As I don´t do credit cards over the internet.

You should really consider getting just one credit card to use for internet gaming if you are planning on playing online games. Keep the card separate from your other cards and use it only for online purchases. This insures that you can track any problems to the card quickly and have a good idea of where the problem may have occurred if there is one.

Really, if you going to do things online these days you are pretty much required to have at least one credit card to your name.

Short of that, ask your mom or dad if you can use theirs.

:cool:
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    All them folks talking about credit cards, did it occur to y'all even once, just once, that not everybody outside the USA, respectively in the EU, pays and buys with a plastic card?

What is a standard practice in the USA is by far not a standard in the EU. Far from it...

Companies need to get it in their freaking heads already....because stereotyping is fail!

As I said, I am in Europe, I did not use a credit card, and I had no trouble at all. I can't see the issue. There are many other online games or mailorders that will insist on a credit card, and not accept debit or PayPal, or even non-US based cards. Not the case here, so no stereotyping. Just because 'credit card' is the first/most popular payment way, it doesn't mean there aren't any others.
    If you look at the subscription box in your account settings, you will notice a box 'PayPal'. If you use it, there is no credit card required.
  • Options
    edited May 2010

It is a US game made by a US company so I don't think it is stereotyping.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Acylion wrote:
    That said, it signs you up for the subscription, it does not actually charge the credit card yet...and will not, until the end of 30 free days.

This is pretty typical for MMOs nowdays. I'm not sure why they do this. Perhaps they think players are too stupid to realise they need to pay month by month, and want to make sure you do. Maybe they want you to commit from the outset. I dunno.

It's by no means a practice exclusive to the MMO industry, it's not new, and it's always been with the knowledge that at least some people will forget to cancel after the 'free trial' and spend money that they wouldn't otherwise.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    you can also use a prepaid CC from like walmart or w/e if you prefer not to use ur personal cc
  • Options
    edited May 2010

In Germany you can pay via ELV, the most common payment method here. No idea if this available to other european countries.