What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

March 4th Infected sign here if you HAVE NEVER COMPLETED MISSION

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I have had a Science RA5 for a couple of weeks now and haven't really bothered to even try to find a group to do Infected. And that's mainly because of my experience with MMO's and PuGs. I think it will be a challenge the first time or two, but it really can't be all that hard to do. I mean come on, this is STO we're talking about here. Casual easy game is easily casual. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I've never done it and I never intend to in the future. That's not because I think it's a bad mission, it's just that I don't do content that always requires a team. (I don't do any of the fleet actions either.)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I've tried it once the day of release. Haven't bothered since. My entire fleet cancelled their accounts and haven't played since a week or two before Infected was launched. I also lost any interest in the episodes when i saw CaptGozer's responses to player concerns about it. I'm all for giving developers a break and i even posted in his defense in several other threads where he upset people with his bluntness, but his attitude to what is clearly the majority of remaining players in the threads i read about 'his baby" Infected was just enough to make me lose any interest in it.

I also posted a long feedback post (the PuG i went through it with gave up in the last room) which went (as all my feedback posts tend to be) ignored. I play from Australia and latency (in ANY MMO) is always an issue and in the STF it affected me but when i pointed that out i was belittled by someone who's never experienced the kind of latency people from OS play under and have to deal with "as a feature" of their gaming.

To me though the mission wasn't very creative, it was just swarm the players with endless drones until they have ground their way through it until the end then put in punishing and unforgiving game mechanics in the last room that don't actually challenge players much, just require them to survive another npc zerg, avoid the insta-gib plasma and hope everyone else on their team could as well.

If i could find 4 other nice folk, i'd be willing to have a go at it again but atm i really could not care less. If Cryptic think these raidisodes are challenging endgame, well yeah LOL is the politest way i can put it. Go look at WoW's 5 mans for ideas on creative yet challenging 5 man content. At least they make 5 mans that aren't just designed to kill players for making a mistake. WoW's not perfect and i don't even play it any more, but their 5 mans are actually pug friendly, still challenging and even fun (the first few times).
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    shadowgate wrote: »
    Again I refuse to be placed into a category of trying to make others feel bad. I am highly frustrated ,because I want to complete this mission ONE TIME. I am a lifetime member. I have been with the game since day one of Open Beta. I enjoy the game. I just would like to complete the mission once. Post after post on here says the same thing I haven't tried it or that they have tried it and given up.
    As my mother often said NO ONE CONTROLS HOW YOU FEEL EXCEPT YOURSELF.

Personally, I think its mistake trying to copy wow style raiding in this game. But if there is enough people interested in that type of content I do not have a problem with it. But there has to be decent content available for players who like to keep things casual, vent free and pug friendly. Content that allows for meaningful character progression and some roleplay.

With so many mmo's on the market that already have dynamic team oriented raiding you would think someone out there would say, lets try something different.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm RA5 and will probrably NEVER do either Infected or the Cure.

I have a lot of problems with group politics and nothing but issues with PUGs. After playing a lot of other MMOs I've learned to stay far away from guilds (too much drama, not enough "get the job done" by those whose entire e-peen depends on theirs being the top guild on the server), PuGs (nothing but issues due to having never worked together before). I find it easier to do things solo (never mind those nits who think the M in MMO means "multiple" - there's plenty of other ways to be social other than groups/guilds).

Same with other forced group content - matter of fact, focusing on STF actions in future is about the only thing that's get me to leave.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Thrax73 wrote:
    But there has to be decent content available for players who like to keep things casual, vent free and pug friendly. Content that allows for meaningful character progression and some roleplay.

The problem is, everyone has another definition of what casual friendly is. I, for example, think infected is very casual friendly and i did it many times with a PUG. But well, I think difficulty sliders will solve that problem, i'm sure there will be settings from ridiculous easy to insanly hard.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Pyryck wrote:
    I have had a Science RA5 for a couple of weeks now and haven't really bothered to even try to find a group to do Infected. And that's mainly because of my experience with MMO's and PuGs. I think it will be a challenge the first time or two, but it really can't be all that hard to do. I mean come on, this is STO we're talking about here. Casual easy game is easily casual. :)

Haha try infected, its unlike anything else in STO. It was as if they designed it to **** people off.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I havent tried yet, wanted to get in it with my Fleet, but it seems to be dying.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Infected and 'The Cure' are both absolutely terrible STFs, Infected has been pretty much ditched now with no improvements and if anyone has tried 'The Cure' knows all too well how bad this one is, if you think Infected is bad - 'The Cure' is 10x worse than infected. Heck, even some of the new fleet actions are terrible too! The new DS9 one is almost like Infected, one giant zerg with Assault Legits constantly popping down Photonic Turrets, at one point one of the DS9 corridors was so full of mobs, my gaming rig practically had a stroke.

STo is dying, poor decision making, poor design and not listening to the general players concerns and acting on them are the main reasons why people are quitting en-masse.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Actually i have completed Infected twice of the 8 times I have started the mission, that leaves six unsuccessful attempts.The first time I went we ran out of time, the other 5 times I bugged out and couldn't complete. The beauty of bugging out was each of the 5 times i bugged out in a new and exciting way. Perhaps this is what Criptic meant when they said the game would have original content.

As far as the mission being "hard", hard consists of locating the nodes and after one attempt that's done and jumping. I wow i was as they say a jumper. I kept buying the same outdated mouse cuz it was perfect for jumping. The controls in this game are so unresponsive I can hardly jump 3 times in a row.

Now there we go again. According to Jack back in good old days before wow developers could release substandard, incomplete software and now wow has ruined everything and now jumpers expect to be able to like u know...jump.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Wow, five hours for Infected, eh? I'm one of those casual gamers as well that really can't dedicate more than a few hours to a given gaming session.

I have faith they will be pushing out more end-game content for the casual playerbase in the future. These long raidisodes are necessary to cater to those who expect it in an MMO.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Rasal wrote:
    Wow, five hours for Infected, eh? I'm one of those casual gamers as well that really can't dedicate more than a few hours to a given gaming session.

I have faith they will be pushing out more end-game content for the casual playerbase in the future. These long raidisodes are necessary to cater to those who expect it in an MMO.

Infected could be done in less than 2 hours with a competent group and having no one leave. The Cure is currently 4+ hours, expect tomorrow a huge $$$$storm of complaints and whines from people doing 'The Cure' and the new DS9 fleet action, heck tomorrow I would bet on another round of cancelled subs.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I love the space part.

After that, I have only managed to kill the mid boss once. Now I sit with 'Deeper into the Mystery' in my quest log. Every few days when I feel like my day has been too pleasant, I try to complete the generator room.

I have never gotten past 3/4 viruses uploaded. At that point, 2 people are usually dead and people start quitting and the group falls apart.

I chatted with Craig about this during the Tribble event last Friday. He asked me what I thought was too hard, and I eventually just got shouted down by everyone proclaiming how easily they beat it.

I have tried this room at least 10+ times now. Everyone knows the strategy. I vote to increase the amount of time we have to upload the virus on all 4 generators.

Currently our game content goes insanely easy solo>moderate difficulty solo>hardcore 5 man.

Shouldn't the progression be more like insanely easy solo>moderate difficulty solo>moderate difficulty 5 man>hardcore 5 man and beyond?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I have not completed it as I have no desire to play it. Required grouping. Ground combat heavy. Borg. No thanks. I assume that I won't be playing The Cure either.

Zero interest in any of this Rear Admiral content. Haven't played the game in weeks. Such a shame.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm really concerned about the fact "infected" must be completed to have access to "The Cure". I think most players don't know this and if they find this out after the patch many will ragequit because of blocked access to raidisodes content. I also think that the devs do not realize that many who did "Infected" were only able to do this by using several exploits.

Devs, content that have to be unlocked is really not that kind of mechanic you can use in a time where you start to introduce endgame content. If STO would have half a dozen different raidisodes and you would introduce 2 new hardmode raidisodes then it would be ok to use such kind of unlocking mechanic.
    What you are currently do is in my eyes a major fault I saw devs of other MMOGs doing too: Catering the small crowd of hardcore players and do not care about the needs of your average players. Can only repeat me: Before you start using mechanics like in "Infected" (e.g. timers, respawn, hopping) you first must introduce several normal raidisodes.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Druuna wrote:
    I'm really concerned about the fact "infected" must be completed to have access to "The Cure". I think most players don't know this and if they find this out after the patch many will ragequit because of blocked access to raidisodes content. I also think that the devs do not realize that many who did "Infected" were only able to do this by using several exploits.

Devs, content that have to be unlocked is really not that kind of mechanic you can use in a time where you start to introduce endgame content. If STO would have half a dozen different raidisodes and you would introduce 2 new hardmode raidisodes then it would be ok to use such kind of unlocking mechanic.
    What you are currently do is in my eyes a major fault I saw devs of other MMOGs doing too: Catering the small crowd of hardcore players and do not care about the needs of your average players. Can only repeat me: Before you start using mechanics like in "Infected" (e.g. timers, respawn, hopping) you first must introduce several normal raidisodes.

Ya know my 2 cents I hate "raid gating" meaning you have to do A raid before you can do B raid etc. One of my main pet peeves with lord of the rings online.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Druuna wrote:

Agree, watch the poopstorm hit when people find out they can't do The Cure!

I am for this tho, because it helps people learn how to do STF's. From what I have heard The Cure is harder than The Infected, so it would suck to bring someone that has never done a STF before. imo
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    mrlee95 wrote: »
    Agree, watch the poopstorm hit when people find out they can't do The Cure!

I am for this tho, because it helps people learn how to do STF's. From what I have heard The Cure is harder than The Infected, so it would suck to bring someone that has never done a STF before. imo

Oh frack me.

I was looking forward to The Cure because I heard it was more space-focused than ground focused.

Now I'm going to have to actually finish that damn Simmons encounter *eyeroll*
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    all my characters are still Lt Commanders. yep, going slow :) so I probably won't tackle it for a month or so.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Kelteel wrote: »
    The problem is, everyone has another definition of what casual friendly is. I, for example, think infected is very casual friendly and i did it many times with a PUG. But well, I think difficulty sliders will solve that problem, i'm sure there will be settings from ridiculous easy to insanly hard.

Its not very casual friendly content if people leave mid run from frustration. Need I remind you that none-NONE-of the content leveling up did anything to teach players how to cope with this kind of content. It was the exact opposite, complete with a built in group, your bridge crew. No learning curve, now content that requires unlocking for progression. Didn't EQ scrap that idea because it was a big waste of time?

I really enjoyed leveling up-the episodes-call me a easymode carebear, makes no difference to me. I play games to relax and have fun. I liked the fact that the missions were easy enough you didn't have to worry about someone TRIBBLE it up for you. In-fact it gave the leeway for some great roleplay. So have all the raids the customer base demands, but don't think you will keep players like me subscribed by tossing us out into the B'tran.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    DASOTAdex wrote: »
    I love the space part.

After that, I have only managed to kill the mid boss once. Now I sit with 'Deeper into the Mystery' in my quest log. Every few days when I feel like my day has been too pleasant, I try to complete the generator room.

I have never gotten past 3/4 viruses uploaded. At that point, 2 people are usually dead and people start quitting and the group falls apart.

I chatted with Craig about this during the Tribble event last Friday. He asked me what I thought was too hard, and I eventually just got shouted down by everyone proclaiming how easily they beat it.

I have tried this room at least 10+ times now. Everyone knows the strategy. I vote to increase the amount of time we have to upload the virus on all 4 generators.

Currently our game content goes insanely easy solo>moderate difficulty solo>hardcore 5 man.

Shouldn't the progression be more like insanely easy solo>moderate difficulty solo>moderate difficulty 5 man>hardcore 5 man and beyond?

That without a doubt is the most logical suggestion I have seen so far. Increase the time we have to upload the virus by 4 additonal minutes.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It hasnt worked for me either.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    paddoxx wrote: »
    I'm RA5 and I've actually never got round to doing it.

Same here. I'm actually on a short break from STO. I just log in, to my explore daily, then log out. I'm not bored with the game I just don't feel like playing at the moment. I'll get around to it one of these weekends
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Thrax73 wrote:
    Its not very casual friendly content if people leave mid run from frustration. Need I remind you that none-NONE-of the content leveling up did anything to teach players how to cope with this kind of content. It was the exact opposite, complete with a built in group, your bridge crew. No learning curve, now content that requires unlocking for progression. Didn't EQ scrap that idea because it was a big waste of time?

I really enjoyed leveling up-the episodes-call me a easymode carebear, makes no difference to me. I play games to relax and have fun. I liked the fact that the missions were easy enough you didn't have to worry about someone TRIBBLE it up for you. In-fact it gave the leeway for some great roleplay. So have all the raids the customer base demands, but don't think you will keep players like me subscribed by tossing us out into the B'tran.

Quoted For Truth
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I have yet to get my first character to RA5 yet lol I level slowly, see. Work etc
    Intrepidox wrote: »
    Quoted For Truth

I have a horrible picture in front of me, a picture of a game where all the things that would make it hard are entirely optional, and so up to you to use. A game where the devs dont have to code it to be hard, because they put in an optional DP, an optional difficulty slider, etc, so you make it hard (or not) on your own. A game where they think theyre making it the best of all worlds, because theyre douing what everyone wants. Where, when ppl complain that they want something, and the devs point at the optional system already in existance and go "you already have it" and miss the point entirely of what everyone wanted
    I think this is gonna be a huge mess of epic proportions.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Just hit Captain 6. Not on Infected, yet. I intend to do it ASAP, though. :D
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I just ran it again tonight, 11th time i think... No wipes!

I looked for a group that uses Vent. You really don't need vent for it, but it helps people who haven't done it before. Communication is the KEY.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    mrlee95 wrote: »
    I just ran it again tonight, 11th time i think... No wipes!

I looked for a group that uses Vent. You really don't need vent for it, but it helps people who haven't done it before. Communication is the KEY.

I sit here and think about getting in a group to do the quest. Then I think oh sure waste the few hours I have left getting ****ed off cause some moron can't jump, or some other moron can't seem to put the code in when everyone says go, or yet another moron goes off in the completely opposite direction that you have taken the time to explain to them and on and on and on and on and on.
    Yet as someone else pointed out you cant go to the next mission without completeing this one so I am stuck until I finally get lucky and get passed the damn thing.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Its a huge learning curve, once u learn it its really not so bad. Problem is nothing in this game prepares u for it at all if cryptic had low level content that had some difficulty people would be use to it but that not the case. Theres also different stages of learning it, its funny listening to people who still dont understand patrols, or how exactly nodes respawn and who actually summons more borg. Still if u know the basic layout of nodes and dont pull everything u should be fine.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Thrax73 wrote:

It was never my intention to critize your play style nor will i ever call a player carebear. Since i have played WoW on a RPG Server, i am usually the one who is called carebear ;) And that is all what i was saying, everyone has a different definition of how difficult content should be. I'm sure if cryptic changes the difficulty of infected to a level which you like, there will be still threads like this one.